PlayStation 5 Rumors Latest: Console Reveal Within the Next Six Weeks

It's a 4chan rumour and unlikely imo. Using 16-18GB of RAM + 4GB DDR4 would be dumb.

Actually, it wouldn't be dumb at all. As it stands, anywhere from 2-4 gigs are unavailable to developers anyway because that's reserved for the OS. Having separate memory dies, DDR4 in this case, would resolve the issue of having to reserve a small chunk of the much faster GDDR6 for tasks that, quite frankly, it has no business being burdened with.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if both Sony and Microsoft take the same approach and leverage the separate dies (assuming it's true, of course) with the SSD to make a RAMDisk partition specifically for the OS.

The downside is that's extra silicon and that expense would be passed onto us.

Actually, it wouldn't be dumb at all. As it stands, anywhere from 2-4 gigs are unavailable to developers anyway because that's reserved for the OS. Having separate memory dies, DDR4 in this case, would resolve the issue of having to reserve a small chunk of the much faster GDDR6 for tasks that, quite frankly, it has no business being burdened with.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if both Sony and Microsoft take the same approach and leverage the separate dies (assuming it's true, of course) with the SSD to make a RAMDisk partition specifically for the OS.

That's what i was thinking and even surprised they wasted around 3g of fast expensive ddr for the os on the ps4.

Also 9tf seems kinda low considering thexbox x is at 6 plus already. I know it's a new design and faster in comparison, maybe up to 50% faster ideally but it looks bad for Sony to be so low if was true. This last leak makes more sense to me, well at least feels better lol.

That's what i was thinking and even surprised they wasted around 3g of fast expensive ddr for the os on the ps4.

Also 9tf seems kinda low considering thexbox x is at 6 plus already. I know it's a new design and faster in comparison, maybe up to 50% faster ideally but it looks bad for Sony to be so low if was true. This last leak makes more sense to me, well at least feels better lol.

Well like you said: 9TF RDNA (PS5) ≠ 6TF GCN (XBOX) so it wouldn't be anything to worry about.

The art of Nerd-Fu. Would you care to care to sign up for next semester? :P

If you were looking for an actual explanation, I can do that.
Even still, i remember a couple years ago reading about 30TF being in the realm of possibilities for next gen lol.
Well in GCN old performance scale at least.
So like 18TF or more in the new RDNA design.
Maybe later on if there is to be a pro ps5. I might just wait and see for while.

Don't know if it'll be related but PlayStation pulled out of Pax-east in fear of COVID-19

You are right. I just think the downside isn't worth it for them and the cost of the consoles will be high as it is.

Don't forget, Sony and MS talked about using virtual ram for games. Obviously this isn't an replacement to real RAM, since SSD are much slower than RAM, but it can help to mitigate the fact that ram seems to get the worst upgrade respectively. 8/12GB to 16GB according to rumours.

You also have to remember in the consoles living room pleasing wife approved small decor factor that component cooling can get very problematic. Look at the cooling solutions for most of the top shelf PC video cards and then the size of the cooling heat sinks for the faster PC cpu's and how many fans that are utilized in most systems if they are not using a water cooled solution.

The more powerful the system and the more its components are pushed to the max the bigger problem is going to keeping the temps at a low enough level that the unit will survive a reasonable life span.

Noooo
Too difficult for my simple brain.

No need, I probably wouldn't understand it. But if you can't resist, by all means, try to enlighten me.

There's really nothing to it. Peak theoretical bandwidth, that is sending information back and forth, assumes every single component is working at 100% capacity, 100% of the time. Which will never happen in day-to-day operation, no matter how long you play a game, or how much the game engine stresses the hardware.

RDNA and GCN are just the names of AMD's architecture of video cards; RDNA stands for Radeon DNA, and GCN is Graphics Core Next. This is an example of the former: https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r...=5700 XT&cm_re=5700_XT-_-14-137-432-_-Product and the latter: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...vega_56-_-14-930-006-_-Product&quicklink=true

RDNA = Current generation; will be used in the Xbox Series X and PS5
GCN = Last generation; used in the Xbox One/One X, PS4/PS4 Pro

You are right. I just think the downside isn't worth it for them and the cost of the consoles will be high as it is.

Don't forget, Sony and MS talked about using virtual ram for games. Obviously this isn't an replacement to real RAM, since SSD are much slower than RAM, but it can help to mitigate the fact that ram seems to get the worst upgrade respectively. 8/12GB to 16GB according to rumours.

I wish we'd get something concrete already. Theorizing is fun and all, but I'd like actual specs to sink my teeth into. :lol:

RDNA and GCN are just the names of AMD's architecture of video cards; RDNA stands for Radeon DNA, and GCN is Graphics Core Next. This is an example of the former: https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r...=5700 XT&cm_re=5700_XT-_-14-137-432-_-Product and the latter: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...vega_56-_-14-930-006-_-Product&quicklink=true
Just out of curiosity I looked up the power draw for the AMD card as they are known for being power hungry. The vega 56 seems to draw an average of 182 watts and a peak 202 watts.
That would put it roughly in the performance range of a GTX 1070 but drawing a fair bit more power than what a 1070 requires..
I am really wondering if these consoles are going to be as strong performance wise as being suggested and if so how are they going to control the heat and what type of power draw is the whole system going to have?

Just out of curiosity I looked up the power draw for the AMD card as they are known for being power hungry. The vega 56 seems to draw an average of 182 watts and a peak 202 watts.
That would put it roughly in the performance range of a GTX 1070 but drawing a fair bit more power than what a 1070 requires..
I am really wondering if these consoles are going to be as strong performance wise as being suggested and if so how are they going to control the heat and what type of power draw is the whole system going to have?

All of that can be kept in check with clock speeds. RDNA is already more power efficient than GCN, and you have to keep in mind that this is custom silicon so there isn't going to be a 1:1 comparison. The system could draw less than 400W max, or it could draw over 500W. Cooling won't be too much of an issue with the Series X and its enclosure caters to the fact that heat rises. Remains to be seen what the PS5 looks like, though with both (and I'm guessing here) using vapor chamber cooling there's nothing to really worry about outside of noise.

The fans will be noisy, there's just no two ways about that.

I really don't mind a higher price, what's a 100$ or 200 more for something you could use for 10 years almost. It's nothing over that time, 10 or 20 box a year for something that will give you improving software products over time too, especially with what people spend each year or 2 on tech gadgets, cells and so many smaller wasted expenses even each month.

And consider that devs focus on the bottom denominator, i hope it's as high as possible.

Also i wish they'd give an option for much higher storage, 4tb or more, without needing subsequent shopping.

I really don't mind a higher price, what's a 100$ or 200 more for something you could use for 10 years almost.
Yeah, you may not mind that but other people do. And for the last part, don't you think it's one reason why PCs are also popular?

Yeah, you may not mind that but other people do. And for the last part, don't you think it's one reason why PCs are also popular?
You mean about storage, and further upgrades? Well i did that for my ps4 but i wish they would just give us the possibilities on the original purchase.

At least i don't have to upgrade anything else and games keep getting better on the same base console .

You mean about storage, and further upgrades? Well i did that for my ps4 but i wish they would just give us the possibilities on the original purchase.

At least i don't have to upgrade anything else and games keep getting better on the same base console .
No, I mean in keeping something for 10 years but yeah. That's the main drawback of having a PC, replacing parts after years passed by.

So there has been some rumors going around.

Price of PS5 is rumored to be $499, (Based on $470 in hardware)
However from the chief financial officer has said they haven't shown the price because they are waiting for Xbox to show their hand first.

So either it'll be PS5 at 499 and Xbox X for 399 or maybe it'll be the other way around.

Until we know officially it's all speculation depending on what Xbox decides to do first.

Still pretty cheap @TJ13 ps1 and sega saturn were about that price back in 1994-95 when I bought mine...

Wonder if people will be holding out for a ps5 pro, think i may , but who knows..:)

The specs revealed of MS are pretty vague to say the least. Will be fun to see digital foundry analyze the new gen hardware. Although it's the devs that really can show the possibilities for years to come of course.

That's the main drawback of having a PC, replacing parts after years passed by.
I'd say that's more of an advantage than a disadvantage - you get the option of keeping your hardware up to date if you want to, whereas with a console, you're stuck with the hardware that you purchase.

Not trying to turn this into a PC vs console debate, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I'd say that's more of an advantage than a disadvantage - you get the option of keeping your hardware up to date if you want to, whereas with a console, you're stuck with the hardware that you purchase.

Not trying to turn this into a PC vs console debate, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Well, some people think it is while some people don't.

Then again, the only reason why I mentioned PC is because they are also common and popular for gaming, aside from being a versatile equipment for other stuff and such.

Well, some people think it is while some people don't.

Then again, the only reason why I mentioned PC is because they are also common and popular for gaming, aside from being a versatile equipment for other stuff and such.
Nothing forces you to upgrade a PC. It is a choice you make.

No, I mean in keeping something for 10 years but yeah. That's the main drawback of having a PC, replacing parts after years passed by.
You didn't imply it. You outright said it. Unless you meant something else?

Back