Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Yeah but not many tvs have HDR capabilities. Atleast not amongst the public. So it really is just a gimmick like 4K right now
What a ridiculous statement? 4K and HDR are not a gimmick. They are a great edition to tv sets and will become the norm in the future. GTS and FM7 look significantly better on my 4K HDR OLED than any video I have seen on any other set.

What a ridiculous statement? 4K and HDR are not a gimmick. They are a great edition to tv sets and will become the norm in the future. GTS and FM7 look significantly better on my 4K HDR OLED than any video I have seen on any other set.

And the OLED screen has nothing to do with it? 4K is a gimmick until I can have a 77 inch at a decent price (not close enough to the screen to make any difference to a 1080p.) On the other hand HDR is a real improvement. OLED in itself makes a huge difference if properly calibrated.

Can gtx 1050ti run pCars 2 on medium settings?

Not sure, I was running a R9 290 with Low/Medium settings and the 1050ti is up to 35%-ish slower. But the game looks great even at low settings.
(But I'm not sure what D1P will bring in performance improvements. )

And the OLED screen has nothing to do with it? 4K is a gimmick until I can have a 77 inch at a decent price (not close enough to the screen to make any difference to a 1080p.) On the other hand HDR is a real improvement. OLED in itself makes a huge difference if properly calibrated.
Then your eyes are not as good as mine because there is a big difference in image quality with the 4k monitor on my rig compared to the 1080p monitor I used to have. Which 4K tv/monitor do you have?

Then your eyes are not as good as mine because there is a big difference in image quality with the 4k monitor on my rig compared to the 1080p monitor I used to have. Which 4K tv/monitor do you have?
Since English is not my primary language, I didn't make myself clear. What I think that most people refer to as is the way they have a 1080p TV in their living room. It's all about the distance vs pixel density. If you sit 80cm behind your screen with a 1080p/55 inch screen and change that to a 4K it will make a big difference. At 260 cm (The distance that I have in my living room, don't ask), there is no use of a 4K 55inch. Things like HDR and OLED on the other hand will improve the image a lot more. So depending of the view distance and size of the screen you will or wont have any advantage of a 4K screen, based only on pixels/inch.

Since English is not my primary language, I didn't make myself clear. What I think that most people refer to as is the way they have a 1080p TV in their living room. It's all about the distance vs pixel density. If you sit 80cm behind your screen with a 1080p/55 inch screen and change that to a 4K it will make a big difference. At 260 cm (The distance that I have in my living room, don't ask), there is no use of a 4K 55inch. Things like HDR and OLED on the other hand will improve the image a lot more. So depending of the view distance and size of the screen you will or wont have any advantage of a 4K screen, based only on pixels/inch.
I don't agree with that either. I have a 55" 4K OLED as my main TV which I sit 2 m from. I can watch a football match on Sky and switch between a 1080P picture and a UHD picture. The difference in image quality is significant. On my rig I sit 68 cm from my 40" 4K monitor and the difference compared to my old 40" 1080P monitor is huge.

Anyway, we have pulled this way off topic so lets leave it there.

Last edited:
I don't agree with that either. I have a 55" 4K OLED as my main TV which I sit 2 m from. I can watch a football match on Sky and switch between a 1080P picture and a UHD picture. The difference in image quality is significant. On my rig I sit 68 cm from my 40" 4K monitor and the difference compared to my old 40" 1080P monitor is huge.

At 2m the 55" @ 4K will be better since the optimal distance for a 1080p/55 is about 2.4M, any closer than that and you are seeing pixels. The up-scaling will give you an advantage using 4K. Was it a 4K signal from SKY? If it was then is will be even bigger difference. On 40" at 68cm 4K vs 1080p it should be night and day as you state. Using a new 4K vs an older 1080p will probably have additional benefit, since the new panel should have a better image quality regardless of the resolution.

A good article about 1080p vs 4K

At 2m the 55" @ 4K will be better since the optimal distance for a 1080p/55 is about 2.4M, any closer than that and you are seeing pixels. The up-scaling will give you an advantage using 4K. Was it a 4K signal from SKY? If it was then is will be even bigger difference. On 40" at 68cm 4K vs 1080p it should be night and day as you state. Using a new 4K vs an older 1080p will probably have additional benefit, since the new panel should have a better image quality regardless of the resolution.

A good article about 1080p vs 4K
Yes it's a true 4K source compared to an upscaled 1080p source from Sky. Thanks for the article link 👍

Yes it's a true 4K source compared to an upscaled 1080p source from Sky. Thanks for the article link 👍

Yes, better to stay on topic. I'm watching the WEC COTA race and are so stoked for pCars2. The 22nd can't arrive soon enough.

Last edited:
For those who are not familiar with the PCars 2 countdown thread and those who lived under a rock over the past months ;)

Pcars2 launch in how many days:

5-1 gif.gif

PS: thanks @jake2013guy for the morning inspiration and the livery thread!

Last edited:
Exactly. Well, something good came out of it :) Wonder what PC equivalent settings would be for PS4 pros.

All PS4 games say 1080p at the back of the box. In the PSN store, even native 4K titles are stated as 1080p output, for whatever reason.

Never felt so cheesed off before, I just went to my local GAME to pre-order project cars 2, but they said I can`t because I dont own a mobile phone..WTF
Absolute joke, I was going to get it from amazon, but past experience is I wont get the game on release day ,like I never got GT5 and 6.:mad:

Looks like i`ll have to go to tescos after midnight now..

Last edited:
Never felt so cheesed off before, I just went to my local game to pre-order project cars 2, but they said I can`t because I dont own a mobile phone..WTF
Absolute joke, I was going to get it from amazon, but past experience is I wont get the game on release day ,like I never got GT5 and 6.:mad:

Looks like i`ll have to go to tescos after midnight now..
What?!? Did they give you a reason why you had to have a mobile. That sounds ridiculous.

Got a question regarding the photomode on PC: Does it render the image at ultra settings, even when you use a lower one?
This is something that always irks me in many PC games.

Today I raced my last league race with CanAm VRL in PCars.
It was a 2.4 race at Nurburgring Combined with time sped up to simulate a 24 hour race, and it was amazing!

I've notched up 2025 hours in PCars and I'm hoping to spend as much in PCars2.
Hopefully this week flies by!

Although there was no commentary, we did stream this race as well if anyone is interested.

I myself was unable to race due to a hand injury, but I ended my Project CARS "career" with 1010 hours (I like that number for some reason. Very binary :D ).

And being League president, I just wouldn't feel I was doing my job if I didn't point out that our next season starts Oct 7th in Project CARS 2. See our website for all the details.

And congratulations to our champions this season. @Animera took the LMP900 title and Nurrec took the GT3 class title.

Last edited:
Back