Political Correctness

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 2,890 comments
@Danoff Out of curiosity, what, if any, criticism of Ayn Rand can you speak of?

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. You want me to just go off on Ayn Rand?

I mean, there is the deep sexism, her complete philosophical avoidance of children in her treatment of rights, her near-but-not-right interpretation of the conditional approach to Hume's guillotine... I don't know if she's racist but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest...

Is that what you had in mind?

Last edited:
I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. You want me to just go off on Ayn Rand?

I mean, there is the deep sexism, her complete philosophical avoidance of children in her treatment of rights, her near-but-not-right interpretation of the conditional approach to Hume's guillotine... I don't know if she's racist but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest...

Is that what you had in mind?

Nothing in mind, I don't know a lot about her. I just wanted to know what you thought about it.

Nothing in mind, I don't know a lot about her. I just wanted to know what you thought about it.

I think that she's right about property rights and human rights in general when it comes to native Americans, though not necessarily for particular instances. The Pueblo Tribe for example obviously doesn't fit that description. I also think that she was picking at the right spot when it comes to the philosophical solution to Hume's Guillotine, she just reached a little farther than she needed to.

Visionary woman who had a powerful understanding of philosophy and love of the human condition in a very deep sense... but also a flawed individual with some major issues.

Last edited:
Teen Vogue's Alexi McCammond called out for "past racist and homophobic tweets"

I mean notwithstanding "Disney fires director of billion dollar franchise for a joke he told half a decade before they hired him in the first place" level laughable overreactions, is the desired
Woke Twitter endgame for people who did something a decade ago when they were teenagers for them to never be employed anywhere?
I find situations like this interesting specifically when they come up because there's functionally an entire generation of people who were open books and idiots on social media in high school (I think Generation Z are better at hiding it, but I strongly doubt they are actually any better in behavior when teenagers) who are of age to enter professional level fields now who are being pilloried for stuff they said years ago as teenagers.
And she's gone.

Yea that seems pretty rough. She was what... 16 when she made those comments?

I don't know, it seems a double-standard, we're happy to prosecute adults who were groomed as underage teens by terrorists, why can't we give them the same accountability on Twitter? If we're in favour of personal rights and we make 16 an age of responsibility... do we give responsibility for speech differently from responsibility for actions?

As it happens I agree with you but there's a weird societal imbalance in this area, imo. As if there was ever anything else anywhere in society.

I don't know, it seems a double-standard, we're happy to prosecute adults who were groomed as underage teens by terrorists, why can't we give them the same accountability on Twitter? If we're in favour of personal rights and we make 16 an age of responsibility... do we give responsibility for speech differently from responsibility for actions?

As it happens I agree with you but there's a weird societal imbalance in this area, imo. As if there was ever anything else anywhere in society.

Gotta draw the line somewhere. At some point we say it's up to you to overcome your flawed upbringing.

I found myself thinking recently about how the term miscarriage implies fault of the would-be mother, and that it's not a great term. I'm not surprised to be able to dig up an article explaining exactly that. The article suggests "pregnancy loss" over miscarriage, which I think is a fair suggestion (it seems better to me than some alternatives like "non-viable"). The etymology suggests that "miscarry" is a relatively old term, meaning from back in the days when we used to blame women for giving birth to too many daughters instead of sons, or for being "barren".

Edit:

It actually makes me think a bit about the term "abortion" which implies that pregnancy would otherwise successfully result in a healthy birth - which is not necessarily the case. In fertility treatments they use the term "selective reduction" to talk about eliminating multiples from a pregnancy. So for example, perhaps you choose to transfer 4 viable embryos from in-vitro fertilization to hopefully obtain a single implantation and subsequent pregnancy. Occasionally that results in 4 implantations and potential quadruplets. Would-be parents often have the option to "selectively reduce" down to, say twins, effectively aborting 2 of the embryos. But abortion suggests that they were going to make it, and that their path was "aborted". In many cases, giving birth to quadruplets means significant risk of death for everyone involved, the mother and all 4 fetuses. If not death, sometimes dramatic health consequences from premature delivery. "Selective reduction" seems like a more appropriate term than "abortion" in such an example, because it could be enabling success where none would have been possible otherwise.

I suppose that makes abortion intentional pregnancy loss. Maybe selective pregnancy loss. I suppose just "terminated pregnancy" would also suffice.

Last edited:
I found myself thinking recently about how the term miscarriage implies fault of the would-be mother, and that it's not a great term. I'm not surprised to be able to dig up an article explaining exactly that. The article suggests "pregnancy loss" over miscarriage, which I think is a fair suggestion (it seems better to me than some alternatives like "non-viable"). The etymology suggests that "miscarry" is a relatively old term, meaning from back in the days when we used to blame women for giving birth to too many daughters instead of sons, or for being "barren".

Now that COVID is winding down, I'm getting back to doing the normal stuff I do for work. Currently, I'm working with our maternal-fetal medicine clinic and one of the things that have come up is how to schedule women for follow-up when they miscarry. We have no idea how to phrase it appropriately since the type of visit you need is dependant on when you had your miscarriage.

I've suggested fetal demise, but that's apparently for incidents that happen after 20 weeks, whereas miscarriages are before 20 weeks. I've also suggested using the medical terminology of spontaneous abortion, which didn't go over too well given the makeup of Utah's population. Apparently, "abortion" is a faux pas, even if it's medically relevant. Honestly, when it comes to healthcare, I'd rather healthcare organizations stick to accepted medical terminology as much as possible but I get it's not always patient friendly.

Miscarriage is a funny word because it applies to either a pregnancy that doesn't work out or a judicial case that turns out to be wrong. Quite the dichotomy in situations, in a way.

Now that COVID is winding down, I'm getting back to doing the normal stuff I do for work. Currently, I'm working with our maternal-fetal medicine clinic and one of the things that have come up is how to schedule women for follow-up when they miscarry. We have no idea how to phrase it appropriately since the type of visit you need is dependant on when you had your miscarriage.

I've suggested fetal demise, but that's apparently for incidents that happen after 20 weeks, whereas miscarriages are before 20 weeks. I've also suggested using the medical terminology of spontaneous abortion, which didn't go over too well given the makeup of Utah's population. Apparently, "abortion" is a faux pas, even if it's medically relevant. Honestly, when it comes to healthcare, I'd rather healthcare organizations stick to accepted medical terminology as much as possible but I get it's not always patient friendly.

This opinion kinda dances around all of your terms while using the word "pregnancy loss" and "spontaneous pregnancy loss" and "early pregnancy loss" without actually advocating that other people use them. However, those phrases seem to work just fine to describe the intended meaning, and sit better than any of the other suggestions, at least with me.

Similar sentiment here.

Last edited:

Edit:

It actually makes me think a bit about the term "abortion" which implies that pregnancy would otherwise successfully result in a healthy birth - which is not necessarily the case. In fertility treatments they use the term "selective reduction" to talk about eliminating multiples from a pregnancy. So for example, perhaps you choose to transfer 4 viable embryos from in-vitro fertilization to hopefully obtain a single implantation and subsequent pregnancy. Occasionally that results in 4 implantations and potential quadruplets. Would-be parents often have the option to "selectively reduce" down to, say twins, effectively aborting 2 of the embryos. But abortion suggests that they were going to make it, and that their path was "aborted". In many cases, giving birth to quadruplets means significant risk of death for everyone involved, the mother and all 4 fetuses. If not death, sometimes dramatic health consequences from premature delivery. "Selective reduction" seems like a more appropriate term than "abortion" in such an example, because it could be enabling success where none would have been possible otherwise.

I suppose that makes abortion intentional pregnancy loss. Maybe selective pregnancy loss. I suppose just "terminated pregnancy" would also suffice.
In medical terms (in the UK at least) it is usually referred to as a TOP (termination of pregnancy)

Last edited:
AAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know where to put this. As "cancel culture" has been linked to "political correctness" (BOO!), and has even been referred to as "political correctness on steroids" (it's probably more nebulous as an invocation at this point), I figured this was as good a place as any.

Last edited:
Baffert is like the Russia of horse trainers. Over the past 30-ish years, he's had over 30 horses fail drug tests including Triple Crown winner Justify in 2018. I 100% believe Medina Spirit was "doped" before the race. Horse racing is incredibly regulated and if Medina Spirit was found to have an illicit substance, I'm going to go ahead and believe the lab at Churchhill Downs.

For some reason, Trump even chimed in: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk/desk-8pttbep59x/

Tomorrow's (ooh aah) Daily Star. Health and safety scuppers Dunkirk. Gone mad it is.

_118467475_star1205.jpg

AAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know where to put this. As "cancel culture" has been linked to "political correctness" (BOO!), and has even been referred to as "political correctness on steroids" (it's probably more nebulous as an invocation at this point), I figured this was as good a place as any.

Now Baffert has admitted that he treated Medina Spirit with an ointment that contained the banned substance. So now all of his "cancel culture" ******** has gone flying out the window, I'm guessing Trump will now say that Baffert was forced into saying that by the liberal media and that he actually didn't treat the horse with a banned substance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-baffer...t-that-contained-betamethasone-164337062.html

Now Baffert has admitted that he treated Medina Spirit with an ointment that contained the banned substance. So now all of his "cancel culture" ******** has gone flying out the window, I'm guessing Trump will now say that Baffert was forced into saying that by the liberal media and that he actually didn't treat the horse with a banned substance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-baffer...t-that-contained-betamethasone-164337062.html
Nah, he'll throw him under the bus and move onto to the next fake target. It's the Gish gallop (with, I guess, added actual galloping in Medina Spirit's case).

Back