No GT6 till 2015?

• Thread starter monildan
  • 189 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no-one on this forum that actually works at PD, than this entire thread is pointless until GT6 is officially announced. Until that time, we are all just wasting our time reading and writing in this thread.

Yes that means you too!

monildan
So today in the E3 Sony chairman Kaz Hirai said that there were no plans of Sony coming out with PS4 until the 10 year life cycle of ps3 comes to an end..

As The Wall Street Journal reports, Hirai further added that he's "always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that." That ten-year life cycle would place the PS3's end-of-life around 2016, but as with the PS2 and PS3, we'd expect some overlap between the PS3 and its eventual successor.

Looking at this, i see very little hopes of getting a GT6 till that time because i would assume that the graphic capabilities of GT6 would be far more than what the current gen of playstation offers..do you guys think PD will support GT5 for atleast a couple years from now??

Meaning continue giving seasonals/OCD/DLC's?

I want the PS4 ASAP, backwards compatible with PS3 games, both consoles practically belong in a museum

GT6 should be a launch title for PS4 in 2013/2014 and that would be excessively late, its already late, but that would also give adequate time for GT6 as a launch title, use the same engine but better textures.

I would say Sony would push for GT6 to be a launch title for PS4.. Just imagine the sales of that Baby..would blast XBOX 720 to outer space....:dopey:

i was thinking the same thing

Lets break this down....

How well does everybody here think GT6 would sell? As well as GT5? 75% as well as GT5? Better than GT5?

Personally, I think it would sell AT LEAST as well as GT5. If PD can put something together that adds significantly more new content than they can push through DLC in the form of more, and more current premium cars, a few new tracks, and perhaps a few other enhancements I think most of us would consider that to be a "win."

That's a lot of money they'd be leaving on the table if they waited for a PS4 to be released before coming out with another GT title. I'm not a businessman by trade, but I really have to think that they're desperately trying to get another GT game out for the PS3.

it all depends on when the ps4 would be launched. i think more copies of the game would be sold if it was a launch title.

If there is no-one on this forum that actually works at PD, than this entire thread is pointless until GT6 is officially announced. Until that time, we are all just wasting our time reading and writing in this thread.

Yes that means you too!

aren't 99% of the threads on this site pointless then?

this is what message boards are for.... to create discussions

Kaz actually said that GT6 will be GT5 with a couple of added modules. Also Kaz said in a recent interview that they arent even working on GT6.

Kaz actually said that GT6 will be GT5 with a couple of added modules. Also Kaz said in a recent interview that they arent even working on GT6.

A search for this on Google doesn't show either of these things to be true. Polyphony Digital confirmed Gran Turismo 6 was in development, just before GT5 launched.

No He didn't ,GT6 is very Much in Development .Some Stuff during this Development will be released as GT5 DLC (Some New cars,Tracks,etc).Some won't and will be carried over to GT6.

I for one think PD already must know what Console GT6 will be Released on and if the Increasing Frequency of DLC releases is indicative of anything it is that Maybe the PS3 will only Have One GT Game. /2 cents

Please provide an example or do not make a claim like that. I have not heard anything of the such, especially since we have heard he has been working on 6 since 5 was released.

Please provide an example or do not make a claim like that. I have not heard anything of the such, especially since we have heard he has been working on 6 since 5 was released.
This is what I heard as well, but here's a quote relaying the fact that they are indeed working on GT6.
Of course we’re working on GT6 already and I think what really will be the separating factor is something that we can’t update through a DLC is something that obviously has to be saved for GT6. Things that we can provide through DLC we will, so that’s really the market difference.

https://www.gtplanet.net/new-gran-turismo-5-dlc-approximately-every-two-months/

Not a super concrete answer, but of course Kaz always has a way with words.

I actually enjoy working. So I do not tend to want to take a Holiday. And of course there are still many things I can do for Gran Turismo. This will probably lead me to begin the development of GT6. Whatever happens I can assure you that waiting for GT6 will not be as long as that of Gran Turismo 5.

https://www.gtplanet.net/tgs-interviews-yamauchi-talks-standard-cars-damage-gt6-more/ - September 21st, 2010.

Last edited:
So today in the E3 Sony chairman Kaz Hirai said that there were no plans of Sony coming out with PS4 until the 10 year life cycle of ps3 comes to an end..

As The Wall Street Journal reports, Hirai further added that he's "always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that." That ten-year life cycle would place the PS3's end-of-life around 2016, but as with the PS2 and PS3, we'd expect some overlap between the PS3 and its eventual successor.

Looking at this, i see very little hopes of getting a GT6 till that time because i would assume that the graphic capabilities of GT6 would be far more than what the current gen of playstation offers..do you guys think PD will support GT5 for atleast a couple years from now??

Meaning continue giving seasonals/OCD/DLC's?

Sony has always had a 3 yr overlap for their consoles, meaning that although the PS2 ends it's 10 yr life in 2016, if they follow their previous actions that would put the PS4 on shelves as early as 2013. They like to introduce the next system at about yr. 7 so that they can still generate revenue from the old while trying to launch the new and have it establish it's place in the market. I read this somewhere a while back, iirc it was at a Sony site. All we can do is wait and see I guess.

A search for this on Google doesn't show either of these things to be true. Polyphony Digital confirmed Gran Turismo 6 was in development, just before GT5 launched.

No He didn't ,GT6 is very Much in Development .Some Stuff during this Development will be released as GT5 DLC (Some New cars,Tracks,etc).Some won't and will be carried over to GT6.

I for one think PD already must know what Console GT6 will be Released on and if the Increasing Frequency of DLC releases is indicative of anything it is that Maybe the PS3 will only Have One GT Game. /2 cents

DeathSarthe provided the proof. It looks like I was wrong though.

Last edited:
We have to understand that what Kaz means by "starting development of GT6" is that he'll be thinking about what features go into it, based on how all the other versions of GT turned out: i.e. what was cancelled, what they never thought of, what didn't work etc. For example, they have stuff kicking about that didn't make it into GT5, and won't make it into GT5 (via patching or DLC) but can be saved for a consolidated future release.
It's about packaging of ideas, features and mechanics, and evolving the content production, coding and testing processes around that to head in a given direction until they have made enough progress to warrant a new release. This could be likened to making a long journey and deciding where and when to rest along the way.

I maintain that Kaz began work on "GT6" back when he was pitching his ideas for Gran Turismo to Sony; so in around 1991. Of course, a more immediate, less nebulous answer is that Kaz "started" GT6 once he returned to work after GT5's release. But it sort of misses the idea of "ongoing development" entirely, and so an exact date is irrelevant.

If MS releases a new system you can bet that Sony will do it's best to have a new system out within the next year. They cannot be late to the party again because I just read that MS had a 47% hold on the video game market share. Could you imagine if Sony releases 3 to 4 years after MS new system, and then Ms releases 1 to 2 years after them. They would be lost. I only hope Kaz would bring a game every 2-3 yrs because even though it is awesome there's too much competition to be late.

I would say Sony would push for GT6 to be a launch title for PS4.. Just imagine the sales of that Baby..would blast XBOX 720 to outer space....:dopey:

If PS4 isn't here until 2016, the next Xbox (not "720") should have been on shelves for a few years already, by which point it should have an installed base of maybe 30 million units; perhaps even more without a PS4 as direct competition. Launching with GT6 wouldn't even be felt by a console with tens of millions of users already in place.

If PS4 isn't here until 2016, the next Xbox (not "720") should have been on shelves for a few years already, by which point it should have an installed base of maybe 30 million units; perhaps even more without a PS4 as direct competition. Launching with GT6 wouldn't even be felt by a console with tens of millions of users already in place.

That would be true if Sony refrain from releasing the PS4 for a couple of years until after the new XBOX is released..If the new XBOX releases with a ton of VRAM as well as upgraded technology, PS4 will have to be released by Sony just to keep up with being able to support the games which release for both the consoles simultaneously...

Games like COD, Battlefield etc will look mind blowing on the XBOX and just really drab on the PS3..dont think Sony can afford that kind of mistake...

I heard something interesting on the radio today from a national tech junkie (Kim Komando) who was at CES. She said that for the first time, "all three gaming console companies will be announcing their next generation console at [this year's] E3."

Either she is FoS or this summer will ring in a level playing field for the next generation of consoles.

Yeah, I know what Kaz H said. RIGHT NOW they are focusing on the PSV not being an uber failure. We'll see what happens at E3. Why the frack don't they just tell the damned truth, "we are working on PlayStation 4, our developers are creating games for it as we speak, we are not announcing anything at this time.". Do they think they are going to surprise us or something??? The only way they could do that is to announce that the PS4 will be in stores the week following E3.

One idea that could advance GT6 is a little more incentive to play online. I think the levelling system should be scrapped from single player, and put into online. If there were a level and unlockable system in online it would bring more desire to enjoy all facets of the game. Obviously, there needs to be a matchmaking system as well. I have a feeling why something along those lines wasn't included was hardware limitations, because I remember reading how focused KY was on making online comprehensive.

CAM
One idea that could advance GT6 is a little more incentive to play online. I think the levelling system should be scrapped from single player, and put into online. If there were a level and unlockable system in online it would bring more desire to enjoy all facets of the game. Obviously, there needs to be a matchmaking system as well.

I am not sure if this will be agreeable to all... there are so many ppl who do not have the luxury of playing games online.. be it a data cap on their internet or just bandwidth speed or anything... they just enjoy the offline version of the game and scrapping the leveling system and compelling them to play online is not an option...

CAM
One idea that could advance GT6 is a little more incentive to play online. I think the levelling system should be scrapped from single player, and put into online. If there were a level and unlockable system in online it would bring more desire to enjoy all facets of the game. Obviously, there needs to be a matchmaking system as well. I have a feeling why something along those lines wasn't included was hardware limitations, because I remember reading how focused KY was on making online comprehensive.

I do agree the current leveling system should be scrapped, but don't have it lock you out of content. I think that was the biggest mistake PD made with GT5. Leveling up should just be for obtaining award cars and extra money.

I didn't say that you should be forced to play online, I think that single player should go back to the old ways of GT4. Levelling has always been an online thing to me really, and I feel that there should be a separation of online and offline achievements to some extent.

CAM
I didn't say that you should be forced to play online, I think that single player should go back to the old ways of GT4. Levelling has always been an online thing to me really, and I feel that there should be a separation of online and offline achievements to some extent.

Ok.that would be a bit better..but won't it still mean that the ppl who do not have the ability to play online miss out?? inspite of them having paid the same amount for the game??

You aren't missing out. It's like buying Call of Duty and not having internet. Sure, you can't access the online features, but you still have access to the single player mode that has all the facets and features (if not more) than the multiplayer mode.

I'd say if they want people to be serious about racing they should have two different systems. One for hardcore sim drivers like a professional one that is similar to the way iRacing works. Then the other system would be free play or something similar to where you can do what ever the heck you want like a lot of people do now days. Like cruise, cop and robbers, and slam/dirty race. If you screw around on the pro room and can't climb then you can't play or something of that sort.

It would make it alot easier to race great drivers at any time I jump on and not have to schedule your life around a race series here on GTP. Though I do join them, at times I can't due to work, school and family and a system like this would be great for me and surely others that want great racing challenges on random downtime.

I've read all 8 pages and there are many great points being made by all sides, but it is all speculation at this point in time...nothing wrong with speculation, just saying.

As far as online play goes with the next instalment of GT, i would like to see leagues and also a penal system, 10 strikes and your out. meaning if you are the type (regardless of age) who like to go around smashing into everything the wrong way round the track, then when you are kicked from a room it goes down as a strike against you. get 10 and you can no longer play online. 10 i think would more than enough for even the most stubborn to realise people don't appreciate that kind of thing. that also means if you have a bunch of friends who like to do that kind of thing then you can have your own room away from the rest of us!

That might seem extreme to many here, but i for 1 would like to be able to jump online at random points, join a room and know i will get my moneys worth, not be upset and put off from ever going online.

Edit, the levelling system HAS TO GO. if 6 has as much (preferably more) content as 4 did, i think it will be gone. it only makes sense to have this stupid levelling system when you have so little content and need to make the game last...from the devs POV.

CAM
I think the levelling system should be scrapped from single player, and put into online.
If that happened I would'nt buy the next GT game. I am not going to be forced to play online by anybody.

CAM
I didn't say that you should be forced to play online, I think that single player should go back to the old ways of GT4.

Fully agree, leveling needs to go away from SP mode, forever. I assume it's in GT5 just because the lack of events, because without it you could "finish" the game within just 2 weeks. But in MP what I would like to see instead of leveling system, is matchmaking - where you pick your car and then you got to choose different modes like quick race, drag race, drift, up/downhill etc. and you're matched with other players depending on your car's PP (but PD would need to seriously modify their matching algoritm, so far it doesn't work at all, see: A-Spec quick races)

In all honesty video games(with a few exceptions) age like fine wine. The longer effort are put into it the more enjoyment to come from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back