One Make Races - Italy, Korea, UK & USA

• Thread starter daan
  • 239 comments
I've been retrying the Copens and Saleens but so far no joy. I'm not sure if I have it in me to finish there races for max. Same aplies for a couple of FGT races.

AMG.

Hi AMG,
While I can deeply sympathize with your ambivalence towards the inelegant FF, may I ask which FGT races are causing you trouble? Are you restricting yourself to the FGT, or are you open to alternate solutions? I feel certain that, with a little help from your friends, these open wheel races should fall to you.

The only post I could find with details on using the Elise Type 72 for the Elise Trophy suggested N1 tires. It looked pretty doubtful I could win on those wretched things, so I found the highest points-yielding field in the first 10 after a reset, the first without another Type 72. Then I spent the second run through the series nudging up the ballast every race and the third run through actually earning the full points. Maybe this can save someone else that third go-round:

Lotus Elise Trophy - 5 race championship
Car: Elise Type 72
Lineup: NTSC/US #5:
A-Spec Points: 1000
Opponents:
111S
Sport 190
111R
Motorsport Elise
Elise '00

Setup: N3, 122HP (setup screen) w/no oil, 137+kg, NOS. Full suspension/drivetrain/brake upgrades. I used this setup for suspension settings, the "tranny trick" with final drive @ 4.500 for all races and NOS set at 90.

Qualifying was key for me, with the warm up lap to learn roughly what speed I can do through most corners and how late is too late to brake, the pole lap then makes good practice for a peppier lap and the race becomes a reasonably comfortable task.

Thank you imtheleprechaun for that advice. I had problems to max out the last race at Apricot Hill following a different tactic with the slow Type ´72 in front. Following your advice I won for 200 without qualifying. I reduced the HP to 117 with some ballast and was able to use S1/S3 tires for the win.

Great stuff, I'm glad I could help. Whenever I post a lineup/setup here I think to myself that there can't be that many others like me who are still making their way though GT4. So... uh .. solidarity, yeah!

I wish I could have divined a way to use sports tires too! N3s are OK, but I really like to avoid the N class of tire altogether.

may I ask which FGT races are causing you trouble?
Hi Dotini, like you I hadn't really raced any other game prior to GT4 (see sig). Also quite rusty now since I havent really touched PS2/PS3 since early this year. The only games I have (and own) are GT4 & 5P.
W.r.t. FGT Ive tried the FGT, Mazda 787, Audi R8, Pescarolo something and perhaps even a few others. By lap 8 or so I'm trailing by 30-50 secs as they start pitting. That still leaves a 20 second gap to catch up. My tires last 1 round longer than theirs in general so I can get away with 1 less pit per race.

* checks extensive spreadsheet *
few minutes later ....

GVS missing 80 pts (I once nearly achieved 161 points but alas)
Motegi Road missing 39 points
Suz missing 99 points

I've maxxed
Tokyo - 787B - 16s mov
Azur - 787B - 18s
ElCap - 787B - 12s

Motegi speed - Sauber - 26s

NY- Chaparral 2J - 30s
Seca- Chap 2J - 35s

HSR - Audi R8 >42s
Sarthe - Audi R8 - 1m30s
Infineon - Audi R8 - 35s
Nurb - Audi R8 - 30s

Seoul - FGT - 2s
Fuji - FGT - 3.5s

As you can see the lowest movs are reached in the FGT itself and I dont particularly like these at all. I find them very hard to control let alone drive them fast.

Welcome to GTP and this neck of the woods within it :cheers:

AMG.

I've played through the FGT using both the Formula 1 and an Audi R8, and I found it much easier in the R8.
I don't really remember much about GVS, but Motegi and Suzuka is won or lost by your tire choice.
What tires are you using that makes you pit just one lap after the FGT's?
You may be better off going with something harder to stay out longer..
I found R2/R2 was the best for the R8, it allowed me to match the AI's pace, while still doing longer stints.

My post in the stock-car thread:
It's taken me a while, but I've finally completed the Formula GT for max points!👍

Extreme Hall: Formula GT - All Races
Car: Audi R8 race car '01 (R2/R2 or R2/R1) / MR / 770HP / 900kg / 1.2kg/HP / 200 A-spec

The hp-value shown is from after I'd completed the series, I never made a note of the original value, but the car was brand new with 0 miles on the clock when I started.
I used the settings posted by mynameissport for his Pescarolo, I found they worked just fine with this car as well. I started the series using an R2/R1-combo, but eventually settled for R2/R2.
The extra pitstops were more than made up for by the improved laptimes. This was especially noticable at Infineon and Suzuka, races mynameissport described as difficult, but I found them to be fairly easy with R2's at the back, being able to match or better the AI's pace in addition to making fewer stops.

The most challenging races were probably the Ring and Seoul, somewhat surprisingly. By the time I got to the Nürburgring, the car was fairly worn out, and was very difficult to keep under control. Had to let up on all the straights to prevent it from going off.
At Seoul, I was still using the R2/R1 combo, which produced a lot of oversteer that really crippled me on that track.

Looks like you beat me to collecting all the cars, Smallhorses! Well done, I know how much effort it takes to collect all those credits without B-spec!👍

Mynameissports settings:
Settings:

Tyres: R2/R1 except Super Speedway where I did R2/R2

Springs: 12.0/12.2 (For bumpy/twisty go for 10.0/10.2 or 11.0/11.2)
Rideheight: 80/82 (For bumpy/twisty go for 90/92)
Damper Bounce: 3/3
Damper Rebound: 6/6
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe: 0/0
Stabilisers: 5/5 (For bumpy/twisty went for 5/4)

Gears: Used the tranny trick, move final to match each track's longest straight with some extra rpm’s to get slipstream in the FGT for extra speed

Brakes: 6/6

Driver aids: ASM 0/0 with some TCS

Downforce 63/88
LSD: 15/30/20

Suzuka and Motegi was really just a matter of qualifying on pole, and driving calmly and securely until the FGT's pitted. Just stick to the racing line, and they won't get past you. After the first pitstop they won't trouble you again.

hmmm :grumpy:, I see that I've been cluttering this thread with my FGT remark, I'll go and report myself. I've got some holidays coming up soon and I'll give the advice a try 👍 and post results in the right thread.

AMG.

Last edited:
In my second run through the one makes I collected last night the missing points for the Camaro-Meeting using the Camaro IROC-Z Concept. In my firtst attempt some month ago I really had difficulties, especially at Seoul. I used the following set-up by Dotini which I highly recommend:

http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/setup-view/s_sid::7492/Chevrolet-Camaro-IROC-Z-Concept/

This is a setup for Seoul. For the other races just raise the ride height a little and adjust the gears to the track. Tranny trick was used. Thank you Dotini for another great set-up for max. points.

What I recognize is that playing the game regularly really improves ones playing skills. Some month ago some races in the manufacturer section for me seemed impossible for maximum points. Most of them I am retrying now seem to be much easier than they did before. For some of them I will have to come back again though when my still very limited driving skills have improved further. But most of the races I´m running again now are taken for maximum points. :)

Last edited:
Tetraeder, thank you very much for citing my IROC-Z setup as being of some service to you. It gives me an enormous amount of pleasure and satisfaction to assist a fellow human in overcoming a problem posed by artificial intelligence.

With the very best wishes,
Dotini

Tetraeder, thank you very much for citing my IROC-Z setup as being of some service to you. It gives me an enormous amount of pleasure and satisfaction to assist a fellow human in overcoming a problem posed by artificial intelligence.i

Hello Dotini, in fact I was relying on quite a few of your set-ups in GT-Vault and still am. It is a pleasure for me to give you the well earned credit for your effort, work and willingness to share your results with us others.

Unfortunately I´m not much of a tuner due to the fact, that this is my first ever racing game (also my first TV video game since times of the Commodore 64 :)). On my search for assistance I stumbled over this forum, GT-Vault and I recognized and tried your set-ups for max. points. And most of them worked very well for me. Some did not, but the reason for that are my limited driving abilities. Thank you again for your effort.

Last edited:
Just to say, Respect to those who have got max points on the Hyundai races, best I could do earlier today was 156 points.:( Think they are possibly the hardest set of races in the game.

Just to say, Respect to those who have got max points on the Hyundai races, best I could do earlier today was 156 points.:( Think they are possibly the hardest set of races in the game.

They certainly are a pain in the neck. But one thing I can vouch is that persistance pays off.

Just keep practicing and have a look at Austin's Vid's.

When completing this series, I think Autum Ring and Tskuba were the biggest pain.
Especially when you actually get in front during the AR race, with approx 30 seconds (3 - 4 corners) to go and the Kettle has killed the power in the house.

Nemesis01 - I completely agree. Even "respect" is not a strong enough word. I too am stuck on 156 points at these races. I have studied Austin's video, but have been unable to duplicate his driving prowess. I am unable to get to the front, so have no chance of even worrying about blocking for 3 or 4 turns.

Edit: Clarification: I have 176 points at Grand Valley East and Seoul. Its Autumn Ring, Hong Kong and Tsukuba where I only have 156 points (the tracks that require turning on N1 tires).

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Last edited:
Yes, I think 156 is a much nicer number and for that reason I won't try the races again.

:D

In my second cruise through the one-makes I also retried the Hyundai races to improve my 137 points at each race from my first try some month ago. Managed 176 at GV and Seoul, which was not too difficult. In the other 3 races I managed to get only 156 each, Tsukuba with luck only. So I respectfully would like to join the 156 point club too and probably will not touch these three races again. They are beyond my driving abilities.

Thanks to Nemesis01 for getting us started, we have a nice exclusive club here!

"Hyundai Club 156" members:

AMG
Dotini
GTsail290
Nemesis01
Tetraeder
Uncle Harry

I think we need some rules.

Rule 1: Anyone can join if your maximum A-spec score is 156 points at any of the five Hyundai Festival One Make races

Rule 2: Members are limited to 365 attempts per year to prevent psychological damage

Rule 3: Members cannot leave "Club 156" unless a replay is posted, and an exit fee is sent to the remaining members (so they can replace their damaged TV screens and controllers).

Are there any more GTP drivers out there that would like to join our exclusive club?

GTsail290

Last edited:
Those are good, therapeutic rules to which I pledge to adhere.

I'm standing calm, proud and firm on 156 at Autumn Ring, Hong Kong and Tsukuba. :D

Ohh, come on guys, you are so close. Don't give up now.
Believe me, it is so gratifiying to know you can beat that blasted AI in a totally out classed car.
The biggest tip i can give is knowing where to "lean" on the AI.

Go 176, We know you can get there. 👍

Your encouragement is sincerely appreciated, Open Addict, believe me.

But we, the strugglers, need to stick together for mutual support, too.

So for the meantime, I will devote myself to my lacunae in the other one-make races. We in Club 156 will assist each other with setups and driving tips until the glorious day comes when the final breakthrough for 176 is achieved. :D

Believe me, it is so gratifiying to know you can beat that blasted AI in a totally out classed car.

We appreciate the encouragement.

But you must understand that the benefits enjoyed while belonging to our exclusive Hyundai Club 156 are unprecedented!

However, I suspect that secretly (in the dead of night) a few of our illustrious members have been at the tracks driving their Hyundai Tiburon's and getting close to the 365 attempt limit. Club officials are watching this closely.

GTsail290

+1 👍

Thanks to the encouragement and example of others, watching some video, then about 3 hours of effort, I was able to secure the maximum 182 points in the Crossfire event at Motegi SuperSpeedway.

The tactic I used was to ride the 5th place car all the way around the inside of the first turn, getting a superb shot off the corner and taking 4th place at the end of the backstretch, 1st lap. Judicious use of nitrous and careful passing were required, as were the unholy crash turn technique and interference with the 1st place Crossfire.

My major technical finding, found only on my final attempt, was that only 192 kg of ballast is required, not 200. This makes a definite difference, lads!

I also customized the gears and NOS setting a bit. For the curious, my full setup is : http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/setup-view/s_sid::8027/Crossfire-Dotini2001/

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, AMG and Uncle Harry are both eligible to join the Hyundai Club 156.

Therefore, after lengthy meetings behind closed doors in a secret and un-disclosed location, after various liquids were consummed, and substantial remuneration was provided, it was voted to add the aforementioned race car drivers to the premier Club on GTPlanet.

Welcome aboard!

GTsail290

For the benefit of Hyundai Club 156 members, and others who are interested in these hard races, I posted a revised Tiburon setup at the GTVault.

http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/setup-view/s_sid::8031/Tiburon-GT-Dotini2001/

I secured 166 points with it at Hong Kong, so it can't be entirely without merit. It was quite easy to catch the 5th place quicker than ever before, and a good start to the race is virtually guaranteed. Please, check it out for yourself and help us develop the ultimate Tiburon setup.

For the benefit of Hyundai Club 156 members, and others who are interested in these hard races, I posted a revised Tiburon setup at the GTVault.

http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/setup-view/s_sid::8031/Tiburon-GT-Dotini2001/

I secured 166 points with it at Hong Kong, so it can't be entirely without merit. It was quite easy to catch the 5th place quicker than ever before, and a good start to the race is virtually guaranteed. Please, check it out for yourself and help us develop the ultimate Tiburon setup.

Nice work Dotini -
I will give your tune a spin tonite. I was not able to try it last night because I've been driving my Asparadrink RX7 at Suzuka in the 1000km endurance race for the last couple of days. I will have to check my race log, because I may be getting close to the 365 attempt restriction.

GTsail290

I had a few goes earlier on Autumn Ring, best I could manage while going for 176 points was 2nd, not tried the other tracks but will give them a shot later on.

After more development of my setup, and more practice, my black Tiburon was able to pass the field and take 176 A-spec points at the Hyundai event at Hong Kong. MOV was about 0.5 seconds. :D

My revised setup, linked in post #176 above, goes a long way towards eliminating the wheelspin that so horribly cripples the performance of this vehicle. The final breakthrough came when I considerably lengthened 2nd and 3rd gears. This enabled me to set up and time a pass on the 5th place car at the first left which gave me a great run onto the straight. Once onto the straight, it was critical to time the use of nitrous so that maximum velocity could be achieved at the hairpin, but without hitting any other cars on the way in. Correctly done, 4th is passed in the hairpin and 3rd and 2nd are dead meat very shortly thereafter. :D

Since I had set the nitrous to a very conservative 60, I had plenty left to overtake the 1st place Tiburon right after the hairpin of the final lap.

Last edited:
Back