Patch Release Notes and Discussion Thread

• Thread starter DrJustice
  • 1,286 comments
Now that I have played with Patch 2.0 for a while I have found the following on PS4.

* I get short cut notifications when in fact I am in the middle of the track but only when near an AI car
* The AI is far more aggressive and tend to ram more, especially when I am overtaking
* The AI still does not respect track limits e.g turn 1 Watkins Glen
* I have had short cut notifications when I have had two wheels on the track e.g last turn Hockenheim
* Tyres and weather are still broken (badly) as is the AI ability in the rain
* I get DQed when stationary after being hit by AI
* The game still crashes regularly (too regularly!)
* T300 wheel still occasionally clips (white line in HUD goes crazy and wheel buzzes) But is definitely better
* There are still the invisible objects on track that I occasionally hit but do not result in a catastrophic outcome now
* T300 random button pushes seems to have stopped (cross fingers)
* My times in community events now register quicker (and don't get deleted)

All in all it is only an incremental change but in the right direction.

One interesting thing I found that I am chuckling about is at Zolder, on the back straight after the turn with the jump, leading into the right hand corner, there is a 100m breaking marker, on the fence on the left and side of the track. After patch 2.0 SMS has grown a tree branch over it so it is now partially obscured. Why????? Surely there are far more pressing issues to think about without taking the time to groom the shrubbery around some tracks?

While we are talking about visuals I just want to ask why is the Sun (especially in foggy conditions) made out of white post it notes? It looks shocking. And then it is reflected in all its ugliness on the car's bonnet! I just don't get this? It would be fine for a PS1 but not now :-( Why can't it be at least a little bit round?

Now that I have played with Patch 2.0 for a while I have found the following on PS4.

* I get short cut notifications when in fact I am in the middle of the track but only when near an AI car
* The AI is far more aggressive and tend to ram more, especially when I am overtaking
* The AI still does not respect track limits e.g turn 1 Watkins Glen
* I have had short cut notifications when I have had two wheels on the track e.g last turn Hockenheim
* Tyres and weather are still broken (badly) as is the AI ability in the rain
* I get DQed when stationary after being hit by AI
* The game still crashes regularly (too regularly!)
* T300 wheel still occasionally clips (white line in HUD goes crazy and wheel buzzes) But is definitely better
* There are still the invisible objects on track that I occasionally hit but do not result in a catastrophic outcome now
* T300 random button pushes seems to have stopped (cross fingers)
* My times in community events now register quicker (and don't get deleted)

All in all it is only an incremental change but in the right direction.

One interesting thing I found that I am chuckling about is at Zolder, on the back straight after the turn with the jump, leading into the right hand corner, there is a 100m breaking marker, on the fence on the left and side of the track. After patch 2.0 SMS has grown a tree branch over it so it is now partially obscured. Why????? Surely there are far more pressing issues to think about without taking the time to groom the shrubbery around some tracks?

While we are talking about visuals I just want to ask why is the Sun (especially in foggy conditions) made out of white post it notes? It looks shocking. And then it is reflected in all its ugliness on the car's bonnet! I just don't get this? It would be fine for a PS1 but not now :-( Why can't it be at least a little bit round?
The sun looks particularly awful when viewed through one of those visor strip things at the top of the windscreen. Blocky indeed.

And regarding bonnet reflections, is it just me or does the reflection scroll across the bonnet right to left no matter which way you drive? It should be scrolling straight up the bonnet towards the driver, I always thought it looked wrong, to the point of distraction.

I d guess that was part of the track performance optimizations that were a part of this patch.

What do you mean "catastrophic outcome" ? Because I had again this bug too at Spa and my FFB went off after the impact, like before the patch. Had to unplug and replug, race wasted.

While I haven't seen any in around a year, there used to be landmines in random parts of the track (it tended to be curbs catching odd detection models for the car bodies --- resulting in a car stopping dead from full speed, or exploding/flying into the sky.

I don't know if that's what people are talking about.

While I haven't seen any in around a year, there used to be landmines in random parts of the track (it tended to be curbs catching odd detection models for the car bodies --- resulting in a car stopping dead from full speed, or exploding/flying into the sky.

I don't know if that's what people are talking about.
Yes exactly and sometime it's in the middle of the track (or near walls or some objects I guess) not only on curbs. And often after the impact FFB becomes very weak or inexistent.

What do you mean "catastrophic outcome" ? Because I had again this bug too at Spa and my FFB went off after the impact, like before the patch. Had to unplug and replug, race wasted.

"catastrophic outcome" Is when the car ends up smashing itself to pieces and upside down on the side of the track. It is a serious "WTF just happened" moment. And before anyone asks, yes I do have the video replay to prove it.

I have the loss of FFB problem a lot less with 2.0 but it has still occurred.

I d guess that was part of the track performance optimizations that were a part of this patch.

"track performance optimizations" hahahahahaaaaaa......................... ;-) That was very funny, a 10/10.

The sun looks particularly awful when viewed through one of those visor strip things at the top of the windscreen. Blocky indeed.

And regarding bonnet reflections, is it just me or does the reflection scroll across the bonnet right to left no matter which way you drive? It should be scrolling straight up the bonnet towards the driver, I always thought it looked wrong, to the point of distraction.

I am also distracted by the Moon phases, positioning and size. It just seems totally wrong to me and also very distracting.

Whoever worked on these visualisations just overthought all of it and ended up wasting his time. Note: I did use the generic "his" and if it was a woman all I can say is that I would have thought better of you ;-)

I am also distracted by the Moon phases, positioning and size. It just seems totally wrong to me and also very distracting.

Whoever worked on these visualisations just overthought all of it and ended up wasting his time. Note: I did use the generic "his" and if it was a woman all I can say is that I would have thought better of you ;-)
i don't do a lot of night racing so i'll take your word for it. i understand it must take a lot of work to correctly map the moon's positioning, but less so to make the sun actually round, almost ball-like, and not made out of squares.

"catastrophic outcome" Is when the car ends up smashing itself to pieces and upside down on the side of the track. It is a serious "WTF just happened" moment. And before anyone asks, yes I do have the video replay to prove it.

I have the loss of FFB problem a lot less with 2.0 but it has still occurred.
Like this :D
I leave the garage with no wheel ( 1) the car is already damaged (2) and than part 3 boem pattat :D

"track performance optimizations" hahahahahaaaaaa......................... ;-) That was very funny, a 10/10.

I dont get what your problem with my post is. They said that they worked on the tracks to get better performance in places that were heavy on the GPU before and Zolder was one of them. Its the most possible explanation for the change you found.

I dont get what your problem with my post is. They said that they worked on the tracks to get better performance in places that were heavy on the GPU before and Zolder was one of them. Its the most possible explanation for the change you found.

I don't have a problem with your post. I found it genuinely humourous. I report that a branch from a tree has blocked a braking marker at Zolder and you reply with "it is a track performance optimization". Don't you see why I find that funny?

I do not mean or infer any sleight on you or what you said and do apologise if I have offended you in any way. But I do reserve the right to a sense of humour ;-) And I honestly did think you were having a joke with me.

FLX are we square now?

I leave the garage with no wheel ( 1) the car is already damaged (2) and than part 3 boem pattat :D

Yep, just like that a typical "catastrophic outcome" that I have experienced ;-) A real life example of a WTF just happened :-(

Now that's catastrophic!
54616545.jpg

The people who are fixing track limits have they been on a racing game before?

EDIT: When's the next patch :D
I don't know if the problem is identifying the track boundaries or programming them in, but I would've thought the former would be fairly easy. Hopefully the latter is being worked on.

The people who are fixing track limits have they been on a racing game before?

EDIT: When's the next patch :D

Doug Arnao has indeed been on both a game and a race track before (competed in several seasons with Porsche). He knows his racing stuff and he defines the corridors, I m frankly at loss why track limit penalties are still working so poorly.

Doug Arnao has indeed been on both a game and a race track before (competed in several seasons with Porsche). He knows his racing stuff and he defines the corridors, I m frankly at loss why track limit penalties are still working so poorly.

It was a joke mate, but the track limits are also a joke, we have wall riding and track cutting on the leaderboard now!

It's piss poor mate

I know. I m just saying that its quite puzzling since Doug normally knows his stuff, both in games and on the track.

*shrugs*

Oh sven this is precious :D Post it in the SMS forum :D
I've already done this .
Have to look where to find it on the sms forum .
If I can't find it they removed the 3 in 1 package .
That is what happend to me last night when we had are race at Bruno .

Last edited:
Project CARS – PC Patch 2.5 – Release Notes

Game Crashes
We spent a lot of time working directly with a number of users who were struggling with game crashes, and resolved as many of these as we could. The various fixes in this patch should help a great deal in making the game more stable for those of you who were experiencing these instabilities.

Pitting, tuning, setups
* Fixed a case where the in-game tuning Setup was not being saved under certain conditions.
* Fixed the issue with cold and current tyre pressure mismatches in pitstop strategy, as well as cold pressure not being correctly applied in the tyre system.
* Ensure that the Default pitstop strategy is selected as the Active one when starting a new session.
* Fixed an issue where the wrong vehicle setup would at times be applied to the player’s current vehicle.
* Fixed another case of where cars would sometimes leave the pits with an invisible reattached wheel.
* Fixed an issue with the Pit Strategy screen where the displayed values did not reflect the saved settings.
* Fixed an issue in online races where the pit crew would ignore any changes made to the pit strategy once the player’s car was stationary in the pit box.
* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.
* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle.

* Fixed an issue where the Drive button would remain permanently locked when joining an in-progress session.
* Fixed an issue where, when the player progressed from qualifying to the start of the race, the player’s car would sometimes begin moving without player, resulting in false jump-starts.

Controls
* New Feature – Implemented the ability via menu sliders for the user to manually tweak the menu spring strength, stationary / low speed spring strength, and overall steering gain.
* New Feature – The Force Feedback Calibration screen now features a multiple force feedback profile selection whereby the user can select a base FFB style that suits personal preference, and then tweak it further as desired. This will then create a ‘Custom’ entry in the profile selection list in addition to the current options: "Default" (matches the FFB default settings in Patch 2.0) and "Classic” (matches the FFB settings in the original release).
* Fixed an issue with sudden loss of FFB after a crash.
* Reduced the strength of the menu spring for custom wheels.
* Fixed an issue where Mouse controls were showing a deadzone in the centre regardless of deadzone setting.
* Fixed an issue where rumble on the gamepad could at times cause the game to slow down.
* Added support and profiles for the Logitech G29 and G920 on PC
* Added accelerator slip vibration to the wheel rim of Fanatec wheels where available, and fixed brake rumble not working.

Vehicles
* Formula A – Added a new tire set which now includes two slick tires - soft and medium. Also rebalanced the heating and wear across all four tyre sets. Wear will now more closely match real-world Formula cars. Heating is more even front to rear also. Further rebalancing of the AI speed as was required, and tweaks to the base setup to accommodate the heat change.
* Modern street cars - New stiffer tyres for improved drivability to more closely match the real world experience, making these cars more fun and engaging to drive. Made tweaks to the individual setups of the FWD and most Supercars to accommodate the change.
* Mclaren P1 - Stiffened up the default suspension to help prevent bottoming out at tracks like Nordschliefe.

Good, gooooood! They're listening to us for sure. This patch will come to consoles soon as well I'm sure.

The new FFB options will please a lot of people, and the centre spring issue looks to have be worked on. Time will tell on that one.
Also pleased they're working on crashes and reliability. I hope this will also fix restarts that create issues for me, at the moment I'm nervous to restart a race as strange things happen to my wheel and even the audio afterwards.

We're slowly getting there.

Back