Official Mission Hall Thread (help, hints, general discussion, etc.)

• Thread starter justin_tyme
  • 1,545 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's eleven, the one in New York where you drive that really old car (2000GT or something) and have to catch up to some other old cars. It's impossible. I'm rubbish at the track and the car seems so unbearably slow that i think i'll never catch up. Does anyone have any tips or stories of how they did it? I want the Tank Car! :yuck:

I've just gone through 4 pages of search results for "mission."

All of the non-write up based threads on missions were merged into this single thread.

Only one mistake was made.

Uncle Harry has a write-up that was mistakenly merged into this.

It is a mission 11 write-up, and if it was possible to get in touch with harry I would... Unfortunately, harry does not allow emails and in his profile there is no option to pm him.

Too bad.

If harry does notice this post, please feel free to knock on me for my mistake, then copy your original post and proceed to repost it in the write-ups forum.

Thanks for you understanding and co-operation.

And remember, SEARCH BEFORE POSTING! :lol:

Post 1057: uncle harry
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1640830&postcount=1057

Uncle Harry
With 29 of the 34 missions completed it is time to spend a serious effort at New York with the old Japanese sports cars from the Seventies.
I visted New York for brief visits earlier on in the game and came away cursing the place.
Is this mission a PD joke on the outcome of the war? Shouldn't we be driving these wonders of Japanese manufacturing around Tokyo?
Back to the story.
My first attempt and I really do not like this car and those blind corners. Also the fact that I always seem to catch the AI on a hard corner and can not pass. I finished this run in second place 10 seconds behind the little Mazda.
Several restarts latter I complete 3 laps and have finished 5 seconds behind the Mazda.
I am getting more confident with the car and track and am learning the correct brake points etc.
Next few attempts are arborted due to trying to hard and hitting walls on the second lap.
A few more laps and I am starting to work out split times I need to have a chance.
I will list these as best I remember.
-27 seconds at first timer. This is a hard one as the time flashes up just as you hit the end of the shadow which is my brake point.
-23 at the next one. you should be passing or about to pass position 5.
-19.5 at the start finish line end lap 1.
- 15 at marker 4 and about to pass 4th (red skyline)
- 13 at marker 5 .
-9 at start finish line at end of second lap. you should be in second place by now after passing the Galant and Celica at the hairpin and down the straight.
- 5 at next mark. The Mazda will be just visible.
-3 at the next mark.
At the hairpin the Mazda will be just in front and a clean corner here will see you pass him down the straight.

I was on schedule for a win untill I was distracted and missed my braking point after the -5 timer and hit the wall for a 5 second penalty. I kept going and missed out by -0.5 seconds.

I then knew I could win by driving a clean 3 laps.
Next attempt saw me win by +0.7 seconds after spending visiting New York for 2 hours.
To beat this mission it is important to brake early and set the car up for the corners. Learn your braking points. Pick a spot you can remember and brake there. Do not rely on the flashing indicator as it flashes just a little late for most corners.
4 more to go!

what am I missing?

I only have #34 to go and tried it twice.....both times I didnt catch a single car :ouch: (Using the regular controller)

I cant be that bad can I??

For the one at la sarth with practically running through the essess just before and after the start line i just ran straight through and finished + 11 sec.

Arcanelore
what am I missing?

I only have #34 to go and tried it twice.....both times I didnt catch a single car :ouch: (Using the regular controller)

I cant be that bad can I??

For the one at la sarth with practically running through the essess just before and after the start line i just ran straight through and finished + 11 sec.

Ha!

It took me about 8 tries to catch up to the last guy... first time out I was 38 behind...

Keep at it. You'll get them eventually.

I agree you Kens...

Personally, I think the license tests from GT3 were much hard than the one on GT4...or maybe I just got better... Anyhow, the Super License alone on GT3 took me a week and a half to pass - some up to 165 attempts. On GT4, I completed all the licenses - from B to Super - in 6 hours flat.

So my point is "The license tests are GT4 really aren't that bad. They're a little tricky...but not that bad.

So to all the racers out there.... dont break too many controllers, and best of luck!

ps- im personally gonna need it ;)

BIG NEWS! I finally beat 34. haha. oh man. i think i accumulated 10 hours at least trying to get this down. and in all that time i barely completed any laps. too many mistaked early on meant many restarts. my first complete lap i was 16 seconds down, then 10. that was it for my first night of trying. than the next night the complete laps were 24 seconds down and 16 seconds down. third night was 10 seconds, 4 seconds, and 7 seconds, and 1 second. today my first complete lap was 1.5 seconds down, then 1 second. for my final try i was about to give up, because my first 3 splits were 3 seconds slower than my fastest time. but i managed to catch up and pass the first car through karussel. (my previous best lap had me passing the first car going into the right hander before karussel. but i ****ed up later on.) anyway, by the straight, i had pulled to 14 seconds down (even with the +1 second laps.) in the final corners i was able to make up the second where i couldnt the other times. (yes, i cut accross the grass.) he was well ahead of me through the final corner, but the power of the mclaren pulled me even right before the starting grid. at this point i am standing, waving my arms like a moron and i have one hand one the controller holding the accelerator. i veered into the grass just as i finisged. it was ****ing sweet. -.5s.

wall riding is your friend. chicanes are you enemy.

I have some problems too with that GT-R skyline mission, I passed mission 34 already, because I losted my hope in tha skyline mission :) so I tried it for fun, and uups I passed it!!! I have drived nurb so many times with so many cars, with 2-split screen or alone, code is remembering the course :) Someone tell me how to get ridd of da skyline mission, I'm sorry if there's answer already, but I just cannot find a clue, I got 2.03.18 behind, and that's best I can do, Do'h.

Sorry my bad english, so Finnish I am :dopey:

Sampyla23
I have some problems too with that GT-R skyline mission, I passed mission 34 already, because I losted my hope in tha skyline mission :) so I tried it for fun, and uups I passed it!!! I have drived nurb so many times with so many cars, with 2-split screen or alone, code is remembering the course :) Someone tell me how to get ridd of da skyline mission, I'm sorry if there's answer already, but I just cannot find a clue, I got 2.03.18 behind, and that's best I can do, Do'h.

Draft the four cars and after passing them shift to 5th gear and allow a couple of them to draft and pass you. Repeat sequence. You should be able to draft and pass twice per lap. You should easily catch and draft the leading GTR going thru the final banked turn. l

Sampyla23

Mission 23 technique.

Mission Hall Videos (including Mission 23).

Famine
My "works every time" technique (done it three times now, first time every time) is to never change gear ever. On approach to the first turn, draft and pass underneath the pack, move back to the top yellow line and then switch to in-car/rear view for the straight. Pick a car to allow past - let him slipstream you and then move to the outside to avoid him - he WILL hit you if you don't. Stupid bugger. Flick in behind him, slipstream and pass on the inside on the next turn, then back up to the top yellow line. Keep doing this and you'll spot the yellow GT-R on your third turn. Carry on doing this until the LAST turn.

On the last turn, slipstream and pass on the inside, then stay low until you're approaching the draft zone of the yellow GT-R. Snick up and slipstream him, pass on the inside and stay low again.

You win. Hurrah!

Thanks Famine for that, nailed this mission on the second attempt thanks to you.
I was about to post a thread on this matter after almost giving up on the search option but stumbled upon this post..

Good job 👍

:bowdown: I FINALLY PASSED MISSION 11

After 3 months of gameplay.

The torque at low revs must be like 5Nm, so keep the revs high! Find the right lines at the 90* corners and don't change gears until the engine almost revs out.
Thats all that was needed! yihaaaa :)

hispeed
:bowdown: I FINALLY PASSED MISSION 11

After 3 months of gameplay.

The torque at low revs must be like 5Nm, so keep the revs high! Find the right lines at the 90* corners and don't change gears until the engine almost revs out.
Thats all that was needed! yihaaaa :)
LMAO.... 3 months.

God I hate the 3lap battles. Have done all Missions except 11-14.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest. Even having the video runs from daan's page running simultaneously and still can't get win!

the trick at this mission is to maintain your speed through corners, brake before entering the corner and accelerate thru it.. it takes a while to learn.. one other thing is the shift points.. shift as late as possible and never use 1st gear..

from 2 --> 3 @ 114 km/h
from 3 --> 4 @ 160 km/h

you'll never really get to use 5th gear at this mission

Yessir! I learned that the hard way!
Breaking too late and dipping revs (must be max 5Nm torque in low revs) was my problem, and I got so annoyed that I only tried once a week the last month. Suddenly It was revealed to me, and I won by 1.5s.

I found the red gear indicator light gave me the correct braking points in Mission 11. I slammed on the brakes an instant after the light started blinking, and it worked out perfectly.

As has been said before, the key is to brake only in a straight line, and never try to carry braking into the turn. You can get off the brakes earlier than you would think if you immediately apply a little throttle. It seems that learning how to modulate the throttle just right, which gives you the best handling balance the car can manage, was as crucial as braking.

I used AT, by the way. It seemed to always be in the right gear for me.

Corners including the circle should be taken at about 47mph or 35mph. It will be obvious which are which. And yes the circle can be taken at 47mph if you enter it at 47 and get your line right.

If you drop down to 40-42 (I did on my gold run) make sure you accelerate early.

Damn this misson hall is great!! I only started to play it about a month ago now its all I do! Some missions have been seriously tough, the R8 around infinion, the 206 round paris at the GT40 round Laguna Seca. but ive managed to nail them. But im now stuck on the Superbird round Seattle just cannot get within 3 seconds of the lead car?! Im sure he accelerates away once ive got to second place. Then as with most of you M34 im finding tough! Not sure I have the patiants to sit there waiting at the start line but I cant get closer than 10 seconds on this one. Well Done PD this is what we (I) want!!more of this in GT5 please.

The Seattle mission sure is frustrating. You should aim to be in 2nd at the end of the first lap (or much earlier on a good run), then take the lead on the second lap (b4 the back straight, I got him on the corners after the hill). The lead car is very fast in a straight line but cannot corner, so keep your exit speed up. When in front you could block him, but I never needed to, once in front I stayed there.

Steven

TheChef
But im now stuck on the Superbird round Seattle just cannot get within 3 seconds of the lead car?! Im sure he accelerates away once ive got to second place.

Brake early, get all your braking done before turning in, the nose-heavy beast will NOT trail-brake. You'll be in second place well before the end of your first lap, you'll probably almost pass the Buick at the end of the second lap, in the parking lot complex, but he'll be out of sight by the time you start lap 3. Not to worry. You'll almost catch him at the hairpin, and I passed him at the first left, still under the freeway, and pulled away, though at each of the straights, he was coming for me, but he has to brake sooner and corner slower. The Buick is a drag racer: if you look at the replays and see it airborne, you can see it even wears slicks at the rear, narrow front tires, resulting in lousy handling.

I am in the US, so I can't guarantee the comparison, but I passed for 5th place up the hills, 4th after the third right after the hills, 3rd going down to the bottom of the elevated section, and 2nd coming out of the parking lot chicane. On lap two I was inside the Buick at the right that goes under the freeway, but couldn't make it stick. He took off out of sight, but I actually had to avoid him while braking for turn 1, and I passed him at the first left under the freeway.

I have an excellent (if I say so myself) video I put together of this, but I have nowhere to post it. I went to the trouble of running each car's replay into my PC, sticking them on top of each other in Premiere Pro, and switching them like it was a live race. I even added in-car views from the Superbird in a picture-in-picture view for part of it.

Can anyone help me with some serious tips on Mission No. 34. I'm 99.8% complete with the game and this is the last thing holding me back from 100% complete. I am familiar with the track, however, I'm still trying to find the best driving line through the track. I use an AT Transmission. I know what areas of the track I can go flat out on, as for the corners I'm experimenting now as to what is the best approach. HELP!!!! :grumpy:

RX007
Can anyone help me with some serious tips on Mission No. 34. I'm 99.8% complete with the game and this is the last thing holding me back from 100% complete. I am familiar with the track, however, I'm still trying to find the best driving line through the track. I use an AT Transmission. I know what areas of the track I can go flat out on, as for the corners I'm experimenting now as to what is the best approach. HELP!!!! :grumpy:

Just look in the mission 34 thread for all possible hints and videos you can imagine. The best tip I can give you is that old and simple: "slow in, fast out".
You'll get it!

RX007

I can see your frustration. You might want to check in WRITE UP section for some Mission 34 write up threats. I've found some important tips, enough to bring me the trophy.

RX007

By the way, Im have the U.S.A. NTSC Version of the Game, with the 123 second gap.

the mission hall was really easy the only one i had a problem with is the last one it took a few trys but i can beat it anytime now. I'll post up my times i have to look on my replays

at RX007, get to know the car and the track EXTREMELY well. Then, try braking early and accelerating out faster. For some specific turns, its best to try out in the license center to get to know how to do it better. Good luck, I know that 123 second wait is a pain in the

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back