Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,195 comments
@IanBell are you able to comment on the collision physics. When two or more cars came together, the AI would slow down to a crawl and the cars sort of stuck together. Has this aspect changed in PC2?

Livetrack 3.0 and all that we do with it is pretty epic but I'm probably more excited about the new tyre model and drivetrain/diff features that give us much more controllable handling over the edge. I love me some realistically catchable oversteer; being able to hold the rear out with throttle and steering input and we have that pretty much nailed now, even on a pad.
In addition to controllability, perhaps you could compare PCARS2 to the tendency in PCARS1 for cars to lose too much speed while scrubbing the tires at high slip angles, as in a drift?

For example, in what should be a fun and relatively low-grip car like the Toyota GT86, it couldn't hold a drift without dropping out of it for a lack of speed. Even cars that should have more than enough power to push on through a drift, like the BMW 1M Coupe, would still bog down and fall back to grip before long.

If I could chain-drift an entire lap of a circuit with the correct technique and line in PCARS2, without "faking" oversteer control like Forza does (connecting back to your comment yesterday about insisting on proper simulation handling even with a gamepad), it would go along way to bringing the physics to life for me. 👍

@IanBell are you able to comment on the collision physics. When two or more cars came together, the AI would slow down to a crawl and the cars sort of stuck together. Has this aspect changed in PC2?
Here is what he said a few pages back:
We've also worked hard on the 'sticking issue' where when you contact an AI driver you seem to lose input and you merrily understeer off together. This should be fixed.

We've 'almost' completely eliminated that and we're still actively working on it. It was a bug at the very core of our collision system so we've ripped that apart and are rebuilding as I type. I'm confident we'll nail it.

We used nothing from Shift. We had to rework everything as EA owned all of the assets. Of course the end results looked the same (albeit smoother and higher poly).
Oh ok, thought you guys had some of the Shift stuff stored for future games, was conscious those cars possibly couldn't return since we are talking about different publishers, which is a bit bad and a bit sad since you guys made amazing designs :), some of them even better than their real-life-counterparts in some cases, but I'm not sad at all since you said yesterday you guys had new original car surprises coming, and a possible in-game crossover with other namco games! Only that, and obviously a much more solid gameplay confirmed nailed me to the hype train :D

In addition to controllability, perhaps you could compare PCARS2 to the tendency in PCARS1 for cars to lose too much speed while scrubbing the tires at high slip angles, as in a drift?

For example, in what should be a fun and relatively low-grip car like the Toyota GT86, it couldn't hold a drift without dropping out of it for a lack of speed. Even cars that should have more than enough power to push on through a drift, like the BMW 1M Coupe, would still bog down and fall back to grip before long.

If I could chain-drift an entire lap of a circuit with the correct technique and line in PCARS2, without "faking" oversteer control like Forza does (connecting back to your comment yesterday about insisting on proper simulation handling even with a gamepad), it would go along way to bringing the physics to life for me. 👍

That is how it now operates and I agree it was an issue before.

Hi @IanBell - Great to see your continued presence here on GTP!

A couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

1) One thing I enjoyed about the first game was the inclusion of Ruapuna Park, and also Cadwell - it's not terribly often you see a circuit of that status present in any game, particularly a console release. Will we see more left-field choices in Project CARS 2? While I know you can't be specific, I'm just going to say that an SMS take on Enna Pergusa or Charade would be incredible!

2) Are you in the UK right now? I admire your work ethic if so - I wish I could say I was being productive at this hour.

OK, it's my favourite track that we don't have, sorry. Maybe I'll see it worked in for a DLC pack. Does a track from a Portuguese speaking region count??
No, because, as a peruvian/latinamerican motorsport fan, there's plenty of awesome tracks, some of them world famous, that the sim developers' eyes don't see (without mentioning the championships) :). One region-representative track will not represent a whole continent sir. Here's a few of those tracks :D

Circuito Termas De Rio Hondo (Argentina)
circuito_2015.jpg

Autódromo La Chutana (Peru)
la-chutana-velocidades.jpg

Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez (Mexico)
mapa_distribucion_de_gradas.jpg

Autódromo Oscar y Juan Gálvez (Argentina)
800px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_Oscar_y_Juan_G%C3%A1lvez_Detalles.svg.png

Autódromo Internacional de Codegua (Chile)
250px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_Internacional_de_Codegua.svg.png

Autodromo de Tacna (Peru)
Tacna92.00ee157e09be745594d91f4f120c537d.png

Autódromo de Deodoro (Brazil)

autodromo+de+Deodoro+Rio+de+Janeiro_005.jpg

Autódromo Internacional de Curitiba (Brazil)
220px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_Curitiba.svg.png

Autódromo de Tocancipá (Colombia)
250px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_de_Tocancip%C3%A1.svg.png

Autódromo Las Paredes (Argentina)
250px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_de_Las_Paredes_-_Circuito_4.svg.png

Autodromo Rubén Dumot (Paraguay)

auto_ruben_dumot_600.jpg

Autódromo Internacional de San Carlos (Venezuela)

VEN%20San%20Carlos.gif

Lastly, knowing your relationship with Horatio Pagani...

Autódromo Juan Manuel Fangio de Balcarce (Argentina)

56278b4ad6ab5_980_%2521.jpg

That's some of the finest south/latinamerican racetracks I know, and some of them support massive races like the WTCC, Stock car, and MotoGP, apart of the local championships :) All of them, apart of Interlagos, wating for an oportunity on a BIG videogame :D

Thanks for that girabyt3.

You know, when you say there are a lot of tracks developers don't know of there, it also implies that others don't know of them either, which perpetuates the lack of inclusion.

We are known for including less famous tracks in pCARS though so thanks a bunch for these pointers. I'll have the team look into it.

@girabyt3 Out of interest - I've never seen Autodromo Ruben Demot before, and the first thing that struck me was what looks like an entirely different track that's been cut into the ground. What's the story there? Is this for another discipline of racing, or are they extending the tarmac layout?

Also, if I may add to your list, the Autodromo Eduardo Copello (El Zonda) is a very cool circuit. Relatively short, but characterised by some fun corners and a figure-8 layout.

img_t25.png

Last edited:
@IanBell

For some reason (boring stuff I'm sure) the first Project CARS wasn't available for pre order on PSN in North America. Will this be fixed with PCARS 2? I wanna be able to pre order on PSN this time around.

Thanks for that girab.yt3.

You know, when you say there are a lot of tracks developers don't know of there, it also implies that others don't know of them either, which perpetuates the lack of inclusion.

We are known for including less famous tracks in pCARS though so thanks a bunch for these pointers. I'll have the team look into it.
OMG, yes! Honestly sir, you don't know how much love you and SMS will get here in latinamerica if you bring those tracks, here at Peru SMS could bring massive joys to all not-racing and racing fans for example :D. And yeah, you guys would be the first to bring most of those tracks, and a piece of latinamerican motorsport to the world :).

when you say there are a lot of tracks developers don't know of there, it also implies that others don't know of them either, which perpetuates the lack of inclusion.
In certain way, what you are doing here answers this quote :D, it's because devs don't treat with community so much, and sometimes they don't enjoy it too. They don't know what oportunities of tracks, cars, championships, and creativity they are missing, I mean, you can create a street track from the same country while you watch the race track, or introducing a local championship, I mean, it's sad for the community, and the developers as well, since again, they are missing a lot of chances :/. That's why I appreciate so much the time you take on answering us and watching those suggestions, since in that way, you are not missing oportunities :D

@IanBell Will PCars 2 includes in game race live streams? It has been included in many ESports focused games (notably Valve Games).

Looking forward on big names or teams racing online on pro scene.

@girabyt3 Out of interest - I've never seen Autodromo Ruben Demot before, and the first thing that struck me was what looks like an entirely different track that's been cut into the ground. What's the story there? Is this for another discipline of racing, or are they extending the tarmac layout?

Also, if I may add to your list, the Autodromo Eduardo Copello (El Zonda) is a very cool circuit. Relatively short, but characterised by some fun corners and a figure-8 layout.

img_t25.png

I did some research, the Autodromo Ruben Demot (ex Aratiri) is a Paraguayan race track built in 2013, although it's a full tarmac circuit, it mostly albergs the local rally championship, so it's a rallycross track/race track hybrid, like Lydden Hill or the old Brands hatch :D

@IanBell Can you talk about the customization of on track AI car selection? Is there more than single make, same class, and multi class? And is multi class racing more organized than PCars1?

A quick yes or no please, can we have LMP and GT cars on track at the same time?

I did some research, the Autodromo Ruben Demot (ex Aratiri) is a Paraguayan race track built in 2013, although it's a full tarmac circuit, it mostly albergs the local rally championship, so it's a rallycross track/race track hybrid, like Lydden Hill or the old Brands hatch :D

Thank you sir! Sorry for the thread derailment everyone else, I just love learning about unique locations/cars in the sport!

@IanBell, it's amazing that you decided to come over here and answer all of our questions about you and your team's latest work. If you don't mind, I have a few questions myself:

- Will we see more official liveries? And of the ones which are not official, will we have fictional ones with real sponsor decals?

- A small detail compared to the others, but how are things looking in terms of menu music? Is it going to be an original score, like its predecessor? And is there going to be a genre change?

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
@IanBell, it's amazing that you decided to come over here and answer all of our questions about you and your team's latest work. If you don't mind, I have a few questions myself:

- Will we see more official liveries? And of the ones which are not official, will we have fictional ones with real sponsor decals?

- A small detail compared to the others, but how are things looking in terms of menu music? Is it going to be an original score, like its predecessor? And is there going to be a genre change?

Keep up the good work!

We've went nuts licensing real brands this time. We have a new full time licensing lady who is doing a wonderful job there. This has freed up our chief commercial officer Rod to have more meetings with manufacturers and track owners.

Dr Baysted is working almost exclusively on music this time. So yes, all written in house.

@IanBell I see there's more love for Japanese motorsport this time around, with Fuji and Sportsland SUGO in there. I wonder if there will be certain cars that relate to a word rhyming with Guper SeeTee? ;) Of course, it's too early, but there's always that smidge of hope! (It was on the survey too)

No, because, as a peruvian/latinamerican motorsport fan, there's plenty of awesome tracks, some of them world famous, that the sim developers' eyes don't see (without mentioning the championships) :). One region-representative track will not represent a whole continent sir. Here's a few of those tracks :D

That's some of the finest south/latinamerican racetracks I know, and some of them support massive races like the WTCC, Stock car, and MotoGP, apart of the local championships :) All of them, apart of Interlagos, wating for an oportunity on a BIG videogame :D

Add in some stuff of the Turismo Nacional and TC2000 series and I will be ready to go ;):D

@IanBell What's the chance of old 90's BTCC cars appearing in PCars2? If I remember correctly there was supposed to be a Renault Laguna in the Renault car pack and it was cancelled for whatever reason. I know these cars run at Goodwood members meeting from time to time like the Laguna, Audi A4, Honda Accord etc so the cars are accessible. Are these cars being considered or does the lack of a BTCC licence in PCars make it difficult to include them?

Back