Overwatch ps4 pc xbox1

• Thread starter boomee
  • 568 comments
I picked this up over the weekend after initially being a bit unsure about it, however 'realistic' shooter fatigue had set in and was after something a bit more 'fun'.

Boy did I get what I wanted, its excellent and I'm only annoyed that its taken me this long to get on board.

Whoa, now that's a name I didn't expect to see in this thread.

Welcome to Overwatch! Try not to get too addicted.

Don't play Widowmaker.

I picked this up over the weekend after initially being a bit unsure about it, however 'realistic' shooter fatigue had set in and was after something a bit more 'fun'.

Boy did I get what I wanted, its excellent and I'm only annoyed that its taken me this long to get on board.

Looks like another one has been converted to the cult... Welcome to the world of Overwatch! All I can say is: have fun, and don't be a "Hanzo main".

Looks like another one has been converted to the cult... Welcome to the world of Overwatch! All I can say is: have fun, and don't be a "Hanzo main".
I have to be honest in the short time with it I've tried Hanzo and not really got on with him.

Interesting video.

To me, it seem so as though Sombra got the opposite treatment of Ana.

Ana was released as a somewhat strong hero, then was further buffed make people play her a little more, before slightly nerfing some aspects of her kit, without angering the community. Ana is still seen as a 'meta' hero, and has one of the most game changing ults in the game.

Sombra, on the other hand, was released as a much more balanced hero, bordering on slightly underpowered, then slowly buffed overtime. Unfortunately, she's already been branded as 'useless' and 'off-meta'. Her relative lack of DPS compared to the rest of the offense heroes probably amplifies this. It's a shame, because Sombra has a great kit, and possible the most powerful ult for engaging the enemy, as well as being incredibly dangerous to heroes that heavily rely on shields and abilities (Reinhardt, Zarya, Zenyatta, Tracer, etc). She's starting to get more usage in this season of competitive, but there are a lot of players that are apprehensive to having a Sombra on their team. It's hard being a Sombra main, I'll tell you that much.

--

Alright, so, competitive.

The current meta is kind of all over the place. It seems as though we have a mix of the traditional 2/2/2 meta (2 DPS, 2 Tanks, 2 Healers) and the "Triple Tank" meta (3 Tanks, 2 Healers, 1 DPS). Dive comps are also starting to make appearances, meaning Winston is seen a lot more in games, and also means that you'll see a lot more flankers (Genji, Tracer) on the opposing team. Pharmercy (Pharah with Mercy) continues to be a force that is incredibly difficult to stop on consoles. With Mercy pocketing a Pharah with heals, it's near impossible for Pharahs direct counters (McCree, S:76) to kill her effectively, especially if the Pharah stays out of their effective range. All of the Offense heroes, barring Reaper and McCree appear to be in the meta in some way. Tracer and Genji are perfect for "dive comps", flanking the opposition, and eliminating healers quickly). S:76 and Pharah are great for raw, upfront damage, and Sombra, despite her incredibly low pick rate, is perfect for shield dependant, or tank heavy teams. McCree is simply a worse Soldier (worse mobility, harder to use, horrific ultimate, can't self-heal, etc), and everything Reaper does, Roadhog can do a lot better, with the added benefit of being able to heal 300 health every 8 seconds or so.

Defence heroes are so-so right about now. Mei is pretty good for stalling a point, but her usability falls off by quite a lot the further you climb up the competitive ladder. Bastion, while being pretty powerful, doesn't see that much usage, which is pretty shocking. He's pretty good for taking Pharahs out, considering his effective range is slightly better than McCrees and Soldiers. I wouldn't bother with anyone else. Torbjorn can be an ok pick for a 2CP map (Volskaya, Anubis, Hanamura), but this is incredibly situational. Other than that...nah. Junkrat does have high usage in Platinum, but he's not a very good pick; despite doing good damage with his grenades, his accuracy with said grenades is bad enough that he might not get a kill with them, which feeds the ults of healers, and if the opposing team has one, Sombra. In addition to this, his grenades are the perfect way for Zarya players to charge up their damage to ridiculous levels, which is again, feeding the enemy team. Couple this with his incredibly mediocre ultimate, and it's not a good combination against a team that might be using a solid composition against you.

Currently, every tank has a place in the meta. Winston, D.Va and Zarya are amazing for dive comps, Rein is the anchor tank, and Roadhog and Orisa have the pure DPS to take on a lot of heroes. All of their ultimates, barring D.Va's, are incredibly powerful, too (D.Va's ult can be powerful, but when you climb up the ladder, needs a lot more coordination and teamwork for it so work; otherwise, it's just a way for the enemy team to run off of the point for a couple seconds. However, looking at the PTR changes, Roadhog is about to be severely nerfed. His damage is being reduced by 33%, meaning that his Hook+Shoot combo isn't a guaranteed pick on the squishier heroes anymore. Couple this with his reduced damage overall, and Roadhog might just be a walking ult battery.

Support heroes are also in a great place. After his somewhat recent buffs, Lucio is even stronger than he was before, allowing him to actual deal good damage to other heroes. His speed boost is also great, and his healing, while not the best, really gets the job done. Sound Barrier is a solid ultimate too, provided a Sombra isn't on the other team to counter it immediately with an EMP. Nothing to say about Ana. She's been in the meta since her release, and shows no signs of dropping out, considering she has an incredible ultimate (provided you don't boost a Lucio or a Mercy) and the best healing in the game. Mercy usage appears to have increased dramatically as the seasons go by, mainly due to the fact that she's incredibly easy to use, and is probably the easiest hero to "one trick" and climb with (I have someone on my friends list who I last played with in Season 3; he made it to high plat/low diamond by the end of the season before becoming a "Mercy one trick". At the end of Season 4, he was at the very bottom of Grandmaster; around 200SR or so from being in the Top 500). Ultimate is still incredibly powerful; even more so now that she's completely invulnerable when casting it. If you kill a Mercy on a point, then kill the rest of her team a short while after, do everything in your power to make sure she does not get back to the point. There has been times where a Zarya has simply burned her ultimate (which takes an incredibly long time to charge) just to stop a Mercy from resurrecting her teammates. Always remember; kill the Mercy first, not 11th. Zenyatta is a great healer for dive comps, and when he wants, can put out a simply ridiculous amount of damage in a short amount of time (this is balanced out by his mediocre healing capabilities). Always be careful when there is an Ana, or a Sombra on the opposing team. If an Ana hits your team with a Biotic Grenade while they are under Transcendance, the ult is made useless, and a Genji could run up and wipe out the team while they are all bunched up. If Sombra hits you with an EMP, you can't heal your teammates, can't increase damage done to enemies, and most importamtly, you're left with 50HP (as Zenyatta has 150HP made up of shields, and these are broken instantly by EMP), meaning that you can be killed very easily. Symettra isn't as 'meta' as the other support heroes as she's pretty situational, but can be pretty strong on the first points of 2CP and Hybrid maps. She's exceptionally strong on Eichenwalde, as she can block off both the main chokepoint, and the side room, leaving just the right flank left; which only Pharah can reach. What's more, her ult charges incredibly quickly; Teleporters are incredibly useful, if they aren't found first.

(provided you don't boost a Lucio)

Why are you using such violent language? Boostio is totally viable. /s

With Mercy pocketing a Pharah with heals, it's near impossible for Pharahs direct counters (McCree, S:76) to kill her effectively, especially if the Pharah stays out of their effective range.

When I'm playing Mercy, I typically damage boost teammates that are already at or near full health. Is it more worthwhile to just keep holding the heal button instead of the boost? Also, how much does the damage boost really give?

... Orisa have the pure DPS to take on a lot of heroes.

One tactic that worked extremely well for me in quick play (no communication besides requesting heals or group up voice lines) was to hide in a corner behind an Orisa plus her shield and keep damage boosting her along with other DPS characters (Pharah, S76, Reaper) and we easily won. Of course, it was only on capture point maps and in quick play so we probably won because the other team had a few trash players.

Always remember; kill the Mercy first

*Sudden flashbacks to getting Roadhooked*

Dan
Why are you using such violent language? Boostio is totally viable. /s

BOOSTIOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dan
When I'm playing Mercy, I typically damage boost teammates that are already at or near full health. Is it more worthwhile to just keep holding the heal button instead of the boost?

Nah, what you're doing right now is great. It depends on what you're doing though. If you're simply defending a choke, holding the heals wouldn't go amis. If you're diving with a Winston, you'd need to alternate between the two pretty quickly.

Dan
Also, how much does the damage boost really give?

If I remember correctly, it's 30%.
Dan
One tactic that worked extremely well for me in quick play (no communication besides requesting heals or group up voice lines) was to hide in a corner behind an Orisa plus her shield and keep damage boosting her along with other DPS characters (Pharah, S76, Reaper) and we easily won. Of course, it was only on capture point maps and in quick play so we probably won because the other team had a few trash players.

It's a pretty well used tactic in comp, too! I used it with my friend recently, actually. I placed a shield in a corner, and l let him damage boost/heal the team in safety. I didn't need to work about the rest of the team not being shielded, as we were running a triple tank set up.

Dan
*Sudden flashbacks to getting Roadhooked*

Man, he isn't even scary anymore.

Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here looking at my hard copy I got and remember that my PS4 needs space.

*Single tear*

Just played a bunch of rounds with @TS050. Had some wins and losses, ranked up from level 16 to 20, and got some lootboxes. Not a single worthwhile item from the event with duplicates. The only legendary I got was the "Gearbot" skin for Bastion, who I rarely play as. It's not even from the event! I've had countless silvers and blues. It honestly feels like I'm playing for nothing. If Blizzard wanted to thank us for playing, they shouldn't have made it nearly impossible to get these EVENT-LOCKED ITEMS.

Is it too much to ask for the "Combat Medic Ziegler" skin (I know it's from Uprising, not the Anniversary. Still pissed I didn't get it) and Mercy's "Hustle" emote? I can only hope these items will be available next year.

Dan
Just played a bunch of rounds with @TS050. Had some wins and losses, ranked up from level 16 to 20, and got some lootboxes. Not a single worthwhile item from the event with duplicates. The only legendary I got was the "Gearbot" skin for Bastion, who I rarely play as. It's not even from the event! I've had countless silvers and blues. It honestly feels like I'm playing for nothing. If Blizzard wanted to thank us for playing, they shouldn't have made it nearly impossible to get these EVENT-LOCKED ITEMS.

Is it too much to ask for the "Combat Medic Ziegler" skin (I know it's from Uprising, not the Anniversary. Still pissed I didn't get it) and Mercy's "Hustle" emote? I can only hope these items will be available next year.

oh my god the Sombra that just casually pushed the payload to the end with none of us noticing

At least you got your first POTG!

Wait you guys played together? I wish i could've joined but i was busy grinding in quick play last night.

oh my god the Sombra that just casually pushed the payload to the end with none of us noticing

At least you got your first POTG!

Yeah, that was crazy. I had pushed towards the attackers to heal teammates and because I thought I heard a genji nearby. Can't believe she just walked by all of us to win the round. :lol:

Wait you guys played together? I wish i could've joined but i was busy grinding in quick play last night.

It was an impromptu session. I had originally planned on going solo in QP but then he started spectating me so I messaged him, then invited him to play.

Started doing Competitive Play for the last couple of days and it's a much more intense experience than regular Quick Play. I've been holding out relatively okay in the few matches that I've done with a reasonable SR.

Double XP has also been helping a lot though I've only got 2 Anniversary skins. Will likely splurge Credits on some of the dance emotes before the event ends.

Just out of curiosity, in case I want to record a match with toxic players (Hopefully that never happens, but I only play on PS4 so it's inevitable), is there a way to have the game still play chat audio so I don't have to hear it and listen to regular game audio? For example, could I plug in my headphones (but not wear them) so they will only have chat audio coming through, while my TV speakers play game audio?

Thor arm wrestling Symmetra's VA. :lol:

UPDATE: Also the Horizon moon map is out now.

Last edited:
I had some fun games last night. I managed to group up with five other players and we managed to mostly play well together. I played many of the games as Ana and will likely be playing her much more. I also played some Zenyatta and Soldier 76.

Oh my.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20877886

Also kinda related:
DSC_0015.JPG

Last edited:
Dan
Just out of curiosity, in case I want to record a match with toxic players (Hopefully that never happens, but I only play on PS4 so it's inevitable), is there a way to have the game still play chat audio so I don't have to hear it and listen to regular game audio? For example, could I plug in my headphones (but not wear them) so they will only have chat audio coming through, while my TV speakers play game audio?

ok so this is almost a month late butttt

Yeah, just plug in the headphones and play the game normally. I was playing comp with some loud foreigners and couldn't deal with the noise, so I did this.

Back