News from Sema

• Thread starter cudadude2
  • 758 comments
One slight word of caution, because I see other posters here getting as excited as I am about this news and speculating that production may be nearly complete. We can't assume at the moment that production started any earlier than this week or that production is under way for all regions yet.

Hopefully Sony will give us some more concrete good news in the next few days!

as they announced 13th of october they couldn't meet the 2 november deadline ...

it would be wise to focus on the first week of december ... i think 💡

With the game having gone gold, an early December release seems likely. Late November would be amazing though, because I probably won't have much time for GT5 in December.

I just read the following:

Credit to ADTR in the GT5 Delayed thread.

http://www.sonydadc.com/opencms/opencms/sites/sony/global_capabilities.html

Edit: There is a map on this page which may be showing the actual locations.

http://www.sonydadc.com/opencms/opencms/sites/sony/index.html

according to the first link. Sony makes 1.8 billion discs peryear. If 5% of these discs are Blueray and Sony focussed purely on GT5 then it would take 30.5 days to manufacture 7.5 million discs....

Just pure speculation, but this seems pretty tight to me, given that 5% blueray is possibly conservative, but would Sony want to dedicate 30 days of production purely to one product??

http://www.cnet.com.au/how-blu-rays-are-born-inside-the-sydney-factory-339296892.htm

CNET
Sony has unveiled its newest Blu-ray manufacturing plant in western Sydney, which will produce both PlayStation games and movies, and is the only one of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere, and we got to see it.

The facility was officially opened last night by Communications Minister Stephen Conroy, and Ghostbusters: The Video Game was allegedly one of the two discs he plucked off the production line.

The new plant is an extension of the existing DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corporation) factory, which also produces DVDs and CDs, and it is capable of printing 12 million Blu-rays a year.

The new extension houses three "injection molding" machines that make the physical discs: of which two are used to produce Blu-ray movies such as Twilight and Last Chance Harry, and the third is dedicated to PS3 games. That's 11,000 games produced every day!

I wonder how many they will intially have to produce. Obviously Europe is going to need the most copies.

Does anyone know if its possible to find out how many copies of GT5 have been pre-ordered? Im especially curious to find out how many signature editions have been pre-ordered.

That makes no sense .... they announced 13th of October they couldn't meet the promised 2nd november releasedate ... say three weeks before releasing...

(and yes that was just before going gold then)

whatever number they wanted to produce for that batch... they could do it in 2 to 3 weeks ... so don't understand your worries ....:confused:

They need AT least 5 millions out worldwide to make sure to have enough I guess? :P God bless Europe for being the GT zone so we get most of those hopefully :D

They need AT least 5 millions out worldwide to make sure to have enough I guess? :P God bless Europe for being the GT zone so we get most of those hopefully :D

Which is why anyone that cancelled their pre-order because it was delayed should make their way down to their local store and pre-order it again. Because it's definitely a realistic possibility that they aren't going to be able to ship enough initially to cover the demand. And if those people were frustrated about a delay, just imagine how frustrated they're going to be when people are playing the game but they can't because they canned their pre-order.

They need AT least 5 millions out worldwide to make sure to have enough I guess?

looking at GT4 sales - yes that seems spot on.

who cares if they have enough for everyone though, first come first served and i'm near the front of the queue :dopey: :greedy:

Which is why anyone that cancelled their pre-order because it was delayed should make their way down to their local store and pre-order it again. Because it's definitely a realistic possibility that they aren't going to be able to ship enough initially to cover the demand. And if those people were frustrated about a delay, just imagine how frustrated they're going to be when people are playing the game but they can't because they canned their pre-order.

hahaha guess nobody cancelled ... too much effort for them ... they just made a lot of noise:sly:

I thought it was 7 million.

Anyone who spat their dummy out and cancelled their pre-order shouldn't be allowed to order it again. In fact Ben Collins told me Kazunori has been harvesting IP and email addresses of all the people who claimed to have cancelled their orders or were declaring rage at PD and has issued them to the retailers to block them ordering GT5.

I'd say it's most likely that they won't have enough at launch. The smart thing to do for them is to do an initial shipment of as many copies as they can and then start a second one asap so the wait between the gold master and retail copies sent to stores isn't a big as it could be. They could be stupid and wait for a while to accumulate enough but I feel like doing the two part (or more) split is the better choice because it'll generate demand. You need to make at least enough so that most people are covered while keeping a bit on the side so the "sold out" effect is there.

Either way, my pre-order was set & fully paid months and months ago so I should be all good (if not, I'll kill lots of people!).

They better get their act together and announce the date at SEMA or else, usual GT story where Sony doesn't have a clue what to do and PD taking the blame every time.

And if those people were frustrated about a delay, just imagine how frustrated they're going to be when people are playing the game but they can't because they canned their pre-order.
It's their own fault. It's GT we're talking about here, I don't think you could ever expect any games in the GT series not being delayed or having problems along the road. It happened with each of them and I don't think it'll ever really stop! People just need to suck it up and wait, there aren't many things to do other than that since even if you'd dance on your head it wouldn't make things go by any faster so yeah, their own damn fault, fools! :P

I think the 7 millions figure was just something thrown around as to what they could press in a month time or something? Either way, the more the better but as people said, first come first served :P

Anyone who spat their dummy out and cancelled their pre-order shouldn't be allowed to order it again. In fact Ben Collins told me Kazunori has been harvesting IP and email addresses of all the people who claimed to have cancelled their orders or were declaring rage at PD and has issued them to the retailers to block them ordering GT5.

I don't blame anyone that did cancel their order, they had every reason to be annoyed and do so.

I think the 7 millions figure was just something thrown around as to what they could press in a month time or something? Either way, the more the better but as people said, first come first served :P

Got ya 👍

I've never noticed other ginormous games (COD etc) selling out so even with the disrupted schedule I'm pretty sure there will be mountains of discs on shelves and with retailers but as long as Amazon does have a first come first served policy I'm alright Jack :D

I don't blame anyone that did cancel their order, they had every reason to be annoyed and do so.

Fair enough if that's how you feel but cancelling your order in a fit of rage serves no purpose whatsoever and is pretty immature IMO, I'd put money on them all buying the game anyway once it's out!

MOH.....fairly big release that will sell to hardcore and casual gamers alike.....sold 2 million copies in it's first 2 weeks....thats world wide! Talk of having 7 million copies produced before hitting the shelves seems a little overkill, What are the dates regarding this X-Box camera thingy.....probubley GT release stratergy will be linked with that

I do because in my opinion it was extremely foolish. I know for a fact that anyone who cancelled their pre orders from Shop to or play.com will be put at the back of the queue if they pre order GT5 again.

Still I cannot see a shortage of copies though. Considering Sony are hoping GT5 will sell PS3 consoles I cannot believe they will be silly enough to not produce enough copies during the busy xmas shopping period. I have never seen a shortage of GTA or COD games so I cannot see this occuring with GT5.

The only problem I see for those who cancelled their pre-orders and re-ordered is you might struggle to recieve the game 1 day before the release. As we know the likes of Shop to & play.com post their games early but if your at the back of the queue you may have to wait.

It was supposed to be released today in Europe. Sorry but what PD Kaz or Sony say means little to nothing for me "as we speak". :lol:

pmJEf.gif

lol

How about this:

How long does it take to manufacture a Blu-ray (producing the master, replication, packing, and shipment) once the authoring is complete??
*****: The first step towards producing a finished Blu-ray video disc is to add encryption using the required AACS copy protection. Then we burn the master and produce test discs, whose quality we examine thoroughly. We only begin replicating the discs when our strict quality criteria have been met. If you include printing and packing, we need about 10 to 15 working days for the whole process, depending on the size of the order and how urgent it is. Very urgent orders can be delivered in less than a week.

Just remember GT is been printed at most of the BLu Ray factors. There is no way they will use one factory for the whole world. Then we can expect the game around March. As to review copies they have to be sent out soon, giving the reviews enough time to play and write a review.

Just remember GT is been printed at most of the BLu Ray factors. There is no way they will use one factory for the whole world. Then we can expect the game around March. As to review copies they have to be sent out soon, giving the reviews enough time to play and write a review.

I don't care about reviews! :| I'd like to review it for myself.

:dunce: You really think they're gonna send out copies for reviews and hold the rest until reviews are written and articles come out? Come on. Think a little bit.

:dunce: You really think they're gonna send out copies for reviews and hold the rest until reviews are written and articles come out? Come on. Think a little bit.
Where have you been dude every other game in history has been done this way. I work in the industry as well, i should know.

Back