Project Cars or Asseto Corsa

• Thread starter Heels074
  • 211 comments
I haven't bought a wheel yet, been saving up for one this year haha. I'm still in the process of learning apex, driving line and all that stuff. I want to be good at racing online and actually stand a chance as well as playing like the real players online do. I'll def start with assists on and slowly get away from them. Thanks for the advice

No worries mate. getting used to a wheel can take time, so I'd definitely advise using assists until you feel comfortable with your set up and want to challenge yourself. Best thing to do is pick a track you know well, and just go for lap after lap after lap just practicing with your wheel, with how altering the set up changes the dynamics of the car, and honing your skills. Pcars can be really good for this, as it allows custom mapping of everything, and keyboard support on console. So you can even map your driver aids to your keyboard and try switching them off in the middle of a practice run while you're in a rhythm.

Anyway, glad to help, and hope you have a blast! :cheers:

I haven't bought a wheel yet, been saving up for one this year haha. I'm still in the process of learning apex, driving line and all that stuff. I want to be good at racing online and actually stand a chance as well as playing like the real players online do. I'll def start with assists on and slowly get away from them. Thanks for the advice
I would highly recommend a wheel for maximum enjoyment - in my opinion, however, I know you'll still have a great time using a controller as many, many people use a controller solely and couldn't be happier. I don't have PCars so I can't offer much advice in that vein, but I do have Assetto Corsa and you have a few different options available to you.

You can manually set ABS to always be on. You can manually set TC to always be on. So, you'll be able to drive modern F1/GT3 cars with ABS & TC and even old Alfa Romeo street cars from 1960 will have ABS & TC. Next, you can set ABS to "Factory" and you can set TC to "Factory". That means you will have TC and/or ABS available on that particular car if the real life version comes with TC and/or ABS available. Finally, you can manually set both ABS & TC to always be off, if you'd like to go that route.

Oh, I forgot to say that you can also mix and match those assists. Maybe you want ABS set to always be on no matter which car you drive, but you'd like TC to only be active if the real life car has TC - you could set TC to "Factory" and ABS to "Always On". There is one more assist that I would personally suggest you avoid altogether - Stability Control. It is a really, really, really phony driving assist. The good news is, if you are having trouble no matter which way you set ABS and/or TC the Stability Control can be set in 10% increments. Maybe 20% Stability Control gives you just a little more assist to make you feel comfortable. Just remember, it is so unlike real life stability control so you don't want to get so used to driving with it turned on that you can never stay in a straight line without it.

Just always remember that no matter what suggestions someone like me gives you, play the game the way that you most enjoy it. It's your money and your game system so it should be first and foremost about having fun. Good luck! 👍

I would highly recommend a wheel for maximum enjoyment - in my opinion, however, I know you'll still have a great time using a controller as many, many people use a controller solely and couldn't be happier. I don't have PCars so I can't offer much advice in that vein, but I do have Assetto Corsa and you have a few different options available to you.

You can manually set ABS to always be on. You can manually set TC to always be on. So, you'll be able to drive modern F1/GT3 cars with ABS & TC and even old Alfa Romeo street cars from 1960 will have ABS & TC. Next, you can set ABS to "Factory" and you can set TC to "Factory". That means you will have TC and/or ABS available on that particular car if the real life version comes with TC and/or ABS available. Finally, you can manually set both ABS & TC to always be off, if you'd like to go that route.

Oh, I forgot to say that you can also mix and match those assists. Maybe you want ABS set to always be on no matter which car you drive, but you'd like TC to only be active if the real life car has TC - you could set TC to "Factory" and ABS to "Always On". There is one more assist that I would personally suggest you avoid altogether - Stability Control. It is a really, really, really phony driving assist. The good news is, if you are having trouble no matter which way you set ABS and/or TC the Stability Control can be set in 10% increments. Maybe 20% Stability Control gives you just a little more assist to make you feel comfortable. Just remember, it is so unlike real life stability control so you don't want to get so used to driving with it turned on that you can never stay in a straight line without it.

Just always remember that no matter what suggestions someone like me gives you, play the game the way that you most enjoy it. It's your money and your game system so it should be first and foremost about having fun. Good luck! 👍
I tried stability control with drifting (Using a controller it is close to impossible) and i was able to drift really easily. I think it is a great for those who are struggling, like one of my friends. He keeps spinning out and i can hear him getting frustrated which is frustrating me because i know he is struggling because he is too bloody stoned and cant think quick enough.

Stability control would help him and make me and my other mates get less annoyed with him sending negative energy down the mic but no option to allow stability control online. Hopefully with cusgom lobbies coming we will be able to have control over everything.

I tried stability control with drifting (Using a controller it is close to impossible) and i was able to drift really easily. I think it is a great for those who are struggling, like one of my friends. He keeps spinning out and i can hear him getting frustrated which is frustrating me because i know he is struggling because he is too bloody stoned and cant think quick enough.

Stability control would help him and make me and my other mates get less annoyed with him sending negative energy down the mic but no option to allow stability control online. Hopefully with cusgom lobbies coming we will be able to have control over everything.

You're referring to PCARS I'm assuming?

I don't mind sharing my pad setup - I got it dialed down to almost Forza-like control, no assists.

Oh and ask your friend to maybe cut back on the shibby. :lol:

PCARS has the better single player experience and career mode, and it has day/night transitions.
AC has better physics and is the most rewarding driving experience.

No idea how active the online community still is in PCARS as it is already the older console game, and 2 is coming up later this year too. But once AC gets sorted with regards to online on PS4 it will probably have the more active community in 2017.

What's interesting is although PCARS is technically older(development started wayyyy back) It didn't release until half a year after AC hit steam for purchase. Both are around 3 years old

Honestly I think there are a few things that's stopping PCARS from being popular on console now(including better car list for actual racing) but
AC has more things that needs reworking/patching on console.

Not sure if you bought one yet, but definitely buy AC. PC2 will be out soon and you don't need PC and PC2, AC definitely have the better driving experience to tide you over until GTS. I think PC is a little more arcady but still a good drive. I'm not expecting much from GTS, but I feel it's going to be a game changer! Not relevant I know!

No worries mate. getting used to a wheel can take time, so I'd definitely advise using assists until you feel comfortable with your set up and want to challenge yourself. Best thing to do is pick a track you know well, and just go for lap after lap after lap just practicing with your wheel, with how altering the set up changes the dynamics of the car, and honing your skills. Pcars can be really good for this, as it allows custom mapping of everything, and keyboard support on console. So you can even map your driver aids to your keyboard and try switching them off in the middle of a practice run while you're in a rhythm.

Anyway, glad to help, and hope you have a blast! :cheers:

Sound advice and my 'test track' of choice has always been Monza,

That track will teach you a lot in regards to breaking, turning, accelerating whilst giving you some time between turns to compose yourself

What's interesting is although PCARS is technically older(development started wayyyy back) It didn't release until half a year after AC hit steam for purchase. Both are around 3 years old

Honestly I think there are a few things that's stopping PCARS from being popular on console now(including better car list for actual racing) but
AC has more things that needs reworking/patching on console.
Don't you actually own either one of those games?

Not sure if you bought one yet, but definitely buy AC. PC2 will be out soon and you don't need PC and PC2, AC definitely have the better driving experience to tide you over until GTS. I think PC is a little more arcady but still a good drive. I'm not expecting much from GTS, but I feel it's going to be a game changer! Not relevant I know!
Could you please elaborate on what mean by this? I tried understanding it, but I started to bleed from the ears. :D

Could you please elaborate on what mean by this? I tried understanding it, but I started to bleed from the ears. :D

I think my excitement is building for this one, GT5 & 6 kinda put me off the franchise so I am not expecting a great deal from this release in terms of physics - however, there comes from time to time, little snippets of gameplay in 4K which make me feel this could set a whole new standard as it did in the past! Let's see, an April release would be very welcome

Don't you actually own either one of those games?

I have PC version of AC and have played PCARS/AC on PS4 with controller

Just to clear up that comment, PCARS has many more cars and a much more race-oriented car roster (much better for a racing game) and the track roster is pretty decent too, even if the tracks are less accurate. Most people aren't top 5% of racers anyway. The main problem with PCARS is the lack of saving more setups on one track. If they fixed that, along with the usual online bugs I think it'd be way better for competitive racing. Brake fade and wear on tyres is realistic enough to enjoy.

Last edited:
I think my excitement is building for this one, GT5 & 6 kinda put me off the franchise so I am not expecting a great deal from this release in terms of physics - however, there comes from time to time, little snippets of gameplay in 4K which make me feel this could set a whole new standard as it did in the past! Let's see, an April release would be very welcome
April? I thought that they already confirmed GTSport wouldn't ship any sooner than "near the end of 2017" or something along those lines?

I have PC version of AC and have played PCARS/AC on PS4 with controller

Just to clear up that comment, PCARS has many more cars and a much more race-oriented car roster (much better for a racing game) and the track roster is pretty decent too, even if the tracks are less accurate. Most people aren't top 5% of racers anyway. The main problem with PCARS is the lack of saving more setups on one track. If they fixed that, along with the usual online bugs I think it'd be way better for competitive racing. Brake fade and wear on tyres is realistic enough to enjoy.
I've never played Project Cars, but from what I've heard, from several people who's opinions I respect is that Project Cars is a better game to race with in terms of the whole racing experience. These people, almost exclusively, say that Assetto Corsa feels better to drive, better physics and such...but PCars takes it in terms of racing atmosphere and immersion. That doesn't surprise me.

Is this the entire car list for Project Cars? http://www.projectcarsgame.com/cars.html?lang=en or is that just the 1.0 car list before any updates or DLC?

Again, I'm a sucker for some advertised rumours! :)

Would be nice though eh
It would be great for people who have been waiting, for what probably seems like forever, for the next installment of Gran Turismo. I started with GT6, but I didn't purchase a PS4 GTSport isn't personally significant to me. However, I want people to have the game. If I was a GT die hard fan and I had been waiting this long...oh, every day without a release date would suck.

Is Gran Turismo the only racing sim you play?

April? I thought that they already confirmed GTSport wouldn't ship any sooner than "near the end of 2017" or something along those lines?

I've never played Project Cars, but from what I've heard, from several people who's opinions I respect is that Project Cars is a better game to race with in terms of the whole racing experience. These people, almost exclusively, say that Assetto Corsa feels better to drive, better physics and such...but PCars takes it in terms of racing atmosphere and immersion. That doesn't surprise me.

Is this the entire car list for Project Cars? http://www.projectcarsgame.com/cars.html?lang=en or is that just the 1.0 car list before any updates or DLC?

That looks to be including all DLC. For example the Lykan Hypersport wasn't in the base game, it got added as part of free DLC 1.

It would be great for people who have been waiting, for what probably seems like forever, for the next installment of Gran Turismo. I started with GT6, but I didn't purchase a PS4 GTSport isn't personally significant to me. However, I want people to have the game. If I was a GT die hard fan and I had been waiting this long...oh, every day without a release date would suck.

Is Gran Turismo the only racing sim you play?

Nooo...

PS4 - AC, PC, Dirt rally
PC - iracing, RRE

So I should be happy with what I have!!

That looks to be including all DLC. For example the Lykan Hypersport wasn't in the base game, it got added as part of free DLC 1.
Okay... IF that is true and that's the full car list, then Assetto Corsa has more cars than Project Cars at this point. 152 to 125... Tracks is a much different story. pCars has 37 while AC has only 18. I only counted individual locations, not the multiple setups layouts within. All that would do is widen the gap.

I'm not saying the quality or the diversity is any better or worse, but everybody always says PC has more cars & tracks when it's really just more tracks. pCars looks like it's much more diverse with their selection of racing cars whereas AC has a buttload of street legal cars.

@brockie Oh...Very nice! So you have a ton of stuff to hold you over until GTSport arrives. 👍 Plus, PCars 2 is coming and based on what I've heard from Ian Bell it should destroy GTSport - and Assetto Corsa if it delivers on it's promised physics improvements and whatnot.

EDIT: I meant to also ask you, @brockie - did you used to play, or do you still play GT6?

Okay... IF that is true and that's the full car list, then Assetto Corsa has more cars than Project Cars at this point. 152 to 125... Tracks is a much different story. pCars has 37 while AC has only 18. I only counted individual locations, not the multiple setups layouts within. All that would do is widen the gap.

I'm not saying the quality or the diversity is any better or worse, but everybody always says PC has more cars & tracks when it's really just more tracks. pCars looks like it's much more diverse with their selection of racing cars whereas AC has a buttload of street legal cars.

@brockie Oh...Very nice! So you have a ton of stuff to hold you over until GTSport arrives. 👍 Plus, PCars 2 is coming and based on what I've heard from Ian Bell it should destroy GTSport - and Assetto Corsa if it delivers on it's promised physics improvements and whatnot.

EDIT: I meant to also ask you, @brockie - did you used to play, or do you still play GT6?

Ahahaha I think you're onto something there, AC has been getting updates and DLC, so the car count has surpassed PCARS. I'll have to say, nice catch! Unfortunately for PCARS users, the game is still a buggy mess with the last update being from November 2016. Luckily for us AC users the game's still getting fixes, even if rather slow. Latest update for AC was in March.

Now I'd like to hope PCARS2 won't ditch their customers but from all the hype they've generated and the buggy mess of PCARS1 it seems history is going to repeat itself and we're to stupid to do anthing but throw our money for them to crowfund another unfinished, buggy game. Now with over 200 cars.

And if you don't believe the hype train has already started for PCARS2 , just look at the absolute horror to be witnessed when a quick google search returns this: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-you-need-to-start-getting-super-excited-for-project-cars-2/

Just read through the steam page comments and pics http://steamcommunity.com/games/234630/announcements/
PCARS is a case study in disappointment.

Last edited:

I know that, like me, you have a lot of mod in your AC. PCars, because you cannot add mods, will always have way less cars and track than AC, I have about 600 ( different ) cars and about 200 ( different ) tracks.
Why are we always just comparing base game when in reality, because it is fully modable, AC as much more to offer than anything else out there.
And yes, even mod, track and/or car, still drive better in AC, to me, than anything in PCars.
Only applies for AC on computer of course.
last week end, I spent my all week end, racing 2017 F1 at Albert Park, next week I intent to do the same in China. No other SIM can allow me to do that. Racing those beast in VR with AC physic and FFB gives a better perspective on what it is to race today's F1 and the level of talent anyone on the grid need to pull it off.
I might also take the Miata on the pacific coast road 1, with or without traffic, not sure yet, just because this is such a nice and relaxing drive.

@TT92
Hi just stumbled here...
Forgive me if I invite you to discriminate between people that CAN'T drive and people that WON'T drive

What an odd thing to say. Either English is not your first language or you're into your mum's cooking Sherry ;-)

Sorry @TT92 ,did not want to upset you, (it's bad four your health)
Just wanted to say that there is a huge difference between newbies and idiots...imho that difference is the will to learn while making mistakes
Peace? ;)

Sorry @TT92 ,did not want to upset you, (it's bad four your health)

You will have to try harder than this then ;-) I have been a around online forums for many, many years.

Just wanted to say that there is a huge difference between newbies and idiots...imho that difference is the will to learn while making mistakes
Peace? ;)

OK now we are getting somewhere. You are a newbie here and looks like fairly new to racing as well. You have only been a member of GTP since last December and have only made a few posts in GT6.

The correct way to go about challenging someone on any subject would be to quote a section of text that you want to discuss (like I just have done with you) so they have some idea as to what you are actually referring to and usually do that in a relevant thread.

This thread is about discussing the merits of which game (PCARS or AC) for someone to purchase. Yes the discussion can sometimes get a little "off topic" but generally should stay relevant.

So if you would like to re-ask your question relevant to this topic I will be more than happy to accommodate you.

I hope this helps you.

Edit: Perhaps a moderator would like to step in here with a few pointers as well?

Or bring it to the next level, turn off all aids including ABS. Turn on H-shifter, heel and toe on the old BMW or any car that has H-shifter. Then hop on some laps on Nurburgring. That will be more real than driving real cars because real cars do have ABS :). I sweat like a pig after a few laps because it is so intense to not only control the slide but also wheel lock.

Ahahaha I think you're onto something there, AC has been getting updates and DLC, so the car count has surpassed PCARS. I'll have to say, nice catch! Unfortunately for PCARS users, the game is still a buggy mess with the last update being from November 2016. Luckily for us AC users the game's still getting fixes, even if rather slow. Latest update for AC was in March.

Now I'd like to hope PCARS2 won't ditch their customers but from all the hype they've generated and the buggy mess of PCARS1 it seems history is going to repeat itself and we're to stupid to do anthing but throw our money for them to crowfund another unfinished, buggy game. Now with over 200 cars.

And if you don't believe the hype train has already started for PCARS2 , just look at the absolute horror to be witnessed when a quick google search returns this: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-you-need-to-start-getting-super-excited-for-project-cars-2/

Just read through the steam page comments and pics http://steamcommunity.com/games/234630/announcements/
PCARS is a case study in disappointment.
I've never played Project Cars. I installed that free Pagani thing they released within the last few months, but I uninstalled it immediately because I couldn't take the time to try and figure out how to make my steering wheel feel like a real wheel... :rolleyes: Plus, 1 car (or was it 2? Maybe a street and race version of the Huayra?). No thanks...

I was following the pCars 2 thread the first night Ian Bell stopped by and pCars fans had to change their underwear because they all exploded in ecstasy - I have to admit, I was mighty impressed by what Ian Bell was saying. Of course, no one wants to assume there will be bugs...so I was giving pCars 2 the benefit of doubt and I've been 100% sure I would be purchasing pCars 2 - just to see for myself what it's like. I've lost all respect for Ian Bell about a week ago, so now I wouldn't play pCars 2 if you paid me. It probably will be an amazing racing sim though. Just because I think the business owner is scum doesn't mean I'll insult his product if it's good. I just won't support it.

I know that, like me, you have a lot of mod in your AC. PCars, because you cannot add mods, will always have way less cars and track than AC, I have about 600 ( different ) cars and about 200 ( different ) tracks.
Why are we always just comparing base game when in reality, because it is fully modable, AC as much more to offer than anything else out there.
And yes, even mod, track and/or car, still drive better in AC, to me, than anything in PCars.
Only applies for AC on computer of course.
last week end, I spent my all week end, racing 2017 F1 at Albert Park, next week I intent to do the same in China. No other SIM can allow me to do that. Racing those beast in VR with AC physic and FFB gives a better perspective on what it is to race today's F1 and the level of talent anyone on the grid need to pull it off.
I might also take the Miata on the pacific coast road 1, with or without traffic, not sure yet, just because this is such a nice and relaxing drive.
You are 100% correct. The only reason I chose not to even mention the available mods is because I'm sure someone would have responded, "Yeah? How many are total crap?! hurr durr durr!" And they'd be right...there are a lot of crap mods. There are also hundreds which are not crap. Hundreds. Tracks too...so many great tracks and so many "good" tracks. Some aren't tarted up with gorgeous surroundings and track side objects, but if the track surface is good and there is at least some effort to give the circuit a decent environment, I'll always give it a try. 👍 :cheers:

I've lost all respect for Ian Bell about a week ago, so now I wouldn't play pCars 2 if you paid me. It probably will be an amazing racing sim though. Just because I think the business owner is scum doesn't mean I'll insult his product if it's good. I just won't support it.

Excuse me if I'm a bit curious but why exactly did you lose respect for Ian Bell a week ago?!
I'm interested in PC2 but I also heard lots of bad stories about that guy!

Excuse me if I'm a bit curious but why exactly did you lose respect for Ian Bell a week ago?!
I'm interested in PC2 but I also heard lots of bad stories about that guy!

Make that x2. Why has ALB123 lost respect for the Wookie? And only a week ago? What did I miss? Not that I follow what happens with SMS very much at all.

Edit: I should add I will not be buying PCARS 2 either. *IF* it is any good, *IF* the reviews rate it and *IF* my friends start playing it online then I *may* get a second hand copy, that way SMS doesn't make $0.01 out of me.

To be fair, since development of PCARS 1 completely ceased last year in november. Assetto Corsa is definitively the better game, along with being less broken on PC and mod support on PC. Mod support on AC is like Rfactor 1 all over again, just fantastic value once you get some of those well-done free community-made mods installed! (Like Bridgehampton track to start with, the creator of that one is practically a legend now for the amount of detail and accuracy he was able to recreate in his track. It's like better than a Kunos track. No kidding.)

On console I haven't done too much comparing. But AC might as well take the cake there too since PCARS' devs are now, sadly crowfunding PCARS2 and dropped all support for 1. Dunno if mod support on console for AC. Doubt it.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back