Possible new bug: blinking braking indicator

• Thread starter HellzFire
  • 185 comments
I think they mean different things, but okay.

Glitch. Bug. Exploit.

So, let's say Lewis Hamilton set track records while dragging his brakes...?

And then?

I am not sure that would be possible. Did you notice in the game with the W08 as soon as you activate the brakes the car goes to zero throttle regardless of gas pedal position? It could be a function of the hybrid system and regenerative braking. Also if you do that with you road car and you have an automatic your torque converter will unlock costing you fuel mileage. Last but not least this would never add speed to a car in real life. I raced in real life for over 20 years, there are times a driver may use a little brake on corner exit to control wheel spin but it is never something one would do for most of a lap, even dragging the brakes slightly would cause massive overheating because they would never have time to cool.

He isn’t doing that, what a dumb argument.
I could have used anyone's name...

And no, it's not dumb. It does happen in real race cars. Believe it or not.

But no, not on straights because of course that would be dumb.

Traction control?

Last edited:
You're an angry fella to even bother saying FFS.

I'm done.

internet acronyms hardly represent emotion fully you realise? you really think every 'lol' is typed by someone laughing out loud? or every 'lmao' is typed by someone by someone laughing so hard that their ass comes off? or every 'ffs' is typed by someone seething and frothing?

Drive with two feet. Floor it a lot. Drag brakes. Balance it all out.

I didn't know this would be such a conversation or I wouldn't have made a comment..

Sorry guys. 👍
But not on the straights right? (Dragging brakes) Because that shouldn’t be quicker should it.

... And no, it's not dumb. It does happen in real race cars. Believe it or not. ...

Hey Cory, I've never raced irl ( except my Yaris to the tobacco shop ) but I'm sure you know what you're talking about. The difference is it's been your skill, your feet that made your Civic go faster ... and not a piece of cardboard or tape.

A bit off topic : I just finished the third sector of Catalunya track experience. I'm using ABS standard only and achieved a 38.1xx. I'm very pleased with that time. I would have loved to compare to some top drivers and I expected a gap of a couple of tenths, but all I saw was some very clever idiots who've found a way through the barriers, 2 or 3 seconds quicker. Isn't it a nice trick ? Then I got suspicious and assumed that some of them also have a ... back on topic now ... blinking braking indicator - could be very helpful with that car on that track.
Thing is, that suspicion will follow me into every race I'll probably take part in. Bad luck I guess, no fun for sure. Great times for clever Dicks.

Sadly I have read this whole thread :-(

I just wish all of you would put the same amount of effort into trying to stop people corner cutting, going outside of the track limits and wall riding. The same excuse is used for all those too "The game let's me do it!"

Don't even get me started on the penalty fiasco >:-(

A lot of time and effort going into something that is ultimately a PD problem that they may or may not fix. And for anyone contemplating doing it, just go for it, PD cannot/will not ban you for using your brake in *ANY* fashion you desire!

BTW I will not do it and I respect track limits hence I no longer race in Sport events.

My $0.02 worth

I think they mean different things, but okay.

Glitch. Bug. Exploit.

So, let's say Lewis Hamilton set track records while dragging his brakes...?

And then?

If you imagine a Venn Diagram (google it if you don't know), one circle is a bug, and the other is an exploit. There is an area of intersection in the middle.

Bug - something that the devs don't intend, but causes no harm to game progression (basically just a novelty/curiosity factor). Example would be being able to use photomode filters during a race (not a bug in GTS, but has been possible in GT6).

Exploit - something that gives an advantage that's not in the "spirit of the rules" but still within the game limits. Examples like abusing the track limits at RBR, or the excessive slip angle usage back in GT6 GT Academy top times...

Bug & exploit - this thread.

Makes sense?

Why the angst over an exploit that is now common knowledge and easy to do yourself? We are now back to the level playing field, which is all that matters. PD may fix it or not. As long as it quickly becomes the new de facto, no harm, no foul. I can sympathize with those that have lost out on a few races while those in the know got away with it, but what did they lose, ultimately? Pride? It's not like TRL_Lightning didn't make the finals because some noob stuck paper on his brake pedal.

We all know the exploit, and should all use it until fixed (if ever). That's racing!

Problem is it's not easy to use, and it's not as apparent as track limit abuse if you don't look for it in the replays. I tried using the cardboard trick and the analog triggers method and can't get the sweet spot right. Lucky me for having pedals and controller with no deadzones yay!

As long as there are players in the dark about this or can't use it (like anyone without a wheel), it's not going to be a level playing field.

There's no physical loss per se, but the effort and time expended by those who don't use it, and still lost to those who use it, is what rankles.

The entire glitch people are doing isn't wise. I've seen people in the top in Daily Race A during last week in the high 46 and very low 47. There was an Irish driver (from my country) who didn't use the glitch. But the person who was the quickest never saved his replay. 2nd and 3rd did and they used the glitch. This glitch doesn't help anyone. It only helps your qualifying time. The race is completely different. Even if you set the fastest lap each race for using the glitch, it's possible for someone to punt you off for either getting on their nerve or they just simply want to stop the quick drivers getting away. I'm not disagreeing with any of these arguments. Everyone has a good point. Cardboard or tape is prpbably helping. But I don't know how excatly you get either of those items to pull the brake trigger on the pad back. Doesn't matter. What I'm saying is, if you're a pole sitter for using the glitch, don't expect yourself to win. I hope that they fix it too. We've had enough bugs for a 1 year 2 month release of a game.

This new exploit is just another item shining a light on the state of the gaming industry in general and the negative pressures of commercial reality, on the quality of products released.

How hard can it be for developers to find these things out and fix them, before releasing a game? There is this thing called software testing, pre-release.
This glitch was discovered several weeks ago but is no in full use. So, it has nothing to do with the latest update, maybe it was in the game since release. And yet you claim it should have been found pre-release and even imply that it should be easy to find.

Why do I get the feeling you know nothing about software development and/or in a broader sense, quality control?

The entire glitch people are doing isn't wise. I've seen people in the top in Daily Race A during last week in the high 46 and very low 47. There was an Irish driver (from my country) who didn't use the glitch. But the person who was the quickest never saved his replay. 2nd and 3rd did and they used the glitch. This glitch doesn't help anyone. It only helps your qualifying time. The race is completely different. Even if you set the fastest lap each race for using the glitch, it's possible for someone to punt you off for either getting on their nerve or they just simply want to stop the quick drivers getting away. I'm not disagreeing with any of these arguments. Everyone has a good point. Cardboard or tape is prpbably helping. But I don't know how excatly you get either of those items to pull the brake trigger on the pad back. Doesn't matter. What I'm saying is, if you're a pole sitter for using the glitch, don't expect yourself to win. I hope that they fix it too. We've had enough bugs for a 1 year 2 month release of a game.

Disagree with you. This exploit gives people potentially half a second in a 47s laptime track, using it in the race with 10 laps of length would give him 5s. How does this dont help in the race?

There's not a lot of extra effort to get the exploit going. It doesn't affect your driving at all.

... This glitch doesn't help anyone. It only helps your qualifying time. The race is completely different. ...

It doesn't save you from being punted of course. I've experienced racing against an exploiter though and believe me, it can help big time.

This glitch was discovered several weeks ago but is no in full use. So, it has nothing to do with the latest update, maybe it was in the game since release. And yet you claim it should have been found pre-release and even imply that it should be easy to find. ...

It's in the game since day 1. It's not even a bug. It's the way Braking, ABS System ( and the Tire Model probably ) are designed and programmed. PD's "error" was they didn't foresee people to discover that weak point within and exploiting it.
Just my 2 ct worth
:sly: ...

or, as @Lazybike mentioned

The problems not in the game, it's in the players.

One lucky thing is if I decide I need to use the braking defect in the game it is simply spinning a threaded adjuster on my Fanatec V3 load cell pedals. Fanatec must have envisioned a use for a brake adjuster when they built the pedal set. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Disagree with you. This exploit gives people potentially half a second in a 47s laptime track, using it in the race with 10 laps of length would give him 5s.
This glitch does not excatly help much. You use the glitch to put in a lap time, you end up on pole, you can always get punted into turn one. Especially if it's a sharp corner like Spa, which will be added in early 2019. The glitch is helping the qualifying. Not the race. You can agree or disagree but what I see is is that once someone uses the glitch to set a lap time, it's for qualifying. The race can be a whole different story. Top-Split lobbies don't have people doing the glitch (not many or any ( I hope)) so I don't see what can be wrong. It's in lower lobbies people use the glitch. I don't know if this bug works in the race. If it does, don't see the benefit still.

This glitch does not excatly help much. You use the glitch to put in a lap time, you end up on pole, you can always get punted into turn one. Especially if it's a sharp corner like Spa, which will be added in early 2019. The glitch is helping the qualifying. Not the race. You can agree or disagree but what I see is is that once someone uses the glitch to set a lap time, it's for qualifying. The race can be a whole different story. Top-Split lobbies don't have people doing the glitch (not many or any ( I hope)) so I don't see what can be wrong. It's in lower lobbies people use the glitch. I don't know if this bug works in the race. If it does, don't see the benefit still.

I only saw 1 person abusing this glitch a little earlier today in Race A on the US top 10. It was a DR/D driver that was in 8th or 9th. Everyone else above him I watched and they were legit.

I only saw 1 person abusing this glitch a little earlier today in Race A on the US top 10. It was a DR/D driver that was in 8th or 9th. Everyone else above him I watched and they were legit.
Low ranked drivers are going to do this in EMEA, Asia and America. I wonder what would they do if they entered the world finals. What glitch would they use? The new bug is something I don't think Polyphony is going to fix. The drivers don't want to race as if this is real life, it's their choice. Whilst the rest of us would rather be clean drivers hoping to become a world champion in GT Sport for amazing clean driving.

I can't see how anyone could think it won't help much in a race, I mean if anything it'll be an even bigger benefit in the race. One of the most important things if you are battling other cars is how fast you can go on any longish straight, this glitch gives anyone doing it a free boost in power, how can that not be a massive unfair advantage.

At least in qualifying you might be able to out drive someone doing this, although that depends on how good the cheater would be otherwise and how good you are but come race time this extra boost along with the slipstream is going to give them a great chance of sticking with you even if they are not quick enough to pass you, that's hardly fair for the real fast guy or for the other runners wondering how the guy in front keeps blasting away on the straights.

If you don't think 5s faster total time isn't an advantage, then fair enough.

When you do the glitch properly, it's a MASSIVE advantage, in whichever race condition the glitcher is on.

Back