Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

Discussion in 'Project CARS 2' started by jake2013guy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. IanBell

IanBell Premium

It isn't, did he state that in the video?

Compared to standard PS4:

PS4 Pro has increased graphics fidelity across the board.
    It runs at a higher resolution, currently it is 2560 X 1440 which is sometimes referred to as 2.5k which is upscaling beautifully to 4k.
    It has:
    Extra track detail meshes.
    Increased level of detail on cars, track objects, grass etc.
    Increased detail and resolution with shadow rendering.
    Increased detail and resolution with reflection rendering.

There, you got it out of me and heard it here first :)

2. c172fccc

c172fccc

He didn't. I think that @FuriousDemon got that from reading the video output section on the back of the box.

3. DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09 (Banned)

I would assume its in 1080p on all PS4s

4. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

Exactly. Well, something good came out of it :) Wonder what PC equivalent settings would be for PS4 pros.

5. DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09 (Banned)

What is "extra track detail meshes"?

I have a PS4 Slim. Am I not getting a proper representation of the game or is the PS4 Pro stuff just icing on an already beautifully finished cake?

6. IanBell

IanBell Premium

No, we run the driving surface at the same detail on every product. We call the whole environment a 'track'. So we'd reduce things like peripheral detailing on terrain. LOD in high detail tree meshes a little later. Things like that.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    JohnScoonsBeard and John Wells like this.
  7. IanBell

IanBell Premium

When those were printed we didn't know what resolution we'd hit on Pro... Truth :)

8. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard

As someone who owns both standard ps4 and a ps4 pro, is there any gameplay performance boost using the pro or will it run the same on both versions ? I'm only asking as the standard ps4 is hooked up to my driving rig, and the pro is in another room with the 4k tv, I'm just wondering whether it would be worth my while messing about moving the pro every time I play pCars 2 ?
    I'm more interested in the way the experience feels than I am about the scenery in a driving game.

9. AllReD

AllReD

Since you're spilling the beans, can we get the resolution and framerate for the Xbox One X? :sly:

I still haven't made up my mind on getting it for the X1X or PC.... Truth

10. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

If you have quite a bit of money, get the PC. If you have a little less money get X1X. Simple.

11. Gr4ndy

Gr4ndy

Can we expect all those above + downsampling if we are using PS4 Pro with 1080p tv? :cheers::confused:

12. Dicra

Dicra

Don't want to argue, but just to clarify: He seemed to imply that someone was actively trying to put his game down by asking obnoxious questions, which didn't seem justified to me as there really were issues when the first game released.

I'm not asking anyone to answer the same question ten times or to lift an embargo just to prove a point. Just ... if he answers, then I don't think this way was recommendable.

However, he did a great job explaining things in the other thread.

PhaedrusSocrate likes this.
  13. breyzipp

breyzipp

Haha pretty funny but I am (or will be) in the exact same boat when the X1X is out, but then on the XBox One platform. Standard XBox One on my racing rig in my gaming room and X1X on my 4K HDR TV in my living room. :)

Cheers! :)

14. PhaedrusSocrate

PhaedrusSocrate (Banned)

I am sure 4K is nice in general, but one other thing seems hugely more relevant in our case... I've been having same "problems" :D as you so I've read a lot recently and basicaly everyone - majority of developers, gamers, journalist - agree that right now HDR is the beast that shines. On this gen consoles there's really 2K upscalled, nice, but hard to see even from more then 3 feet (for 2k). While HDR is just right there from any vievable distance!

That's why I asked @IanBell and @The_American to say at least 2-3 sentences on HDR! Even today on this page there is plenty of info on so many OTHER aspects and zero on HDR.
    And HDR development is costly and work-time and effort consuming - it deserved to be boasted about! It deserves... so, please just 2-3 sentences like - when did you make a descision to go HDR, how demanding was it for those heroes at SMS that work on visuals, assets, etc.

Here is the link to very recent "PC GAMER" article: http://www.pcgamer.com/is-hdr-worth-the-premium-for-pc-gaming/
    And my other post where I quoted just a few bits of it relevant to us, nothing more.
    On which system will you play PCars2?

Thanks, see ya :bowdown::gtpflag:

15. Spooky Wooky

Spooky Wooky (Banned)

For Amazon Prime UK members, they are currently doing £2 off at the checkout, plus a voucher code for another £5 off, so I paid £34.99 for standard edition.

JohnScoonsBeard and Scaff like this.
  16. Harry Freq

Harry Freq (Banned)

Us 1080p owners getting super sampling?

17. DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09 (Banned)

@IanBell I'm sorry if you answered my question and I don't understand the technical jargon. What is LOD, and again what does "meshes" mean? You probably know by now from my questions that I'm just a curious creature and nothing will deter me.

I've been playing on a 32" 720p HDTV and I've never complained too much, so if I upgrade to 1080p even without a PS4 Pro it will be even better. Then add a PS4 Pro and that's just a bonus. A very expensive bonus.

18. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

LOD is basically a level to which a game object is detailed. Higher LODs use more polygons, which makes objects look more detailed and realistic but cost more processing power.

Gr8_Lakes and F1Racer68 like this.
  19. DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09 (Banned)

I assumed it stood for Level of Detail but he used the word detail again in the same sentence so I wasn't sure.

What about mesh though?

Gr8_Lakes and F1Racer68 like this.
  20. Northstar

Northstar Premium

It's pretty much the frame of a 3d model.

[​IMG]

Gr8_Lakes, ykiki, F1Racer68 and 2 others like this.
  21. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Do you CB to 4k or just regular upscaling. Impressive PS4 Pro implementation either way. Guessing downsampling is in as well?

22. cornishbrooksy

cornishbrooksy

Collectors edition looks stunning, really well put together and of very high quality.

Why is it always the first people to get their hands on it record such crap and low quality videos though. Such a shame, but cant wait for Friday now.

F1Racer68 and Scuderia Paul like this.
  23. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard

My main TV in my lounge which my ps4 pro is plugged into is a Sony 4K HDR tv which when playing a game optimised for the ps4 pro is quite frankly pretty awe inspiring, but for a racing game the scenery is, to me, a secondary consideration. When I'm sat at the wheel on my rig the immersion is in how the game feels through the wheel in my hands, the only thing I'm really looking at is the apex of the corner or a way past the car in front of me, so my question wasn't about how it looks on the pro, it was about if there's any performance benefit in the way the game runs to make it worth my while disconnecting it from one tv and taking it through to the room my racing rig is in every time I play it.

F1Racer68 and PhaedrusSocrate like this.
  24. gladbecker82

gladbecker82

Yeah but not many tvs have HDR capabilities. Atleast not amongst the public. So it really is just a gimmick like 4K right now

25. sunshine2002

sunshine2002

It's always good to see, when "regular player" gets the product before the investor. *sarcasm*

26. amazed

amazed

In what market? Here in the UK there are quite a few HDR TVs if you look for them.

JohnScoonsBeard likes this.
  27. Silent Drifter

Silent Drifter Premium

I wish they could have released The Collectors Edition in North America. Even Amazon.uk can't ship it to the US.

ykiki, tbwhhs and F1Racer68 like this.
  28. sunshine2002

sunshine2002

I don't know what GTplanet this guy lives, but HDR is a standard nowadays. Please go and visit your store someday.

ykiki and amazed like this.
  29. versous

versous

Good occasion to log back into this site. Would like to know that as well. I don't see why it wouldn't supersample it most games released post PS4 Pro do it.

30. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

What a ridiculous statement? 4K and HDR are not a gimmick. They are a great edition to tv sets and will become the norm in the future. GTS and FM7 look significantly better on my 4K HDR OLED than any video I have seen on any other set.

amazed and JohnScoonsBeard like this.