Normal Car Cup

• Thread starter psonefreak
  • 175 comments
You know what? The world's fastest commercially available car is... The Camaro.

Ok it's heavy, it has got a 3 speeds gearbox (have you ever drove in 4th in "stock" form?), but the engine is good, and the grip is phenomenal. It's just enough to win against the TRD 3000GT :)

Last edited:
Totally useless therefore absolutely essential, a run with the heaviest car of the game, an Aston Martin DB7 Volante.

I love this car :cool:

Last edited:
Hi,

A run with the Celica GT-Four. Really good (FWD ;) ) car, against the TRD 3000GT only. Wonder if a 1-1-2-1-2(or 3) wouldn't be possible against the NSX...

Last edited:
Do you not mean 4WD?:D

The AWD mode flag is missing for the GT-Four, along with the Evo 3, Pulsar GTi-R and Galant VR-4, which means that they fall back to behaving like a FWD car. It's the exact same bug as with the Audi TT in GT3, however unlike GT3 you can't just install a drivetrain upgrade to work around it.

The AWD mode flag is missing for the GT-Four, along with the Evo 3, Pulsar GTi-R and Galant VR-4, which means that they fall back to behaving like a FWD car. It's the exact same bug as with the Audi TT in GT3, however unlike GT3 you can't just install a drivetrain upgrade to work around it.

Well I obviously haven't been paying very good attention then, I had never noticed that about those cars.:confused:

Thanks for pointing that out @pez2k.👍

And @Mouc, I retract my correction. Carry on as you were.:lol:

There's no real offense, Sir. I was surprised when I discovered that point on this forum too :)
But if you want to repent, I'm joking, you can watch this vid' 5 times successively without closing your eyes : an Impreza'94 wagon beating an NSX.

What the hell, my whole childhood had been a lie :lol: I drove the Evo III a ton back in the day and never once I thought it behaved like an FF. Though to be fair, terminal FF understeer isn't modelled all that well in GT1 as all the cars are biased towards oversteer anyway :P

How to recognize a FF in GT: Handbrake doesn't engage neutral, (GT1 specifically) braking has some extreme ABS action, and obviously, way too much wheelspin going forward heh ☕

Hi,

Although it's been already documented on GT Planet (by Submaniac especially), I prepared a short vid' to illustrate it again, since the 4 "wrong 4WD cars" can win the Normal Cup.
Done on Test Course, this track is perfect to check the point:

By the way, if you look at the Galant VR-4 around 40 seconds, I wonder if the "Supersonic Wall Ride" bug has really disappeared in the PAL version... :)

Totally on-topic now, I tried several times these days to beat the TRD 3000GT with the Cosmo 20B (on PAL). 3 first races are doable with an "almost clean" driving, even if Grand Valley East is tough. The big problem for me is to take the lead. If you take it, the car is good enough to win, but if you don't...
Would be great to see Submaniac give a try (and win!) :)

Last edited:
"Pardon me Lord 'cause I wallrode... But you know that this car is heavy as hell"

Cosmo 20B finally done! Needed several tries, no NSX, dirty driving and quite a lot of luck at Grand Valley East II: the RX-7 and TRD 3000GT fighting together and losing time, allowing the Cosmo to come back...

Happy I am :)

This one is a nasty 1-1-1-2-3 victory (37 to 36 points, because I'm so bad @ DeepForest II), but with clean driving, I think (and hope) a 1-1-2-1-3 is doable :)

Hi,

Added some runs since last post, especially with both Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-Spec I & II.
Is it me, or these cars are harder to control than the "Normal" R32 GT-R, or R32 GT-R Nismo? I double checked, I'd swear they are more tail happy than the rest :)

Also added a failed attempt on PAL with an FC RX-7. Well it's definitely above me I think: Grand Valley East II is tough (finished 2nd), wallriding @ Clubman Stage R5 II, got nailed in the last chicane by the FD RX-7 A-Spec @ SSR11 .
But I wonder if a win at Deepforest wouldn't be possible, at the condition of taking the lead (what I missed) during the very first lap, and knowing that the A.I. is quite bad in the final straight (pushing at the back, without trying to overtake).

Last edited:
I've just come back to GT1 after almost a year of not playing it.
So the first thing I did was to find out what's the slowest car I can use to beat the Normal Cup with. And I've done it in an FTO - two 1st places, two 2nd places and one 3rd place were enough for me to win (although I had to "banzai" myself into the RX7 at one point during SSR11 and - most importantly - the NSX wasn't there).
I also did it in an S14 K's (no NSX in the line-up), Eclipse and Camaro afterwards (with NSX in the line-up), the Eclipse was pretty good actually, able to almost keep up with the big guys up front.
I'm gonna give the MA70 Supra a try now. It should be OK with its 240 HP engine.

Last edited:
[...]And I've done it in an FTO - two 1st places, two 2nd places and one 3rd place were enough for me to win (although I had to "banzai" myself into the RX7 at one point during SSR11 and - most importantly - the NSX wasn't there). [...]
Wow, congratulations anyway!
[...]I also did it in an S14 K's (no NSX in the line-up)[...]
Wow, was this on PAL version?
[...]Eclipse and Camaro afterwards (with NSX in the line-up)[...]
Wow, did you keep the replays? I totally believe you, it's just curiosity. Also it would be nice on Youtube... and in this list. ;)

I'm playing the Japanese version. I don't have replays, sadly. I'll save them next time and post them here and on Youtube.

P.S: As of the writing of this, I successfully beat the championship with a MA70 Supra, The results were:
- pole and a relatively easy victory at A-ring Mini;
- 6 place in quali and 2 place in the race at GV East;
- pole and victory (although I had to block the NSX quite a few times, which made him make mistakes at some places, but hey, it is allowed even in the FIA Rule book, especially the one from '97) at CSR 5;
- last place in quali and victory with dedicated driving at Deepforest (this time the NSX itself couldn't find a way past, he just kept banging my car from behind and kept going off at the right-hander before the first tunnel, because he was slipstreaming and carriying too much speed into it);
- and last place in quali and 2 place in the race at SSR 11, again with dedicated driving in the first lap especially, I passed the RX7 with a great pass in one of the corners after the underpass as he made a slight mistake. After that, while trying to overtake at the last corner, he went too wide and clipped a wall, which stopped him dead in his tracks. From then on it was a breeze.

BTW, which program do you guys use to record while playing?
I tried Bandicam yesterday, but couldn't get a good framerate with it - even though my laptop has more than enough power (4GB RAM, 2GB VRAM, 1.8GHz 4 Core CPU, etc). I'm gonna give FRAPS a try, maybe it will work.

Hi,
Already done ;) Sough is one of these Great Men that pushed me here, after having seen his vids :bowdown:
It would be an honor that he joins us here to drive a "Nobody-thinks-about" Normal Car :)

A run with the original NSX. Harder to control than the NSX Type S Zero...

BTW, what I forgot to mention is that I tried running the NSX Type S Zero against the CPU NSX Type S Zero, because I had a suspicion that the CPU version is sort of glitchy and runs much faster than normal. Well - it isn't. Driving the same car against the computer I managed to beat it everytime - at GVE the gap at the finish between me and him/it was more than 17 seconds.

Last edited:
I use OBS for my videos and streaming, dunno how well it'll run on your end. Fraps will destroy your disk space because it records uncompressed. But it's easy to use

BTW, which program do you guys use to record while playing?[...]
Can't help you on this point, I play on PS2 and digitalize the signal with a capture card :embarrassed:ldschool:

And yes, the NSX Type S Zero is by far the best stock Japanese car in the game ;)

Excluding the Nismo 400R then :P
But it's the best gentleman's agreement car for sure
You're right (as usual ;) ) , I forgot it.
But I prefer the NSX :mad: . And right, I can't drive any of all super-heavy GT-Rs in this game properly :D

Here's my run in the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. Video quality kinda sucks, I'll do better next time - HD Mode seems to fix it a bit, though. Anyways, enjoy!

Last edited:
Good driving! 👍
On PAL, I've just managed to win against a no-NSX grid with the Eclipse, using dirty driving style, furthermore :grumpy:

Last edited:
Thanks!
I haven't played a lot of the PAL version, but I remember that it was somewhat harder on some occasions. Also, some of the cars had a little less power than in the NTSC-J version, the Eclipse was one of these, if I'm not mistaken.

P.S: I have a way to go faster round corners - rapidly tapping the gas pedal (well, button). Same with the brakes when braking - if I feel the rear stepping off while braking I rapidly tap the button, kinda like having an ABS. Seems to be working for me, especially with turbo cars. It is a bit harder to do with a PS1 controller, though, but still doable.

P.S2: Is there some other car that you guys can recommend doing the Normal Cup with?
One that wasn't already mentioned, but also one that has some chances of winning it?
I have already tried the following - Camaro Z28, GTO (97 version), both R33 GTRs (95 and 97), R32 GTR, FTO GPX, Silvia S14 K's, MA 70 Supra, 3000GT TRD, regular Supra RZ, Concept Car, RT10/GTS, Griffith, Cerbera, Corvette Coupe, NSX Type S/S Zero/TypeR, NSX'90, I think I also won in a 20B Cosmo somehow and a brand new Soarer once.

Another run, this time in the FD Touring X. Results were 1, 2, 1, 1, 1. Almost won at Grand Valley East after starting from pole, but lost 1st place at the start to the NSX, then almost got it back, but I braked too late and ended in the grass. SSR11 was the other more difficult race, but I won after a race-long battle with the NSX. That autobox in the Touring X really doesn't suit most of the tracks, I found myself shifting back into 1st at most low speed corners, because in 2nd it would rev too low.
Normal Cup Touring X.jpg

[...]P.S: I have a way to go faster round corners - rapidly tapping the gas pedal (well, button). Same with the brakes when braking[...]
Yes, I have the same feeling. For the throttle, I'm sure it's good to do this, especially in fast bends. For the brakes, it seems to me that it's a way to get the computer mistaken about the mass transfers: tapping the button kind of get them smoother, and allows you to keep some steering capacity :)

[...]P.S2: Is there some other car that you guys can recommend doing the Normal Cup with?
Personally I love wagons :) . So what about the old Legacy Wagon? The one with around 240hp? Or the used sedan Legacy, also 240hp iirc. The used Impreza sedan WRX would be nice, don't you think? But maybe very hard, there's only 211hp, iirc !!!
Or.... The FC RX-7 ... I do think it's strictly impossible on PAL, but maybe on JP ?

Yes, I have the same feeling. For the throttle, I'm sure it's good to do this, especially in fast bends. For the brakes, it seems to me that it's a way to get the computer mistaken about the mass transfers: tapping the button kind of get them smoother, and allows you to keep some steering capacity :)

Personally I love wagons :) . So what about the old Legacy Wagon? The one with around 240hp? Or the used sedan Legacy, also 240hp iirc. The used Impreza sedan WRX would be nice, don't you think? But maybe very hard, there's only 211hp, iirc !!!
Or.... The FC RX-7 ... I do think it's strictly impossible on PAL, but maybe on JP ?

I'm gonna give the FC a try and will post the final results here like I did with the Touring X.

Could try the Mark II or Chaser as well
I did have a go with the Mark II after I wrote my previous comment and it didn't end very well: with the NSX in the field I had to give up after CSR 5. I'm gonna give it a go against a grid without the NSX in it, maybe I can win that way.

Last edited:
Back