Project CARS 4 "Will Be The Most Realistic Simulation Ever Made"

PC3 is probably the most arcade like racer I have played in a while. How do you go from this to the most realistic sim ever? Was PC and PC2 much better than 3?

I like to change it up and try different games. F1, GTS and ACC have been my go lately. But I really like building up my car in PC3. Oh the choices!
PC1 and 2 were full sim. Next time you see PC2 on sale, grab it. You won't regret it.

The same team made NFS Shift. PC3 was made to be the "spiritual successor to Shift" and fulfills that role quite well...under the wrong naming scheme.

What I can see is PCars3 wasn't what it was promised to be. Which leads many to doubt the promises for PCars4, considering it's not been that long since the PCars3 release.

Well, Ian did say he sees the mistake he made, and "promised" PC4 will be going back to full sim, like PC2.

I mean, PC2 has everything...multiclass, every weather condition, driver swaps...

Is somewhere any info about project? Because it's much better to support small studio with great communication than anything else without it. Still love WMD concept, because you can invest into people and help a bit. It's important to me to play with open cards for small markets like racing sim is.

Is somewhere any info about project?
Yeah, this thread. It's the comments thread for the article we wrote based on now-deleted Tweets made about PC4, which is the only time the title has been mentioned by anyone anywhere.

Yeah, this thread. It's the comments thread for the article we wrote based on now-deleted Tweets made about PC4, which is the only time the title has been mentioned by anyone anywhere.
Yeah, I saw the tweets. But I wonder how anybody wants to build a crazy good sim without communication. PC4 should be exactly that - improbable.

I don't need new Forza or GT. Both parties lack any communication. It's not good.

For instance, what I currently like is how Reiza handles development. It's a bit amateur but you can see they love what they do and they have talent for sure. Maybe they will fail badly but I can support it and be around. That's maybe ideal environment for best sims. Who knows. And maybe PC1 was very similar to that.

It's important to know your audience. HC sims are not for everybody and you shouldn't care about everybody's opinion. That's important. It's like PC3, nobody knows for who it is.

But I wonder how anybody wants to build a crazy good sim without communication. PC4 should be exactly that - improbable.
There will almost certainly be no specific, official communication on PC4 until after PC3 is confirmed end-of-life - which should be Tuesday, as that's apparently the "final DLC".

Despite its shortfalls I really like Project Cars 3. It's unfortunate not as many people play it as I would like. The car and track selection is a much needed change from Gran Turismo Sport. Although I am looking forward to GT7.

Last edited:
Well, Ian did say he sees the mistake he made, and "promised" PC4 will be going back to full sim, like PC2.

Ian is a habitual liar, on the scale of Peter Molyneux. If you believe anything that comes out of his mouth when he bald-faced lied to fans about there being pit stops in PC3, when it was very clear that there wasn't, then you are frankly an absolute mark.

Ian is a habitual liar, on the scale of Peter Molyneux. If you believe anything that comes out of his mouth when he bald-faced lied to fans about there being pit stops in PC3, when it was very clear that there wasn't, then you are frankly an absolute mark.
I see no problem not having pitstops. Seems most people are doing short races anyways. That being said I also do not see why they are not in the game for those that want to use them.

Based on what? own experience or hearsay?

Why would it be hearsay? Theres not as much talk or action about PC3 and it's community from what I can see on Social channels compared to other games so doubt that's an influence and more likely personal experience

Last edited:
I'd like to see some fresh screen shots, comments from the devs, something.

Where are you Mr. Bell? News is slow these days.

EA and CM style. We won't get any info. I am not sure how they want to build proper sim if almost no sim is popular. Market is too saturated with top-notch sims already, there is no space for EA or CM, I guess.

AC, ACC, GTS, Forza 7, NASCAR Heat 5, F12020, PC3 (all on console)...

None of them have been able to unseat PC2 as my most joy-inducing racing game.

If we ever get PC4 and it falls in line with PC2 as opposed to PC3, he has my money.

Last edited:
EA and CM style. We won't get any info. I am not sure how they want to build proper sim if almost no sim is popular. Market is too saturated with top-notch sims already, there is no space for EA or CM, I guess.
I can't really speak for other sims on other platforms but here the series popularity is only second to Gran Turismo. And you don't need to look hard to find post complaining about the PC3 change of direction.
So yeah, I'm pretty confident a PC4 game build similarly to PC2 would have a huge success. There's a lot of space for EA and CM in both sim and arcade department. Project Cars, Dirt Rally, F1 are huge sim titles. And they could do a lot with NFS, Grid and Dirt too. Imagine a combination of all three in an open world game... :drool:

Not interested in PC4 unless they show a proper good steer of direction to what the sim community asked for through a marketing campaign that shows us more, responses that aren't full of sassiness along with handling their discord and forum better, but doubt the people steering that will do anything differently so will likely be a repeat of what PC3 had along with the current state of their channels

Not interested in PC4 unless they show a proper good steer of direction to what the sim community asked for through a marketing campaign that shows us more, responses that aren't full of sassiness along with handling their discord and forum better, but doubt the people steering that will do anything differently so will likely be a repeat of what PC3 had along with the current state of their channels

Never mind any marketing campaign, proof of the pudding is in the eating - lets see a decent product in the first place and then doesn't get ignored soon after release.

I can't really speak for other sims on other platforms but here the series popularity is only second to Gran Turismo. And you don't need to look hard to find post complaining about the PC3 change of direction.
So yeah, I'm pretty confident a PC4 game build similarly to PC2 would have a huge success. There's a lot of space for EA and CM in both sim and arcade department. Project Cars, Dirt Rally, F1 are huge sim titles. And they could do a lot with NFS, Grid and Dirt too. Imagine a combination of all three in an open world game... :drool:
PC1 and PC2 were great games on consoles. You are right, on consoles there are not much games and PC series was pretty good until PC3 disaster. I was thinking about PC and there is no reason to trust SMS again because there is a lot of other options.

I am not sure if PC2 was huge success on consoles :D The game was good but what about sales? Maybe that was the reason for destroying franchise with PC3?

I think there is no predicting what to expect from SMS in a certain sense, for better and worse. The Shift games were nothing like Ian Bell & co.'s previous work on PC sims, PCARS1 was on a whole different level compared to S2U, and PCARS2 was a disaster at launch (and remains a challenge with a controller) yet became a beloved favorite. Then there's PCARS3.

Setting aside the understandable subjective disappointments in PCARS3 (Simulation Value™ and all), the games have only gotten better; PCARS3 isn't extraordinarily polished on the technical side, but it is more polished and has more thought put into it in terms of gameplay and presentation.

I don't think there's a reason to distrust SMS, per se -- they are relatively unpredictable. But it does mean PCARS4 is ??? until we actually get our hands on it.

PC2 was somewhat buggy at release wasn't it - reading back this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-bug-report-q-a.359113/

@Wolfe - I think the "distrust" comes from Bell having a bit of an attitude (in the thread above he claimed PCars 2 had 5 bugs in it...) and also the outright lying (pitstops in PCars 3). Every installment of the series he's promised to be "the best ever". You can understand why people aren't willing to trust that statement.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a reason to distrust SMS, per se -- they are relatively unpredictable. But it does mean PCARS4 is ??? until we actually get our hands on it.

After SMS were effectively belittling and outright lying to the sim part of its audience about pCARS 3, those people (myself included) have plenty of reasons to distrust SMS.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about trusting anything Ian or anyone else says about the next game. I didn't say anything about trusting them at all. That was the whole point. Re-read the post.

I've always thought it was obvious not to take what Ian says at face value; his personality broadcasts that loud and clear. We didn't need PCARS3 to know that much. But like @DriveSpark said, Ian boasted that PCARS2 was going to be the best thing ever, and now some people don't disagree. Sometimes, the truth is not the complete opposite of what Ian says. He wasn't even wrong about the analog stick steering in PCARS3 -- they made it a lot better for a lot of players.

So I see little point in expecting PCARS4 to not be like PCARS2 just because Ian says it will be. If you hold doubts, don't pre-order it. To repeat, PCARS4 is ??? until we actually get our hands on it.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about trusting anything Ian or anyone else says about the next game. I didn't say anything about trusting them at all. That was the whole point. Re-read the post.
I mean, you essentially did though - you literally brought up distrust about a person/entity and/or any other individual. Either way, I feel that people have plenty of reasons to distrust him actually, he's said things that just aren't true or just never happened. It's not like they're just pulling it out of their asses, they are going off what he's allowed us to know, basically.

I think the best bet would probably be to not listen to a thing he or anyone that works for SMS says about the game, and just give a shot first hand so that way you wont at least be disappointed by half truths or outright lies, and more so about what the actual game is as a whole as you wont have a tainted vision at that point. Like you said, it can end up anywhere going off the past, so don't go in expecting anything based off what he said. This all reminds me about what you noted on about being able to see issues with a game long before it comes out.

I'm waiting for PC3 to hit the bargain bin before I jump on board, just because my history with them has already been tainted , but I really don't think I'd hate it as much as most people.

I feel like the bashers of PC3 have not even played it once. The game is fun. The multiplayer has so much potential but lacks an audience. the Dirt Rally clubs model is genius and I would think really help PC3.

I mean, you essentially did though - you literally brought up distrust about a person/entity and/or any other individual.
I talked about SMS, not Ian, and I talked about the ups and downs of their games, not what anyone representing SMS says about them. A deliberately impersonal point of view.

If trust -- in the end product, not what is said about it -- is option A, and distrust is option B, I'm merely suggesting options C or D:
C. Neither trust nor distrust (disbelief). No assurance that PCARS4 will be a top-notch sim, no assurance it will be like PCARS3 and fail to deliver as a hardcore sim. Wait and see.
D. Both trust and distrust. Taking any claims with a grain of salt (or more than just a grain), but having trust that the team will deliver something worth playing (say, if you still enjoyed PCARS3).

I don't trust that the company will make another hardcore sim -- not like the trust I have in other developers, anyway -- but I don't disbelieve that they ever will, either. In context, that was meant to be implied by the italic ("distrust"), adopting the choice of word from the posts above mine.

Either way, I feel that people have plenty of reasons to distrust him actually, he's said things that just aren't true or just never happened. It's not like they're just pulling it out of their asses, they are going off what he's allowed us to know, basically.
I've taken everything Ian (or others like Andy Tudor) say with a grain of salt since the sudden cancellation of the Wii U version of PCARS1, after months of assurances that it was working wonderfully, to paraphrase. Such things are hardly unusual in the industry anyway.

We're in agreement on the rest. 👍

I talked about SMS, not Ian, and I talked about the ups and downs of their games, not what anyone representing SMS says about them. A deliberately impersonal point of view.

If trust -- in the end product, not what is said about it -- is option A, and distrust is option B, I'm merely suggesting options C or D:
C. Neither trust nor distrust (disbelief). No assurance that PCARS4 will be a top-notch sim, no assurance it will be like PCARS3 and fail to deliver as a hardcore sim. Wait and see.
D. Both trust and distrust. Taking any claims with a grain of salt (or more than just a grain), but having trust that the team will deliver something worth playing (say, if you still enjoyed PCARS3).

I don't trust that the company will make another hardcore sim -- not like the trust I have in other developers, anyway -- but I don't disbelieve that they ever will, either. In context, that was meant to be implied by the italic ("distrust"), adopting the choice of word from the posts above mine.
Unfortunately, Ian is at the forefront of the company, so what he says is going to have a ton of weight within the community, especially when it's about specifics about a game. I think the other part that people hold onto his words more is that you don't really see a person in his position participating/engaging throughout many social media outlets, especially forums.

I agree with C, though, at least in SMS' case. That italicized half word wasn't noticed on my part.

Back