rFactor

• Thread starter husa
  • 5,397 comments
It's stuck there. It can't even click "Accept".

You mean your rFactor froze?

Be sure to familiarize yourself with rFactor's directory structure and what goes where. Not all MODs can be extracted to the root directory. Some you are better off dragging from the archive to the appropriate folder. Be especially careful with plug-ins. It's not that complicated, just familiarize yourself with the directory structure.

@Voltaic, I'm familiar with the directory structure. The problem is that I can't click on anything.

I'd suggest a fresh install with no mods, enter the information, close, re-open and verify its working, then proceed to mod the hell out of it ;)

Or just uninstall everything from the mods and try it again vanilla.

I'll try that @Kurei, I really hope your suggestion works.

EDIT: Oh my god...I didn't try clicking the actual text entry fields. :lol:

Last edited:
Has anyone tried making multiple copies of the Steam version for bigger mods, or anything standalone? Actually, what is the best technique for all that? I got rFactor very early on in my PC 'career' so I just installed a ton of mods on one installation, wondered why it ground to a halt every time I tried to change car class and gave up... I guess Workshop integration is asking for a bit much, why there aren't any racing sims on Steam with that feature is beyond me.

Has anyone tried making multiple copies of the Steam version for bigger mods, or anything standalone? Actually, what is the best technique for all that? I got rFactor very early on in my PC 'career' so I just installed a ton of mods on one installation, wondered why it ground to a halt every time I tried to change car class and gave up... I guess Workshop integration is asking for a bit much, why there aren't any racing sims on Steam with that feature is beyond me.

I have different rFactor installs for specific MODs, some don't play nice with others. Not sure how it would work with Steam.

Can't do that with Steam.

Aw, really? I wonder if there's any way we can set up symbolic links to 'install' mods on demand manually. I guess I'll have to install it and poke around it for myself.

Just read this about the Steam version, highlights being:
- Large address aware (i.e. supports 4GB of RAM instead of just 2GB)
- Profiles for common controllers
- Supports 64 buttons on up to 6 controllers instead of 32 on 3
- Steam achievements
- Steamworks multiplayer
- Music player with mappable buttons (?)
- Lower minimum FOV with buttons to adjust on the fly
- Some other things about fixing pitstops and servers that I don't fully understand.

But the +fullproc command line parameter hasn't been enabled by default so all of you lucky people with multi-core processors* will want to add that (Google 'Steam command line parameter' for that if you don't already know how).

Can't find anything about mods breaking because of Steam or how to have multiple installs though.

*I think that's everyone, right?

Edit: I've done some testing and I've found that you can just duplicate the Steam version, install a mod on it and it'll work when you launch it; Steam will say you're playing rFactor but the overlay won't work. If you then add the duplicate to your Steam library as a shortcut, you can give it a name to differentiate it (like, say, "rFactor DRM Revival") and then the overlay will work. At least it worked for me, I've got one copy with DRM Revival and the other with the Super Clio mod and they both work fine, I can launch one and then the other and it's all ok. I wonder if you could use a symbolic link so you can have all the circuits shared between each separate install? Is that what people used to do?

Last edited:
Well, I played a couple of hours of it last night after my initial screw-up. I kinda find it a bit inconvenient to change car classes, and my laptop is not up to the task of sustaining a decent frame rate. Maybe I should start saving up for a PC build.

DK
and my laptop is not up to the task of sustaining a decent frame rate. Maybe I should start saving up for a PC build.

Do this:
  1. Right-click on rFactor in the Library in Steam and select Properties.
  2. Under the General tab click the Set launch options... button.
  3. Enter "+fullproc" (without the quotes, of course) and click OK.
  4. Close the Properties window and launch rFactor.
That should make rFactor take advantage of the other cores your laptop presumably has so it might make it run a bit smoother, it might not though, it depends on your laptop I guess.

It has an i3 dual core processor @1.7GHz and Intel HD4000 graphics. I'm at work at the moment, I'll try your solution later.

I've set graphics to "Basic", it runs fine on courses with not a lot of detail, but when I get to city circuits the frame rate is erratic.

DK
I've set graphics to "Basic", it runs fine on courses with not a lot of detail, but when I get to city circuits the frame rate is erratic.

Oh, yeah, that's the other thing to bear in mind. Some mods refuse to work at all on low settings because the developers sometimes just don't bother to include the low-res textures or low-poly models that rFactor would look for if you turn the settings down. I can't think of any off the top of my head but it does happen. You may be able to find tweaks to further improve the performance, I remember one that I think was for NFS: Shift that removes certain particle effects and trackside details beyond what you can do with the in-game settings, but I think basically any modern computer with a discrete GPU can run rFactor maxed at 60fps... Except for Intel's integrated stuff, sadly.

Aw, really? I wonder if there's any way we can set up symbolic links to 'install' mods on demand manually. I guess I'll have to install it and poke around it for myself.

Just read this about the Steam version, highlights being:
- Large address aware (i.e. supports 4GB of RAM instead of just 2GB)
- Profiles for common controllers
- Supports 64 buttons on up to 6 controllers instead of 32 on 3
- Steam achievements
- Steamworks multiplayer
- Music player with mappable buttons (?)
- Lower minimum FOV with buttons to adjust on the fly
- Some other things about fixing pitstops and servers that I don't fully understand.

But the +fullproc command line parameter hasn't been enabled by default so all of you lucky people with multi-core processors* will want to add that (Google 'Steam command line parameter' for that if you don't already know how).

Can't find anything about mods breaking because of Steam or how to have multiple installs though.

*I think that's everyone, right?

Edit: I've done some testing and I've found that you can just duplicate the Steam version, install a mod on it and it'll work when you launch it; Steam will say you're playing rFactor but the overlay won't work. If you then add the duplicate to your Steam library as a shortcut, you can give it a name to differentiate it (like, say, "rFactor DRM Revival") and then the overlay will work. At least it worked for me, I've got one copy with DRM Revival and the other with the Super Clio mod and they both work fine, I can launch one and then the other and it's all ok. I wonder if you could use a symbolic link so you can have all the circuits shared between each separate install? Is that what people used to do?

Thank you for all the valuable information neema_t!

The ability to have additional controllers (6!!!) is a great addition, right now I am unable to use my sequential shifter. The ability by default to use more than 2GB of RAM is also great. Finally, the ability to have multiple copies is great since many (great) mods do not play well with others.

I wonder if the Steam version also plays nice with NVIDIA cards.

I am waiting to hear from ISI on a key code to redeem rFactor on Steam. Anyone receive one?

Update: I just got my Steam redeem key :)

Last edited:
Do this:
That should make rFactor take advantage of the other cores your laptop presumably has so it might make it run a bit smoother, it might not though, it depends on your laptop I guess.

Reading that, I'm curious on if that would help improve the graphics more on my HP 15. While its not the steam version, I I'd like to see if I can do the same as my Laptop has a AMD A8 6410 Quad core processor.

Reading that, I'm curious on if that would help improve the graphics more on my HP 15. While its not the steam version, I I'd like to see if I can do the same as my Laptop has a AMD A8 6410 Quad core processor.

It probably won't improve the graphics, but it might improve the frame rate if the single-core performance of your laptop is being reached. I don't think it'll make a difference for me with my 3.3GHz i5 but I might do a lap, watch the replay, enable +fullproc and then watch it again and see if the frame rate changes (that should be a viable test, right?).

Also, to enable +fullproc on the non-Steam version it's a bit different. You have to:

• Make a shortcut to rFactor somewhere (like the Desktop).
  • Right click the file and select Properties.
  • Under the shortcut tab, you will see an area that says Target, this will list the exact location of the file within quotation marks, like "C:\Program Files\rFactor\rFactor.exe"
  • Modify the Target adding "+fullproc" after the last quotation mark: "C:\Program Files\rFactor\rFactor.exe" +fullproc
  • Press apply and start rFactor via the shortcut.
I just copy/pasted that and modified it a bit to make it relevant, I don't know which OS it's for but the idea is the same for XP, Vista, Windows 7, probably 8 and maybe 10.

I wonder if the Steam version also plays nice with NVIDIA cards.

You're most welcome and it works fine on my GTX 680, exactly as the non-Steam version did.

Do this:

Interesting, I do not have those options when right clicking the rFactor app icon in the Steam folder. Even the shortcut looks different and I am unable to add the "+fullproc".

By the way, I am on Win 7 64bit. The image below shows the properties of the shortcuts, one standard the other Steam.

2015-03-05 15_46_56-Program Manager.jpg

On the NVIDIA cards, since I installed a GTX 980 I started having issues, I solved them by using the NVIDIA FPS Fix 0.30

Last edited:
...Edit: I've done some testing and I've found that you can just duplicate the Steam version, install a mod on it and it'll work when you launch it; Steam will say you're playing rFactor but the overlay won't work. If you then add the duplicate to your Steam library as a shortcut, you can give it a name to differentiate it (like, say, "rFactor DRM Revival") and then the overlay will work. At least it worked for me, I've got one copy with DRM Revival and the other with the Super Clio mod and they both work fine, I can launch one and then the other and it's all ok. I wonder if you could use a symbolic link so you can have all the circuits shared between each separate install? Is that what people used to do?

When you say "duplicate, I assume you mean you copied/pasted the entire rFactor folder in the same Steam directory? NVM, I tried it and it works!

Cheers

Last edited:
Interesting, I do not have those options when right clicking the rFactor app icon in the Steam folder. Even the shortcut looks different and I am unable to add the "+fullproc".

You do it through Steam itself, if you right click on the game in the library window you can do it there. I'm on my laptop right now but Steam is identical on OS X, when you right click the game you get this menu:

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 00.59.48.png

Then you click "Set launch options" (the button is hidden behind the launch options window, I forgot OS X doesn't include the cursor in screenshots) and then you enter +fullproc in this text box, click ok, close the properties window and it'll be applied.

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 00.59.52.png

When you duplicate the Steam version I think you'll have to make a shortcut for the duplicate, add the parameter (as you have) and then add that shortcut to Steam. It's a bit convoluted but should work, I don't know why the developer didn't just set +fullproc by default...

As for the FPS fix, I haven't actually measured my frame rate but it looks like 60fps to me on my card but maybe that's just because I've been playing a lot of console garba-- er, I mean GT6 lately so my eyes aren't used to a modern frame rate.

Tried it and apart from the lighting seeming slightly improved (at least compared to when I recorded the gameplay prior), not much of difference. Weirdly, the FPS when onboard a car seems slower then usual though.

Last edited:
You do it through Steam itself, if you right click on the game in the library window you can do it there. I'm on my laptop right now but Steam is identical on OS X, when you right click the game you get this menu:

View attachment 323272

Then you click "Set launch options" (the button is hidden behind the launch options window, I forgot OS X doesn't include the cursor in screenshots) and then you enter +fullproc in this text box, click ok, close the properties window and it'll be applied.

View attachment 323271

When you duplicate the Steam version I think you'll have to make a shortcut for the duplicate, add the parameter (as you have) and then add that shortcut to Steam. It's a bit convoluted but should work, I don't know why the developer didn't just set +fullproc by default...

As for the FPS fix, I haven't actually measured my frame rate but it looks like 60fps to me on my card but maybe that's just because I've been playing a lot of console garba-- er, I mean GT6 lately so my eyes aren't used to a modern frame rate.

Thank you for showing me how to do it on Steam!

I tested rFactor yesterday, there are some oddities. On the plus side I can use my sequential without issues. On the downside, I mapped the "Speed Limiter" on my wheel, for some reason the default is set to OFF, when I click it the first time it turns it ON.

On the NVIDIA, the FPS run smooth, however when testing to record I run into the same problem. The FPS drops from 90+ down to 20 or less FPS. I'll keep testing it now that I know how to do the +fullproc :)

Update: I managed to add the +fullproc to the installed rFactor. If you look at the screenshot I uploaded, the duplicated rFactor shortcut does not allow me to add +fullproc to it. How do I add the duplicate (or shortcut) to Steam? I managed to add the duplicate to Steam, no properties options however.

Sorry, I'm a n00b on Steam :P

Last edited:
Update: I managed to add the +fullproc to the installed rFactor. If you look at the screenshot I uploaded, the duplicated rFactor shortcut does not allow me to add +fullproc to it. How do I add the duplicate (or shortcut) to Steam?

Sorry, I'm a n00b on Steam :P

Do mean the one ending in "EnduSimtek"? You have to apply the +fullproc thing to the shortcut in Windows - as you already have - then add the shortcut to Steam. To do that, the main Steam window should have "+ Add a game..." in the bottom left corner, you click that and then "Add a non-Steam game...", that will open a window that automatically tries to find all of your programs but you should just click the browse button and navigate to where that shortcut is, click ok then "Add selected programs", that should add an entry in your Steam library (in the "Games" category, in case you have other categories) that takes its name from the shortcut, so you'd have "rFactor - EnduSimtek" added there.

It won't work exactly like the simple Steam version of rFactor - it won't track your play time but I think it might allow you to unlock achievements and it'll show people what you're playing exactly; you can launch the shortcut outside of Steam but Steam will just say you're playing rFactor. It's not really a huge deal but for tidiness I intend to make a few standalones and add them all to Steam, just as I have with all the good GPL mods.

Do mean the one ending in "EnduSimtek"? You have to apply the +fullproc thing to the shortcut in Windows - as you already have - then add the shortcut to Steam. To do that, the main Steam window should have "+ Add a game..." in the bottom left corner, you click that and then "Add a non-Steam game...", that will open a window that automatically tries to find all of your programs but you should just click the browse button and navigate to where that shortcut is, click ok then "Add selected programs", that should add an entry in your Steam library (in the "Games" category, in case you have other categories) that takes its name from the shortcut, so you'd have "rFactor - EnduSimtek" added there.

It won't work exactly like the simple Steam version of rFactor - it won't track your play time but I think it might allow you to unlock achievements and it'll show people what you're playing exactly; you can launch the shortcut outside of Steam but Steam will just say you're playing rFactor. It's not really a huge deal but for tidiness I intend to make a few standalones and add them all to Steam, just as I have with all the good GPL mods.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. The one on the left is a standard rFactor install shortcut, on the right is the shortcut for the duplicated Steam install. That I can see anywhere, there is no option to add +fullproc to the Steam rFactor shortcut.

I honestly don't care about the Steam tracking or achievements, so it's anon issue. Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. The one on the left is a standard rFactor install shortcut, on the right is the shortcut for the duplicated Steam install. That I can see anywhere, there is no option to add +fullproc to the Steam rFactor shortcut.

I honestly don't care about the Steam tracking or achievements, so it's anon issue. Thanks for your help!

Oh I see, sorry, I'll have to have a look later on when I'm at my PC. I just kind of assumed making a shortcut to a duplicated Steam install would let you add command line options, I haven't done it myself yet.

Back