Project Cars 3 Suggestions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 677 comments
@Cluck I'm aware of the WMD group and process, that being said I'm not familiar with the way this group works exactly. I simply think SMS would benefit if they create a survey where PC2 players can prioritize and suggest improvements and additions. This could be narrowed down to the WMD group though.

That's exactly what was done during WMD 2 but as usual, things aren't as simple as one would think.
WMD members could submit wishes/suggestions and the community could rate them and comment on them.

The result? Close to 400 submissions, almost 100 of them with a rating of 4.8/5 or better. How do you prioritize that?

That's why I think a general survey created by SMS could help to prioritize things. There are very easy solutions to let customers rank different objects and to differentiate between different player types shouldn't be to hard either.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it is impossible to satisfy everybody and I don't say the current way is wrong. I just think it could be an improvement. Easy example, we all could think that every improvement is useful, though if you read the suggestions here there are ideas that I think are not important to me and some that I think are very important. So perhaps WMD should create the survey points of interest, let the entire community answer and then let WMD implement

A few suggestions to blow others even more out of the water.

• Is it possible to make the rearview mirrors (in and out mirrors) adjustable like in real life?
  • I mentioned this on the ACC forum as well but is it possible to make fully clickable 3D cockpits with HUD support as in Netkar Pro? I mean a fully working dashboard, all the knobs and switches, which you can operate with your mouse.
  • These fully working interactive dashboards; is it not possible to operate the virtual knobs and switches with virtual hands when using a VR headset with hand tracking?

Hand Tracking would be veeeeeryyy buggy especially if you are using racing wheel.
If you played X-Wing VR Mission for Battlefront, you will find simpler and better solution there. Just looking on the "control/button" and pressing "context" button (X on Playstation) for example.

I am rather curious if they will implement the WMD system for the next installment. It does offer its benefits however these days with so many people seeking that minute of fame by leaking pics/vids/info I can see them scrapping the idea. I missed out on PC1 but got involved with PC2 WMD. It was awesome to get a better understanding what all goes into the game from the technical standpoint and to be able to offer input. I know in the early days there were a few videos leaked and throughout the development a few screenshots and details were found on various forums. I am hoping they will use the WMD system again, but assuming they will need to figure out some ways to avoid those wanting to leak info seeing as some don't understand the point behind an NDA these days.

I'd like to bring up FFB.

While it is good and we have many options to fine tune, it can be improved.

I'll not name drop other titles but there are a few that accel here.

Perhaps my Raw settings could use some help, after hours of adjustment I still can't find that natural progressive feel of a tire loading up or the subtle punch of hitting a bump on track.

Perhaps my Raw settings could use some help, after hours of adjustment I still can't find that natural progressive feel of a tire loading up or the subtle punch of hitting a bump on track.
I wish the tone setting was 2 sliders, I don't like that if you have more of 1 feel you get less of the other, I'd personally like more feel to both if need be.

I've actually jumped on @Scaff's bandwagon regarding moving over to Immersive from Raw, I understand it's canned effects but you do end up with more details regarding tyre slip.

I currently run Immersive, 100, 25, 50, 25. Which seems ok for now considering I mostly use classic cars.
I may bump it up to 100, 30, 50, 40, every now and then if a car feels to light like modern race cars.

I'm on the TX by the way so there's no clipping & it's fully updated & working properly on the control panel side of things, but like @Scaff said sometimes it felt like you were missing details when using the Raw flavour even though there were no signs of clipping on the HUD.

I wish the tone setting was 2 sliders, I don't like that if you have more of 1 feel you get less of the other, I'd personally like more feel to both if need be.

I've actually jumped on @Scaff's bandwagon regarding moving over to Immersive from Raw, I understand it's canned effects but you do end up with more details regarding tyre slip.

I currently run Immersive, 100, 25, 50, 25. Which seems ok for now considering I mostly use classic cars.
I may bump it up to 100, 30, 50, 40, every now and then if a car feels to light like modern race cars.

I'm on the TX by the way so there's no clipping & it's fully updated & working properly on the control panel side of things, but like @Scaff said sometimes it felt like you were missing details when using the Raw flavour even though there were no signs of clipping on the HUD.

Agree there's no clipping using Raw, I've tried the others briefly maybe I need to have another look at Immersive.
I just picked up a CSL elite, re-adjusting to new hardware is also to be considered.

FFB is very personal. People have been hailing 'other race sims' as having much better FFB than pC2, and when I played them I found the FFB nothing short of horrific (and after some adjustment just 'OK' but nothing special). It's all about what you expect and prefer.

Tyres loading up can be achieved quite well in pCARS2, but it depends on the car just as the feeling of cars varies wildly in real life. For me with my hardware, I run pretty much default RAW and I feel all I need to feel w.r.t. tyre grip level changes, though I have to tune FFB Volume to the specific car occasionally to prevent FFB clipping.

FFB communicating bumps in the road already does happen in the game but only when the wheels are turned because in that situation there will be a change in force on the tyre contact patch. Bumps FFB with the wheels straight is basically a canned effect, because FFB by design communicates lateral forces on the contact patch of the tyres, and not perpendicular forces.

The thing I'm surprised by is lack of FFB within most pedal set's, I know some high end pedals do have them & that user's can do an aftermarket mod to most, but if Microsoft can fit tiny little rumbling devices in a £50 controller's triggers then surely Thrustmaster/Logitech could've put these in there basic sets let alone there better ones.

Everything at the moment seems to be about this wheel can do this, direct drive that, but what about the rest of it all, just a simple rumble in the pedals would do wonders combined with the wheel FFB.

My legs really do feel dead when I'm in my rig, I know there's progressive mods & load cells but that's all just feel, not feedback.

Bumps FFB with the wheels straight is basically a canned effect
You mean that natural bump effects on a wheel are canned effects?, or that the ffb, as designed in pc1 and 2 is unable to replicate it properly given the way it's been designed.

In laser scanned tracks in pc2, such as the nords, i don't need to raise road effects in order to feel the straight line bumps. However, I do need rasing that slider in many others and they still feel weak.

You mean that natural bump effects on a wheel are canned effects?, or that the ffb, as designed in pc1 and 2 is unable to replicate it properly given the way it's been designed.

In laser scanned tracks in pc2, such as the nords, i don't need to raise road effects in order to feel the straight line bumps. However, I do need rasing that slider in many others and they still feel weak.
I think we're talking about different things. What I had in mind was bumps as in track surface unevenness/texture. What you are talking about are much bigger undulations. The latter will cause lateral forces on the contact patch so you will feel those, and non-laser-scanned tracks don't have such undulations as much so there's less of that road feel.

AFAIK pCARS2 does not use any canned effects, so it all depends on the actual track surface in combination with the FFB settings.

The thing I'm surprised by is lack of FFB within most pedal set's, I know some high end pedals do have them & that user's can do an aftermarket mod to most, but if Microsoft can fit tiny little rumbling devices in a £50 controller's triggers then surely Thrustmaster/Logitech could've put these in there basic sets let alone there better ones.

Everything at the moment seems to be about this wheel can do this, direct drive that, but what about the rest of it all, just a simple rumble in the pedals would do wonders combined with the wheel FFB.

My legs really do feel dead when I'm in my rig, I know there's progressive mods & load cells but that's all just feel, not feedback.
Fanatec ClubSport pedals have rumble motors in throttle and brake pedals, and I agree that it adds to the haptic feedback experience.

As ridiculous as it sounds despite me being a snob for realistic tracks, I'd like to see some realistic fantasy tracks designed with help from WMD3 guys.

For example, a wide 2.5 mile oval with an infield and some other unique track ideas. Just to see what people would come up with without the licensing cost and to bring a unique flair to the series.

In the sense that Forza has/had Sunset Peninsula and Maple Valley. Being community assisted pushes the CA part of the acronym.

Maybe just add one or 2 per game leading to a collection of WMD designed tracks.

Last edited:
As ridiculous as it sounds despite me being a snob for realistic tracks, I'd like to see some realistic fantasy tracks designed with help from WMD3 guys.

For example, a wide 2.5 mile oval with an infield and some other unique track ideas. Just to see what people would come up with without the licensing cost and to bring a unique flair to the series.

In the sense that Forza has/had Sunset Peninsula and Maple Valley. Being community assisted pushes the CA part of the acronym.

Maybe just add one or 2 per game leading to a collection of WMD designed tracks.

I would love to see more road tracks like Bannochbrae i love it :D Driveclub has great road based tracks. I would love to drive them in more simulation physics :)

I wouldn't mind further original/fantasy tracks added either. As long as they are of a good quality and have a nice layout I'd be happy enough. I don't need to race around exact recreations of existing tracks, just tracks. You don't have to have a licence for fantasy and there's no time spent recreating existing track features so in theory more tracks. Real world circuits are limited by the topography, fantasy ones are only limited by imagination.

As I've said before, a course creator would be great. If PC2 had one, user created tracks would have added greater longevity to the game now that we are in a lull between titles.

As long as they are of a good quality and have a nice layout I'd be happy enough.
This is why I suggested WMD being involved in that process. That way, you can have people being involved in the circuit. I don't know how I'd do that as I haven't been on WMD but involving them would be a good option.

While I'm not opposed to fantasy tracks, as long as they are up to the quality of Bannochbrae, I'd much rather have real tracks - to the extent that if you offered me a choice between 5 real tracks or 15-20 fantasy ones, I'd take the real ones every time.

Also, pCARS2 is not exactly short of tracks to race on as it stands....

I also prefer the real tracks. Biggest upside for me is that I can compare real races to the ones we play in game. Fantasy tracks can be really enjoyable but they always lack something for me. This is also the reason why I prefer tracks that are or were used in multiple disciplines since those add the most value to recreate real events.

For example tracks like Zandvoort, Jerez, Okayama, Interlagos and Paul Ricard were used for numerous events over the years so I'd really like to see them in game. Of course there are plenty of other examples

I'd much rather have real tracks - to the extent that if you offered me a choice between 5 real tracks or 15-20 fantasy ones, I'd take the real ones every time.
I'm sure most of us would. But that's not the reason I'm suggesting them. Tracks like Midfield Raceway in GT make GT what it is today. And a WMD assisted design of a track would show off what the PCARS series is about as it would fit the acronym well and give the series a unique flair. Of course, real tracks would take centre stage. But one or 2 tracks each iteration designed by WMD can really show off what the series is about and highlight the WMD process which is a big part of the PCARS development cycle.

My input for PC3 is this; here we go
- wishlist: 1. a career mode where you keep the same system but add a real team aspect in there,(choices to be a chief, co driver, driver, team manager, or pit crew) you gain points within the career which can used on your team to improve or if you’re a manager other aspects.(like F1 games) The other points you gain will be going toward award unlocks which could replace the free updates they used to do with Cars, liverys, etc but including tracks game modes, also maybe certain difficulty sliders, different pace cars, different replay commentators for offline and online play.

2. Custom championships with custom grids, full weekends and custom rules and flags

3. Full replay saves (available from usb device only since i think there is a limit on consoles which causes that you raced a 24hr race but only have the first 1.27hr of it)

4. Variable crew chiefs for online and offline play.

5. Be able to co drive in online play possibly opening up for backdoor tricks to more players online period no matter the pc or console.

6. Increase multi-class option from 4 to 8 and with this increased grid size.

7. More ovals and there infield counterparts with most of the layouts possible.

8. More manufacturers and classic cars and tracks

9. Custom track (not going to happen and I wouldn’t mind)

10. Balance out the number of tracks across the world (adding more point to points, and addition of rally stages, more rallycross environments) plus more street circuits.

11. More Karts types, miatas, super gt (300/500), Sms formula cars with bop counterparts (say if you want a formula A race, other cars would either have different engines or areo kits or something).

12. Please have a workaround you’re penalty, flag, and rules system (and even if there is no safety/pace car then include a type of virtual like in PC2 with the rolling starts for safety cars like safety zones)

13. Allow us to compare time trials woth every user(not sure if this a problem on PC)

14. Lastly just more weather types and improve on Livetrack performance and consistency.

@IanBell @jake2013guy what do you guys think

@jake2013guy what do you guys think
Don't know why you ask me. I just post my views like anyone else here. I don't work for SMS. I just have fun speculating out of as little of anything as I can find. I'll give my views anyway. Because I don't know how to not do that.

1. a career mode where you keep the same system but add a real team aspect in there,(choices to be a chief, co driver, driver, team manager, or pit crew) you gain points within the career which can used on your team to improve or if you’re a manager other aspects.(like F1 games) The other points you gain will be going toward award unlocks which could replace the free updates they used to do with Cars, liverys, etc but including tracks game modes, also maybe certain difficulty sliders, different pace cars, different replay commentators for offline and online play.
I'm a big fan of team management in racing games. It makes the cars feel like my own. I'd love to have a game where you can sign sponsors and other drivers to join your team. But instead of those sponsors being added to the car like DiRT 4, you can design the livery yourself with an allocation and fixed size as I'm sure sponsors care about those things. Obviously with a number plate too. E.g. A PWC number plate on the car if you enter Pirelli World Challenge on PCARS1.

2. Custom championships with custom grids, full weekends and custom rules and flags
A lot of people like custom championships. I might try it but I prefer to just do whatever race I want. I wouldn't say no to it of course.

3. Full replay saves (available from usb device only since i think there is a limit on consoles which causes that you raced a 24hr race but only have the first 1.27hr of it)
Absolutely agree on race replays though I think that may be a PS issue than a SMS thing. I don't really know.

4. Variable crew chiefs for online and offline play.
I assume you mean interactive like the F1 games? I'd like to see this. To ask them the weather and expected fuel usage would be great. (Of course, not including the adding fuel into the fuel consumption would be good as well.)

6. Increase multi-class option from 4 to 8 and with this increased grid size.
I had a look at how Raceroom implemented their multi-class system and I prefer that. You can add as many cars from whatever classes you like. For example, you can add 23 GT3 cars and 18 GT4 cars and 12 TCR cars for example. If you want to go deeper and add the specific liveries, they allow that as well.

7. More ovals and there infield counterparts with most of the layouts possible.
Big fan of IndyCar and enjoy oval racing so any oval would be great.

8. More manufacturers and classic cars and tracks
More manufacturers is always a good thing. I'd like to see the 2000s GT1 added including the MC12 GT1. I'd like to see the Jaguar D-Type as well. More cars is always welcome. Pretty much no matter from where.

9. Custom track (not going to happen and I wouldn’t mind)
Not really that interested in a track builder. It was in GT and it was fun. But the circuits looked pretty bland and didn't look much like their real counterparts. I'd prefer WMD designed fantasy tracks like I discussed above.

10. Balance out the number of tracks across the world (adding more point to points, and addition of rally stages, more rallycross environments) plus more street circuits.
I agree on this. Especially on the street circuit side as we only have Monaco and Long Beach as proper street circuits. Though Singapore "might" be in PCARS Go next month so that could be an option for PCARS3.

11. More Karts types, miatas, super gt (300/500), Sms formula cars with bop counterparts (say if you want a formula A race, other cars would either have different engines or areo kits or something).
Super GT is fun. But Gran Turismo has the license for that but don't have the non-GT3 GT300 cars. I'm sure many people would welcome an MX-5 Global Cup car. Variations in the Formula A/X would be interesting but they'd need their own unique characteristics to make it worthwhile. Though I'd like to see an oval kit on the Formula X to see what SMS would do in that regard.

12. Please have a workaround you’re penalty, flag, and rules system (and even if there is no safety/pace car then include a type of virtual like in PC2 with the rolling starts for safety cars like safety zones)
One of the reasons why we don't have a SC in PCARS2 is because Ian says it's boring. He has a point and in the buildup to PCARS2, there was discussion on a VSC style system but I don't know what happened to it.

14. Lastly just more weather types and improve on Livetrack performance and consistency.
Of course improving weather is a good option. Though I'd prefer to see a new implementation of it than the slots. I'd much rather have a % of rain for the race and the game decides the weather. Maybe your engineer can tell you what the percentage chance is as well.

For example: "The chance of rain is 70% in the next 30 minutes. But there is no rain expected for the rest of the race beyond that."
"The chance of rain for this hour is 25% but it is not expected to arrive for another 50 minutes."

Of course, that's a dream. But SMS have done things I'd have said was a dream a few years ago playing GT or the F1 games.

I personally would like to see more vintage cars and events.

I'm also quite worried we will see again unnecessary pay DLC with very same cars than rivals and previous games have had since year 2000: (Mazda 7B7B, Sauber C9, etc)
I'm tired of paying about those same sets again.

Of course improving weather is a good option. Though I'd prefer to see a new implementation of it than the slots. I'd much rather have a % of rain for the race and the game decides the weather. Maybe your engineer can tell you what the percentage chance is as well.

For example: "The chance of rain is 70% in the next 30 minutes. But there is no rain expected for the rest of the race beyond that."
"The chance of rain for this hour is 25% but it is not expected to arrive for another 50 minutes."

I love this. It's very similar to how Gran Turismo 5/6 handled weather but with the engineer jumping in to help you. If it starts raining in a location before you see it, it might help if the engineer notified you before you approached that wet section. "It's raining in Sector 2. It's raining between Indianapolis and Mulsanne."

I am a big online endurance racing fan, so all my suggestions will reflect that.

Online Driver Swaps: Easily at the top of my list of features I want to see. You can take it further if you allowed to take your "career mode" online in a sense that you and your friends race a car against the AI.

Driver Rating: It's very easy to move up in safety rank and hard to move down. Thus, you can still run into dirty drivers that are ranked B, A, and S that will do anything such that their skill rating remains high.

The skill rating is too focused on how you finish relative to the rank of the drivers around you. It should be more nuanced than this. There needs to be an element of how quickly you can drive the car. If you are taken out by a dirty driver in turn 1, you are likely going to lose many points that race. However, if that driver recovered many positions after being taken out or had a string of very fast laps to catch up, the driver is still indeed skilled relative to their competition. Since some classes are imbalanced on purpose to mimic real-life performance, how well you perform or finish in a slower or faster car demonstrates your skill also. Winning a race in the Mercedes CLK is far less impressive than winning in the Nissan R390. Your skill rating would not properly reflect that in its current state. People avoid some of these classes because only 1 or 2 of 6+ cars are capable of winning on any given track. If people are rewarded for challenging themselves and trying slower cars, we'd see less "forced" one-make races and a smaller majority of GT3/GTE rooms.

The driver rating I believe should be able to be simplified into Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc. It'd be nice to have races with driver swaps with different driver ratings to simulate a PRO-AM lineup. In reference to the last paragraph, some classes could be more interesting of "PRO" drivers weren't able to pick the fastest cars in an imbalanced class, giving slower drivers a chance in a faster car.

Matchmaking: This in my opinion is why the driver rating feature didn't go as far as it could. Without a tool to group link minded racers, you lose the significance of the driver rating and its exigence.

Tire Compounds: At the most, we get soft, hard, and wet compounds on a race car in the game. However, we're given the widest range and fidelity of weather and temperature conditions than any other sim ever made. I'm ignoring all-weather and ice tires because they wouldn't get used in real life. I think part of the reason why people hate how unforgiving puddles are in the game is because we seem to not have dedicated full wet tires in the game. The wet tires in this game seem to be a jack of all trades, master of none. If we had intermediates, wets, and full wets, we might have an easier time managing all the different rain conditions. Some classes in real life do not have a range of wet tires to choose from, but in the classes this exists, we should have that option. This also goes for medium tires in the dry because some soft and hard tires have no overlap for what conditions they like to be used in.

Rules: If all of the above were to happen, I'd like to see more options in the rules when setting up lobbies. These can be simple such as 2 mandatory pit stops or mandatory tire change. It could get more detailed such as a minimum driver stint time or how much fuel you're allowed to use in a race (see Group C). DRS could use some sort of rule rather than a free for all. It can be as simple as having DRS for an entire sector if you're within a second of the car ahead at the end of the previous sector. This way, you don't have to program dedicated DRS zones even though that would be the most realistic alternative to what we currently have.

Fictional Open Wheelers: Minor suggestion, but I'd love to see multiple variations of the Formula A/X to replicate different chassis, aero, power units etc. These classes don't need to be spec. Having two chassis options and two power units out of these cars would give us four total combinations. Furthermore, it'd be nice to see different Formula As from different eras. A 90s and 00s (with tire war?) Formula A would be a lot of fun.

Furthermore, it'd be nice to see different Formula As from different eras. A 90s and 00s (with tire war?) Formula A would be a lot of fun.
I like it.

I love this. It's very similar to how Gran Turismo 5/6 handled weather but with the engineer jumping in to help you. If it starts raining in a location before you see it, it might help if the engineer notified you before you approached that wet section. "It's raining in Sector 2. It's raining between Indianapolis and Mulsanne."
That was pretty much the inspiration for it. Just with better visuals of the water on the road.

How about a real life fantasy track! That should satisfy all camps including @IfAndOr @jake2013guy @Blob_91 and @gregc etc.

Meadowdale International Raceway was open from 1958 to 1968 and contained a list of features intended to make it the most exciting track in the world - 3.27 miles long with a "Corkscrew" a 0.75 mile downhill straight (longest in the USA) and for maximum excitement a 180 degree turn banked at, not 38 degrees like Monza or 43 degrees like Avus, but a full 45 degrees! Extra excitement was also afforded by a large grain silo (which still stands) right next to the track and a section where the cars pass by each other with little separation. All these things made it too dangerous even then, but would make it a winner in a videogame. Project Cars 3 could also add the Meadowdale oval which sadly was not built, but was originally planned and helps explain some of the unusual features of the layout.

Below a collection of period photos from the circuit and an onboard from another game - just imagine this in Project Cars @IanBell

Meadowdale Compilation 1.jpg
Meadowdale Compilation 2.jpg

How about a real life fantasy track! Meadowdale International Raceway
That looks great, I'd think it would be a blast to drive around. It literally is a roller coaster of a track.

I'm not sure what game that is but for a work in progress it looks quite good. The AI are certainly tenacious!

Looks like an interesting track to drive. And to be clear I don't mind the addition of fantasy tracks but it doesn't have my preference that SMS spends it's resources on it. If like Jake suggested WMD would create a few as a kind of bonus I would more than welcome them.

Same way I prefer the addition of tracks that are not in a lot of other games, although I understand some tracks are almost a must have.

How about a real life fantasy track! That should satisfy all camps including @IfAndOr @jake2013guy @Blob_91 and @gregc etc.

Meadowdale International Raceway was open from 1958 to 1968 and contained a list of features intended to make it the most exciting track in the world - 3.27 miles long with a "Corkscrew" a 0.75 mile downhill straight (longest in the USA) and for maximum excitement a 180 degree turn banked at, not 38 degrees like Monza or 43 degrees like Avus, but a full 45 degrees! Extra excitement was also afforded by a large grain silo (which still stands) right next to the track and a section where the cars pass by each other with little separation. All these things made it too dangerous even then, but would make it a winner in a videogame. Project Cars 3 could also add the Meadowdale oval which sadly was not built, but was originally planned and helps explain some of the unusual features of the layout.

Below a collection of period photos from the circuit and an onboard from another game - just imagine this in Project Cars @IanBell

View attachment 792861 View attachment 792862

I have no problem with that at all - in fact historic tracks that no longer exist would be my first choice of new content. The beauty of a sim is that we can race on tracks that are otherwise just part of racing history. The one I'd personally most love to see is the complete old Nurburgring, with both Sud- and Nordshleife (and obviously the bit in the middle to connect them up!).

I have no problem with that at all - in fact historic tracks that no longer exist would be my first choice of new content. The beauty of a sim is that we can race on tracks that are otherwise just part of racing history. The one I'd personally most love to see is the complete old Nurburgring, with both Sud- and Nordshleife (and obviously the bit in the middle to connect them up!).

I agree with you 100% !!!

I love the classic tracks within the game and would love to have more.

Classic circuits which are too dangerous for present day use, due to lack of runoff or the close presence of roadside furniture (i.e. lampposts, fences, walls, bus shelters, houses etc.) give a fantastic sense of speed and excitement.
There are many more which I would love to see added and I will list them out eventually. Some can still be scanned and some still have the decaying race control buildings, grandstands and pit garages - a good example is Reims-Geux in France, which I think would be a fantastic addition.

Meadowdale International Raceway is a name which I started coming across in various books on the history of racing. I very much enjoy reading drivers, mechanics and team managers biographies and it is great to find out more about various historic circuits, but best of all is being able to race on them in game in the actual cars used or in very similar ones.

Back