Post your bike!

Schwinn Homegrown - I actually sold it on eBay last week. :indiff:

brianhomegrown4hl.jpg

I bought a Gary Fisher Opie (hardtail) earlier this year and that thing is a blast. I really wished I would have forked out like $200 and got the upgraded version, the Mullet. The frame is awesome but the components kinda suck. I bought new pedals a couple days after I bought it. A couple weeks later the handlebars were bent down so far I couldn't even ride it so I bought some new bars. I bent the rims fairly bad but I was able to get them trued so now I'm just gonna take it easy until I can afford some stronger rims. My favorite thing to do is to take it to the steepest gnarliest woods I can find and see how long I can last without hitting a tree. Gawd mountain biking is fun, but so damn expensive.
(not my actual bike, a pic I found online of it)
opiel.jpg

Wow, I never noticed this thread before. :dunce:

i'm currently saving up for a Land Rover Kanaha:
kanaha7dh.jpg

Yes, i know, it's a Land Rover, but I've heard some great things about it and for the price the spec looks pretty unbeatable. Plus I love the way it looks. :sly:

My favourite bike I ever had was a black and yellow Saracen Oxide. It was far too bouncy and twitchy and had 24" rims, but I loved bombing through woods and things on it. Unfortunately it's now been demoted to sitting in a caravan in Norfolk for about 6 weeks a year and slowly rusting, but it's still a hoot to ride. My friend and I have great fun racing my poor Saracen and his shonky rigid bike down sand dunes. :D

The only bad memory I have of it was it giving me a permanent scar on my right knee, the result of a particularly poorly mis-timed sidehop up a kerb. :(

average frame and crappy fork, but i upgraded the rest over the time with some nice parts. its a good alrounder for relaxing tours as well as blasts down the trails. 👍

Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc '05
Currently unusuable because the rear derailler got smashed off by the spokes apparently.
Besides that crummy ol' derailleur, that bike can take a beating. Jump it everyday.

Raghavan
Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc '05
Currently unusuable because the rear derailler got smashed off by the spokes apparently.
Besides that crummy ol' derailleur, that bike can take a beating. Jump it everyday.
Can you post a picture?

I was looking at one of those but have had to look up the ladder because I didn't think it would be hard enough. How do you find yours? What kind of riding do you do?

Also, I've had that derallieur vs. spokes thing on my current bike. :yuck: Had to carry my bike for about 30mins out of the forrest...

I have the Pro Disc. My frame creaks from flexing when I sit and pedal. I am going to end up snapping the frame and it's gonna hurt but I'll make due.

I would LIKE to get a Nemesis Project frame....... from Nemesis Cycles.

:(
Bad news, my bikes been stolen!!
I'm not sure when it was taken but it was probably during the weekend while we were away at Birmingham for a birthday. It was in my garage at the time which we usually lock but my younger brother is really careless and is always in and out of there so i think he left the door unlocked.
Here's the only pic i have of it, taken with a crappy phone:

Anyway, my advice to you is to always lock up your bike and don't flash it around. I feel kind of angry knowing i cant have a nice bike just because of the area i live in.

Slick Rick
:(
Bad news, my bikes been stolen!!
I'm not sure when it was taken but it was probably during the weekend while we were away at Birmingham for a birthday. It was in my garage at the time which we usually lock but my younger brother is really careless and is always in and out of there so i think he left the door unlocked.
Here's the only pic i have of it, taken with a crappy phone:

... image ...

Anyway, my advice to you is to always lock up your bike and don't flash it around. I feel kind of angry knowing i cant have a nice bike just because of the area i live in.
I feel for you dude. Having anything stolen sucks!

I ride my bike at least every two days, and if it were to get nicked I'd be gutted.

Will you get insurance? A newer, better bike on the way for you?

no insurance, it wasnt new when i bought it. Its not the end of the world though because i still have around £300 left from my birthday and in the past year ive been getting to grips with ebay so im hoping i can get a good deal there...

I've got a titanium GT Karakoram like this one.

It's just a pity titanium is the colour.... It's made from plain old steel.

EDITED with picture of my bike

Attachments

• karakoram.JPG
    karakoram.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 183
Never heard of it. I figured I should make an update here.

Snapped the chainstay on my Hardrock. Wouldn't warrantee it. Bike shop owner had guaranteed the bike would hold up so he gave me $750.

Went and bought a Specialized P.1 Cro-Mo. I got a Cane Creek Tank headset, Rockshox Pike 426 Coil U Turn, and a new 20mm front hub with DT spokes on my stock Ditchwitch rim.

Wow, all I can say is plusshhhh.... but doesn't bottom out harshly.

X5.
I've seen Saracen bikes before and they aren't too bad, seem to be a decent brand 👍

Well that's good news because i picked mine up today from ebay, here's a pic of a new one:

The one i got is a year old ill post a picture of actual bike tomorrow and fill you guys in with the details;)

In a way, im glad my old bike got stolen because now i have a much better one spending roughly the same money. I cant wait to try it in the countryside.

here it is :D:

I took it for a quick ride on the road today and noticed a few things: the disk brake is slightly buckled, the disk brake is also not very strong it doesn't feel like it has bite when you press it if you know what i mean.. and i dont feel too confident going round corners fast i can feel the front wheel slipping, maybe i just need to get used to my bike and lastly the large gears connected to the pedals need slight adjusting. The guy i bought it off seemed a bit of a bike enthusiast and he told me he took it to Wales to compete in a race so i can understand why its got a few kinks. You can see from the pic in the previous post that he's replaced the handlebar bracket and also bought some cool blue pedals for it which is good:tup: This week im going to buy a bike lock(obviously!:dunce:) and i need to buy a cheap speedo with the same bracket as my old one because the computer wasnt with the bike when it was stolen. I think ive found a suitable speedo on ebay already!

btw the bike cost £120 which is $209 and the rrp is £270-£300 so not a bad deal but not a bargain!

If any of you have disk brakes, Are yours strong i.e stronger than v brakes and is there anything you do to them to keep them maintained and working properly. Thanks!

Slick Rick
... If any of you have disk brakes, Are yours strong i.e stronger than v brakes and is there anything you do to them to keep them maintained and working properly. Thanks!
Yeah, they should be strong. I take it they're mechanical (cable operated) and not hydraulic?

Are they new though, or new pads at least? If so they will need to be bedded in - or burnishing as they call it. You'll need to work the top, 'glazed' layer off the pad and the disk. This can take a week or so depending on how much you ride it and how much heavy stopping you do.

You say the front disk is buckled? How so? Do you have a picture? This could be the source of your brake-fade. If it is buckeled, might have to look at replacing it - it's just a screw on part so isn't difficult to change. I've no idea what they cost though... :indiff:

As for maintenance, I never do anything to mine. I hose my bike down when I come back from a ride - to get all the mud/dust off - but I don't perform any specific maintenance on my brakes. When the cable gets stretched and the brakes go soft I'll either tighten it myself or take it to the shop. When that happens it's usually time for a service anyway.

Ive been in the garage for 2 hours trying to fix the disk brake:indiff:
Here's what i did: First i took the brake unit off and cleaned it in soapy water and then spun the wheel with the disk part still on. While the wheel was spinning i got a marker and held it up to the disk so it just brushed the disk. Where the marker's mark was thin i used some pliers and bent that part of the disk away from the wheel. I then cleaned off the marker and started again until the mark made by the marker was even all the way round the disk. Next i got some strong cellulose thinners and cleaned the disk and the pads to dissolve any grease. Finally i put all the parts back together and adjusted the brake cable and position.
I took the bike for a spin and it is much better than before, the brake is much sharper now but still isn't completely straight so i cant have the pads running too close to the disk.
Im exhausted and ive got cuts all over my hands so now im going to take a well earned break ;)

Slick Rick
Ive been in the garage for 2 hours trying to fix the disk brake:indiff:
Here's what i did: First i took the brake unit off and cleaned it in soapy water and then spun the wheel with the disk part still on. While the wheel was spinning i got a marker and held it up to the disk so it just brushed the disk. Where the marker's mark was thin i used some pliers and bent that part of the disk away from the wheel. I then cleaned off the marker and started again until the mark made by the marker was even all the way round the disk. Next i got some strong cellulose thinners and cleaned the disk and the pads to dissolve any grease. Finally i put all the parts back together and adjusted the brake cable and position.
I took the bike for a spin and it is much better than before, the brake is much sharper now but still isn't completely straight so i cant have the pads running too close to the disk.
Im exhausted and ive got cuts all over my hands so now im going to take a well earned break ;)
Good job. 👍

I'd have just taken mine to the shop... :indiff:

Nice work Slick. Haven't had much experience with Disc Brakes but it seems you know your stuff! My Falcon Colorado (Pics above somewhere) has a similar problem to yours. The front brakes are nice and sharp but the rear ones aren't as i cannot place the pads too close to the tyre for fear of rubbing, sad thing is my back tyre isn't even buckled. :grumpy:

attachment.php

Photo of my bike. It was a nice day, so I decided to cycle to work. Photo courtesy of my iPAQ camera.

Back