Normal Car Cup

• Thread starter psonefreak
  • 175 comments
Had a go myself with the 92. Easy victory. NTSC-J
GTO 92 TT.jpg

NTSC-J. My FTO run (again), because I failed to grab a screenshot last time. Miraculous victory at Deepforest, I was following the TRD closely for most of the race, then outbraked myself at the last corner on lap 5 and somehow ended up infront of it and won. 1, 2, 1, 1, 3
FTO.jpg

I think we're sadly reaching the end point of this challenge, there aren't many other cars (apart from these we tested here) that can win the tournament. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, though.

I agree, sadly... :/
Well done with the N.A. 300 ZX :)

Challenge idea proposal: what's the lowest car able to beat the Lancer Evo IV, the unfairly worst opponent in Normal Cup? On Deepforest for example, or GVE II ? :)

Or take a Demio LX G-package, and try not be lapped by the NSX on fast tracks :mad:

I agree, sadly... :/
Well done with the N.A. 300 ZX :)

Challenge idea proposal: what's the lowest car able to beat the Lancer Evo IV, the unfairly worst opponent in Normal Cup? On Deepforest for example, or GVE II ? :)

Or take a Demio LX G-package, and try not be lapped by the NSX on fast tracks :mad:
There you go, I gave your first challenge a try:
Exiv 200GT.jpg

Cool that you tried, thanks; and wow you did well! 3rd position overall with 177 hp!! :cheers:

I was thinking to something shorter than the whole series, like a "one track battle" :)
For example beat the Lancer at Grand Valley East II, or Deepforest, where the A.I. does "quite" a good job.

So I just gave a quick try myself tonight, and managed to win 5th place at GVE II with the heavy Cosmo 13B (dirty driving, but clean style victory is possible). Thus I wonder if something like the MR-2 G-Limited couldn't do something (or RWD R32, S13 silvia '88 K's, things like that :) )

Also took the Demio, and really got lapped by the NSX on GVE :D

First of all, thank you, too!
I was going to just race the Evo at the tracks you suggested, but I liked driving that car so much that I decided to go to the end of the championship, it handles like it's glued to the road, I can take some corners without even lifting off the throttle.
Anyway, I'll give it another go with an even lower HP car like the Galant VR-G (IIRC it only has 150-something HP) and will post the results.

Last edited:
So, the Galant VR-G wasn't up to the task.
Anyway, I have thought of a challenge of my own. Here it is:
At SSR11, give the CPU players a 1-minute headstart (so they can roughly be at the midpoint of the lap), then try to beat them to the finish line. The car for this challenge is the Viper RT10 or the GTS.

Last edited:
But, after doing this, I really wonder if an excellent driver wouldn't win the cup, against he NSX, with this very good Wagon.
Nope. Just tried it (been a while lol) and i got 2,2,2,2,4 (hit the chicane on SSR11, lost to the RX7 Aspec, was gonna get 22223 otherwise) vs NSX and TRD3000GT
Too much understeer and overall bad acceleration sadly

An other proof JP is somehow easier. I got consistently last in the quali on PAL. Usually within 2-3s from 1st.
Also we chose the same color hah

Last edited:
So I only managed 2nd overall with the Legacy Wagon on PAL, 1-2-2-2-3, with both the NSX and TRD present. Came really close to a pole at ARM, other than that I always qualified last. No dirty driving, wallriding, corner-cutting etc, as usual. No screenshot, sadly, it says the file is corrupted...

1-2-2-2-3 is fine! Well done! Especially with clean driving.

The Integra Type-R versus the TRD 3000GT:

Warning: lots of wallriding at CSR5 II and Special Stage R11. Sensitive souls please abstain.

Good day, sorry if I'm reviving this thread, but seemed appropriate to ask here.
So, won a hard-fought TRD 3000GT from the A License, upgraded it, of course, then reverted it all back for the Normal Cup, but it doesn't let me in.
What gives?

Not every upgrade can be unequipped, things like port polishing, engine balancing, and weight reduction are permanent.
Crap, did I ruined my chances with that car, then?
In that case, is there a normal car that cannot be upgraded permanently and still remain competitive?

Yep, it's "ruined" since you won't be able to remove some of the parts.
Unless you wish to complete the game with just one car (which is impossible), you'd be better off having a car for all high power events really.
Supra RZ, GTO Twin Turbo, Skyline R32 and R33 GTR are al viable late game, but it would be much better to have weight reduction done to them (and that's a permanent upgrade)

Permanent upgrades are: port/polish, engine balance, displacement increase, weight reduction, racing modification.
Anything else can be removed in order to participate in the normal cup.

Yep, it's "ruined" since you won't be able to remove some of the parts.
Unless you wish to complete the game with just one car (which is impossible), you'd be better off having a car for all high power events really.
Supra RZ, GTO Twin Turbo, Skyline R32 and R33 GTR are al viable late game, but it would be much better to have weight reduction done to them (and that's a permanent upgrade)

Permanent upgrades are: port/polish, engine balance, displacement increase, weight reduction, racing modification.
Anything else can be removed in order to participate in the normal cup.
Those cars you mentioned are all the "Special" 500k ones? I've also read lurking around that some cars can enter into the Normal Cup while still considered "tuned" but labelled as Normal, IE: a won Dedicated Racing Car like the Chaser from GT Cup (That one doesn't work, but you get the idea).
No idea about this one, just read somewhere.

Nah, road models tuned to the max. All of the ones i've mentioned get over 750hp even without the permanent parts.
As for the LM Editions being able to enter the Normal cup, that's untrue. The only cars who could be considered "tuned" are the TRD3000GT and the Nismo 400R. But those are still road cars, so provided you don't aply any parts to them, you can enter the normal cup.

Nah, road models tuned to the max. All of the ones i've mentioned get over 750hp even without the permanent parts.
As for the LM Editions being able to enter the Normal cup, that's untrue. The only cars who could be considered "tuned" are the TRD3000GT and the Nismo 400R. But those are still road cars, so provided you don't aply any parts to them, you can enter the normal cup.
Wait, wait, I'm confused.
What's considered a "normal" car actually?
Without permanent upgrades? Or are you able to modify something and still be considered Normal somehow?
I thought it being a Normal Car meant it is "pure", which means absolutely no upgrades (and of course, without permanent ones).
Stock, basically, from the moment you purchase it from a dealership or win it.

Is considered normal any car that's not racing modified (has the [R] in their name) or a bonafide race car (LM Editions). As for the normal cup, not a single part has to be installed on your car to enter, and it needs to not be a racing model. Exactly as you meant by pure.

Is considered normal any car that's not racing modified (has the [R] in their name) or a bonafide race car (LM Editions). As for the normal cup, not a single part has to be installed on your car to enter, and it needs to not be a racing model. Exactly as you meant by pure.
Yeah, thank you for your response.
While I waited for your response, I golded all Licenses and got myself a Viper GTS for the Normal Cup, lol.
It's crazy how I did it, though. Never I would have imagined as a child I'd do it, haha.

Back