Possible new bug: blinking braking indicator

• Thread starter HellzFire
  • 185 comments
6BK
I know this will sound naive but I've been around a while and still have to smirk when I see this kind of thing. Back in 2005-2007 I was moderator in an online game mod and most of my time was spent investigating cheats and working around fixes. The naivety of my view comes from the fact that while I won't say "I don't get it" because I do understand cheats, the logic is still so mind numbingly stupid even a decade later. If you win on GT Sport you won't win money, you won't get a sponsorship deal unless you are a top Youtube gamer and such cheating would be called out very quickly if it was so public, most of the players are anonymous (playing under online handles) and faceless (playing in their own homes while sitting in their jocks). There is absolutely no gain be it fame, money, or even personal satisfaction (winning by cheating is hardly something I'd dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back for), but cheats continue to do it with some deluded belief that they are better or smarter than others. Personally I'd rather be last across the line and playing to my real personal best than first across and cheating. The old phrase "they are only cheating themselves" is so true and why I will sound naive. Yes, they cheat clean players out of wins, but like I say, what do I really lose? I enjoy GT but it's a game, a place to chill and escape the crap of the world, why the hell would I come to a game where I escape reality for a while and test my skill on a virtual race track if I have to cheat myself while doing it? Man, their lives must be so damn empty.

The way I see it, there are 2 groups affected by this: the cheaters, and the non-cheaters.

The cheaters do it for fleeting fame or to soothe their inferiority complex, whatever, I don't care. It's their own game, and there are no intrinsic rewards for it anyway.

The non cheaters however, we spend oodles of time and effort to practice practice practice so we can be faster and try to win the race, but all that hard work is negated by the cheaters and their flimsy cardboard. Sure at the end of the day we don't really lose anything either (besides time that could be otherwise used for more productive stuff), but it devalues playing the game and the competitive aspect. For a game sanctioned by the FIA no less, it's an absolute farce that things like this are not fixed as number 1 priority.

I tried to set up my rig with the cardboard yesterday but couldn't get the sweet spot right. Also tried with DS4 (analog sticks and triggers) and no cigar. My brakes are either on or off. I can't get it to stay in that sweet spot where it activates ABS but no braking. Tested it at Fuji and got no advantage. Guess I'll just have to rely on my own speed then.

BTW, I would be wary of people using this trick in FIA races as well lest you get banned when PD discovers this (like how some people got banned for exploiting the pit glitch in races last year).

Disconnect internet 5 sec after the lap is done.. then quit

Have a friend that made the top 10 for a day. His replay wasn't available on the Top 10 list but it was available on the friend leaderboards. Maybe it's a privacy setting?

And yeah, abs was lit and the brake was flickering.

This sucks.

giphy.gif

I am assuming for this glitch to work that you must run your ABS on default and not weak? It surprises me that so many people use default instead of weak for ABS, it seems that I can brake later using ABS weak, maybe its because I have the pressure feedback pedal set? I think on my Fanatec pedals I would just need to adjust my brake pedal travel adjuster, just after I bought the wheel/pedals I was playing with the adjustments and I had so much brake pressure when not stepping on the brakes it was affecting my top speed, it only took a lap and a half to figure out why I was going so slow. :dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce: I would think a good test on GR3 cars would be Catalunya circuit experience, the Lambo feels like it is on comfort hards for this test. 💡💡💡

Really annoying glitch. In EMEA the top 10 for the Weekly Race A is almost full of people doing it, but just one player uploaded the replay. Guess that the rest of the players leave the TT as soon as they get the time, so the replay doesn't show up in the leaderboard to see them using the ABS glitch. A very good example of these guys is a french guy named ''sweetgegz'', he never upload the replay and I've seen him lately in every Top 10, pretty sure that he does the glitch always.

I don't think this is fair for those that like to do TTs fairly. This should be fixed, now more people knows about it and there will be more people using it.

I've spent quite some time improving my qualification time on race A this week and managed to get within the top 100. Really disappointing to realize that there are so many cheaters out there.
Earlier this week i was on pole (race A), but got overtaken before turn 1 by someone with an unreal start from P2. I had a good start with TCS1 but he was almost a full car length ahead before turn one. Guess he used this cheat...

If there has been a bit of a doubt about the severity of this exploit weeks ago when it started to become public, I think we now can say it gets annoying big time. Did anyone of you do this :

?

Like @ASH32 I'm afraid it isn't an easy-to-fix-bug since it could mean to rewrite the complete ABS / braking physics. So if it takes a while, just out of interest, how many of you will use the exploit too just to be competitive again ?

Like @ASH32 I'm afraid it isn't an easy-to-fix-bug since it could mean to rewrite the complete ABS / braking physics. So if it takes a while, just out of interest, how many of you will use the exploit too just to be competitive again ?

I don’t see why it would be hard to fix. If ABS effects are applied in the dead zone before actual braking occurs, just align it with the actual braking.

At the moment the two don’t seem to be linked...

I don’t see why it would be hard to fix. If ABS effects are applied in the dead zone before actual braking occurs, just align it with the actual braking.

At the moment the two don’t seem to be linked...

I agree with this. Maybe I just do not know enough about programming but you would think PD could align ABS activation with brake pressure, say maybe no ABS activation until there is 50% brake pressure???

I agree with this. Maybe I just do not know enough about programming but you would think PD could align ABS activation with brake pressure, say maybe no ABS activation until there is 50% brake pressure???
My best guess would be that the ABS system should only kick in when the wheels lock under breaking, the percentage of brake pressure is irrelevant, when you're driving on a snow covered road, the ABS system can kick in much earlier, so wel before 50% of break pressure is applied.

This new exploit is just another item shining a light on the state of the gaming industry in general and the negative pressures of commercial reality, on the quality of products released.

How hard can it be for developers to find these things out and fix them, before releasing a game? There is this thing called software testing, pre-release. Without this job being done properly, many bugs will be in the released game, invalidating many results, as people find the exploits that have nothing to do with driving skill, that help them achieve results higher than their skill level. For example the Barcelona final chicane cutting last week, the tyre refresh cheat last year etc.

There are dozens of top drivers who would happily be hard working and dedicated volunteers, who, having signed nda’s, would do a lot better job of this testing for nothing, than any dumb AI, that they currently are using, revving every car to max revs in every gear, for example, is not going to find the problems that led to the racing being ruined for months last year by the fuel sipping but still fastest in class GR4 M4.

This new exploit is just another item shining a light on the state of the gaming industry in general and the negative pressures of commercial reality, on the quality of products released.

How hard can it be for developers to find these things out and fix them, before releasing a game? There is this thing called software testing, pre-release. Without this job being done properly, many bugs will be in the released game, invalidating many results, as people find the exploits that have nothing to do with driving skill, that help them achieve results higher than their skill level. For example the Barcelona final chicane cutting last week, the tyre refresh cheat last year etc.

There are dozens of top drivers who would happily be hard working and dedicated volunteers, who, having signed nda’s, would do a lot better job of this testing for nothing, than any dumb AI, that they currently are using, revving every car to max revs in every gear, for example, is not going to find the problems that led to the racing being ruined for months last year by the fuel sipping but still fastest in class GR4 M4.

AI is so bad they should call ALI for Artificial Lack of Intelligence

I think they mean different things, but okay.

Glitch. Bug. Exploit.

So, let's say Lewis Hamilton set track records while dragging his brakes...?

And then?

So, let's say Lewis Hamilton set track records while dragging his brakes...?

And then?

How is that even a sensible theory? That wouldn't happen because of basic energy principles, with kinetic energy slowing the car.

Why are you making up a stupid physically impossible theory (well, physically impossible a F1 car would be faster with brakes dragging than without), to say this isn't a bug?

Surely by having to make up such a nonsensical argument, that shows it is nonsensical to say this isn't a bug because it 'might happen in real life' according to your barmy dense logic.

Also jeez do you not know how to use the quote and reply features

It is both a bug and an exploit. It is a bug, because it clearly isn't meant to happen in Gran Turismo, and no futuristic nonsense makes that true, and certain players are exploiting the bug.

In a conversation I don't quote people. No need, eh?

Specific word use.

I raced for 8 years in a Honda. I dragged my brakes and won 7 Championships.

Have a good evening, as this isn't worth my time.

This is no different to exploiting track limit errors, which on the whole, everyone seems utterly OK with...

Sure, the FIA might DQ your lap time doing what is allowed in game at T1 at RBR, might call you in for a drive-through or add a race end penalty for doing it consistently, but hey! If this dumb game allows it, it's OK, right?

Why the angst over an exploit that is now common knowledge and easy to do yourself? We are now back to the level playing field, which is all that matters. PD may fix it or not. As long as it quickly becomes the new de facto, no harm, no foul. I can sympathize with those that have lost out on a few races while those in the know got away with it, but what did they lose, ultimately? Pride? It's not like TRL_Lightning didn't make the finals because some noob stuck paper on his brake pedal.

We all know the exploit, and should all use it until fixed (if ever). That's racing!

This is no different to exploiting track limit errors, which on the whole, everyone seems utterly OK with...

Sure, the FIA might DQ your lap time doing what is allowed in game at T1 at RBR, might call you in for a drive-through or add a race end penalty for doing it consistently, but hey! If this dumb game allows it, it's OK, right?

Why the angst over an exploit that is now common knowledge and easy to do yourself? We are now back to the level playing field, which is all that matters. PD may fix it or not. As long as it quickly becomes the new de facto, no harm, no foul. I can sympathize with those that have lost out on a few races while those in the know got away with it, but what did they lose, ultimately? Pride? It's not like TRL_Lightning didn't make the finals because some noob stuck paper on his brake pedal.

We all know the exploit, and should all use it until fixed (if ever). That's racing!
Track limits are a grey area because we often have different opinions on where they should be. I think most would prefer if track limit exploits were punished appropriately, but, as in all sports, abusing the rules is often worth the penalty. The problem with this exploit is that it's clearly flouting acceptable behaviour, yet there is no penalty. It's similar to diving in soccer. When we think about it it's just another foul, but it's a foul that, if unaddressed, would severely damage the sport. Those who use this exploit know they are abusing a bug that, if unaddressed, would make the game unacceptable to most of us.

Back