PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Here's why this will never work, courtesy of @Outspacer
https://web.archive.org/web/20171129201508/http://www.minorating.com/Diary_1
Let me quote something this site says:

It's okay to complain about the penalty system; it's pretty bad and I complain about it as well. But the thing is, our ideas are 99% not as good as the developers' ideas. Let them do the work

I think there are several situations explained in braking penalties that I dont ever see happening in GTS. They need to quit penalizing the victim when someone gets rear ended, people who dont know, forget, or are not smart enough to know that they need to leave a little gap in braking zones deserve a huge penalty, this is something that happens far, far, too often. When the game can establish guilt in an accident instead of a time penalty how about they make it where the highest the guilty party can finish is 1 place behind the victim, IE: the highest a crasher can possibly finish is 1 place behind the lowest finishing car the offender hit. They do make position adjustments as cars cross the finish line with time penalties so you would think it would be possible. It would take away all incentive for those who operate their cars like its a wrecking ball if there is only something to lose and nothing to gain.

P.S. I think the penalty system was better a couple of updates before, back when the higher ranked driver did not get the higher penalty for contact. There are cases of contact that are all but impossible to avoid, like a car crossing the track in front of you after an off and the driver thinks he can just keep his foot on the gas and power out of the situation without losing any time. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Penalty or Not ? !! video 0:12 hit me
3. and 4. laps
Lol !!

I see that PD's fine penalty system is still running extremely well as noted by the flashing penalty sign (dunce cap) above the 1st place car. At the finish note that not only was a penalty actually not given but there appears to be no admission of it either. If I did my job like PD does I would be FIRED immediately !!!!!!!!!! Fantastic job Polyphony, keep up the great work !!!!!! What does PD have for us on the next update, time penalties for cleanly passing cars with a lower ranked driver?????

Something is wrong when I go into L1 T1 at Nurb GP track in 2nd place and the 9th place car forgets to brake and hits every car behind me including me and I end up with a 5 second penalty for hitting the wall. If PD cant distinguish who is at fault there instead of handing out penalties based on SR they are idiots.
YESSSSSSS!

I think the penalty system is:

View attachment 743493
This is my honest opinion CT:
Sorry - but it's all so unfair and unreal! Funny - it doesn't hurt racing in Sport Mode anymore. I never thought it would happen as I have raced every single day when not working but with this penalty system, I'm not interested in getting unfairly judged on my driving. That's it.

0000.jpg

This is my honest opinion CT:
Sorry - but it's all so unfair and unreal! Funny - it doesn't hurt racing in Sport Mode anymore. I never thought it would happen as I have raced every single day when not working but with this penalty system, I'm not interested in getting unfairly judged on my driving. That's it.

View attachment 743602

Obviously you and everyone else seems to know more than PD on how to implement penalties in the game. Shall I ask Kaz on twitter to tell all you know it all people here to take over what he has done for over 20 years?

If you hit the full speed in front of the car, you get a penalty of 4 or 5 seconds
If you drop the car next to you on the side you get 1 or 0 sec penalty
If you get one side of the wheel, you get a bit more (monza) for 6 seconds --- acceptable - no more than 1 second penalty !!
Imagine that this is how the drivers in formula 1 are punished in this way?

Looks like P13 is the one that Sven is avoiding, who then shoots forward and starts going normal pace next to P12. P12's game would've been predicting motion for some of that time, so if P13 was pointing towards him at any point it could maybe think he'd been hit.

Here is the full clip, it does seem he simply says goodbye I'm done

No lag involved, yet those karts do get a little loose on that downhill slope.

Here's what the game considers a clean race. I wasn't anywhere near clean in the first lap, had a bit of trouble getting into the rhythm in that one and skid into someone in T2 then punted another kart in T3. However it turned into my most fun race fighting for second place, changing positions many times.

Clean race bonus for that, hmm.

I guess in DR.B it evens out in the end. Get screwed one race, get away with murder the next.

Why is a time penalty and Sr down handed out for having an accident all by yourself? A few times I've spun out, hit a barrier but no other cars and received a penalty.

It costs time and money to repaint those walls and take care of the grass!

Obviously you and everyone else seems to know more than PD on how to implement penalties in the game. Shall I ask Kaz on twitter to tell all you know it all people here to take over what he has done for over 20 years?

I would think anyone would know that the server should be in charge of stewarding the race, not the clients telling fibs about who gets what penalty based on laggy information. At least the clients should exchange information and come to a compromise when there are 2 different versions to the story due to lag.

I've had it happen many times that:
- I get a penalty from a car hitting me, driver claims we never made contact on his end, movements of his cars suggest the same.
- Game says other driver got a penalty, flashing sign, they never received it.

First fix, communication!

Last edited:

Must say that regarding this specific issue, all that PD has ever done is basic and amateur... None of the previous GT series had any really meaning Penalizaton system... except for the most basic...

Must say that regarding this specific issue, all that PD has ever done is basic and amateur... None of the previous GT series had any really meaning Penalizaton system... except for the most basic...
Care to elaborate on basic and amateur?

P.S. I think the penalty system was better a couple of updates before, back when the higher ranked driver did not get the higher penalty for contact. There are cases of contact that are all but impossible to avoid, like a car crossing the track in front of you after an off and the driver thinks he can just keep his foot on the gas and power out of the situation without losing any time. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I also think the same. 1.13 penalties were the best for me

Here is the full clip, it does seem he simply says goodbye I'm done

No lag involved, yet those karts do get a little loose on that downhill slope.

I'm thinking it looks exactly like the game gave P12 a whack because of bad prediction of where P13 was. In this case, maybe because of lag from server to P12, since P13 doesn't look hugely erratic and maybe his speed could be explained in other ways.

I would think anyone would know that the server should be in charge of stewarding the race, not the clients telling fibs about who gets what penalty based on laggy information. At least the clients should exchange information and come to a compromise when there are 2 different versions to the story due to lag.

Absolutely. For a while I simply didn't believe it when people said they were calc'd on the clients! I guess there is a server in sport mode, but not in lobbies, so I suppose it wants to be able to work in both. Some way to arbitrate seems essential... certainly guessing what penalty the other car got gave itself is a ridiculous flim-flam!

I'm thinking it looks exactly like the game gave P12 a whack because of bad prediction of where P13 was. In this case, maybe because of lag from server to P12, since P13 doesn't look hugely erratic and maybe his speed could be explained in other ways.

If you look closely he starts skidding to the right first for just a moment. It seems he counter steers a bit to enthusiastically, or perhaps he suddenly remembered he left the stove on.

It could be an unfortunate lag spike on his end yet I've done that move as well yesterday without any help :banghead:

Care to elaborate on basic and amateur?
Basic... detect a colision.... an use that in the most basic way.... and on track bounderies violation detection not even that is well implemented... never was.. so lot´s of exploits on that way...
and the way penalties are taken by players.. that is the most ever basic way! ever!!! Also very basic the damage implementation during race!! ALL this very very amateurish and basic!!!!

To give an idae aof things that re missing... I surelly would need a lot of lines and time... and since you state that it´s a great work (PD´s).. you may say what have PD additionally implemented to what I.. basically listed... on this "field" ...

last race, interlagos i stopped for more than 20 sec to see why i had 49 sec penalty and then i saw that the game begin to increase my penalty time +3sec every 5 sec and did it until the end. it is not a piece of ****, it is complete **** this penalty system

Last edited:
last race, interlagos i stopped for more than 20 sec to see why i had 49 sec penalty and then i saw that the game begin to increase my penalty time +3sec every 5 sec and did it until the end. it is not a piece of ****, it is complete **** this penalty system
Should know the system. After 10 it goes up every second.

You have to stop in the middle of the road to serve a penalty, if you stop on the side or in the grass it still goes up, PD logic. It also doesn't go down when a yellow flag is active for reasons.

You have to stop in the middle of the road to serve a penalty, if you stop on the side or in the grass it still goes up, PD logic. It also doesn't go down when a yellow flag is active for reasons.
i was in the middle of the road, but it seems we get penalty for the penalty

Seriously. Had
Why is a time penalty and Sr down handed out for having an accident all by yourself? A few times I've spun out, hit a barrier but no other cars and received a penalty.

Had this again. Span out last corner interlagos. No other cars involved. 8 seconds worth of penalty. What the actual. I've already lost time!

I made the mistake of trying out the Ferrari at Tsukuba. I got hit on all but one lap, sometimes twice. Penalties out the wazoo. I ran them all down and still lost a whopping 32 SR points. I never went off course and never touched anyone, except when they hit me. Oh, and my DR went up 300 points.

Well now doesn't that make sense. :mad: Serves us all right for trying to be a considerate driver and not get in anyone's way. I've seen more folks carry penalties through to the end of the race these days than before the most recent penalty change.

I was on the verge of being Dr A & Sr S.
After less than 10 races at the weekend and constantly being hit from the side or punted from the rear and subsequently now racing with even worse drivers and being hit x10 than before, I am now D E!!! Wtf I even stayed at the black tonight to keep away and a straggler came past dived up inside smashing me out the way and guess what........

That's right I got the big orange bad boy Sr again.

This was **** in the beginning and that was understandable and it even seemed to progress and get better but after the last 2 big updates it's just got worse and is now in my opinion a TOTAL CROCK OF ****!!!

I certainly won't be playing this again as the guys I'm with now don't seem to care about the rank and just bump you out the way to win instead of racing! Took me long enough to nearly be A S and now it's ruined due to being rammed from behind and getting a penalty for it.
In what racing league etc does the guy getting rammed from behind ever receive a penalty?????
And when you crash alone or skid of by mistake and lose time off track and positions, they don't give you another penalty do they because you've just had it by loosing enough time crashing!!
THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR
MY ASS!!!!

Oh I've got plenty of video footage to put together very shortly to follow this ******** up aswell. Some on you tube already, potterp81 if you want to see.
Don't give up keep driving clean some tracks are worse than others.

Who on planet EARTH know or understand the penalty system today. NOT me - sorry! (Junk yard of a system!)
Yeah needs work, reckon it will be closer to being cracked with next update.

Yeah needs work, reckon it will be closer to being cracked with next update.
The Penalty system needs a heap of work. PD need to have a very serious look at the contact with other cars in Sport Mode races, the best approach is to bring in Ghosting and there is no other way around it.

I just wish there could be a perfect penalty system where if you rub someone without really effecting them there should be no penalty. Or if you are passing someone in a corner and they come across and hit you they get the penalty not you or both.

In a perfect penalty system brake checkers would be harshly dealt with and the game would know that someone was trying to give you a penalty so they could win. The game would recognize a bump pass where someone pushes you wide into a corner so they can pass you.

A perfect penalty system would recognize when someone leaves you a car width and when they don't. The difference between clean driving and dirty is so subtle I don't think this generation of gaming can handle it.

I just think some of the campaign school should have been devoted to how to be fare when getting passed not just passing.

I just wish there could be a perfect penalty system where if you rub someone without really effecting them there should be no penalty. Or if you are passing someone in a corner and they come across and hit you they get the penalty not you or both.

In a perfect penalty system brake checkers would be harshly dealt with and the game would know that someone was trying to give you a penalty so they could win. The game would recognize a bump pass where someone pushes you wide into a corner so they can pass you.

A perfect penalty system would recognize when someone leaves you a car width and when they don't. The difference between clean driving and dirty is so subtle I don't think this generation of gaming can handle it.

I just think some of the campaign school should have been devoted to how to be fare when getting passed not just passing.

The real problem is that there are so many idiots out there that have absolutely no idea that when they are behind someone approaching a brake zone they need to brake a little earlier, or that if you go into a corner side by side you need to take the corner a little slower, or that having their front bumper alongside your rear bumper does not constitute overlap that gives them any right to the apex. I believe some of that stems from PD making the game too easy using the DS4 and also unreal game physics. Cars just dont lose realistic speed when driving thru the grass or brushing a wall. With all of the brake and throttle "smoothing" and steering help even without aids in the DS4 there is nothing to separate the real good guys from guys that just know the track well and max velocities at various points around the track.When you watch replays some cars twitch so bad it almost makes you car sick just watching yet it doesnt affect speed, it makes it hard to get separation which keeps cars packed tightly together for more contact.

Back