ORCA • TUNE-FREE RACING: BMW GT SPEC CHALLENGE - Sagarismic Double Champion!Finished 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 291 comments
I hate to complain after winning, but after the pit spot, the grip of my tires was not the same. I had to brake a hair earlier and I could not get onto the power as early as before. Before the stop I was doing easy 48s and then 49s later in the stint, without even pushing much, but after the stop, with less fuel, I was doing mostly 50s with a best of 49.8. I admit I was driving with more margin as I could only lose the race at that point, but not to the tune of nearly 2 seconds. Lucky for me I had a pretty big lead at that point, but in a closer race, this "glitch" could have been costly.

Anyway, good race everybody. Tire glitch aside, everything seemed to have gone well and the time change looked great. The lack of light at the infield kink caused my only small off of the race, but otherwise the track was well lit at night.

Sorry you had an issue. Good thing it didn't have any major impact on the outcome.

Did anyone else experience this issue after pitting? I had the exact opposite happen, my tires seemed to have more grip after the stop, the car was braking way more and turning in much more sharply which was actually a detriment because I didn't expect it and it threw me off my lines. At the time I was thinking it could be due to cooler track temps, it's about 7-8 degrees F cooler at night than during the day which in theory would lead to a little more grip. But if other people had less grip then that theory doesn't hold much water.

If this is a persistent issue we have two options: try slower wear rate and see if that minimizes the effect or do away with pitstops altogether.

I had the exact opposite happen, my tires seemed to have more grip after the stop
I'm not too sure about the scope of the glitch, it could be just about the lap times, or is it about the grip levels too?
Personally, I think I had less problems controlling the car after the pits, probably because by that time I've figured out that I gotta slow the hell down to stay on the track.

^I've heard about this glitch off many reliable people, but personally I've never experienced anything of the sort. Maybe I'm just no good at noticing these things, or maybe I'm just really lucky. It's a strange one...

I also had less grip after the stop. A thought I had is two heats. We could have done two 15 laps heats so to speak at Daytona and we can figure out what would best work for the rest of the schedule. Just a thought. To avoid pitstops. I felt the tire wear at fast was perfect. You were rewarded if you can enter and exit turns cleanly.

I also had less grip after the stop. A thought I had is two heats. We could have done two 15 laps heats so to speak at Daytona and we can figure out what would best work for the rest of the schedule. Just a thought. To avoid pitstops. I felt the tire wear at fast was perfect. You were rewarded if you can enter and exit turns cleanly.

That's not a bad thought and similar to something I've thought about in the past. Do a 12 lap race and then immediately start another 12 lap race using the starting option of "results from previous race". This would start us in the exact order we were running when the first race finished and would essentially just be like a full-course caution. Points would only be awarded for the results of the second race (both races would basically count as 1 long race).

It's an idea, but I've never done it and not sure how it would be received (I think it would confuse some people). I won't try anything like that with this current season, if anything I'd probably just do away with pitstops altogether.

I have tested this glitch very expensively on racing tires. It affects everyone, weather it gives more or less grip is debatable, but it absolutely changes the handling characteristics of the tires. I have found in most cases it causes slower lap times, but on tracks like the motegi oval with the right setup it can have the opposite effect. In such a short race it can be cool to use it for strategy. Its known and affects everyone in every league I've seen, so there really is no need to do anything to correct for it.

Looking forward to today's race..!
Hopefully, everybody that signed up for saturday, will be able to make it :P

See you on the race-track :cheers:

I should have the lounge open in about 2 hours. We still do the pitstop as planned, if anyone has grip issues on the second set of tires please report it here.

A reminder that we will doing 1 parade lap, try to keep it around 80mph (top of third gear), try to stay double-file and don't swerve around. Race goes green when the leaders cross the start/finish line.

Also, please use the access road when exiting the pits. Do not re-enter directly into turn 1.

I should have the lounge open in about 2 hours. We still do the pitstop as planned, if anyone has grip issues on the second set of tires please report it here.

A reminder that we will doing 1 parade lap, try to keep it around 80mph (top of third gear), try to stay double-file and don't swerve around. Race goes green when the leaders cross the start/finish line.

Also, please use the access road when exiting the pits. Do not re-enter directly into turn 1.

From extensive testing,, I can say with certainty that everyone will experience grip issues. The extent to which they notice it will depend on their driving style and the car/track , I haven't tested it under these parameters, but when testing the impact of the glitch for the January race, it seemed to affect this setup less than some of the other series that I run, however the impact of the glitch will be the same for everyone, it will just be as if you were to change compounds during the race.

Small crowd today but still fun. Congrats, again, Saga.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sagarismic wins again. Looks like he may run away with this....Good work Sag! Maybe you should run on Comfort Hards :lol: (just kidding)

Silverstone next! Hopefully we get more of a bigger crowds both days. Seems people are getting busy to race lately, including myself.

Good racing guys!! Just a question in the points why does it show me having 0 points for round 1?

Because some fool (me) forgot to hit the "sort" button on the spreadsheet after entering the results. Should be all fixed up now. 👍

Kinda disappointing crowds so far, 8 on Tuesday and only 6 on Saturday (the latter of which has 16 people registered). After next week if any of the registrants have failed to show up for a race yet they will be removed from the list and I will open it up to anyone who wants to join us.

I am sorry about not showing up this past Saturday. I fully intended to, but family issues arose (sick kiddos) and I was unable to attend. I will redouble my efforts to attend the next race.

I am sorry about not showing up this past Saturday. I fully intended to, but family issues arose (sick kiddos) and I was unable to attend. I will redouble my efforts to attend the next race.

No worries. Think you'll be around for tomorrow night?

Erh, what version of Silverstone and Nürburg are we on :confused:?

EDIT: Scrap that, I didn't bother reading the OP properly.

not much talk of the race happening today, is it still going ahead?

Yes sir. Are you in?

Robot Roll Call, let me know if you're going to be attending this evening.
@joetruckv8
@Naptown25rs
@weavty1
@dsgerbc
@SagarisGTB
@MC-Chase
@Johnnypenso
@Jackwagon
@Torzilla
@turnupdaheat
@acedition333
@GTPvw_slc
@RodeRuner1967

No special rules this evening, no parade lap. Just practice, qualify and race, one pitstop will be necessary. I should have the room open by 7:30pm EST and qualifying will start at 8pm EST.

yes sir, I'm on holidays, so unless I'm distracted, too drunk, or asleep, I'm there,

My internet connection went down last Wednesday after we were hit by hurricane force winds but I'm glad to see I've just been reconnected. So yessss, count me in for tonight!

Back