Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
Hmmm, I guess that makes the CGT still somewhat undervalued compared to other Porsches. Maybe the death on wheels stories surrounding it have had an effect.

Having seen all the colour options for the GT2 RS, my choice would be all black or PTS. Everything else looks a little too Masonry in my eyes.

I read an interesting post from CJ Wilson and his view about the CGT values which leads me to believe it is and isn't undervalued.

According to CJ, CGTs are basically separating into 2 categories: drivers' cars and museum pieces. Drivers' cars are your "bottom value" CGTs still hovering around $600-$700,000. Museum pieces are you examples hovering over a million dollars. CJ's opinion is that the drivers' cars aren't bad, but they are vehicles that are going to need maintenance work in coming years for new owners that goes beyond just engine-out service. For ex., I didn't know the system that lowers and raises the rear wing is prone to failure and requires a $4,000 service to fix; it costs extra for a technician to remove all the rear body work to get to said area. Over the years, there are just parts prone to wearing that require a lot of money to fix. On the other end, you have the museum pieces that have no miles and collect value. They're cars that deserve the be driven, but are much more mechanically sound due to sitting around and thus, will save their new owners thousands of dollars upfront.

He believes the best way is to find the grey area, and look for cars that have been driven & recently serviced. He's said that there is a difference between a used example & a new example; used cars tend to feel nicer to drive because they have been worn in. Of course, CJ's ultimate solution is also his way: buy 2 examples in both areas.

That's the downside to 'hyper car' ownership. The maintenance costs can be eyewayering. But garage queens can also run up massive bills if they aren't driven regularly.

Personally, with a lottery win, a CGT would be my 'hero' purchase... but I'd want one to drive, not store, so something with 20k+ on it wouldn't frighten me.

After all, if you have £500k for a car, £5k in servicing shouldn't be a problem.

It's all about rarity... Porsche made 1,300 CGTs, but only 600 RS 4.0.

Add in the RS 4.0 being the last of its kind with the Mezger's swansong and the CGT being a one off and that would add more appreciation.

What a concept... building to demand. It's fine and good to limit production to keep your prices high, but every once in a while you gotta cash in with some extra units to make that really pay.

Exactly, there's no fun seeing your product make n*10 million dollars in sales when you only took n yourself.

The CGT prices, or lack of, only reflect what the used market was like about a decade ago. The Enzo and the Merc/McLaren SLR were always valued higher. For some reason, the CGT just never inspired investors/collectors like the others did. It was the same with the F40 and 959. The F40, although much more prevalent, 1,311 - 345 built, and a similar price when new, has always been valued higher on the used market.

Last edited:
991 Successor will have a digital dash.

2019-porsche-911-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100612768_h.jpg

2019-porsche-911-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100612762_h.jpg

2019-porsche-911-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100612766_h.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1111358_next-porsche-911-to-come-with-digital-dash

Crazy how fast cars are getting nowadays; it matches a Zonda R, and that car was basically a V12 bolted to some carbon fibre.

On slicks as well, IIRC.

having said that, the latest cup tyres are pretty amazing.

As fast as it is it look hideous, espcially in yellow. If I had one I wouldn’t want the black stripes.

As fast as it is it look hideous, espcially in yellow. If I had one I wouldn’t want the black stripes.
It looks like you’d have to go without the Weissach package then, and settle for the carbon trunk lid. The stripes are carbon fiber so IDK if opting for PTS can have them finished any differently; word has it if PTS is even available, it won’t be til’ the second run of allocations begin.

I’d settle for the car in black personally. I think it’s got too many black accents all around for brighter colors to work with. Maybe silver or Lava Orange if you get the Weissach pkg as well.

Last edited:
Yeah I’d just like it all one colour, I never like how the 997 GT3 RS didn’t come with a painted boot lid. Naked CF is ugly and ends up being heavier than paint because of all the lacquer.

Yeah I’d just like it all one colour, I never like how the 997 GT3 RS didn’t come with a painted boot lid. Naked CF is ugly and ends up being heavier than paint because of all the lacquer.
Did you mean the GT2? I wonder if you could swap it with the lid off a GT3 RS 4.0. To my understanding, it's the exact same hood, but the 4.0 is painted vs. the raw finish.

Sorry yeah I meant to type 997 GT2 RS.

For me, GT Silver looks best on the 991 GT2RS with the Weissach package.

I also heard absolutely no PTS on the GT2.

Stripes on a Porsche just don't look right imo, and especially how far apart on the 911R. I don't mind some of the black accents on the RS, and I liked some of the vibrant GT3 RS colors. But can't ever go wrong with black.

Speaking of colors I've never liked red for modern Porsche's. But my friend has a 918 spyder in red and is gorgeous, best looking color for it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Far too much dark areas on the bumpers, in the same way the GT3 RS suffered. It’s presumably bare carbon fibre, but it just looks like unpainted trim from a 90s base model.

I also heard absolutely no PTS on the GT2.
That's unfortunate, I'd like to see what people come up with doing PTS. Personally, I'd be happy with silver or white with painted carbon fiber bits. Exposed carbon looks really tacky to me.

Latest Posts

Back