Reefer Madness! Saturday Classic Racing 10pm GMTOpen 

• Thread starter reefer
  • 510 comments
First race seemed to have low grip to begin with, had a major off on the first lap as a result. Had a few more epic spins throughout the race so was surprised to end up third. I guess others were exploring the scenery too.

Second race saw some offs which let me get into second with Joe glued to my bumper. Gerber pulled off meaning we were now racing for the lead. Joe ran wide allowing venari through, who pushed me all the way to the flag, finishing 0.8 behind.

That's me used the glitch car now though, shudder to think where I'd have finished using something else. Might try the gordini for spa, ran it recently in stock form and really liked it. We'll see.

I was in fuel conservation mode right from the start of the first race. I didn't practice as usual so I had no strategy but I noticed I used just over a quarter tank on my qualifying lap so I figured I could do four laps driving more conservatively and I was right. I was running 8:00-8:10 laps at the beginning, and my letting off super early and coasting half the lap ended up costing some people some time, especially suts who spun trying to avoid me I think. After that I just pulled over and let anyone who caught me pass me. I made it to lap 4, I think my rear tires were at 6-5 or 5-4 or something and that's from not even trying, and after that I started trying harder again and was back into the 7:50s. I struggled with the two banked left handers (ironic for a NASCAR fan) all race long and the only time I spun the entire race was on the first one on the final lap, which enabled buybon and @Malcolm Tucker to catch me, then I messed up the second banked corner again which let buybon pass me and I was so close to getting back by him for 3rd in the last corners but just couldn't do it. I think my tires were at 6s or maybe 5s at the end. I probably could've done my strategy better with SM tires but I like always using the specified tires for the series no matter what so I used SSs for both runs.

The second race I used the Golf because I knew I had no chance of winning anyway so I decided to have fun and use something not rear wheel drive, and I was originally intending to use the Cosmo but I'll save that for one of the remaining races when I need it. The golf was super fast in the right corners but incredibly slow down the straights. I figured I'd have a chance to win after I swallowed everyone up at the start but then I kept losing spots as more people drove by me as my car could barely top 120mph on most of the straights.

This weekend was damage limitation for me anyway, since who knows if I'll miss one of the remaining rounds, so I had to make as many points as possible. I guess it went ok. At least I like all of the remaining tracks...

There's been two things I've been wishing about this season...one: that ascari was on the schedule....and two: that the Honda 1300 was on the car list...probably THE most underrated car in the game.

Last edited:
Congrats to Venari for winning the 7 lapper and Buybon for the sprint race!

I had lots of practice leading up to the Nurb and come race day felt confident for a podium place. What a difference from the start of the week which saw me running 8:25s a lap.

My strategy for quali was simple; don't come off. I was prepared to give up a few seconds for a safe lap, and that went to plan. However, my race plan went out the window when Venari who was just in front wobbled left and right about half a dozen times. In the process he lost speed and I had two options: stay on it or lift. The racer in me insisted that the latter wasn't an option and I stayed on it and clipped the grass sending me off. How the Venari-man managed not to go off, I'll never know. Watching both replays through, there were several times Ven the man should have ended up facing the wrong way, like we all do after going off, but he didn't! The rider rode the storm(s) like lady luck was strapped in beside him. Was it at the end of lap 6 where he rode the grass for about 200m, both sides, left and right, stayed straight 'enough' and just made the pit entry and no more? Another 5m meters and he'd have missed the pit entry and been up a creek as he was out of fuel and couldn't complete another lap! Ven-man, send lady luck over my way for the next race mate.

Just prior to the wobbling Venari, Glenn was right up there but couldn't manage to stay on either. It's quite obvious there's some fast drivers in this series and I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of Glenn in the future. We were also joined by GTP_VEXD and even although he couldn't hook his car up properly, it's easy to see he knows the Nurb like the back of his hand.

After my off, I pitted (end of lap 1), rejoined and had a great time. Every time I approached a car in front of me, it would fall off. It happened time and time again, I just couldn't believe it. Also, Boris and bbb (and Colin, lap 5?) were kind enough to realise I was faster and slightly eased off in a safe area allowing me to charge through. That was great driving, cheers.

Great to see everyone being clean again. Of course there will always be offs, a little contact and general incidents, but the standard of driving was really good by all. Like others have commented, I made a number of excursions also but I loved it. I can now say that I'll be back on the Nurb just for fun!

There were some great battles throughout, too many to mention all, but a few notable ones include: Venari/Glenn; Dave/Micahel-O-Pear/IfAndOr; If/Buybon; Buybon/bloodyboyblue etc etc.

Unfortunately some were struggling with their set up. Tom, and I guess Boris too. Tom said his Esprit was like a different car to that of practice and Boris looked like he was having fun, not. Dave parked up with what I can only surmise were non-GT issues. Lots of action, lots of jostling and lots of fun.

After battling for 7 hard-fought laps, the very last section before the chequered flag saw Buybon passing bbb on the straight (for 3rd) with bbb fighting all the way to the line and Glenn in very hot pursuit! Great stuff.

I think my tires were at 6s or maybe 5s at the end.

At one point you were down to 4 and 4 mate.

Race 2 was great for me as well. Reverse Grid Order Based on Previous Results: Gerber (Michael-O-Pear) found himself on pole after DCing. He ran for a bit then gave up a few places as he felt he didn't deserve to be on pole. Again, good sportsmanship which is what we like to see.

I started second from back with Ven-man behind me. Together we charged through the pack with the help of Suts and IfAndOr getting grassy, bbb's low straight line speed, and general good luck to sit on Buybon's rear bumper....... and then I fell off again. Ha! All part of the fun. At the time I was actually disappointed for Colin and Ven-man as i couldn't give them a good race. Who wants to win easily? I don't, and I'm sure Colin and Venari would have preferred if I had stayed on to make it a great battle. Colin, you took my pressure well mate! And then Ven-man kept you keen all the way to the line. On finishing, I wanted more. Somehow 1 lap didn't seem enough. I wanted another 7x1, all Reverse Grid! Thanks for the great racing guys and I look forward to next week.

Nürburgring Nordschleife_4.jpg

Nürburgring Nordschleife_5.jpg

Nürburgring Nordschleife_8.jpg

Nürburgring Nordschleife_9.jpg

Nürburgring Nordschleife_1.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife_2.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife_3.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife_6.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife_7.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife_11.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife_12.jpg Nürburgring Nordschleife.jpg

Attachments

• Nürburgring Nordschleife_10.jpg
    Nürburgring Nordschleife_10.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
MEET 4: Nurburgring Nordschleife

Race 1 Results

1st GTP_Venari_____25
2nd joe__kerr______18
3rd buybon355_____15
4th bloodyboyblue___12
5th glenn_cullen____10
6th IfAndOr_________8
7th Michael-O-Pear___6
8th Sutsgrd_________4
9th iamtooma_______2

Dave76543210_____DNF
bcd73____________DNF
GTP_VEXD________DNF

JockeP22_________DNS
Eran003 _________DNS

Race 2 Results

1st buybon355_______25
2nd GTP_Venari______18
3rd joe__kerr________15
4th IfAndOr_________12
5th bloodyboyblue____10
6th glenn_cullen______8
7th Michael-O-Pear____6
8th iamtooma________4
9th Sutsagrd_________2
10th Dave76543210___1

JockeP22_________DNS
bcd73____________DNS
Eran003 _________DNS

Driver Standings (after 4 meets/8 races)

1st buybon355 ______150
2nd bloodyboyblue___138
3rd joe__kerr _______123
4th GTP_Venari ______119
5th dave76543210 ___51
6th iamtooma _______50
7th bcd73 __________26
8th Michael-O-Pear___28
9th glenn_cullen_____18
10th JockeP22 ______12
11th IfAndOr________28
12th Sutsagrd________8
13th Eran0004 _______0

*The best 14 results from 16 races (8 week championship/2 races per meet minus the two lowest scoring races) will count towards the driver's total points score.

Please note: all up-to-date race results and the Driver Standings can be found on post #4 and 5

Last edited:
especially suts who spun trying to avoid me I think
No ones fault but my own.

with the help of Suts
I thought the grass around the ring was a bit long so thought I'd help out by cutting it...a lot!!!:D

First race I has the best lap around the ring ever close in the tail of bbb but then I relaxed and the pirouettes mounted up. :dopey:I also had the worst strategy ever so ended up having to pit twice at the worst points in the race eg lap 4/5 and 6/7!! :dunce:

However my Datsun Fairlady was brilliant to drive. Just ran out of skill!?!

2nd race the RUF was mega fast but I saw someone go off and immediately thought that was a good idea and the grass beckoned. Trying to make myself invisible so others didn't hit me I pressed the wrong buttons and got stuck facing the wrong way for about 10 secs +. I then had a lonely race cutting the grass. :lol:

However I had a great time when I was near others and trying to race them.
Look forward to next week.
:cheers:

Some great photos there Venari. You seem to have an eye for it:bowdown: Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Spa up next. This is one helluva track. I haven't spent a huge amount of time on it, and, again, like the Nurb was included as it's a track I want to improve on. I think I've decided my car(s?). The deciding factor for me is how the car feels after lap 5. I love the 2002, but, oh, the tyre wear. It's quick round Spa, but even at 7s and 8s it becomes a bit of a handful. I can't remember what Jocke was down to when he ran it at Monaco but anything under 7 in the BMW and I struggle badly. Without tyre wear on, I love it though. So, it's boiling down to that happy compromise between being fast enough and good with the tyres. I'm in the 2:39s with Tyre Wear on Very Fast, however, I've already had that car out.

There is no need to change cars but I do like the idea and think it will be good to implement for the next championship.

So the car I'm gonna run (in the first race at least) is slower but is manageable when the tyres hit 7. Twenty minutes works out as an 8 lapper and I think the deciding factor will be how quick the tyres fall off. Unless someone is doing 2:37/38s with Tyre Wear on Very Fast? 2:41s are the norm for me (in one of the cars I'm gonna run).

A Spa vid from back in the day. Great cars, awful tyres, incredibly brave drivers and absolutely no thought of safety for drivers or spectators. Loved the bit where a bar owner is putting out tables, chairs and umbrellas at the side of the track. And there's a dog running around on the track! And some used to race in T-shirts.

This was the week before the Le Mans disaster and the beginning of the end to a casual racing era we see here. Still, Spa Francorchamps remained largely unchanged until 1970, when Armco barriers were added, and about 1 driver per year was killed on the circuit during that period.

There is no need to change cars
You don't mind if I stick with the Stratos then? I might not get the chance to practice and I like the feel of it.

Great Fast Friday video. Gets you in the mood for Speedy Saturday. :)

Just a heads up - There's a sale on in the UK which includes wheels if anyone in interested.
Might save someone a few £.

http://tinyurl.com/q5s7y9d

(And no, you don't have to buy another T150 BB. ;))

lol, can't wait to try it. Hoping it's a noticeable upgrade from DFGT. Either way, it's PS4 ready for when GT7 comes along.

You don't mind if I stick with the Stratos then? I might not get the chance to practice and I like the feel of it.

If, run what you like mate. Any car from the list is okay. We might change it up for the next championship but for this current one, it's your shout. I love how the Stratos goes too and it's fast around Spa. I also like how it looks, which many people just don't get!

If, run what you like mate. Any car from the list is okay. We might change it up for the next championship but for this current one, it's your shout. I love how the Stratos goes too and it's fast around Spa. I also like how it looks, which many people just don't get!

There's people who don't like how the Stratos looks?

Had a crack at spa in race trim, trying out a few cars I haven't used yet,after buying and tuning the ones I didn't have. One in particular was just a whisker under my quickest time, but was so much more controllable on the limit, and seems to be very kind to its tyres whilst still delivering quick times each lap. Don't think I've seen one used in the game at all, let alone our grid. Could be the find of the season!

Had a crack at spa in race trim, trying out a few cars I haven't used yet,after buying and tuning the ones I didn't have. One in particular was just a whisker under my quickest time, but was so much more controllable on the limit, and seems to be very kind to its tyres whilst still delivering quick times each lap. Don't think I've seen one used in the game at all, let alone our grid. Could be the find of the season!

That'll be the Alpine then?

Alpine? Are you adding to the list Joe?

haha.. it should be and I thought it was. My bad. I remember now, in the beginning I think I discounted it as being too slow. I was running it yesterday and it was going round Spa in 2:41.2 and 21:42 for 8 laps with tyre wear at 7788! It's not the fastest but it holds on really well – my best lap was on lap 7 – and there was very little difference to how it felt compared to lap 1 or 2.

I (we) will looking at revising the car list for the next series.

I did a 2:38.4 in the car I'm looking to run this weekend. However, the tyres fall off pretty quickly from lap 5 onwards....... if that helps anyone's strategy;)

Last edited:
2.38.1 in the car I won't be using, 2.39.3 in the car I will be using. Final lap was 2.44.xx with rears down to 4. Quite impressed.

Testing is one thing however, a grid full of cars will undoubtedly produce different results.

Looking forward to this one

Strategy!? That's where I'm going wrong.

My strategy is usually just to go for it and hold on tight, if ye can call that a strategy.

2.38.1 in the car I won't be using, 2.39.3 in the car I will be using. Final lap was 2.44.xx with rears down to 4. Quite impressed.

That's got me worried now. 38.4 was my best and I'd normally run in the 39s. Still, it's better than the car I was gonna run. I know the alpine is not on the list but you should try it as it runs steady for 7/8 laps. Good fun too.

Testing is one thing however, a grid full of cars will undoubtedly produce different results.

For sure Colin, always happens doesn't it. Looking forward to it too.

The only cars no one has used this series are the R30 and the Celica, and the R30 is common at times in 400-450pp lobbies, usually among Japanese people, so that pretty much confirms buybon is in the celica. I've never been able to get any speed out of that car, I remember it barely being able to keep up in boost races.

Well done inspector Blueso!! Celica is quick, easy to set up, and looks after it's tyres really well. I had to really fine tune the gearbox, much more time spent than any other car, but got it working for me. Very surprised, as you need to max out the tuning on it to get it to the PP limit, which in my experience is never usually a good way to go, but it has a good top speed, decent acceleration, good traction out of corners, and is well balanced. Watching the replay it does lean about a bit, but feels great!

Mercedes and Mitsubishi for me this week. Six-speed 'box is useful in the kid goat. Spa is not one of my form tracks, I like it, I'm consistent, I'm just slow in a couple of key corners and I can't get a handle on a better line.

R30 Skyline was in the running this week, I decided to leave it for a power track. Mercedes seemed to hook'n'chuck at Spa, it should be fast everywhere but it's disappointed until now. Toyota was bottom of the first division cars in testing, it's fun and very like the GTO, but with one less ratio. Also, it wasn't as planted through Eau Rouge for my style.

I couldn't hook the Lancia up at all here - Eau Rouge was a mess. Only the Golf was slower.

I like the R30, it's tuned and ready to go and I'll probably use it for one of the remaining tracks. Haven't tried the merc yet, but it's cool so I want to use it too at some point. Then the lady boy is on the list to use. That was my quickest car at spa, so maybe for apricot hill or something. Speaking of which, it's my most used track at 4800 miles, meaning I've done 2000 laps of it :eek:

How do you know? Is there an odometer for the tracks I missed?

** ahhhh, favourite track in status. Midfield here (oddly) with 2,898.1mi. I know I've done more (unsaved) miles at Trial Mountain...

The Mercedes (like other Germans we know) has a habit of ignoring track limits at Spa. I shall attempt to keep this in check. *whistle*

Also, I can do 2m40s in race trim fairly consistently in most of the cars, but the heavier ones need a tyre change. I tried the Merc at 8 laps and actually got the rears to 0. Cue a 4m lap. :D

I (we) will looking at revising the car list for the next series.

I've got something that might be useful. I'll post it later if you're interested.

Last edited:
Hmm. Done another race run on the celica and have lost a second per lap. Final lap 2.45 now which I can live with I suppose. Really enjoying this car at this circuit though. Just need to keep it tidy to look after the tyres.

I am now using my freshly purchased T150 which may explain some of it but I don't feel there's that much to get used to. Steering is better feeling, brake pedal marginally better but not much. Great change paddles are a god send after the pathetic buttons on the dfgt. This should make me quicker not slower!

Hmm. Done another race run on the celica and have lost a second per lap. Final lap 2.45 now which I can live with I suppose. Really enjoying this car at this circuit though. Just need to keep it tidy to look after the tyres.
In this year's GT Academy there was this thing many people have reported that sometimes they get worse grip level and worse lap times than usual, and there was some kind of trick to reset it. Maybe you have lost a second due to something like this.

Yeah DFGT "paddles" are not so juicy to press. That's why I use the sequential stick or whatever it's called. I only use the "paddles" with super fast formula like cars

Didn't know that Michael. Seems odd though. I would normally say it is down to the driver but I'm putting in really consistent times. Just hapens they're consistently slower lol

@IfAndOr , man your still amazing on the brakes
Thinking about it my G27 peddles have a progressive brake spring mod which makes it much stiffer to press. It really does help in preventing lockups.
T150... brake pedal marginally better but not much.
They can be upgraded (and possibly via an adapter used with G25/27/29 peddles) but that's more money.
Maybe a simple mod similar to this might help. It'll give resistance to fully pushing the peddle down.

Just hapens they're consistently slower
Are you using the same time of day & weather settings? Track temperatures do make a difference I believe.

Yeah it's a saved setting so everything the same. Weird.

Cool brake pedal mod, I'll live with the pedal just now but may look at this in the new year. I tried the bungy cord trick but didn't like it.

Back