POLYPHONY DIGITAL are you listening?

• Thread starter Threshold
  • 467 comments
This is hardly my main concern, but on the graphic front, GT5P, while it is very impressive in many respects - particularly the car modelling - is a bit dull & lifeless when it comes to the environments. It would be nice to have some more varied lighting & atmospheric effects: like F1:CE (take a look at the lighting at Monza for eg.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-bggoBq7s

or the way Ferrari Challenge seems to be shaping up. I don't understand why PD doesn't programme some movement into the environments: trees swaying, birds flying, clouds moving. Wouldn't this be very easy to do (I remember these effects in PGR2)?

I don't understand why PD doesn't programme some movement into the environments: trees swaying, birds flying, clouds moving. Wouldn't this be very easy to do (I remember these effects in PGR2)?
There is only moving grass right now, as far as I remember.

PD builds their own PS3 tools (that's why Logitech is the only company credited at the beginning), which is also part of the reason it takes them so long to build new versions.

SONY bought the rights to SpeedTree2 technology a long time ago (around the "Afrika" demo era), but it seems PD is ignoring it.

Cheers,

MasterGT

This is hardly my main concern, but on the graphic front, GT5P, while it is very impressive in many respects - particularly the car modelling - is a bit dull & lifeless when it comes to the environments. & atmospheric effects: like F1:CE (take a look at the lighting at Mon I don't understand why PD doesn't programme some movement into the environments: trees swaying, birds flying, clouds moving. Wouldn't this be very easy to do (I remember these effects in PGR2)?

A bit dull, really only a bit? LOL
I recall Kaz saying in an interview regarding GT4 about the environment, particles like dirt on track and cars, real-time changing track conditions ... etc.: ' PS 2 can't handle this, but you'll see this for sure on PS3 '
Also i recall something like PD would never make GT- online region locked, ' would be totally against the idea of Online- Gaming '... LOL
Objectively GT5 looks poor imo, cars ok, but environment? ughh :boggled:

Yeah it really is getting to the point where many GT "lifers" will have had enough waiting for the long-promised improvements (track conditions, AI, damage, AI, RT weather, AI, improved physics engine...did I mention AI? ;) ), and will think to move on. The game just isn't keeping up with the market at the moment, and I sincerely hope for PDs sake that GT5P is very much "P" and not too much "GT5".

I for one would not be happy turning my back on this franchise, but it just isn't delivering the bleeding edge the way it once did.

did you just make that up? ;)
I don't make things up, smiley or no smiley.

SONY signed the deal in November of 2005, but I haven't followed this deal to know which PS3 games have ever made use of ST2 technologies. Microsoft also signed a ST2 deal and is supposed to have at least some games using it released this year, or so I just read.

Cheers,

MasterGT

You do realise you are playing on a TV, which is a flat surface? The maximum you can have is 90 degree FOV where as in real life you have almost 180 degrees...

It's not unrealistic, it's just not possible.
It's possible.

GT4 and 180° view on three monitors.

I don't make things up, smiley or no smiley.

Given the lack of smiley in your post, I have to assume that you were somewhat offended by my comment. In fact, I never actually believed you had made it up, but given the unlikely & faintly preposterous sounding name of "SpeedTree 2 technology" I think it would have been somewhat clever & witty of you if you had...

:)

My suggestion is for just a very slight rumble in the wheel when the front wheels have lost traction in some cars. When there's wheel spin in real life, it isn't completely smooth.

Yeah it really is getting to the point where many GT "lifers" will have had enough waiting for the long-promised improvements (track conditions, AI, damage, AI, RT weather, AI, improved physics engine...did I mention AI? ;) ), and will think to move on. The game just isn't keeping up with the market at the moment, and I sincerely hope for PDs sake that GT5P is very much "P" and not too much "GT5".

I for one would not be happy turning my back on this franchise, but it just isn't delivering the bleeding edge the way it once did.

While I will likely always buy any GT game, I too have been waiting for numerous updates and features that are common place among other racing games. PD just wants to do things their way, good or bad for the fans is not part of the equation. I love GT5P's physics right now, but as soon as FM3 comes out its superior online play will easily steal me away so I can race inches apart with friends I have had for years through out FM1 and FM2. I wish PD had the sense of community we have here and FM has.

After coming back to the game and playing it for a while I can say the one thing that seems to be missing is a lack of outside speed referencing. By that I mean while you are motoring around, the outside environments pretty much stays in total focus and remains static in visual referencing. This makes it hard to judge your 'sense' of speed', I find anyway. If you watch your replays you can see some of the 'blurring' and loss of focus in some parts, buy while driving the courses that's not there.

I think PD are so hung up on making the game look pretty they are not thinking clearly on what it should look like while racing/driving. Granted you can't use GRiD as an example, however you can certainly see the difference it makes when you have motion blur and focusing happening while racing. There are much better visual cues you can take while coming into corners and such. You get a much better sense that you're moving. I find this totally lacking in GT5P, completely. I didn't really notice it before, only when I came back to the game.

All I can say is I really and truly hope Prologue is a 'low res - low feature' version of the actual game or PD is in a heap of trouble. And with the power of the PS3 and the time they've had with it while developing the game, it should by far and away be the most advanced game available for the platform. As it stands now it's barely ahead of GT4 in my opinion in actual game play. Visually it's not contest, but if I want pretty pictures I'll buy a magazine... :)

Loads of tracks 100+ would be great. Also Some more formula one tracks such as monza, imola, Monaco etc.

A big Online cannonball run feature where you and your mates go cruising through different countries, stopping for petrol. Or is that me being sad:)

PD, you should start to model the entire car, not only the visible parts like the bodywork, wheels, interior. You should model everything e.g. the engine (and I don't mean the F430, Ford GT, R8 etc...), the suspension, chassis behind the bodywork.

Maybe this is the reason that PD doesn't or can't or won't implement mechanical damage. This is maybe also the reason that PD gets away with 60fps at 1080p, but I could be wrong though.

Why would you want to model anything that is completely hidden? Should there be a texture for the inside of a cylinder? The underside of a leather steering wheel?

I think you're missing the point. Other sims model their cars entirely. If PD implements damage, he has to model things that are hidden.

I think you're missing the point. Other sims model their cars entirely. If PD implements damage, he has to model things that are hidden.

You know that opens up a wormhole

If the front bumper falls off a GT5P car what is behind the bumper? Black emptiness or a radiator?

I'm thinking black emptiness so most likely damage won't break parts off the car but will probably only crumple parts which is OK with me

You know that opens up a wormhole

If the front bumper falls off a GT5P car what is behind the bumper? Black emptiness or a radiator?

I'm thinking black emptiness so most likely damage won't break parts off the car but will probably only crumple parts which is OK with me

No, actually, PD did do some modeling behind the body of the car. Look at the 512BB and its grille, for example. Wires and cables are very visible there. I haven't really looked for this on any other cars - I just noticed it on the Ferrari because the grille is so huge. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if this existed on other cars too.

But yes, I agree with you - I would also think that parts would just crumple instead of breaking off. The inner mechanical workings of cars would be incredibly time consuming to design and model, and creating a damage engine to work with it would be extremely complicated. GT isn't really about mangling cars anyway, so I can't really see PD using valuable time and resources to create extensive damage physics.

The same thing goes for the undersides of cars. In GT4, car undersides had no pipes or anything. It was just a black void. I can see why PD left it that way - it saved work and disc space for the side of a car that wasn't visible. I also can't really see them putting in effort to model these either. They won't be visible unless the car becomes airborne. But, who knows? Only PD does. Guess we'll just have to sit back and wait.

PD may have done the cars so good that they don't need to do them again for GT6?? ..so if it really took 6months for 1 car.. there might be more than we know yet.

No, actually, PD did do some modeling behind the body of the car. Look at the 512BB and its grille, for example. Wires and cables are very visible there. I haven't really looked for this on any other cars - I just noticed it on the Ferrari because the grille is so huge. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if this existed on other cars too.

Yes all the cars do have everything modelled behind the grilles (everything that should be visible is there).

PD may have done the cars so good that they don't need to do them again for GT6?? ..so if it really took 6months for 1 car.. there might be more than we know yet.

GT6 will most likely be like GT4 was to GT3, PD did not remodel the cars that were in GT3 that continued onto GT4, and because of this using photomode you can usually tell which car came from GT3 just by the rough edges.

As for the 6 months thing.... maybe it takes them 6 months worth of man hours but it doesn't actually take them 6 months to produce the car.

An example is in the SCEA official GT forum, Graig Morrison posted info and details as he got them there about the process with the 60' Morrison Vette, if you look at the time that the car was scanned, photographed and tested until the time he first played it at Sema it was only 3-4 months and PD probably had it finished before then anyway. So 6 months may just be for example 6 employees taking one month.

Also, none of us are sure how 'deep' PD's modelling of the cars goes yet, but I do know that they do have the data for it. They take tons of footage up undercarriages, under the bonnet/hood and everywhere. GT4 did have some flat sprites that you could see under the car to replicate parts (like large differential housings and coolers on some cars). This time they may have gone a step further, I know you can see the chassis on the Morrison car and well as other various bits (Exhausts etc) from what we can see in the GT5P cars.

..my point was that if damage comes, in gt6 you will see parts flying... (they are perfectionists, aren't they, at least by their own words :) )

Of course I meant manhours, was too lazy to explain better (happens too much to me)

PiP feature during replay.

I like to watch the track cams and dashboard view during replay. This means that I always have to switch between these views.

Why not creating a PiP feature so I/we can watch 2 diferent view during replay at the same time?

Listen:

1. Remove this absurd Rubberband-Effect.

Why do the best drivers have to be disadvantaged ? So unreal..

2. Modify the Pro Physics.

Especially the RWD cars are too hard to drive.
Also the AWD cars do have a big advantage over all others because of that and this is unreal.
There is something wrong with the physics when the tail steps out. In real-life if you lift the accelerator the car stabilizes but not so in GT5P.

3. Modify the AI cars

It is boring to race against them. You actually race against one single car whos laptimes are programmed as to be the fastest. There has to be more variety in laptimes of all AI cars so that it can happen that even a midfield car catches up to the leader and then drops back again after another 10 laps or so.

4. Multiplayer Replays and a REAL Gran-Turismo TV

Why not spot any online races without taking part ? This feature shouldnt be hard to do.

5. Add the Qualifying

Why must the guy with the slowest car have the pole-position ? So unreal...

6. Fix that crappy Chaseview. My God..

Daer Kazunori, watch this:
and then command your programmers to make it identical. The camera (view) direction has to be tracking not heading. (In aeronautical terms) And it has to be "loose"...

7. Give the AI drivers more Intelligence

For an example of the far best AI drivers install TDK Mediactive - Mercedes-Benz World Racing Demo (MBWR) and experience it yourself. Download here: http://dlz.download.chip.eu/exec/r2r.pl?m=dlz;u=http%3A%2F%2Fdl05.chip.eu%2Fdownload%2Ff235a21c97b4dc32fd1a07b1a4ca3be5%2F48728d16%2F9326%2Fworld_racing_demo.exe;ct=1;thc=1;b=9326;c=101293;tit=Beitrag+9326+DE;url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.chip.eu%2Fde%2Fdownload_getfile_de_1871902.html;sep=%7C;tid=105;tp=9%7C45;tc=005005006;tn=Sport+%26+Simulation;tpn=download+eu%7CSpiele+%26+Unterhaltung;content_type=egc;cs=1

4. Multiplayer Replays and a REAL Gran-Turismo TV

Yep, definately want online replays. It sucks that you can have some awesome close races and not be able to save them. (at least not without a lot of configuration of video equipment, and why should you have to go to that trouble ?)

Also GTTV is not exactly the happening thing that was promised is it. I don't think it is too much to ask for at least one piece of new content a week, and I don't mean just another Logitech advert.

1.Rubberband seems to be gone, at least for slowing the leaders 👍

2.I think PRO physic is done pretty good, especially lift off oversteer on mid engine cars. I think PD needs to improve throttle and brake control for DS3/SIXAXIS... the guys with steering wheels don't seem having big probs in that department:odd:

3. Hmmmh, whilst not perfect i like the AI
4. Yes, 100% agree 👍
5.Well...not sure about this?
6.Yeah the chaseview needs more dynamic, the environment and track surface too.

I still hope for more dynamic generally and options like the ability to turn everything on or off will be programmed for GT5 👍

A game generator.

I like free racing but I never can seem to choose which car, which track etc...

Let the game decide for me!

1. Private rooms as already said

2. DEDICATED SERVERS!!!

3. Host Migration

4. Better penalty system! Its not fair that I get penalised when someone rams me!!

5. Nurburgring

6. Im gonna say this again, because its so important.....private rooms & dedicated servers!

Ability to have replays in computer-friendly format, as in not 1920x1080 and 50GB, but 640x480 and 80mb.

Back