Patch Release Notes and Discussion Thread

• Thread starter DrJustice
  • 1,286 comments
Tonight's tests so far:

Ran the McLaren 12C GT3 round the mighty Oulton Int., 2 short races

First race with Mediums, front pressure 2.00.
Front left was running around 230 temp after a couple of laps.
On lap 6 this tire started turning red, temp was at 240 when this happened.
Temp stayed around 240 until the end of the race (lap 7).
Best time 1:35.5.

Second race with Softs on, same pressure.
Front left started turning red at the end of lap 4.
Highest temp was 246, but would cool and fluctuate between 240-246 (240 was still mostly green).
Fastest lap 1:34.9

What I took away from these races was that I did not really enjoy driving on the Mediums, the grip was lower, especially turn 1 and the final turn. I was surprised I was only half a second slower though.

So I would much rather drive on Softs, even if they go red more quickly. The red overheated Softs still gave way more grip than fresh green Mediums, but the times weren't a lot different in the end.

EDIT: I really should start using the correct spelling of 'tyre' lol

Tonight's tests so far:

Ran the McLaren 12C GT3 round the mighty Oulton Int., 2 short races

First race with Mediums, front pressure 2.00.
Front left was running around 230 temp after a couple of laps.
On lap 6 this tire started turning red, temp was at 240 when this happened.
Temp stayed around 240 until the end of the race (lap 7).
Best time 1:35.5.

Second race with Softs on, same pressure.
Front left started turning red at the end of lap 4.
Highest temp was 246, but would cool and fluctuate between 240-246 (240 was still mostly green).
Fastest lap 1:34.9

What I took away from these races was that I did not really enjoy driving on the Mediums, the grip was lower, especially turn 1 and the final turn. I was surprised I was only half a second slower though.

So I would much rather drive on Softs, even if they go red more quickly. The red overheated Softs still gave way more grip than fresh green Mediums, but the times weren't a lot different in the end.

EDIT: I really should start using the correct spelling of 'tyre' lol
For some reason when you overheat front tires in this game you get very little understeer, but if you overheat your rears you slide everywhere.

I have yet to try the new patch but from what I gather in this thread, the new tire heating model seems to be a step in the right direction. I was disappointed early in the game that you could just run the crap out of tires on most cars without any penalty whatsoever. I really expected to have to manage my tires in this sim and was disappointed when that wasn't the case, for the most part anyway. I'm not saying it's properly balanced as it is now, but you shouldn't be able to just abuse the hell out of racing soft compounds, lap after lap, without them overheating and wearing out extremely quickly, especially on warmer tracks with higher ambient temperatures.

For some reason when you overheat front tires in this game you get very little understeer, but if you overheat your rears you slide everywhere.
I've never had rears overheating without at least one front going at the same time. What would you have to do to get rears overheating and not the fronts? Continuous donuts? :P

I've never had rears overheating without at least one front going at the same time. What would you have to do to get rears overheating and not the fronts? Continuous donuts? :P

Depends on set up. I usually prefer a car to have a strong front end and a looser rear, and with a set up like that, the rear will let go before the front in most corners, so the rears tend to heat up quicker. Some people prefer rear stability, so they don't have to be so delicate on the throttle, and those set ups will make the front tyres let go first, resulting in scrubbing the fronts, which will heat them up quicker. Stock tunes tend to be biased towards the latter, to make it a little easier on pad users.

I have yet to try the new patch but from what I gather in this thread, the new tire heating model seems to be a step in the right direction. I was disappointed early in the game that you could just run the crap out of tires on most cars without any penalty whatsoever. I really expected to have to manage my tires in this sim and was disappointed when that wasn't the case, for the most part anyway. I'm not saying it's properly balanced as it is now, but you shouldn't be able to just abuse the hell out of racing soft compounds, lap after lap, without them overheating and wearing out extremely quickly, especially on warmer tracks with higher ambient temperatures.

Yes i agree but its like were just scrubbing in at 70% and not able to really race on them :lol:

I was messing around online at Sakitto in the rain and did a 25 lap race, just myself and 24 AI's. I was able to run the whole race on 1 set of wets by managing the tyres and keeping them in the green where the AI all pitted, so it was an easy win even with them on 100%.

On another note I saw that you can now set up to 24 hour practice sessions, so it should be possible to run an endurance series similar to the one @AJ runs on GT6, but with a lot more cars / teams on track.

Would anyone be interested in an online endurance series?

I was messing around online at Sakitto in the rain and did a 25 lap race, just myself and 24 AI's. I was able to run the whole race on 1 set of wets by managing the tyres and keeping them in the green where the AI all pitted, so it was an easy win even with them on 100%.

On another note I saw that you can now set up to 24 hour practice sessions, so it should be possible to run an endurance series similar to the one @AJ runs on GT6, but with a lot more cars / teams on track.

Would anyone be interested in an online endurance series?
If only they allowed for Drivers changes when in pits!

I would hope some day for all the posters in this particular thread could somehow find ourselves in the same on-line lobby. For me at least I think it would be educational. I am not sure the various time zones would allow.
Would almost have to be done on a weekend. That would be on hell of a cruse/tuning/conversation session.
Cant help but think it would be a lot of fun. Of course Project Cars needs to get VOIP working for open chat.

I would hope some day for all the posters in this particular thread could somehow find ourselves in the same on-line lobby. For me at least I think it would be educational. I am not sure the various time zones would allow.
Would almost have to be done on a weekend. That would be on hell of a cruse/tuning/conversation session.
Cant help but think it would be a lot of fun. Of course Project Cars needs to get VOIP working for open chat.
I was thinking earlier that an epic practise session with loads of us would be a laugh. Just cruising round doing some laps and whatnot. If there was a way to create a practise session where anyone could bring any car they liked that'd be awesome, seeing all the different cars driving round.

EDIT: and it could be called... A track day! Is there a game out there where this is possible?

I was thinking earlier that an epic practise session with loads of us would be a laugh. Just cruising round doing some laps and whatnot. If there was a way to create a practise session where anyone could bring any car they liked that'd be awesome, seeing all the different cars driving round.

Indeed. I think of the cars as extensions of the people who drive them. Hopefully this can happen.:bowdown:
Most of my mates were still on GT6. But we used to cruse/race and fool about every Saturday.
Just one laugh after another. Some of my frinds were stunningly fast. Of course I was captain slow.......track dependent.
:gtpflag:

Now that would be worth buying a PS Plus subscription for! :D Or at the very least getting the free trial. ;)

Well, I'm going to open a room every evening (between 6PM and Mid Night Eastern Standard Time) including Saturday and Sunday.

My bandwidth is quite good. So at least we'll have a jump off point. I'm not sure how the time relates across the pond.

Here's my video showing why I say the tires are broken. I did an out lap then 2 laps conserving tires and then 2 laps pushing the tires.

All of my temperatures are in Fahrenheit. The track was 87 degrees with overcast. My biggest complaint is still the tires are too sensitive to load. This is fairly obvious watching the video. Going through the carousel the tires went up an average of 17 degrees from entry to exit when conserving them. When pushing the went up an average of 25 degrees. That's 25 degrees in one corner. That will put them at 260+ the more laps you do at that pace. That is the root of the problem right there. The tires are very sensible temperatures throughout the lap until you get to the middle of sector 2. Then they skyrocket for the rest of the lap. One thing about Road America is the right hand turns are mostly stop and go with low lateral loads while the left hand turns are high lateral load turns. This means the left side tires will always be hotter. However if you pause the video on the finish line on the second lap of each test you will see the right front is almost identical in both conserving and pushing yet the left front is 12 degrees hotter when pushing. Let's also not forget we were told by SMS softs on GT3 cars should last for a full fuel load. That isn't going to happen when your tires are over 240 when not even pushing. In real life they can run some 45 minutes plus, while still pushing the car. We're talking about cars that run 24 hour endurance races that can't even push on a soft tire for one lap now with out hitting 260 degrees on a track that's bellow 90 degrees.

Here's my setup if anyone wants to perform the same test with the same format.
image.jpg

Brakes 100 58 75
Mapping 5
Differential 30 63 40
Radiator 1
Transmission 3.61
Weight 52.5
Fuel 25

On another note I saw that you can now set up to 24 hour practice sessions, so it should be possible to run an endurance series similar to the one @AJ runs on GT6,

Whilst the new maximum practice session length of 24h allows us to technically run races of up to 22h, there are still some data recording issues that prohibit it.

but with a lot more cars / teams on track.

Isn't the limit 16 on PS4 and 24 on PC?

Here's my video showing why I say the tires are broken. I did an out lap then 2 laps conserving tires and then 2 laps pushing the tires.

All of my temperatures are in Fahrenheit. The track was 87 degrees with overcast. My biggest complaint is still the tires are too sensitive to load. This is fairly obvious watching the video. Going through the carousel the tires went up an average of 17 degrees from entry to exit when conserving them. When pushing the went up an average of 25 degrees. That's 25 degrees in one corner. That will put them at 260+ the more laps you do at that pace. That is the root of the problem right there. The tires are very sensible temperatures throughout the lap until you get to the middle of sector 2. Then they skyrocket for the rest of the lap. One thing about Road America is the right hand turns are mostly stop and go with low lateral loads while the left hand turns are high lateral load turns. This means the left side tires will always be hotter. However if you pause the video on the finish line on the second lap of each test you will see the right front is almost identical in both conserving and pushing yet the left front is 12 degrees hotter when pushing. Let's also not forget we were told by SMS softs on GT3 cars should last for a full fuel load. That isn't going to happen when your tires are over 240 when not even pushing. In real life they can run some 45 minutes plus, while still pushing the car. We're talking about cars that run 24 hour endurance races that can't even push on a soft tire for one lap now with out hitting 260 degrees on a track that's bellow 90 degrees.

Here's my setup if anyone wants to perform the same test with the same format. View attachment 482155
Brakes 100 58 75
Mapping 5
Differential 30 63 40
Radiator 1
Transmission 3.61
Weight 52.5
Fuel 25

What is your steering ratio mate? Also wow at the front camber! Did you try with less?

What is your steering ratio mate? Also wow at the front camber! Did you try with less?
I literally just saw the camber when looking at the pic. I'll change it later and try again to see if it affects heat. If it does I'll redo the test. Ratio is 13.9:1. Don't get to held up on the steering ratios. All it does is turn the wheels faster when your turn the wheel. This does not mean more scrub.

Here's my setup if anyone wants to perform the same test with the same format. View attachment 482155
Brakes 100 58 75
Mapping 5
Differential 30 63 40
Radiator 1
Transmission 3.61
Weight 52.5
Fuel 25

Thanks for the video, but yeah that set up isn't helping you. Obviously you didn't realise the front camber, and as it's broken, all it does is slow you down, and put more heat into the tyres when they're loaded up, which explains your much higher front temps than rears.

If you were getting that much more front temp than rear, I'd say you were scrubbing the fronts, but seeing that camber level, and as we can't see your steering input, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as it looks like you're driving smoothly in the laps where you're trying to be conservative.

One thing I did notice though, was in your conservative laps, your inputs looked smoother (again, can't tell about the steering input, but the car's attitude suggested smooth), but you were sustaining almost identical peak loads to your harder laps. When I was testing, I noticed I could be silky smooth, but putting too much lateral load on the tyres would still heat them up, especially if those loads were sustained in long corners. I was purposely allowing a little bit of room for the tyres, and not running the fronts close to the grip limit. Opening up the steering angle a bit, and only going slightly slower to allow it, was losing me less than a second per lap, but doing so allowed my temps to drop over the course of a lap by 10C, so keeping them level would allow even less conservation.

As for your set up, obviously you know where the camber should be, but also try increasing your rake angle, as this will give you a more positive front end in slow to medium corners, and will aid downforce. The added rake will mean you won't need those 2 degrees of negative toe on the front. Toe only gives you more initial turn in, which I hate, because right after that extra initial turn in, you will start scrubbing the fronts if you're not careful, as it gives you the impression of more front grip than you actually have. So use other settings to get a stronger front end, and get rid of the toe, as it will also add to your temps even if you're not scrubbing.

I also read this interesting post on the official forum:

"I get the impression from a lot of people that as soon as they come out of the pits, they just start driving hard like they did prior to patch 6.0. Beforehand, there was no preparation of the tyres for quali laps, and people were just going quickly as soon as they drive out the pits because the grip is already there and heat was never an issue. Nicholas Hamilton posted a fantastic post on WMD2 a while back (I'd like to quote it and put it in here for people to read if that's allowed?), but basically he was saying how fragile a brand new set of tyres are, and require heat cycles and care for the first couple of laps to build up towards a flying lap once the tyres and brakes are properly bedded in. Something we didn't need to do until now. I've half tested it with taking the outlap very easy, and then going harder on lap 2 and hoping to get the bast qualy lap on my 3rd or 4th lap of a run. Even from that I found the temperatures to be more manageable and don't increase quite as quickly. Obviously it still requires car and smooth inputs on the actual lap, but the pace and grip is better than if driving out the box and going from the off. The later just seems to flash heat the rubber, which is only going to make things worse if it's constantly happening with scrubbing and the tyres not having time to recover and cool down effectively. Basically you end up starting with good grip, flash heat, less grip, more steering lock, more scrubbing, more flash heat, further less grip, more steering lock and more scrubbing, which basically just goes on and on, snowballing producing poor lap times and very hot tyres. Take it easier on the first few laps, and then slowly build up the pace and the gentle progression of heat in the tyre will bed them in nicely giving you the grip and more stable temperatures you need. In the words of Nicholas Hamilton in that post: 'Allow the tyre to BRING you the time, instead of you trying to DRIVE for the time.'"

Back