Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
I didn't think this was possible gives the line "Kick the tires and light the fires" a new meaning.:crazy:
zcFZZ0y.jpg

One thing I have learned today, it is quite hard to reduce power on some cars. So through testing I have increased downforce, opened engine cooling and reduced air restrictor, this gave me desired result, and thought it is done. When time for the race come, it appeared that not only car could go much faster than ever wanted by drafting, but actual top speed risen in a quite decent amount, due to tires cycle was from hot to cold, unlike in testing as usual from cold to hot. Morale is, the only proper testing is actual race environment, rather than free practice. Next time will change the whole approach.

Just back trying pc2 a little after a long while away from it. Took the 720s on long beach, in dry to rain. There's no wet tire choice? I was thinking maybe cause it's a road car but there's soft med hard choices. Plus all terrain, ice, and auto by weather which seems to choose med.
On the med or soft, in the wet it slides like on ice or snow lol, even barely moving like on the road in traffic.
I mean even on the street you can still drive almost normally in wet weather in real life, just not drive like a knuckle head.
So what gives? I have all aids off but still, something not right for sure, sliding at 30mph barely doing anything.
The weather temp is fresh i guess at 53f and track at 74, but its not winter freezing temps.
Don't give me setup crap lol. Its not like im asking to be fast im barely driving at traffic speed hehe. I dont know, just giving it a chance/try again, in one of the cars i preferred too in the past in pc2. Unless long beach is super oily or something and Just after rain it gets slippery for a while then clears up after some time in more rain?

Edit: tried every tire choice while in wet track, same thing.

Last edited:
Just back trying pc2 a little after a long while away from it. Took the 720s on long beach, in dry to rain. There's no wet tire choice? I was thinking maybe cause it's a road car but there's soft med hard choices. Plus all terrain, ice, and auto by weather which seems to choose med.
On the med or soft, in the wet it slides like on ice or snow lol, even barely moving like on the road in traffic.
I mean even on the street you can still drive almost normally in wet weather in real life, just not drive like a knuckle head.
So what gives? I have all aids off but still, something not right for sure, sliding at 30mph barely doing anything.
The weather temp is fresh i guess at 53f and track at 74, but its not winter freezing temps.
Don't give me setup crap lol. Its not like im asking to be fast im barely driving at traffic speed hehe. I dont know, just giving it a chance/try again, in one of the cars i preferred too in the past in pc2. Unless long beach is super oily or something and Just after rain it gets slippery for a while then clears up after some time in more rain?

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a decent wet tire for at least a lot of the street cars. I spent a while testing all of them in the annoying midnight freezing cold pouring rain Invitational at Sugo(where the suggested car is a Rocket Bunny, good luck without switching to AWD). Your best bet is to use the hards but they still aren't that good. Not sure how they left it like that but this is pCARS we're talking about.

Road cars have never had wet tires.

In fact race cars and track day cars are the only to have wet tires.

So why is it such a surprise to you that the 720s doesn't have wet tires?

Will it be the same without ESP and stability control in real life? I guess so, people spin out in powerful road cars on a dry and there a lot of funny video about it:).

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a decent wet tire for at least a lot of the street cars. I spent a while testing all of them in the annoying midnight freezing cold pouring rain Invitational at Sugo(where the suggested car is a Rocket Bunny, good luck without switching to AWD). Your best bet is to use the hards but they still aren't that good. Not sure how they left it like that but this is pCARS we're talking about.

Well thanks for that, i didn't expect hards to be so much better on wet, definitely manageable now at least.
Good racing,
Cheers mate.

Well thanks for that, i didn't expect hards to be so much better on wet, definitely manageable now at least.
Good racing,
Cheers mate.

Well if you think about it based on the descriptions if I remember correctly the hards are generally the closest to a typical road tire and as such have the most normal tread pattern. Mediums are I believe high performance summer tires and the softs are barely-legal track tires. So it does make sense from that perspective. I don't remember if the difference in tread pattern is visible or not off the top of my head. They still don't respond well when it is cold and wet but they have a lower(or at least wider) temperature window than any of the other standard tires. Which is of course a bit confusing if you approach them like the racing slicks where softs overheat easily -- the road car softs can actually be tough to get warm enough to use in the dry on a cool day. Ice tires like the cold but not the pavement. :)

Unfortunately the bots' tires are always fully warmed up so they can be a handful in those cars.

A few cars have all-seasons that seem great in the wet but I think those are mostly on the low-power guys.

Well if you think about it based on the descriptions if I remember correctly the hards are generally the closest to a typical road tire and as such have the most normal tread pattern. Mediums are I believe high performance summer tires and the softs are barely-legal track tires. So it does make sense from that perspective. I don't remember if the difference in tread pattern is visible or not off the top of my head. They still don't respond well when it is cold and wet but they have a lower(or at least wider) temperature window than any of the other standard tires. Which is of course a bit confusing if you approach them like the racing slicks where softs overheat easily -- the road car softs can actually be tough to get warm enough to use in the dry on a cool day. Ice tires like the cold but not the pavement. :)

Unfortunately the bots' tires are always fully warmed up so they can be a handful in those cars.

A few cars have all-seasons that seem great in the wet but I think those are mostly on the low-power guys.

Yes i guess so, sometimes you dont have a relaxed or rested enough mind to think of it.
Thanks for that info too friend, helpfull and reasonable yes..makes sense.
Cheers.

Edit: pc2 is 84% off on psn now.

Last edited:
I'm going to prepare my 935 for the league final. The track is Mugello GP is totally unfamiliar to me. Hope it will be better suited than Brand Hatch, where I had very hard time

It's very good, fast and flowing. I'd imagine it will suit the 935 quite well

Hope so, kinda loosing very much on short tracks due to weak stability through low speed corners. I know that turbo lag mostly to blame, but really if turn boost lower car feels very heavy in those turns, and still looses to little and nible BMW. Plus 4 speed gearbox leave you with very limited option, it is very risky and shaky 1st gear exit, or stable and slow on 2nd. Spent a lot of hours trying both and still haven't decided which works better.

At the race on Brands Hatch used second, and lost precious time on the start and every time at Surtees, not only very tricky turn, but the bumpy exit on top of the hill, what a test of patience. Chosen this tactic mostly because an exit from Druids on 1st gear is lethal on mistakes, due close barriers on both sides, and 935 much heavier than gr.4 cars, where usually a place for an overtake, so I would not wanted to risk their "lives" either:).

Hope so, kinda loosing very much on short tracks due to weak stability through low speed corners. I know that turbo lag mostly to blame, but really if turn boost lower car feels very heavy in those turns, and still looses to little and nible BMW. Plus 4 speed gearbox leave you with very limited option, it is very risky and shaky 1st gear exit, or stable and slow on 2nd. Spent a lot of hours trying both and still haven't decided which works better.

At the race on Brands Hatch used second, and lost precious time on the start and every time at Surtees, not only very tricky turn, but the bumpy exit on top of the hill, what a test of patience. Chosen this tactic mostly because an exit from Druids on 1st gear is lethal on mistakes, due close barriers on both sides, and 935 much heavier than gr.4 cars, where usually a place for an overtake, so I would not wanted to risk their "lives" either:).

You'll probably not be using first gear very much at Mugello even in a 4-speed. Even the slow turns are fairly quick. Nothing super-tight like Druids there, but there is a good mix of corners and elevations.

Well, I saw you guys making good times all around, so may be I do something wrong, but whole first sector is 1st gear business. Gladly exits not so so bumpy and track rather uninspiring than extreme. I will not known my rivals times until very race time, but it slower than 11 seconds from world record from gt class, hope this is a good start of a practice:). Making the car more stable was less of a challenge than Brands Hatch, but overall pace feels very down...

Can't stop people playing crap arcade games can I :)

Sorry Mr Grumpy but i take offence to this post.

First i'm someone that loves pcars 2 if i didn't i wouldn't have over 1500 hours and i wouldn't have driven my beloved p1 gtr for over 137k miles but the fact is i'm a little bored of pcars 2 and i want to try something new and yes i know pcars 3 is more arcade in nature then 2 but if the driving is fun that's all that matters to me.

Sorry Mr Grumpy but i take offence to this post.

First i'm someone that loves pcars 2 if i didn't i wouldn't have over 1500 hours and i wouldn't have driven my beloved p1 gtr for over 137k miles but the fact is i'm a little bored of pcars 2 and i want to try something new and yes i know pcars 3 is more arcade in nature then 2 but if the driving is fun that's all that matters to me.
It was meant to be light hearted, hence the smiley face.

I apologise my friend, it was not my intention to offend you or anyone else, that's why I've tried to stay out of this PC3 business.

I also appreciate a good arcade racer from time to time, I'm currently enjoying wreck fest atm + I do have forza horizon via game pass.

Anyone else playing PC2 in line with the british touring cars championship? Ive just been racing Oulton Park all week with (i think) the right cars, so when i watch it on Sunday, i'll know every corner and kerb. So happy about the announcement of a new BTCC game.

Had AI on 95 and 100 aggression and could win with lots of restarts lol (game pad user)

Its amazing how much you are allowed to 'bash' other cars without penalty, yet i marginally go off track and they come down on me like a tonne of bricks.

PS, loved wreckfest, finished it

Anyone else playing PC2 in line with the british touring cars championship? Ive just been racing Oulton Park all week with (i think) the right cars, so when i watch it on Sunday, i'll know every corner and kerb. So happy about the announcement of a new BTCC game.

Had AI on 95 and 100 aggression and could win with lots of restarts lol (game pad user)

Its amazing how much you are allowed to 'bash' other cars without penalty, yet i marginally go off track and they come down on me like a tonne of bricks.

PS, loved wreckfest, finished it
I've always found that if you realize you are about to go off-track in an illegal spot, you can dramatically reduce the severity of the required slowdown by lifting before the warning. Sometimes it then won't warn you at all or will go away right away. You can also in many cases save time by just slowing down a little extra in the next turn(or often your normal line is slow enough). It always seems the faster the section I where slow down is, the more time I have to give up to clear it.

The warnings are rather a bit odd, sometimes they go away without you doing anything, sometimes they can be cleared quickly and easily, sometimes you have to sign your house over to them to get it to go away. And it tends to not go away at the moment you pass the threshold it is looking for, there's a bit of a delay. It all adds up to a bit of research as to what spots demand what actions, and in the end there's always a bit of a game of "chicken" to see whether it is satisfied with your slowdown or not. Annoying but of course it helps encourage you to not go off in the first place!

But again, backing off as you commit the infraction instead of after it warns you will almost always cost you the least. The worst is of course when you have a slight off right at the end of the race where you gain nothing but it has no time to warn you and just crushes you with a time penalty.

Yes im happy with the penalty and track limits, makes you race better. i know you can turn them off, but i dont. But the shunting of other cars is too forgiving and totally unrealistic. Anyone else got comments on the ability to shunt everyone off the track without the 'marshals' caring?

Back