PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Let me illustrate you an example which mostly ends up with a penalty. "A" and "B" drive side by side as they approach the corner. "B" defends the inside line as they hit the brake and "B" keeps the line during the turn, leaving room for "A". After they leave the apex a slight contact happens. The system instead of penalizing any of them, gives them a question: Does the driver (input driver name) deserves a penalty? If they both say no or they both say yes, then the race may continue and non of them get penalized. But what happens if they disagree? In that case, the system would do the judgement and give penalty to the one which it "thinks" was the responsible for activating the penalty. Why would that be a good thing or at least better than any of the penalty systems before?

You need a specific turn in your example.
But let’s assume this is a simple flat 90 degree turn onto a straight.
Car b has the inside, if there’s contact car A is an idiot, B has that inside, B simply needs to match A on braking, NOT sweep past, if B does it right there’s nothing A can do and if A presses and doesn’t relinquish and ends up in the sand it’s his own fault.
If he’s outside he should be penalized for contact.
B in my example had corner rights, there’s no reason to hug inside and leave space for A unless A nosed ahead and got an angle because B wasn’t fast enough, in that case B should leave space, but in the most basic form of this example if the outside car ends up offed it’s their mistake trying to force track space they had no right to.
Voting is a silly idea.
I stand by where they are going with the system, right now it still has some issues but it’s really good overall.
Don’t want pens?
Don’t hit.
I acknowledge issues still exist like cars not getting ghosted fast enough perpendicular to the track outta control or rejoining but corners wise it’s pretty darn good right now.
If you are in control you won’t have troubles, for the most part.
I’ve been doing A all week at high sr and it’s been fantastic 90 percent of the time dirty drivers get in, then in a race or two they are gone and you don’t see them again.
You look them up and they have no history of experience at 99.
That’s success in matchmaking imo.
Jmo but the whole mantra some people push this whole anytime a car is near you always leave space is a fantasy that’s not practiced in real racing at all.
In real racing depending on the car the etiquette about what’s dirty changes.
The track limits tho, I’ve no idea why that seems to be problematic in certain locations, it seems so simple to fix that imo that’s the biggest current flaw.

Last edited:
SERIOUSLY?
This is worthy of a track limits penalty for going off the circuit and gaining an advantage...

...yet this one, isn't

:confused:

Iam allmost speechless about that 2nd video , incredible you didnt get some kind of penalty for that - new way to gain some positions for free , awesome :)

My SR rating has dropped from S to C - including being hit in the rear by cars into T1 at spa at the start, being bit by cars returning dangerously after running off track, being hit in the rear as I drive off the racing line after I had been punted off.

Before this my SR has been at S level for over 100 days consecutively. I have not all of a sudden become a dirty driver - quite the opposite. I was trying to run extra clean in order to get it back up to SR S, but it was not possible.

I agree with the above post - it is very disheartening.

Last edited:
My SR rating has dropped from S to C - including being hit in the rear by cars into T1 at spa at the start, being bit by cars returning dangerously after running off track, being hit in the rear as I drive off the racing line after I had been punted off.

Before this my SR has been at S level for over 100 days consecutively. I have not all of a sudden become a dirty driver - quite the opposite. I was trying to run extra clean in order to get it back up to SR S, but it was not possible.

I agree with the above post - it is very disheartening.
At the moment SR rating is completely meaningless. The dirty drivers keep their blue S while the victims gets punished.

It's a simplistic system.

Holding SR S for 100 days effectively means nothing when it should. I think it's solid justification to show a driver is consistently clean and open a level of grace with (for example) a 50% less -SR reduction over a 3 strike race rule. At the moment, one bad race or two and you can easily find yourself in dumpster SR ratings and facing a potential DR reset.

On the reverse end of the spectrum, someone can farm SR back by running FIA or a few Race Cs and become dirty over and over again at SR S. You can recoup SR by driving slow/ghosted by simply staying on the track or you're rewarded by being dropped into a slower room where you can escape contact and other drivers. --This doesn't mean you're a clean driver, it means you understand how easily it can be got back and the system is making it so.

Last edited:
That is what I'm saying, this system of ratings and penalties absolutely makes no sense whatsoever, and whoever thought that this so-called system add any value to the game is, plain and simple, crazy, I mean people from developer and publisher, not players.

I can't guarantee this, of course, but it seems to me that this is the worst system I've ever seen in any game in my life, and I've seen some pretty crazy **** over the years.

Bottom line is, it's just ruins the game for many regular players, it adds nothing to the quality of the game, it's like they are punishing community for what ever reason, because I don't think it's possible that they can't see how stupid this is, it must be some other reason to put this crap in the game.

Mostly I'm talking about this last update of penalties, maybe a few months ago, before that it was somewhat tolerable.

Something strange happens when you climb up the ladder to the daily A/A to B/B races. To avoid a 71 point SR loss from punting and sideswiping you have to use your steering wheel properly...
gts.gif

Last edited:
Something strange happens when you climb up the ladder to the daily A/A to B/B races. To avoid a 71 point SR loss from punting and sideswiping you have to use your steering wheel properly...
View attachment 964494
I just did around 10 race C with the SF cars, most of the time I will just run wide in Turn 1 and come back on track after the sausage kerb like in F1, no track limits penalties, much safer.

I just did around 10 race C with the SF cars, most of the time I will just run wide in Turn 1 and come back on track after the sausage kerb like in F1, no track limits penalties, much safer.
I wish I knew how that worked. Got tapped wide there last race and still got the track limits penalty. Drive massively wide and get nothing. Same with the final turn. No real rhyme or reason to some of the track limits.

I wish I knew how that worked. Got tapped wide there last race and still got the track limits penalty. Drive massively wide and get nothing. Same with the final turn. No real rhyme or reason to some of the track limits.
I think they have changed the rules and included the runoff area in real life racing. If you went to the runoff area and rejoin at the right spot you are fine. Last week Race C, if you run wide going into the Les Combes chicane, you can do the F1 style rejoin as well to avoid penalties.
One of the cleanest race I had last night, top 8 are all in close pack and fought to the end, when I was entering T1 there was almost a three wide ahead. I had to avoid them by running wide and went back on after the sausage kerbs, perfectly fine and managed to overtake couple of guys down the straight with a better run, since then I try to do that whenever I sense danger in T1.

SERIOUSLY?
This is worthy of a track limits penalty for going off the circuit and gaining an advantage...

...yet this one, isn't

:confused:

I know this is a bit late but number 2 is allowed because of the car that hit you up the backside in the braking zone, once that happens you are usually free to ignore the corner completely (although you can never be 100% sure with this system), you can do this at Interlagos T1 too, even when setting a fastest lap in the process, I've done it and that was a long long time ago so I think it's always been like this.

Clip one is the usual stupid penalty stuff that everyone wishes was fixed and it never is.

:cheers::gtplanet:

Oh, I found out about the lax track limits system on Monday. I hauled it in hot & tried not to spin it out, so I went wide. So wide, that in a Gr. 3/4 car, it would have been a track limit penalty. But no penalty in the SF.

Oh, I found out about the lax track limits system on Monday. I hauled it in hot & tried not to spin it out, so I went wide. So wide, that in a Gr. 3/4 car, it would have been a track limit penalty. But no penalty in the SF.
I am finding out if you launch it way wide and come back after the yellow curb ends it doesnt seem to give you a penalty at least half the time. No idea how that works, but it has helped me escape a few turn 1 pile ups. Been caught in a few anyway, but sometimes it helps. Same happens final turn as well. Just get all 4 tires barely off the black and get a penalty, go massively wide and still not lose time, no penalty.

Do they even have a map of track limits for this place or is it like the RNG that produces track cuts at Le Sarthe?

That is what I'm saying, this system of ratings and penalties absolutely makes no sense whatsoever, and whoever thought that this so-called system add any value to the game is, plain and simple, crazy, I mean people from developer and publisher, not players.

I can't guarantee this, of course, but it seems to me that this is the worst system I've ever seen in any game in my life, and I've seen some pretty crazy **** over the years.

Bottom line is, it's just ruins the game for many regular players, it adds nothing to the quality of the game, it's like they are punishing community for what ever reason, because I don't think it's possible that they can't see how stupid this is, it must be some other reason to put this crap in the game.

Mostly I'm talking about this last update of penalties, maybe a few months ago, before that it was somewhat tolerable.

The Sardegna daily race (race B) this week has really laid bare the massive problems with the penalty system. It's a fairly technical track, with lots of opportunities for chain reactions. The algorithm just can't cope with it. My SR went quickly from S to D (!), and once you get down in that B, C, D netherworld, you had better stay very far ahead or far behind, because your SR will not recover, no matter how carefully you drive.

Oh, and BTW: Polyphony does not give a rat's a$$ about this. They really don't even try anymore.

It seems crazy to me that there isn't something in the penalty system code that says the car getting knocked off the track isn't the one who should be penalized. :grumpy:

Same with getting knocked into a track limit penalty. It should be pretty simple to put a condition into the code that if contact pushes someone off track or past the track limit that no penalty should be assessed. I haven't coded for ages but even I could write that.

I just gave another shot after a bunch of weeks and the game(rs) get worse every single time I try sport mode again.

I've tried race C and got punted 3 times in a row while giving room at all times. I used to share the opinion of allowing rubbing but now I'm all or none: there should be shared penalties for every single contact.

Btw I have a stronger position now of not getting near GT7 until we're assured that PD get this 🤬 together both for a decent structured challenging career mode and sport mode otherwise I'm sticking with Grid Autosport on my PS3.

Last edited:
Why do they not do anything about it ?

PD are probably done making changes with GT7 on the horizon, it's months since an update. Imagine the reaction of people if the same system is migrated over to GT7, lol.

Although I wondered if rear contact impact severity for triggering SR Down was changed recently. I've made light and feint taps to cars from behind without SR Down when a few weeks ago, I did get them. I do get SR Down with more force. Maybe it's me but something I noticed.

Side contact remains problematic among issues since launch. Very far and wide from what I'd call a final revision. What I haven't liked with the current system is punishing rear cars for incidents created by front drivers like braking suddenly and losing control of their car with no time to react. Pretty sure stewards would punish the lead car for dangerous driving and causing the incident in the first place.

PD are probably done making changes with GT7 on the horizon, it's months since an update. Imagine the reaction of people if the same system is migrated over to GT7, lol.

Although I wondered if rear contact impact severity for triggering SR Down was changed recently. I've made light and feint taps to cars from behind without SR Down when a few weeks ago, I did get them. I do get SR Down with more force. Maybe it's me but something I noticed.

Side contact remains problematic among issues since launch. Very far and wide from what I'd call a final revision. What I haven't liked with the current system is punishing rear cars for incidents created by front drivers like braking suddenly and losing control of their car with no time to react. Pretty sure stewards would punish the lead car for dangerous driving and causing the incident in the first place.

I've gotten SR downs for light taps to the rear bumper as recently as last night. Sometimes I think they've tinkered with it then I have nights like last night. It's still a mess that makes no sense and honestly, seems inconsistent, as well.

Back