Poll: how many cars would you trade for a better game/engine sounds?

  • Thread starter Thread starter danielc
  • 105 comments
  • 5,817 views

How many cars would you trade for better engine sounds/game/features?


  • Total voters
    282
Most of the copies/standard cars gone for just better overall game. I've officially put down GT6 it took me 3 weeks and 3 days to just be fed up, and won't pick it back up until major fixes/changes come into play.

I'd take 400 cars for a better experience game wise for both online/offline. It's sad when a Vision GT car has no interior, or when a track like Ascari(Whichever one had the NSX Seasonal) is the most boring track on earth with no life breathed into it.
 
Most of the copies/standard cars gone for just better overall game. I've officially put down GT6 it took me 3 weeks and 3 days to just be fed up, and won't pick it back up until major fixes/changes come into play.

I'd take 400 cars for a better experience game wise for both online/offline. It's sad when a Vision GT car has no interior, or when a track like Ascari(Whichever one had the NSX Seasonal) is the most boring track on earth with no life breathed into it.
If they took out all of the standards you would only have about 300 out of 1200 cars. So do you REALLY want all the cars removed? While I dislike standards like the rest of us, I now realize I would not want them removed.
 
Be careful what you ask for, another game series just made a massive sacrifice in track quantiy and car quantity over something very similar. You might not like having less cars for better features.

I personally don't think ANY cars should be removed to get the other features added to the game.

Which game was that?

EDIT: Not all Standards then, but even still I can play a Racing game with 300 cars Need for Speed and Midnight Club come to my mind. Yeah they're not Simulation, but still you get in a car and race plus they're both better imo than GT has been these past two games.
 
Be careful what you ask for, another game series just made a massive sacrifice in track quantiy and car quantity over something very similar. You might not like having less cars for better features.

I personally don't think ANY cars should be removed to get the other features added to the game.
The k-cars/duplicates/19xx crappy cars and generally speaking the stds are just there to inflate numbers in my opinion.
if you bring a car like that to a track it will only give you grief and bills, because it would ruin those little things.
Point is, if you want to use them, there are already 2-4 games with them...
I want to be able to drive cars that are track worthy and current, as well as cars i am not able to afford yet(optimism)
Also they look bad in online lobbies while a shiny premium goes past it
Edit
I don't think tracks are endangered of being cut , like you know who, rather the opposite.
 
Last edited:
Which game was that?
EDIT: Not all Standards then, but even still I can play a Racing game with 300 cars Need for Speed and Midnight Club come to my mind. Yeah they're not Simulation, but still you get in a car and race plus they're both better imo than GT has been these past two games.
Forza 5. Forza 4 had almost 700 cars and all pretty dang good quality. Plus quite a few tracks. Then when F5 came out it only had 200 cars and much less tracks. All because they wanted laser scan quality. So again, be careful what you ask for because that is an unacceptable downgrade IMO from 700 to 200 cars. Not to mention the lack of tracks.

The k-cars/duplicates/19xx crappy cars and generally speaking the stds are just there to inflate numbers in my opinion.
if you bring a car like that to a track it will only give you grief and bills, because it would ruin those little things.
Point is, if you want to use them, there are already 2-4 games with them...
I want to be able to drive cars that are track worthy and current, as well as cars i am not able to afford yet(optimism)
Also they look bad in online lobbies while a shiny premium goes past it
That is a very good point about the duplicate cars. That's why PD needs a vinyl editor and the ability to swap drivetrains. As you said, a LOT of the cars are just filler cars to boost the game to 1,200 cars. If they had a vinyl editor and drivetrain swaps, it would help eliminate a lot of cars, that could still be built in different ways. Which in reality, would still be 1,200 cars.

We have been saying the same thing for MANY years and its still a progressive problem for any car game. I am still beyond disappointed with some of the decisions both developers have made. I think eventually PD and T10 will get to their goals, but its going to be a while.
 
Just need the Holden guys in here with some beer, we can make a day of it while the sun's out :D

On topic... I think some people genuinely believe that withdrawing support for the legacy models (The Standards) would somehow free enough real-time system resources to enable PD to fix all the little niggles.

What they don't realise is that most of the time they see ALL the cars with many fewer polygons than even a normal standard has when you see it in the garage. Just because a model is mapped with a certain number of vertices doesn't mean that you draw them all all the time. You rarely draw more than 70% of them, even at full resolution.

And the Skylines? I think people mean the R34, many of those aren't Skylines... if you look through the actual Skylines you'll find a massively varied bunch of cars from 5 decades ;)

Too many Miatas though, and I actually own one IRL :D
 
I'd like to see some of comments when / if GT goes FM way. How about 200 perfect cars and 10-15 tracks for 60€? Maybe 60 dlc cars for another 30€ discounted? That would be satisfying :sick:experience from which I just ran away.

Those 80's/90's Japanese cars may be uselles for some , but then I like to have races with sub 400 or even less pp "crappy" cars. Of course they cannot keep up with 500pp cars ,but in their own leagues they're good and competitive.

If you don't like "standards" don't use them. Most of those "ugly" cars are low pp and useable only in "rookie" or nA,nB races and I believe most of you "champions" don't bother with them.

Then what is the problem? It is not that PD spend months on re-doing SUZUKI ALTO WORKS substandard instead working on "new" premium car. I hope you get that.

I understand some models are duplicates > different naming , because of EU/US/JP market and they are copy-paste with different name on license plate. I'm from EU , so when I want MAZDA6 I buy EU MAZDA 6 not JP/US renamed version.It may not be important to some ,but for me it is. Again , it doesn't take them 6 months to do different license plate and copy-paste thing.

In conclusion , you can remove all standard / substandard /duplicated cars and not much will change except car count.

So , Less is more ?
 
Last edited:
There is no reason to give up any cars in terms of getting better sounds or features, If any were to be given up that would make a difference then it would be only the "New ones" which were added for GT6, the others were already there and removing them would have taken more time and effort than leaving them in.

Yes I would like better sounds and features but do not see the need to sacrifice cars to get these. More than anything we need Leaderboards and better online features. I would gladly sacrifice sound and other features for this but still would like to keep as many cars as possible for variety sake.
 
Gregor, Good point, i only use wheel/cockpit view to play car games and if std cars had interiors, no matter how poorly designed i would use them much more than in present, that is actually my biggest problem with std cars. I hate overpowered cars and race 400-550 cars as stock as possible(lsd and suspension to go for real life toe/camber)
but from a acuracy point of view yes, if quality control is good, less is more manageable so we wouldn't have many discrepancies/bugs and cars would be even more fun and have more nuances to them.
Ten81, i created this poll just for fun (as one of those games you play in a long car trip)
and to see what people would be willing to give for something they want, i reckon it will not be relevant to pd. this is a hipothetical situation where you gotta manage resources to achive another end. Its an "what if you were kaz" poll, not a oficial (or too serious) pd poll.
For the rest of the people, before getting too serious and agravated about this thread, just :cheers:
Edit
Gregor, by crappy cars i mean soccer mom's choice and fugly cars, not stds as a whole.
I love the suzuki, the caterham, the prowler(wich is barely a std)
 
Last edited:
I recently realized just how much sound can make a difference. I checked out the AC beta on PC... put on my headphones, got in the F40, and started lapping, and the sound was amazing! All they had available was just hotlapping, but the sound really helped put me right there in the car. Even without any racing to do, it made me want to keep on going. Yes, part of that was the physics model, but that sound made a world of difference.

(Naturally, I voted as much as it takes)
 
Hi

I'd dump all the duplicates where the name is the only difference, in the game for a start.

I think that would be about 300+.

Paul
 
Forza 5. Forza 4 had almost 700 cars and all pretty dang good quality. Plus quite a few tracks. Then when F5 came out it only had 200 cars and much less tracks. All because they wanted laser scan quality. So again, be careful what you ask for because that is an unacceptable downgrade IMO from 700 to 200 cars. Not to mention the lack of tracks.


That is a very good point about the duplicate cars. That's why PD needs a vinyl editor and the ability to swap drivetrains. As you said, a LOT of the cars are just filler cars to boost the game to 1,200 cars. If they had a vinyl editor and drivetrain swaps, it would help eliminate a lot of cars, that could still be built in different ways. Which in reality, would still be 1,200 cars.

We have been saying the same thing for MANY years and its still a progressive problem for any car game. I am still beyond disappointed with some of the decisions both developers have made. I think eventually PD and T10 will get to their goals, but its going to be a while.

GT3 had what 150 I think we can deal with 200-300 with better quality of everything vs. again 1200 cars and a new track that looks like you're literally out in the middle of nowhere in Ascari(that's how I view it) it was pretty pathetic even if it's so famous.
 
There is probably 300 or more cars that I have no desire to drive/have negligible difference to 3 or so other models of that car in the game.

I love american muscle. The camaro and Shelby gt500 do not sound like they should...even with the motor sound. Also there are other versions of the camaro that are different than the ss (1le, zl1, z28). But those cars aren't included....instead I get to choose a 95,96,97 gtr that are exactly the same or s2000 etc. Etc. Only difference is the year. (I dont know of I got the years right I'm just using it as an example.).

So for a better car selection and better engine sound I'd surely give up about 300 others.
 
Don't know why some people are saying get rid of the standards, there's some very, very good cars that are standards.

I'd get rid of the duplicates, no reason to have a Japanese, North American and European version of the same car
 
I'm assuming that this is for GT7, therefore I'm expecting no standard cars, whatsoever. Any standard cars from GT6 will either be fully modeled(~150) or dumped.
So I meant to vote "Over 300" but accidentally clicked under 300.
 
All but the Ferrari 458, as long as the nail that sound completely.
 
We shouldn't need to kill so many cars because sounds are going to overlap in the first place. There wouldn't be 1200 sounds for all 1200 cars because of all the duplicates.
 
Of course it will. If they have to resample 1000+ cars takes way more time and people than doing 3-400. they are proud of attention to detail and such a big sample has more room for errors.
Mistakes like the focus where it has 2 final drive ratios, wouldn't happen, 4wd issues,pit issues and so on.
I am asking how many cars would you trade for something(anything) you wanted but is not there.
If you think none, than vote none...
They wouldnt need to resample all the cars/. A lot of the cars sound the same and the duplicates will sound the same unless they had a different exhaust.

The k-cars/duplicates/19xx crappy cars and generally speaking the stds are just there to inflate numbers in my opinion.
if you bring a car like that to a track it will only give you grief and bills, because it would ruin those little things.
Point is, if you want to use them, there are already 2-4 games with them...
I want to be able to drive cars that are track worthy and current, as well as cars i am not able to afford yet(optimism)
Also they look bad in online lobbies while a shiny premium goes past it
Edit
I don't think tracks are endangered of being cut , like you know who, rather the opposite.
Just because you want track day or uber fast cars don't mean they should get rid of them. At least half of us want the slower cars to thrash around the track. If GT was all about the fast cars I wouldn't buy GT games anymore.
 
Last edited:
I meant in real life, if you take a econobox to the track you are most likely going to kill the car, in the game i love 2-400hp cars, the races are much closer and enjoyable.
 
Griffith, i just realized you are the one responsible for the game sounds , just come out and say it... Lol ... Just kidding.
I thought it was my imagination too but i have used the same speakers and played that bit 10 times , each following a gt6 car, and its just 90+% the very same engine sound
And since the cars from gt2-3-4 sound like they did back then, its unlikely they re-recorded all of them.
If i remember correctly, kaz said they are waiting for a breakthrough that has not been achieved yet. Wouldn't be wiser to switch focus to this area, rather than squeezing more cars? Very few people will gather significant miles in every single car. In a 200 car game most people won't drive them all.
Would you trade pd firing half their staff for porsches in game? I know i would

I haven't watched the clip in question, but the game itself (Motor Toon GP), as seen on various lets plays on YouTube, does not sound like GT6. It doesn't even sound like the first game, before the big sampling reform of GT2.

The reason many cars sound like GT2 now is because they are mostly the same samples. That's what I mean, nobody outside of PD's little circle of influence has heard the new sounds, except for the incomplete Red Bull cars, which were probably only intended as a little "teaser". By judging the current sounds as the best PD can do, you are missing the point entirely.

They are not literally sitting around waiting for the breakthrough to come along, the "breakthrough" is what they are working towards and is what is causing the delay - it's probably only a technical issue with getting the new synths to play nicely together, and with the rest of the game, in terms of SPU scheduling and overall performance / quality compromise (there should be no such issue on PS4, except the quality bit). Managing to record a few more cars is not a "breakthrough".

Kaz said a similar thing about the time change issue, that some tracks take more easily to it than others with the techniques and hardware budget they have (allocated). Halving the staff is not going to do anything to "improve" things, especially for those who believe PD are already understaffed. And firing people is not how licensing works; again utterly nonsensical.

If you want to turn a blind eye to the logic and mechanics of how the real world works for the sake of a bit of idle navel-gazing, that's fine (I know I enjoy a bit of it). But you cannot be serious with it.
 
Griffith, go to the pub and have a cold one... Its not serious at all.... I know they are working for the breakthrough, but since its taken so long, they should use aditional resources or outsourcing to more advanced audio professionals( better?) . If they have premium/std cars, why not the former have premium sounds too?
and this poll is just for laughs. Chilax man...
 
GT and realistic sounds all in the same sentence thats funny right there.
 
Griffith, go to the pub and have a cold one... Its not serious at all.... I know they are working for the breakthrough, but since its taken so long, they should use aditional resources or outsourcing to more advanced audio professionals( better?) . If they have premium/std cars, why not the former have premium sounds too?
and this poll is just for laughs. Chilax man...

I'm pretty relaxed, actually. I just won't tolerate misinformation, whether it's for the lolz or not.
 
Back