Penalty System Changes Are On The Way to GT Sport This Week

Between 2 cars out on the track, there needs to be Ghosting.
If you mean constant ghosting, you're wrong. GT tries to stay somewhat realistic, while making it fun at the same time. That is a solution that, chances are, will never be featured in a Gran Turismo ever. I don't mean to dismiss your attempt at a solution, but it just wouldn't work.

If you mean constant ghosting, you're wrong. GT tries to stay somewhat realistic, while making it fun at the same time. That is a solution that, chances are, will never be featured in a Gran Turismo ever. I don't mean to dismiss your attempt at a solution, but it just wouldn't work.
No not constant ghosting, only to stop players from ruining your race if a player want to take you out of the race. This is a racing game there is no racing stewards like in real life, so Ghosting should be placed in this game or there will be more player being rammed, and that is not fun is it.

Ok, did one race on NGP, mixed room DR.B to DR.D racing from the back. It was a very dirty room (all SR.S), I saw lots of contacts and got bumped plenty times in corners as well and got punted off once, finished 6th in the end. Only 4 red ratings in the result screen and only 5 people with a red dot. I got the clean race bonus for that race while getting ping ponged around. For a daily B I expected a lot more red ratings and interestingly it was all the DR.D players that had the red S.

So bumping is racing it is! (need bigger sample size, Tokyo next)

And it is as I feared. Sport mode made worse again, can't pass anymore on the straight. It's perfectly fine now to bump people into walls, first in the twist section then here twice on the straight:
QlSh7ds.gif
CtMirLQ.gif

Dirty blockers rejoice, this update is for you.
No penalties issued for any of the bump into wall contacts.

I got the fastest lap, yet passing, no longer possible.

Last edited:
Relax, calm down. Clean racing will still exist even after this update.

Your experience with this new penalty system will vary depending on who you’re racing against. Just like the past penalty systems, just like all future penalty systems. No surprises here.

For example; racing against someone who’s exploiting the system to block you will make you see the system as awful, but someone else racing against a clean player will like it more because the small bumps are now meaningless.

Just relax, keep racing and don’t let a dirty driver or two make you that angry, it’s just a game.

So to summarize: Godsend for clean racing, however is also exploitable?

Meanwhile business is usual with fault detection, 3 sec penalty and SR down for getting hit from behind.
dGEjtpA.gif

It seems people are already adapting as the lap 1 in the last race lap was a bump festival. At least no dirty blockers in that race. I'm not having high hopes for Brand's hatch tomorrow though...

Also the wall penalties seem more sensitive than ever. I got a delayed wall penalty in the last race, barely touched the wall after corner exit, only because the car wobbled slightly losing me time. Then a few seconds later a 5 sec penalty popped up. In previous races I saw people banging from wall to wall and scraping along with sparks flying and not get any penalties, weird.

Relax, calm down. Clean racing will still exist even after this update.

Your experience with this new penalty system will vary depending on who you’re racing against. Just like the past penalty systems, just like all future penalty systems. No surprises here.

For example; racing against someone who’s exploiting the system to block you will make you see the system as awful, but someone else racing against a clean player will like it more because the small bumps are now meaningless.

Just relax, keep racing and don’t let a dirty driver or two make you that angry, it’s just a game.

So to summarize: Godsend for clean racing, however is also exploitable?

Then what's the point of the penalty system! It's not needed for driving clean. It was fine in DR.B as I have experienced the past weeks. DR.A racing under the same rules as DR.B perfect. Eliminate penalties for bumping people into walls or off the road, terrible.

In DR.B slight bumps already did not lead to penalties as long as nobody ended up off road or into a wall. It was DR.A that had the sensitivity problems. It's seems this update is taking two steps instead of one, one step too far imo.

We'll see in the coming weeks how people adapt to it and whether SR.S will now be even easier to maintain.

Also the wall penalties seem more sensitive than ever.

I really dont get the point of the wall penalties. Have never been able to go faster in gts by touching a wall.. :indiff:

Seeing all the blocking now, i would like to say "i told you so.." for everyone whining about too harsh system before. If you raced clean it was good for you in the long run.. Now you are more dependent on how clean others are racing. Only way i see this working is by implementing penalties for multiple lane changes. That would require some pretty sophisticated algorithms..

Last edited:
WTF... so, Im A for SR... this guys bumps into me trying to nudge me iff the racing line on Nurburgring GP and I get a 10 second penalty..?!?! It wasnt even a hard nudge either. The guy just slightly nudged me. So is the penalty system bugged or what? Whats worse, that was my ONLY negative penalty.. and Im downgraded to B after the race? The penalty system is garbage now imho.

Other guys bumping hard on the track, shockingly not getting penalties at all!

Thanks everyone who watched my stream. Sorry the last race was uneventful at the end, I wasn't expecting a ten second penalty for bump drafting even after the race before getting a penalty for spinning out.

While you're correct super harsh zero contact penalties would be a fix, but it's absolute trash drivers that are the source of this issue that should probably move away from GTS and play Mario Kart instead.

Maybe I won't come back to Sport mode after all.

True. Just that im a realist who cant see that happen any time soon.. :lol:

No not constant ghosting, only to stop players from ruining your race if a player want to take you out of the race. This is a racing game there is no racing stewards like in real life, so Ghosting should be placed in this game or there will be more player being rammed, and that is not fun is it.

I couldn`t disagree more with you on that account , ghosting is a big part of what makes some people drive insane without regard to anyone else , and what you/me/everybody needs to do to avoid most people that drives like that is rating rating rating , get DR up to A+ (never been there sadly) and have your SR on S , that is the only way in my humble opinion :) Not saying your arn`t right , but more ghosting would make me stop driving GT Sport.....

So, another "fix" of the penalty system. I'm not holding my breath for this one. When I tested the last supposed fix, I got dive bombed two corners to finish (end of the high speed straight) on Mt. Panorama in 3rd place, spun for 5 seconds, tried to get out of the gravel another 5, then got reset, got 15 second penalty, finished last and got driver rating downgraded. The dude wasn't even braking, he just used me as an instant stop. Thanks, no thanks. I don't even want to go into people spinning you out for revenge because you dare to overtake them (cleanly). That's when I stopped playing online.

To state the obvious, why isn't PD working on AI judging? There is a ton of footage and decisions on collisions to train it on. Then let it loose on GTS with a person looking over it as a test and when the fairness level seems acceptable, all lobbies. You don't even need the PS4 processing power for that, it's all taking place on PD servers anyway.

On any given incident in F1, you can estimate very well how it will be judged. The car ahead always has the right to choose the line, unless it doesn't leave enough space for car behind and pushes it out. How are bumps from behind being penalized still a thing PD?!? Exception of course hard braking out of braking sections. It may not concern all incidents, but this covers at least 80%.

Penalties. Why would someone ever think twice about destruction derby style racing because of some seconds? You might be better off position wise even with a couple of seconds penalty when you do it, I'm sure gamblers love the odds :D Why not cut off the engine power for a second or two. You won't loose much, but fall behind the victim you just smashed and not gain any positions. Or even better, cut off the engine until the car who's race you just ruined gets back up to previous speed. That would make people think twice about getting a penalty.
And what's up with this penalty for leaving the track? Just differentiate. On the inside of the corner, sure why not? You shortened the track. On the outside of the corner? What the hell?!? Haven't I lost enough by understeering, losing speed, line, slowing down, getting back on track? And when I reemerge with lost time and positions, I get penalized to slow down again. How exactly does this help? Games 15 years ago could do this difference, jeeez...

Sorry mate, I’m just a bit of a smart arse. The photo shows a Subaru BRZ, ahead of a 911 GT3R. I know it’s not a 911 RSR, but with the right BoP you can see a Subaru out accelerate a 911 (or a Volkswagen, if a GT3/GT300 homologates model existed). That’s the whole point of GT3.

I mean, I get where you’re coming from, once again, I’m just a smart arse. I don’t particularly like the Gr. 4 Bugatti (mainly because it still features the standard road-going counterpart’s rear wing), or the Gr. 3 Volkswagens. But like I said, a clever BoP, which exists in real life GT racing, can make a wide variety of cars competitive - Super GT’s GT300 class is a great example with regular GT3 cars seen over the world racing head-to-head with Subaru BRZ’s, Toyota 86’s and Prius’.

I understand what you mean. But a GT3 is not a GTE, they are totally different race cars like you have written above. And the GT300 is also not the Gr. 3 class. Of course with BOP you can fit a lot of different cars into a class, without BOP a Bentley GT3 could never race against a Ferrari or a Porsche. But I never saw a race where a VW or a Subaru won against a Porsche on a race track maybe in Rally but not on a race Track. And thats the part why I think they should add real race classes like GT3/GT4.

I understand what you mean. But a GT3 is not a GTE, they are totally different race cars like you have written above. And the GT300 is also not the Gr. 3 class. Of course with BOP you can fit a lot of different cars into a class, without BOP a Bentley GT3 could never race against a Ferrari or a Porsche. But I never saw a race where a VW or a Subaru won against a Porsche on a race track maybe in Rally but not on a race Track. And thats the part why I think they should add real race classes like GT3/GT4.

Technically a Bentley is a VW

CJ

But I never saw a race where a VW or a Subaru won against a Porsche on a race track maybe in Rally but not on a race Track.
That's largely because they rarely enter the same races.

That said, several VW and Subaru models placed higher than some Porsche models at this year's Nurburgring 24h, and that was only a month ago.

That's largely because they rarely enter the same races.

That said, several VW and Subaru models placed higher than some Porsche models at this year's Nurburgring 24h, and that was only a month ago.

Of course a VW and a Porsche can participate in the same race...look VLN or 24 h. But they dont race against each other, its an endurance race with a lot of different classes and because of that every class has a winner like in LeMans. The top class is the GT3 class and they build the overall winner of the race. RACING can be complicated guys so dont tell me what I already know. But the Idea of 24 h or VLN has nothing to do with Gr. 3 in GTS.

I really dont get the point of the wall penalties. Have never been able to go faster in gts by touching a wall.. :indiff:

Seeing all the blocking now, i would like to say "i told you so.." for everyone whining about too harsh system before. If you raced clean it was good for you in the long run.. Now you are more dependent on how clean others are racing. Only way i see this working is by implementing penalties for multiple lane changes. That would require some pretty sophisticated algorithms..

Honestly, it doesn't matter what they do with penalties while SR S can be held by dirty drivers. I know I'm a broken record on this, but they shouldn't even be in the same races as clean drivers. It is possible, of course, that SR has been tweaked as well, but judging by Sven's report of only a few getting red S at the end of that race, it seems not enough. Everyone (both camps) harps on about the penalties, but SR is far more important to get right.

Of course a VW and a Porsche can participate in the same race...look VLN or 24 h. But they dont race against each other, its an endurance race with a lot of different classes and because of that every class has a winner like in LeMans. The top class is the GT3 class and they build the overall winner of the race. RACING can be complicated guys so dont tell me what I already know. But the Idea of 24 h or VLN has nothing to do with Gr. 3 in GTS.
I lost you at the point you're trying to make...

Back