[POLL] GT6 Drifting: Do you like it, or not?

• Thread starter JDM SRE70
  • 235 comments

GT6 Drifting do you like it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My view on Assetto Corsa vs GT5/6 is this....

I see MANY people who are SERIOUSLY good on AC.
I see not so many people who are SERIOUSLY good in GT6 yet.

Why are these people who are so good in AC not out drifting real cars if it is so accurate?
Has there been a generally proven correlation between talent in GT5/6 and talent in real life?

I agree AC is an amazing sim, but it is still too easy compared to real life. Real life is just as difficult as GT6, if not more-so.

The more I play GT6, the more I recognize my mistakes as resulting in the same vehicle behaviour as in real life. I like AC for racing, but for drifting, GT6 will make you a better driver in the long run.

Buy me a car,pay for my mods and maintain it for me,I would love nothing more than to drift IRL but I'm sure most of us who know about drifting IRL know how much time and money you must put into owning a drift car that is actually decent.

Even if the physics of GT6 or the popular PC drifting games don't compare to real life physics we still have an idea of how to drift and how the car reacts,even Forza's physics will give you an idea of how cars handle IRL.I'm sure that the people who play games like this will still have to learn and adjust to how real cars drift and how it feels while drifting and transitioning (which will really throw you off) I'm sure we will have a much easier time then people who are getting into drifting knowing nothing.

Buy me a car,pay for my mods and maintain it for me,I would love nothing more than to drift IRL but I'm sure most of us who know about drifting IRL know how much time and money you must put into owning a drift car that is actually decent.

Even if the physics of GT6 or the popular PC drifting games don't compare to real life physics we still have an idea of how to drift and how the car reacts,even Forza's physics will give you an idea of how cars handle IRL.I'm sure that the people who play games like this will still have to learn and adjust to how real cars drift and how it feels while drifting and transitioning (which will really throw you off) I'm sure we will have a much easier time then people who are getting into drifting knowing nothing.
]

When I had my R33 gtst and first got into drifting it was costing me close to $1000 a weekend just to dabble in drifting.
Tires, track fees, maintenance on my car, accommodation as the nearest track at the time was over 2 hrs away, fuel just to name a few it really hurts the bank. It really is something you have to be so dedicated to. Any ways I had kids and got married and now sims satisfy my need to drift for the last 8 years:lol:. I miss those days but hey that's life.

Why are these people who are so good in AC not out drifting real cars if it is so accurate?
Has there been a generally proven correlation between talent in GT5/6 and talent in real life?

not everybody can afford to drift in real life.

I agree AC is an amazing sim, but it is still too easy compared to real life. Real life is just as difficult as GT6, if not more-so.

The more I play GT6, the more I recognize my mistakes as resulting in the same vehicle behaviour as in real life. I like AC for racing, but for drifting, GT6 will make you a better driver in the long run.

must be playing a different GT6 then me because it sure is harder for me to drift in it then it is in real life, drifting isn't hard, sims like AC and live for speed are easier to drift in because they are more realistic.

I have to change my driving for the worse to be able to do good drifts in GT6, in AC and LFS I don't have to do that at all, I drive the same as I do irl.

Tire simulation seems off. I tried the game on a DFGT, and it is very difficult to rescue a slide. Also, why does the Focus ST understeer so much! I can't recreate the awesome lift off oversteer it has in real life. In GT6, lifting off just makes it neutral steer.

Because it's FF........
I am aware of that, but you still dodged the latter part of my post. Are you implying all FF cars have terminal understeer? The ST was DESIGNED to oversteer, and it is a trait that has made the car desirable. It has a stiff rear anti roll bar and it brakes the inside rear wheel to induce yaw! In fact, no FF car in GT6 has lift off oversteer.

That's why we have a fleet of cars ready for our customers to use ;)

Indeed all good games do help. My friend who learned to drift on Forza with a pad is now a very accomplished real world drifter, and he manages perfectly fine with a 2.5 litre NA 200bhp R32 :) It's not all about money. I could get you a 200-250bhp drift car for the price of a PS3/GT6/Wheel/Pod setup :)

not everybody can afford to drift in real life.
See above :) But my main point was, NO top level drift drivers that I am aware of practice on AC, which isn't the case with the GT-series :)

must be playing a different GT6 then me because it sure is harder for me to drift in it then it is in real life, drifting isn't hard, sims like AC and live for speed are easier to drift in because they are more realistic.

I have to change my driving for the worse to be able to do good drifts in GT6, in AC and LFS I don't have to do that at all, I drive the same as I do irl.
You are talking about apples and oranges. Drifting a 300bhp s-body or similar at 50-60mph is not the same as drifting a full on comp spec car at 100mph+. If you think it's easy, try and then get back to me ;)

All the people saying that drifting in real life is easy have never tried to drive in real life the way we are drifting in GT6. :)

Last edited:
That's why we have a fleet of cars ready for our customers to use ;)

Indeed all good games do help. My friend who learned to drift on Forza with a pad is now a very accomplished real world drifter, and he manages perfectly fine with a 2.5 litre NA 200bhp R32 :) It's not all about money. I could get you a 200-250bhp drift car for the price of a PS3/GT6/Wheel/Pod setup :)

Then it all comes down to who you know,most drifters I know who drift real cars don't have connections like that so it comes down to money for them,but I'm glad that there're opportunities out there to get great cars for cheap.

Just because it is harder doesn't make it more accurate (same vice versa).

AC is by far better in pretty much every form of realism than GT6 (and AC is still in beta which says a lot).

Just the clutch model makes that game better than GT6.

One of the reasons it seems easier to drift in AC is because of their PROPER drift mode. Pretty much every car in AC when in drift mode has added degrees of steering (real life modification called steering knuckles), which pretty much every real life drift car has too. Just shows the added realism that AC offers. GT can't even be compared in the same category as AC

In a ending result I highly disagree with your statement that GT6 will make you a better drifter "just because it is harder".

See above :) But my main point was, NO top level drift drivers that I am aware of practice on AC, which isn't the case with the GT-series :)

GT6 is more mainstream then games like AC, pretty much anybody you would that is into cars knows about GT, also I know top level drifters from Australia who play GT6, doesn't mean its the most realistic, just means its fun.

go pull the handbrake in GT6, it has a delay, please explain to me how you can learn from GT6 when it can't even get the most basic thing right, the clutch is another issue, you have to drive different to adjust for the issues this game has.

Luke Fink used Live for speed to practice, same with some other top drifters from Australia, AC feels very similar to LFS because they both feel close to real life.

You are talking about apples and oranges. Drifting a 300bhp s-body or similar at 50-60mph is not the same as drifting a full on comp spec car at 100mph+. If you think it's easy, try and then get back to me ;)

All the people saying that drifting in real life is easy have never tried to drive in real life the way we are drifting in GT6. :)

drifting around corners isn't hard, pushing the limits of yourself and the car is when it becomes hard, doing the most basic drifts in GT6 is much harder then in real life.

Yes, I do like the drifting physics. It feels even easier to drift a 1,300 HP Veyron and an old Fiat 500 now! As for the Peugeot 908, I didn't notice much of a difference from GT5. :D
It's still twitchy as hell, but manageable and extremely fun to drive.

(Pictures coming soon to the Show Your Drift Cars thread)

agree . i guarantee you that 90% or the people on this thread, that actually have the balls to go out and drift IRL simply ether cant afford too, or have no clue how to work on a car. let alone mod or tune. i am a true gearhead, i grew up building prostreet dragsters. i got into drifting a rx8 i built for drifting .and i can honestly say that it does so much damage to the cars it gets ridiculous. Drifting in real life is fun, but unless your a pro in the D1 circuit or doing it for films. YOU WILL GO BROKE. because if you compete at the amateur level, and if your lucky enough to get a podium finish, the prize money will barley cover the cost of the tires and gas you used that weekend. and hopefully you didnt wreck or break anything. so i guess is that a good explanation on why people drift on gt6 (a video game) rather then in real life? but ido have to agree the gt6 is the most realistic racing i have played. tho there are a few cars that i have owned in real life that handled differently then in gt6.

A rx8 for instance due to the rotory engine, has a lag of power from idle to about 3200 rpms.(stock version ) that i dont get in gt6. also a 66 shelby dont have that bad of understeer like in the game. these are a few references on cars i have drove ,both in the game and real life

I am aware of that, but you still dodged the latter part of my post. Are you implying all FF cars have terminal understeer? The ST was DESIGNED to oversteer, and it is a trait that has made the car desirable. It has a stiff rear anti roll bar and it brakes the inside rear wheel to induce yaw! In fact, no FF car in GT6 has lift off oversteer.

I sware the Alfa Mito does...use it too good effect too...

I had high hopes for this game...

Drifting is good and more realistic, however I find the game very, VERY boring. I feel like I'm playing GT5 with an update. I never thought I'd regret buying the AE version of GT6. What a waste of my money. It is like GT6 prologue or GT5.5

Saying this as a leader of a drift team isn't so easy. The game does not have anything special like GT5 had back then. I never had a single day that I said (post release of course) : I can't wait to play GT6 once I'm home! A lot more have the same opinion as I do. Of course I'm getting older and RL gets more important. Still, when you look at GTA5, it is possible to make a game interesting for its players one you put some real effort in it! I think PD didn't expect sony to release the PS4 so ''fast''. They probably anticipated on delays and rushed the game in the end.

Physics are good, but graphics... not so good. Not for Gran Turismo standards.

Score from one to ten would be a six from my side. Only a six because I love to drift with my team and friends.

go pull the handbrake in GT6, it has a delay, please explain to me how you can learn from GT6 when it can't even get the most basic thing right, the clutch is another issue, you have to drive different to adjust for the issues this game has.
That's down to the fact you aren't dipping the clutch, which is correct ;) If you dip the clutch then pull the handbrake, it locks instantly. ;)

drifting around corners isn't hard, pushing the limits of yourself and the car is when it becomes hard, doing the most basic drifts in GT6 is much harder then in real life.
This is what I always say, but drifting at high speed is still difficult, and not many people in real life have drifted fast enough to realise how hard it REALLY is.
I'm quite aware of how Luke practices by the way, he has worked for me as an instructor at my drift school when he was in the UK. He has NO mechanical sympathy and managed to break two drive shafts in as many minutes by driving like a numpty. He has skills, but he's not someone I'd want to learn from ;) Ask anyone who has ever lent him a car, he has no idea how to make a car 'flow' :)

@Duman079, I couldn't agree more.

After a month of playing GT6, I will concede that the physics are slightly better, and therefore the drifting is slightly more realistic. But the difference from 5 to 6 is certainly not enough to make me go "errr maa gaawwd!!!"

The graphics are slightly better in some respects, but not by very much. I'm not sure how much longer I can tolerate the terrible frame rate....60 FPS my 🤬...maybe off line doing test laps by yourself, but definitely not in a full room of drifters. This is definitely a step in the wrong direction compared to 5.

I'm not very impressed by the list of new cars added to the game. I find the fact that the new M5 and 1M, along with the new ISF, are not in the game to be rather shocking. I was also really disappointed with the classic cars added too. Far to many niche cars or oddball cars that hardly anyone will use on a regular basis.

And don't even get me started on the list of cars they converted to premium...

I think overall, I would have preferred GT5.5 to this. The physics and graphics were more than good enough for me. It was everything else that needed attention. And if it were 5.5 instead of 6, we wouldn't have to wait god knows how long until we see the return of simple yet core features, such as the community menu and shuffle races. Like seriously, does no one at PD know how to use a "copy and paste" function???? Scratch that, someone must know - they've been doing it with the car models for years now!

But I absolutely agree that there is very little about the game that gets me excited. The GTP community and my teammates are the only thing that keeps me coming back.

I'm almost scared to say it, but I don't think this is the last time we will be taken on this adventure either. It would not surprise me at all if we hear that PD is completely redesigning the physics and graphics for GT7, to "take full advantage of the PS4's capabilities" or some crap like that. And once again, we'll get a delayed GT7 with new physics, new graphics, and same old everything else.

🤬 I just hope someone at PD gets the memo that bungee sliders are the worst idea...EVER!

I'm also starting to get curious as to how much the average PD employee plays GT, or just games in general. For the casual gamer, things look and work great on the surface. But when you really dive deep into the game, and sink as many hours in as most of us do, the number of small, minor details that become abundantly apparent are quite frustrating. I always find myself asking "who designed this??? Have they ever played GT for more than 10 minutes? Would they even consider themselves as a 'gamer'??" I'm really starting think that the people at PD like cars, really like computer programming (and using computers to model real life physics), but aren't actually people who play a lot of video games in general, let alone play GT on a daily basis.

Sorry, rant over

Last edited:
Unless things start to get really bad, I will look past the negatives and enjoy the game for what it is, despite its numerous shortcomings.

Witch mimics the real life characteristics is what he is saying...

He is trying to say I'm not using the clutch when I use the handbrake and that is the issue when I am using the clutch and the issue is with the handbrake/clutch itself, the clutch and handbrake in GT5-6 are horrible.

Around X-mas I got the flu and stayed inside playing GT6 on my G27 for a week. I am not ****ing with you when I say that it felt weird driving my REAL car afterwards. GT6 is not smooth at all when it comes to the drifting. I have to delay my countersteer, rip the e-brake before it feels natural to do it and I won't even start on clutch kicks.

I agree with @driftnick13 when he says the ebrake and clutch is horrible.

I've said this before, but maybe if you folks stop caring about it being realistic and not and just play it for what it is, it might be more enjoyable. As enjoyable as a ****** game gets. If I had leftover money to buy a good comp, I'd jump right back on my LFS account because I enjoy that game more.

And @TwinturboCH : You don't have to talk about how awesome your life, cars and pro-friends are, we've heard it. You just come off REALLY arrogant by doing it. I wouldn't care if it was ****ing Tezuka I was talking to, we're all equal here.

@twitcher

I agree mate. It is actually heartbreaking. GTP has been a part of my life and I really had so much fun during the GT5 days. I know it almost sounds like I'm desparate. Still, with more features this would have been a real killer. This game will be destroying some teams.I got a feeling that GT6 is like the downfall of a superior empire. Seems like our best years have been behind us. We really need to do something to keep the community active.

Team BURST will be starting the weekly events soon.I hope Team NEMESIS and some others will be hosting their lobbies as well!

@Duman079

We're going to have to turn to each other to keep things fresh and exciting. There may not tons of new content, but we can always be pushing each other to get better and try new sections, new cars, etc. Fingers crossed that the "automatic traction control" off track is removed, as that will open up dozens of new possible sections.

The NEMESIS Night Slide is definitely making a return. We haven't made an announcement, but more than likely the first one will be next Thursday. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the BURST lobbies too!! Will you be recording live again like you were before?

I can't wait to chill again on Burst's lobby @Duman079 . It was the best thing of the whole weekend for real!
On a side note to stay on topic, I could finally get my Supra to feel like in GT5 with lock. However the game needs a big update ASAP. Lot of things to fix before adding any new content.

now that I'm getting better at drifting on a G27, it's serious fun! I haven't tried online yet since for some reason all my skill goes out the window in online races and I spin out or make some really stupid mistake online and wind up losing by at least a minute's time =P

now that I'm getting better at drifting on a G27, it's serious fun! I haven't tried online yet since for some reason all my skill goes out the window in online races and I spin out or make some really stupid mistake online and wind up losing by at least a minute's time =P
There is different physics online from what I've read.

@Duman079

We're going to have to turn to each other to keep things fresh and exciting. There may not tons of new content, but we can always be pushing each other to get better and try new sections, new cars, etc. Fingers crossed that the "automatic traction control" off track is removed, as that will open up dozens of new possible sections.

The NEMESIS Night Slide is definitely making a return. We haven't made an announcement, but more than likely the first one will be next Thursday. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the BURST lobbies too!! Will you be recording live again like you were before?

Yes we will! Just finishing some school work these days. Comeback in the making!

I can't wait to chill again on Burst's lobby @Duman079 . It was the best thing of the whole weekend for real!
On a side note to stay on topic, I could finally get my Supra to feel like in GT5 with lock. However the game needs a big update ASAP. Lot of things to fix before adding any new content.

Thanks generalexxx lol.

Back