Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
A street car that can lap the Nurb as fast as a slick-shod track-prepped Pagani Zonda R is a mighty achievement. Kudos to Porsche.
A lighter and more powerful Zonda at that. But no, this doesn't make people butthurt and question the legitimacy of this time like the Huracan.

To be fair, the Zonda R is about seven years old now as crazy as it sounds. In automotive terms, that's a lifetime of small advancements which all add up to that quick time.

To be fair, the Zonda R is about seven years old now as crazy as it sounds. In automotive terms, that's a lifetime of small advancements which all add up to that quick time.
That is true, but I'm still not sure it could beat a lighter more powerful car with all that aero. Maybe it's down to the driver knowing the track like the back of his hand. Maybe that driver would better the time again in the Zonda.

There should be an official leaderboard now to stop this nonsense, you have 3 laps to set a record, car must be examined to be determined that it is identical to one that leaves the show room. No team mechaincs, just the car and the driver, go. All these times currently are pissing contests.

A lighter and more powerful Zonda at that. But no, this doesn't make people butthurt and question the legitimacy of this time like the Huracan.

I think people were butthurt due to the stigma surrounding Lamborghinis, and that they were usually considered to be “show off” cars, and weren’t necessarily the fastest cars around...which had people asking many questions when they came around with a time 5 seconds faster than a 918.

VXR
And people believe RR is a flawed layout.

From a lap-time perspective, it is. To think it's not is to take away from what Porsche has achieved. When Porsche gets serious about setting lap times, they go MR:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a31703/porsche-911-rsr-frank-walliser/

They know this, everyone knows this. That's what makes the 911 special, they stick with RR and give you a back seat and make it great anyway. Granted, the rear seating is not really usable in the GT2 RS, but that's kindof a different discussion. The real accomplishment is not that they beat a Zonda R or whatever, it's that they did it with a car that is not purpose-built from the ground-up to do so. They did it with one hand behind their back.

No, can't see anything suspicious about it other than it being a German registered car in Serbia. But I still don't think any customer cars have been made or delivered yet.
Fair enough. Just thought you’d see something I didn’t with the plate. :)

In my opinion, you can only really compare lap times between given generations of tires, possibly even between individual tires. The grip level improvements of street tires continue to blow my mind. I remember when a car pulling .90G on the skidpad from the factory was a remarkable achievement (Need for Speed 1 showcase information, circa 1994). Now we have cars like the C7 Z06 pulling nearly 1.2G on the skidpad while most 'normal' performance cars exceed 1.0G. That is ludicrous. This is anecdotal because I can't remember the source, but I recall some publication fitting a Mclaren F1 with modern tires (some time around 2012 or something) and it absolutely transformed the capabilities of the car, putting it in the same lap time range as the-then current hypercars.

Aero improvements have been substantial as well. I still argue that, overall, tires are far more impactful to how fast a car can get around a track, until you getting into silly levels of downforce (Aka F1/LMP).

I'm looking for information about the torque curve (?) of Porsche 991.2 C2S and the GTS. Is there such information to be found on the internet?

Added to the lineup:

BF967BE2-5D89-4A49-BD9D-FFDEC036CA51.jpeg

911 Carrera T.

Basically a stripped out base Carrera. There’s even a rear seat delete option.

No news on the official Porsche website. I wonder how much more this Carrera T will cost.

I think it's not going to be a limited item. Porsche is simply giving the purists what they want: A very basic 911 that reminds them of the old-school, which the 911T of the 60s did.

As if the manual GT3 and GT3 Touring aren't enough...

I think it's not going to be a limited item. Porsche is simply giving the purists what they want: A very basic 911 that reminds them of the old-school, which the 911T of the 60s did.

As if the manual GT3 and GT3 Touring aren't enough...
I know that it isn't a 'limited availability' version. I was wondering how much the T will cost. In the mean time (between my previous post and this post), the T has been added to the Porsche website. Base price without options = €111,053.80

So £8k more for a base Carrera with less equipment? - Well played Porsche, well played. ;) 👍
Not less, more.
  • It has Chrono pack without the Chrono.
  • PSM (10mm or 20mm lower. Depends where you buy one) with sport-mode.
  • Sport Plus seats.
  • PTV with mechanically locking rear differential.
  • GT steering wheel (360mm instead of 375mm).
  • Sportexhaust with a black chrome plated finish.
  • Carrera S 20" Wheels instead of 19" wheels
  • Two 12v sockets in the passenger footwell
  • I believe but am not sure the SportDesign rear spoiler.
  • Interior and exterior design stuff.
Got this information from the Belgian Porsche website. It probably differs from other countries.

Coming Up for sale for a massive mark up near you soon.
I wouldn't assume so. It's a niche car Germans have a fascination with. Porsche will let the options list add to the mark up.

Speaking of 911s and mark ups though, I do like these 3 they created for the UK market to celebrate their British drivers; Nick Tandy, Richard Attwood, & Derek Bell.
pcgb17_0780_fine.jpg

pcgb17_0761_fine.jpg

pcgb17_0769_fine.jpg

I wouldn't assume so. It's a niche car Germans have a fascination with. Porsche will let the options list add to the mark up.

Speaking of 911s and mark ups though, I do like these 3 they created for the UK market to celebrate their British drivers; Nick Tandy, Richard Attwood, & Derek Bell.
pcgb17_0780_fine.jpg

Whoa — I was at that exact spot earlier this month! :D

I love those tribute cars, especially that #23 917 one.

Also, I really like this 911 Carrera T thing, though at that price, I'd stretch a bit further for a base GT3. Because if I had the money for the T, surely $30-40k more is fine. :lol:

The T is so far wide of what a proper, lightweight 991 could have been.

Some proper weight reduction (100kg+), the old 3.4 NA engine, a sports exhaust, buckets, manual box would have been interesting.

This is just a spec sheet exercise.

The T is so far wide of what a proper, lightweight 991 could have been.

Some proper weight reduction (100kg+), the old 3.4 NA engine, a sports exhaust, buckets, manual box would have been interesting.

This is just a spec sheet exercise.
And still, it intrigues me ........... a lot.

Looks great in Voodoo! As much as I love bright colored 911s, I would really like to see this in a darker shade of blue too. With the red interior and gold wheels, I think darker colors might work better. Looking forward to more PTS GT2s.

Back