Patch 5 for PS4 is therePS4 

• Thread starter DeuxMilles
  • 146 comments
Thought I'd share an onboard from today's testing around Paul Ricard in a 488 GT3. You can make some comparisons to sound and (to me...) steering ratios in reference to the games. Having spent a lot of time on AC recently (with PS4) I cannot quite wrap my head around the insanely quick steering, especially compared to how it is in real life:

Did you Know: The 488 GT3 uses the same steering rack as the 488 road car
Wow nice driving man! That's awesome!

Regarding sounds i think AC has the best sounds then Project cars 2 then GTS if I want to compare it to your video.
What do you say!?

Regarding steering ratios yes i never noticed that AC is too aggressive on that until I bought project cars 2. I then noticed that pc2 requires too much steering input compared to AC and thought that AC is the more realistic. Then i watched some onboard footage and it turned out PC2 is the more realistic. Then someone told me that on ps4, AC adopts 900deg of rotation (cannot be modified) while PC2 adopts 1080 that canbe modified. Also it seems it's affected by the wheel you use, I have a g29.
If I have to rank them, i say PC2 then AC then GTS that adopts a steep linearity factor in the steering that makes even the hardest turns can be made at 90 to 120deg of rotation on the wheel.
What do you say!?

Wow nice driving man! That's awesome!

Regarding sounds i think AC has the best sounds then Project cars 2 then GTS if I want to compare it to your video.
What do you say!?

Regarding steering ratios yes i never noticed that AC is too aggressive on that until I bought project cars 2. I then noticed that pc2 requires too much steering input compared to AC and thought that AC is the more realistic. Then i watched some onboard footage and it turned out PC2 is the more realistic. Then someone told me that on ps4, AC adopts 900deg of rotation (cannot be modified) while PC2 adopts 1080 that canbe modified. Also it seems it's affected by the wheel you use, I have a g29.
If I have to rank them, i say PC2 then AC then GTS that adopts a steep linearity factor in the steering that makes even the hardest turns can be made at 90 to 120deg of rotation on the wheel.
What do you say!?

The steering input in PCars2 feels realistic to me in most cars, but there are some exceptions. I think the Ferrari GT3 car is one where I felt I need to much wheel rotation with the default setup, so I increased it a little bit.

I haven't mate. But I've driven a LaFerrari a few times and that thing is mental.

But

Both the LaFerrari FXXK and Mclaren P1 GTR are slower than a GT3 spec race car.

Yeah i heard about that which also bring up a question?

Does it depend on the track? I'm sure a GT3 spec race car is faster on a track with alot of turns and short straights, But what about a Track like Le man which features alot of long high speed straights and turns?

Yeah i heard about that which also bring up a question?

Does it depend on the track? I'm sure a GT3 spec race car is faster on a track with alot of turns and short straights, But what about a Track like Le man which features alot of long high speed straights and turns?

The GT3 would still be a tiny bit quicker :)

A little surprise by it :) thanks you for the insight its something i didn't believe was true, so its nice to hear it from a real race car driver :)
The Mclaren P1 is not a slow car by any means. Don't get me wrong on that. It's just that the downforce and brakes in the GT3's is incredible, even though we lack the horsepower.

I've seen a good improvement on tyres on various cars.
Ferrari 330 p4 is now 2 sec a lap quicker (oulton Park) and a even better drive (loose setup)
BMW Group 5 is even more fun to drive, which in result produces at least 1.5 second a lap quicker around Sakitto GP (loose set up)
Toyota Rocket Bunny GT4 again even more fun to drive, can still be difficult but once you nail it 👍, (loose setup)
Lotus 78 Cosworth amazing around azure circuit, not fully tested after the patch yet (loose setup)
LMP2's 2 second a lap quicker around Spa. (loose setup)

If they are making the cars drive easier but still providing a challenge on the limit then it looks bright to me. Which makes it more accessible to beginners which you seem to have been asking for.

Who said it was not tested, it seems to be a good update regarding tyres. Fortunately I dont always believe what I read, I will try things myself before making an opinion and to me the update is a good one.

So I'm doing something wrong on the hard slicks?

I'm just sliding all over the place since patch5 I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

What temperature range should they work?

Or is there actually an issue with the hard slicks?

I'm just sliding all over the place since patch5 I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

You do need to get them to temperature. So I use them above 35 C track temperature and you should get them to about 85 C - 105 C. Anything below, the softs will get better results. Also the hards can be problematic when you have basically the right track temperature for them but long straights. They tend to cool down to much.

Thought I'd share an onboard from today's testing around Paul Ricard in a 488 GT3. You can make some comparisons to sound and (to me...) steering ratios in reference to the games. Having spent a lot of time on AC recently (with PS4) I cannot quite wrap my head around the insanely quick steering, especially compared to how it is in real life:

Did you Know: The 488 GT3 uses the same steering rack as the 488 road car

Incredible :) I would love to know what steering wheel are you using on PS4, and what is your FFB settings in PC2. With that experience you have probably the closest settings to real thing :D

@pyrates and @Mr Grumpy do you guys have a track/date to test on which I should easily make the temps and see if that happened to be the issue. On algarve with the groupC career I faster on softs then hards even when my softd overheat (40°C track temp).

@Mr Tree, don't ask me, I'm still a beginner & very much learning the tricks as well :)

I always use the current date, no reason why. I just like racing on the real date.

I'm quite hard on my tyres so using hards benefit my driving style as I normally cook my softs within a few laps & then have to back off a little.

I dont know if your doing anything wrong, what car are you struggling with ? When is it sliding all over the place, Turn in, Mid corner, or on the exit ?

Maybe try Braking a bit earlier and going down the gears later.

Personally I dont know the temp range (think its been answered), I just try to keep them in the green and just adapt to what the car is doing.

As for an issue with hard slicks again im not sure I was running tt's at the time of the update and found the above cars quicker and easier, plus various other cars

I dont know if your doing anything wrong, what car are you struggling with ? When is it sliding all over the place, Turn in, Mid corner, or on the exit ?

Maybe try Braking a bit earlier and going down the gears later.

Personally I dont know the temp range (think its been answered), I just try to keep them in the green and just adapt to what the car is doing.

As for an issue with hard slicks again im not sure I was running tt's at the time of the update and found the above cars quicker and easier, plus various other cars

I'm running the tires in the green and it was in the mercedes C9 (Sauber).
I'll try the gte ford tonight.

My issues are under loading of the tires so mainly under braking and accellerating.

What is getting me a bit weirded out is the fact that I can achieve better laptimes on soft tires that are overheated then on good temp hards.

I'll try diffrent pressures also.

Thx for the help allready!

@pyrates But can't you shut the brake duct a little to keep heat in the tyres from the brakes, as they cool down to much on long straights aswell?

Yes, sure that would help to a degree. The brakes do heat up the core but the surface will still cool quite a bit. So with the brakes you would rather influence pressure which is dependent on core temperature. Surface temperature is what gives you the actual grip.

@pyrates and @Mr Grumpy do you guys have a track/date to test on which I should easily make the temps and see if that happened to be the issue. On algarve with the groupC career I faster on softs then hards even when my softd overheat (40°C track temp).

Algrave should light up the tires quite nicely actually. What kind of surface temps are you getting for both tires and what kind of pressures are you running?

Last edited:
I was getting in the 80C the pressures seemed to be a bit high (default setup) and run towards 2bars as hot pressures.

80 C is at the lower limit for hards and pretty good for softs. So based on temperatures, softs would provide better grip. The pressure is too high for a C9. Group 6 cars should be run at around 1.7 bar hot pressure, adjusted for track and individual preference of course.

80 C is at the lower limit for hards and pretty good for softs. So based on temperatures, softs would provide better grip. The pressure is too high for a C9. Group 6 cars should be run at around 1.7 bar hot pressure, adjusted for track and individual preference of course.

Yeah the softs run at around 100°C.
But I'll try the hards with correct pressures too :P

I'm running the tires in the green and it was in the mercedes C9 (Sauber).
I'll try the gte ford tonight.

My issues are under loading of the tires so mainly under braking and accellerating.

What is getting me a bit weirded out is the fact that I can achieve better laptimes on soft tires that are overheated then on good temp hards.

I'll try diffrent pressures also.

Thx for the help allready!

Gave the sauber C9 a go around spa 1/6/2018 13:00 pm, on loose default set up.
Soft tyres were quicker with a lot more grip but destroyed the front tyres, stable under braking and acceleration.

Hard tyres, have to be careful with the breaks very easy to lock up, also have to be careful on acceleration they are slippy, a better tyre for a long run though.
Small alteration to rear tyre pressure to 21,76 psi same as fronts, brake pressure to 87% and brake balance to 55/45 made the braking a lot more stable and acceleration a lot easier.

@Mr Tree just try reducing rear tyre pressure if like me you don't like messing with tunning and yes the softs for this group are quicker for short runs, hards for long runs.

Last edited:
Mapping a brake bias button can be a very handy thing to do, especially if you start to get front or rear lockups when the tyres start to wear.

Hey guys, got a chance to drive the 488 Challenge again this past weekend. The camera is way over exposed but again you can see the difference in steering ratio vs the games. Also, the sound:

How do you compare it to the in-game PC2 version?
I felt the real car is way more planted and stable that the PC2 version.
As for steering ratio, I felt it's nearly the same as PC2 (i.e. requiring some considerable turning).
As for sounds, it's pretty close but of course the PC2 version is way more "roary" since it's a game and it needs to be like that to be enjoyed.

Latest Posts

Back