Post any oddities you've noticed in GT 2

• Thread starter cerbera
  • 934 comments
They missed a bunch of things in the tuning screen ...

Spring rates are listed in lbs/in, but it's really in kg/mm ...
Height is listed in inches, when it's really in mm ...
Power is listed in hp, when it's really in ps ...
Torque is listed in kg-m, when it should be in lb-ft, but at least the value is accurate ;)

So, basically, they converted the units, but forgot to convert the values ;)

Jmac279
They missed a bunch of things in the tuning screen ...

Spring rates are listed in lbs/in, but it's really in kg/mm ...
Height is listed in inches, when it's really in mm ...
Power is listed in hp, when it's really in ps ...
Torque is listed in kg-m, when it should be in lb-ft, but at least the value is accurate ;)

So, basically, they converted the units, but forgot to convert the values ;)

That would tie in with it being a rushed job to capture the American Christmas market.

Can't you just picture a bunch of folks sweating over their computers....munching on rice crackers and leftover lo mein noodles while the deadline to get their latest ‘project’ done (GT2) looms over their heads? They haven't seen their pets, their kids, their lovers for weeks (not counting the time the run home for a quick nap). Sleep deprivation is setting in, some of them wish they had tried an easier career...like being a fireman.

This is what it's like being a programmer. I'll bet all the typos, glitches, and errors in the game are mostly due to time pressures and miscommunication, stuff like that...

Parnelli Bone
Can't you just picture a bunch of folks sweating over their computers....munching on rice crackers and leftover lo mein noodles while the deadline to get their latest ‘project’ done (GT2) looms over their heads? They haven't seen their pets, their kids, their lovers for weeks (not counting the time the run home for a quick nap). Sleep deprivation is setting in, some of them wish they had tried an easier career...like being a fireman.

This is what it's like being a programmer. I'll bet all the typos, glitches, and errors in the game are mostly due to time pressures and miscommunication, stuff like that...
Please, Tell me more! :ill: :guilty: :indiff: :scared: :( :nervous: :( :odd: :boggled: :nervous:

None of the class-type races are actually limited to that class (ie, historic, muscle car, wagon), you can drive whatever car you like as long as it's in the HP limit.

blue_sharky39
My Mini Cooper 1.3 has no spring rate!!! So that would mean the car has no springs!!!
All the mini freaks on here and I'm the one to answer this?
It's true, mini's have no springs, just squishy rubber dealies.

Parnelli Bone

That's still no excuse for shoddy workmanship. That does excuse the odd mistake and glitch but there are so many in GT2 it's like they gave it to the 2nd team to finish cause they were working on something else.

You all have good points. They could probly do a reality show on game programmers some day...i know i'd watch.

The Mini: it's called a hydrolastic suspension. The Mini only has about 4" of ground clearance which is why it's such a great slalom car and handles well in the game even before you add a better suspension. I tend to race my Minis with normal tires up front and sports in the back cuz i noticed they like to slide alot but have tons of grip up front.

The Acura Integra GS-Rs have the following gear ratios stock ...

1st - 3.230
2nd - 1.900
3rd - 1.360
4th - 1.340

5th - 0.787
Final - 4.400

The Honda Logo TS is only available with an Automatic transmission ...

Jmac279
The Acura Integra GS-Rs have the following gear ratios stock ...

1st - 3.230
2nd - 1.900
3rd - 1.360
4th - 1.340

5th - 0.787
Final - 4.400

The Honda Logo TS is only available with an Automatic transmission ...

YUP!! man i forgot about this one...There's like no difference betweeen 3rd and 4th gear in an Acura GS-R! And then 5th is like waaaay too tall.

Yup ...

And with an 8000 RPM rev-limiter stock ...

8000*1.34/1.36 = 7882 RPM :)

Basically, once you switch gears, you're bouncing off the rev limiter :-P

Then 4th into 5th is ...

8000*0.787/1.34 = 4699 RPM

It's acutally supposed to be ...
http://www.gs-r.com/speclist.html

3rd = 1.360
4th = 1.034
5th = 0.787

But PD must've missed the 0, resulting in very poor performance with the stock tranmission ;)

Jmac279
Yup ...

And with an 8000 RPM rev-limiter stock ...

8000*1.34/1.36 = 7882 RPM :)

Basically, once you switch gears, you're bouncing off the rev limiter :-P

Then 4th into 5th is ...

8000*0.787/1.34 = 4699 RPM

It's acutally supposed to be ...
http://www.gs-r.com/speclist.html

3rd = 1.360
4th = 1.034
5th = 0.787

But PD must've missed the 0, resulting in very poor performance with the stock tranmission ;)

Basically Keichi (dude in charge of programming gear ratios) was having a clandestine affair with one of the 3rd shift maids and during one of their quickies he put a 3 where a 0 should have been. Sorry, bad joke.

The Golf V6, despite being rated @ 201 hp in the dealership, is only 147 hp and has the EXACT same torque/power curve, dimensions, weight, aerodynamics, and suspension as the V5 ... In other words, for the extra $7,170 you get the EXACT same car ... 👎

Then there's the Dodge Stratus ...

Rated - 167 hp @ 4000 RPM, 125.1 lb-ft @ 5500 RPM
Actual - 100 hp @ 4700 RPM, 124.4 lb-ft @ 3900 RPM

Ouch ...

Displacement is only available to :

Minis
Civics
Skylines
Stageas

There may be more, that's just all I can remember ...

Pretty stupid that's it's in the game but so exclusive ... Same with Yaw Control ...

Yeah, the Cougar is like that, too...basically the '98 & '99 model years have the exact same specifications. Even after upgrades, neither car has any advantage over the other, yet the '98 car winds up being thousands of credits cheaper. Talk about dealership swindeling...

gt2glitch4nx.jpg

:dopey:

If you do a really long arcade race at Midfield, and happen to be in the lead, eventually you'll be able to see other cars above you as you go under the bridge! Also if you race at Autumn Ring or Route 5 this can happen...you'll see a bit of the car right thru the walls, basically! It's like X-ray vision.

Jmac279
Displacement is only available to :

Minis
Civics
Skylines
Stageas

There may be more, that's just all I can remember ...

Pretty stupid that's it's in the game but so exclusive ... Same with Yaw Control ...
That's because AYC is a trademark of Mitsubishi.
I don't know what they were thinking with the displacement mod though. There are probably dozens more cars in the game that can easily have their displacement increased easily in real life.

Yeah. That's one thing I never understood is the lack of cars that have the displacement up option available. It sucks cause that's like one of the best upgrades other than a turbo...

Emohawk
That's because AYC is a trademark of Mitsubishi.
I don't know what they were thinking with the displacement mod though. There are probably dozens more cars in the game that can easily have their displacement increased easily in real life.

Basically any car can have its diplacement increased in real life, as long as the cylinder walls between the pistons are thick enough to handle the wear & tear. I was pretty shocked to learn that NONE of the muscle cars in GT2 can take a displacement increase. i was like: ‘What???@!?@!@#(#*!

I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the crank and con rods from a larger version of the engine, but I don't actually know if it's bore or stroke (or both) that get changed in the cars that can take the mod.

Emohawk
I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the crank and con rods from a larger version of the engine, but I don't actually know if it's bore or stroke (or both) that get changed in the cars that can take the mod.

Well i was talking about bore...sounds like you're talking about stroke. Either bore or stroke (or both) could be performed to make an increase.

Either one would be fairly simple, although you can usually gain more displacement through adding stroke than you can adding bore (depending on how thick the walls are between the cylinders and how tall the block is) ...

I would imagine boring out an engine like the 2ZZ-GE (Celica GT-S) would cause severe problems ...

Skylines and Stageas share an engine, which I'm pretty sure gets stroked rather then bored*, so I'm just making the assumption that that's what the displacement up does. Also, it's a lot easier to do if/when a stroked version of the engine is availible. (ex: Celica XX -> MkIII Supra Turbo, MkIII Supra GT twinturbo -> MkIV Supra SZ)
Any Civic or Mini fans that want to fill in the blanks?

*Random person: Everyone is well aware of the jokes that can go here, so no need to post 'em, kay? ;)
:lol:

Back