Project Cars 3 Suggestions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 677 comments
To be brutally honest, I think SMS needs to get themselves a games development veteran on board, maybe from the pool of experienced UK racing game devs, to show them a thing or two about gameplay design. PCARS2 is an impressive simulator, but the gameplay around that sim engine is pretty sad.

I just now saw this post.

They need a veteran on board?

SMS CEO @IanBell has been developing sims since cofounding Simbim (now Sector3)back in 2003.

He's released a dozen sims, it doesn't get much more veteran than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector3_Studios

I just now saw this post.

They need a veteran on board?

SMS CEO @IanBell has been developing sims since cofounding Simbim (now Sector3)back in 2003.

He's released a dozen sims, it doesn't get much more veteran than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sector3_Studios
I'm aware. :) My point is predicated on the distinction between PCARS2 as a simulator -- ie. physics, LiveTrack, car and track accuracy -- and PCARS2 as a videogame -- ie. career mode, AI polish and balancing, multiplayer functions, other gameplay features it could have but doesn't (eg. team management like a Codemasters game)...

The career mode in PCARS2 doesn't even have as much personality or life to it as Shift 2 Unleashed, and I'm not sure if that had to do with them working with someone at EA or what. It seems kind of phoned-in, and I don't think it's developed or polished enough to be worth taking seriously (100% length races with practice and qualifying, etc.).

Man I really just want this game to have the car list it doesn't have. Basically more production cars since they are just so fun to get the hang of in this game.
I really want a shift 2 car list in this game. Hopefully SMS can find a bigger publisher to help them out.

Edit: Actually didn't realize how dramatic im being over the car list since its actually pretty great. I'm just being picky as I really prefer the huayra against the bc version. Only a few omissions bother me.

Last edited:
Copy from GT:

- Driver rating system;
- Driver sportsmanship rating;
- Daily races;

All the rest they have already.

Fix the sound of the cars. After the Porsche RSR GTE debacle and having too many other cars like the Aston Martin GT4 that are too quiet, there should be no excuse for not having the proper car sounds in future SMS games.

I'm aware. :) My point is predicated on the distinction between PCARS2 as a simulator -- ie. physics, LiveTrack, car and track accuracy -- and PCARS2 as a videogame -- ie. career mode, AI polish and balancing, multiplayer functions, other gameplay features it could have but doesn't (eg. team management like a Codemasters game)...

The career mode in PCARS2 doesn't even have as much personality or life to it as Shift 2 Unleashed, and I'm not sure if that had to do with them working with someone at EA or what. It seems kind of phoned-in, and I don't think it's developed or polished enough to be worth taking seriously (100% length races with practice and qualifying, etc.).

Completely agree. There comes a time when physics and FFB accuracy, tied to a GAME that offers little in online and offline flexibility is a bit pointless. We aren't using PC2 as a sim to get track experience so when we go out on the track in real life, we are better prepared for the course. For 99.999% of us, the game is the entire experience.

Particularly on consoles, PC2 is a crippled experience compared to other racing games the vast majority of our player base likes to denigrate. But there comes a time when racing the AI because you can't find a clean room that isn't a scheduled league room (and not GT3 at RBR and Monza!) becomes boring. I am seriously considering going back to GTS to get some decent clean live competition...

And I shouldn't be forced to do that because of laziness and inertia from SMS's online design team.

If it is indeed based on the F&F franchise, his statement may not be far from the truth no matter the developer. :lol:
I much prefer to base my views on actually seeing something to be honest. Much more fun that way. You form an actual opinion. ;)

Based on that I haven't taken much notice of the F&F Series.

Here's another one. Make the cars handle exactly the same way regardless if you're driving them in solo testing or in a race. I don't do much solo testing but when I have the cars feel much better in testing than when you use them in a race.

I've only driven Formula A a couple of times but a few days ago I thought I would take it and test it at Spa GP. Using a stable tune it felt really good. A lot better than I remembered it last time. Almost flat through Pouhon, etc. But then I tried it in a race there and it was totally different. Massive understeer and just loose everywhere.

Cars should feel the same regardless if it's in testing or in the race.

@Jezza819 I have noticed that issue too, that is the main reason that I always practice in a race, at the race start I just stay still for about 1 min, and then I can practice like if I was alone on the track.

Driver Change (Real Drivers not AI) this option would be awesome to do endurance race or any long race.

Here's another one. Make the cars handle exactly the same way regardless if you're driving them in solo testing or in a race. I don't do much solo testing but when I have the cars feel much better in testing than when you use them in a race.

I've only driven Formula A a couple of times but a few days ago I thought I would take it and test it at Spa GP. Using a stable tune it felt really good. A lot better than I remembered it last time. Almost flat through Pouhon, etc. But then I tried it in a race there and it was totally different. Massive understeer and just loose everywhere.

Unless you're doing your testing with other cars on track, in exactly the same weather conditions as the race, then no - they shouldn't. Formula A in particular is extremely aero dependent, and any car which relies on aerodynamics for grip will behave very differently if you have cars in front of you. If you're in another cars dirty air then you will lose downforce (which = grip) which means longer braking distances, understeer, and general looseness.

The only time I would expect a car in a race to behave the same as solo testing is if I was out in front in clean air, and only then if the weather conditions are identical to testing - including temperature and wind direction/speed, which is something that can change with every session.

This also happens when I do a race against no AI and then redo the exact same race with 20+ AI .The handling is definitely different and better with no one else on track. Can't see any reason for it apart from the game not being able to calculate the physics properly with other AI on track.

Edit: do the other cars affect handling so much? I'm going to test by driving through the grid at the lights to see what happens, so I'm in front. The difference in handling seems huge.

Unless you're doing your testing with other cars on track, in exactly the same weather conditions as the race, then no - they shouldn't. Formula A in particular is extremely aero dependent, and any car which relies on aerodynamics for grip will behave very differently if you have cars in front of you. If you're in another cars dirty air then you will lose downforce (which = grip) which means longer braking distances, understeer, and general looseness.

The only time I would expect a car in a race to behave the same as solo testing is if I was out in front in clean air, and only then if the weather conditions are identical to testing - including temperature and wind direction/speed, which is something that can change with every session.

In the Formula A instance I was well out in front during the race. I had at least a 10 second gap to 2nd place and the car was still just all over the place. I understand that cars should behave differently in traffic in a race and I wouldn't be saying anything about this if that were the case. I've also been in dead last place because of some incident and I'll finish out the race to use it as a test session. Like I said earlier I don't do a ton of testing. It's usually when I'm trying a car for the first time like road cars or something like that.

I also don't do weather or temperature changes so my test session condition matches my mainly used race conditions. I do race night time some but again I know cars behave totally different then.

There's also the element of live track. There might be different amounts of rubber laid onto the track in race settings vs private testing. Since many say testing is better, I'm wondering if private testing has the track fully rubbered in ahead of time. In races, it might be that some rubber is out down from qualifying and practice but never as much required to replicate private testing mode.

Actually the difference in behaviour in different game modes is an acknowledged bug. When setting up a car for league races, I only do it in a private online lobby.

There's also the element of live track. There might be different amounts of rubber laid onto the track in race settings vs private testing. Since many say testing is better, I'm wondering if private testing has the track fully rubbered in ahead of time. In races, it might be that some rubber is out down from qualifying and practice but never as much required to replicate private testing mode.

I'm kind of glad you mentioned that because I've never really understood how live track is supposed to work. I only run single player 10 lap races against the AI with no practice or qualifying sessions, just quick race. But I do use time x10. But I didn't know if live track is supposed to show an actual line of like tire marbles offline because I've never noticed it but I didn't know if I would notice it only running 10 laps. But at the same time would the x10 time advance give the track that rubbered in look? Like you said I wouldn't think private testing would show a rubbered in track.

I think PCars2 is terrific - the only thing I'd like to see is a guy waving the chequered flag at the end of a race, like you see in another well known racing sim. It's a bit of an anticlimax as it stands.

I think PCars2 is terrific - the only thing I'd like to see is a guy waving the chequered flag at the end of a race, like you see in another well known racing sim. It's a bit of an anticlimax as it stands.
IIRC when AC first launched on console as soon as you crossed the finish line the results screen would pop up in your face, and I believe you also got teleported instantly back to the pits. Now that really was an anticlimax.

Pace cars and yellow flags.

Random weather where you can exclude the extremes, and or linking to real world weather.

I don't know if it was just us but every time our league tried to use the race director to broadcast, other players had connection issues. It seemed like the race director would be an ideal tool for leagues but we just never use it.

Hate to be a stuck record, but the only thing I'd like to see in PC3 (other than more tracks and cars!) is just everything in PC2 actually working bug-free...

I'd happily pay for a new game (full price!) just for that alone. The core features of PC2 are perfect. Weather. Time of Day. Great tracks. Great cars. Full race day simulation. Authentic race rules. Track conditions changing dynamically. What more do we need?

Except, things don't work consistently. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. You can't trust anything to always work.

I'd pay good money for that...

I might repeat myself as well a little here but I partly agree with simsimsheree. A PC3 that fixex the issues PC2 has and adds an offline custom championship mode and an improved online system, together with some new cars and tracks and perhaps the biggest missing thing to simulate a real race the yellow flags / safety cars would be an excellent game ( AI on nearly the same handling model would also be a big improvement ).

Perhaps it would be useful to sent all PC2 buyers an invite for a survey for what they would like to see in PC3. This could bias the preferences of more dedicated players but I think this would give a good indication what the next Project Cars should do.

Back