Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Looks like the game is at 1080p on PS4 pro, for those wondering.

It isn't, did he state that in the video?

Compared to standard PS4:

PS4 Pro has increased graphics fidelity across the board.
It runs at a higher resolution, currently it is 2560 X 1440 which is sometimes referred to as 2.5k which is upscaling beautifully to 4k.
It has:
Extra track detail meshes.
Increased level of detail on cars, track objects, grass etc.
Increased detail and resolution with shadow rendering.
Increased detail and resolution with reflection rendering.

There, you got it out of me and heard it here first :)

It runs at a higher resolution, currently it is 2560 X 1440 which is sometimes referred to as 2.5k which is upscaling beautifully to 4k.
It has:

What is "extra track detail meshes"?

I have a PS4 Slim. Am I not getting a proper representation of the game or is the PS4 Pro stuff just icing on an already beautifully finished cake?

What is "extra track detail meshes"?

I have a PS4 Slim. Am I not getting a proper representation of the game or is the PS4 Pro stuff just icing on an already beautifully finished cake?

No, we run the driving surface at the same detail on every product. We call the whole environment a 'track'. So we'd reduce things like peripheral detailing on terrain. LOD in high detail tree meshes a little later. Things like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

It has:

As someone who owns both standard ps4 and a ps4 pro, is there any gameplay performance boost using the pro or will it run the same on both versions ? I'm only asking as the standard ps4 is hooked up to my driving rig, and the pro is in another room with the 4k tv, I'm just wondering whether it would be worth my while messing about moving the pro every time I play pCars 2 ?
I'm more interested in the way the experience feels than I am about the scenery in a driving game.

When those were printed we didn't know what resolution we'd hit on Pro... Truth :)

Since you're spilling the beans, can we get the resolution and framerate for the Xbox One X? :sly:

I still haven't made up my mind on getting it for the X1X or PC.... Truth

Since you're spilling the beans, can we get the resolution and framerate for the Xbox One X? :sly:

I still haven't made up my mind on getting it for the X1X or PC.... Truth
If you have quite a bit of money, get the PC. If you have a little less money get X1X. Simple.

It has:

Can we expect all those above + downsampling if we are using PS4 Pro with 1080p tv? :cheers::confused:

Its a question that has been answered multiple times, in multiple threads.

An embargo is in place until the 18th, and SMS and BN have a marketing plan that is not going to shift just to satisfy the demands of a few.
Don't want to argue, but just to clarify: He seemed to imply that someone was actively trying to put his game down by asking obnoxious questions, which didn't seem justified to me as there really were issues when the first game released.

I'm not asking anyone to answer the same question ten times or to lift an embargo just to prove a point. Just ... if he answers, then I don't think this way was recommendable.

However, he did a great job explaining things in the other thread.

As someone who owns both standard ps4 and a ps4 pro, is there any gameplay performance boost using the pro or will it run the same on both versions ? I'm only asking as the standard ps4 is hooked up to my driving rig, and the pro is in another room with the 4k tv, I'm just wondering whether it would be worth my while messing about moving the pro every time I play pCars 2 ?
I'm more interested in the way the experience feels than I am about the scenery in a driving game.

Haha pretty funny but I am (or will be) in the exact same boat when the X1X is out, but then on the XBox One platform. Standard XBox One on my racing rig in my gaming room and X1X on my 4K HDR TV in my living room. :)

Cheers! :)

I am sure 4K is nice in general, but one other thing seems hugely more relevant in our case... I've been having same "problems" :D as you so I've read a lot recently and basicaly everyone - majority of developers, gamers, journalist - agree that right now HDR is the beast that shines. On this gen consoles there's really 2K upscalled, nice, but hard to see even from more then 3 feet (for 2k). While HDR is just right there from any vievable distance!

That's why I asked @IanBell and @The_American to say at least 2-3 sentences on HDR! Even today on this page there is plenty of info on so many OTHER aspects and zero on HDR.
And HDR development is costly and work-time and effort consuming - it deserved to be boasted about! It deserves... so, please just 2-3 sentences like - when did you make a descision to go HDR, how demanding was it for those heroes at SMS that work on visuals, assets, etc.

Here is the link to very recent "PC GAMER" article: http://www.pcgamer.com/is-hdr-worth-the-premium-for-pc-gaming/
And my other post where I quoted just a few bits of it relevant to us, nothing more.
On which system will you play PCars2?

Thanks, see ya :bowdown::gtpflag:

It has:

Us 1080p owners getting super sampling?

No, we run the driving surface at the same detail on every product. We call the whole environment a 'track'. So we'd reduce things like peripheral detailing on terrain. LOD in high detail tree meshes a little later. Things like that.
@IanBell I'm sorry if you answered my question and I don't understand the technical jargon. What is LOD, and again what does "meshes" mean? You probably know by now from my questions that I'm just a curious creature and nothing will deter me.

I've been playing on a 32" 720p HDTV and I've never complained too much, so if I upgrade to 1080p even without a PS4 Pro it will be even better. Then add a PS4 Pro and that's just a bonus. A very expensive bonus.

@IanBell I'm sorry if you answered my question and I don't understand the technical jargon. What is LOD, and again what does "meshes" mean? You probably know by now from my questions that I'm just a curious creature and nothing will deter me.

I've been playing on a 32" 720p HDTV and I've never complained too much, so if I upgrade to 1080p even without a PS4 Pro it will be even better. Then add a PS4 Pro and that's just a bonus. A very expensive bonus.
LOD is basically a level to which a game object is detailed. Higher LODs use more polygons, which makes objects look more detailed and realistic but cost more processing power.

What about mesh though?

It's pretty much the frame of a 3d model.

477_tid_3dtotal_Leviathan_01.jpg

It has:

Do you CB to 4k or just regular upscaling. Impressive PS4 Pro implementation either way. Guessing downsampling is in as well?

Collectors edition looks stunning, really well put together and of very high quality.

Why is it always the first people to get their hands on it record such crap and low quality videos though. Such a shame, but cant wait for Friday now.

I am sure 4K is nice in general, but one other thing seems hugely more relevant in our case... I've been having same "problems" :D as you so I've read a lot recently and basicaly everyone - majority of developers, gamers, journalist - agree that right now HDR is the beast that shines. On this gen consoles there's really 2K upscalled, nice, but hard to see even from more then 3 feet (for 2k). While HDR is just right there from any vievable distance!

That's why I asked @IanBell and @The_American to say at least 2-3 sentences on HDR! Even today on this page there is plenty of info on so many OTHER aspects and zero on HDR.
And HDR development is costly and work-time and effort consuming - it deserved to be boasted about! It deserves... so, please just 2-3 sentences like - when did you make a descision to go HDR, how demanding was it for those heroes at SMS that work on visuals, assets, etc.

Here is the link to very recent "PC GAMER" article: http://www.pcgamer.com/is-hdr-worth-the-premium-for-pc-gaming/
And my other post where I quoted just a few bits of it relevant to us, nothing more.
On which system will you play PCars2?

Thanks, see ya :bowdown::gtpflag:

My main TV in my lounge which my ps4 pro is plugged into is a Sony 4K HDR tv which when playing a game optimised for the ps4 pro is quite frankly pretty awe inspiring, but for a racing game the scenery is, to me, a secondary consideration. When I'm sat at the wheel on my rig the immersion is in how the game feels through the wheel in my hands, the only thing I'm really looking at is the apex of the corner or a way past the car in front of me, so my question wasn't about how it looks on the pro, it was about if there's any performance benefit in the way the game runs to make it worth my while disconnecting it from one tv and taking it through to the room my racing rig is in every time I play it.

Can we expect all those above + downsampling if we are using PS4 Pro with 1080p tv? :cheers::confused:
Good occasion to log back into this site. Would like to know that as well. I don't see why it wouldn't supersample it most games released post PS4 Pro do it.

Latest Posts

Back