Richard Burns Rally - RSRBR 2016

• Thread starter richiem2282
  • 338 comments
I forgot to add that I'm using the new 132 driver on pc. You can download it by clicking on the clubsport wheel on the pull down menu in the fanatec support page under pc. It's actually still a beta I believe, but it works fine for me in both iracing and RBR. I was using driver 116 before and with 132 the force feed back seems to be a bit stronger. I had to turn it down a little in both iracing and on RBR.

MadRR
I forgot to add that I'm using the new 132 driver on pc. You can download it by clicking on the clubsport wheel on the pull down menu in the fanatec support page under pc. It's actually still a beta I believe, but it works fine for me in both iracing and RBR. I was using driver 116 before and with 132 the force feed back seems to be a bit stronger. I had to turn it down a little in both iracing and on RBR.

Updated the firmware, sorted the problem but when I got to use the wheel I noticed that the wheel was loose and had a knocking in the housing, emailed back and forth with Fanatec and they tell me its not a problem with the wheel, that I need to allow for tolerance for movement, funny how my other wheel never had a problem like that. I've honestly lost all faith in Fanatec's build quality since they are making in china and this will be my last product from them.

Updated the firmware, sorted the problem but when I got to use the wheel I noticed that the wheel was loose and had a knocking in the housing, emailed back and forth with Fanatec and they tell me its not a problem with the wheel, that I need to allow for tolerance for movement, funny how my other wheel never had a problem like that. I've honestly lost all faith in Fanatec's build quality since they are making in china and this will be my last product from them.

Have you tried to put the old firmware back on it and see if the wheel still does it? If your wheel is messed up that sucks big time. I know because I've been there with 2 gt2's like I said before on one of the other pages. I did warn you about the gt2's, but it was a little to late since you had already ordered yours before I put that post up. Did you send a video of it to fanatec? If the wheel is not working they have to warranty it long as it's in the 2 years from the original purchase date. When the 2 gt2's I had messed up I just sent them a small video of it and the original invoice and I got them to send me a new wheel.

I wouldn't give up on fanatec because of this one wheel. The gt2's were prone to right many problems from what I have seen. In the past year I've owned the 2 gt2's that I had problems with but I've also had a CSR, Clubsport V1's, CSR shifter kit and currently a CSR Elite and Clubsport V2's and I'll have my CSW and BMW rim in next week and of all that the only thing I had a problem was with the GT2's.

Have you tried to put the old firmware back on it and see if the wheel still does it? If your wheel is messed up that sucks big time. I know because I've been there with 2 gt2's like I said before on one of the other pages. I did warn you about the gt2's, but it was a little to late since you had already ordered yours before I put that post up. Did you send a video of it to fanatec? If the wheel is not working they have to warranty it long as it's in the 2 years from the original purchase date. When the 2 gt2's I had messed up I just sent them a small video of it and the original invoice and I got them to send me a new wheel.

I wouldn't give up on fanatec because of this one wheel. The gt2's were prone to right many problems from what I have seen. In the past year I've owned the 2 gt2's that I had problems with but I've also had a CSR, Clubsport V1's, CSR shifter kit and currently a CSR Elite and Clubsport V2's and I'll have my CSW and BMW rim in next week and of all that the only thing I had a problem was with the GT2's.

the wheel is working fine, only problem is the knocking on the shaft between the rim and the hub, hardware problem, not software. Sent them 3 videos throughout the emails back and forth. Just very disappointed in the way they are doing business, they never offered me a replacement wheel, just a refund and I'd have to pay for it to be sent back due to them believing that the hardware was not at fault. As for not giving upon Fanatec, if this is the quality and service they provide customers with, and repeat buy customers at that, well then I can't part with anymore money, especially nearly $800 for the new wheel and hub is this is their new business plan. Don't get me wrong, up to this point Fanatec was my answer to Sim equipment, and i was recommending them to a lot of people, well that ends now. So after all that, i have 2 options, Keep the wheel I have and just deal with the looseness or send it back for a refund, at a crazy shipping cost...
A Rock and a hard place...

RSRBR NEWS:

Release of the update 06 in approximately 16 days, I'll post the changes once the appear online

Last edited:
the wheel is working fine, only problem is the knocking on the shaft between the rim and the hub, hardware problem, not software. Sent them 3 videos throughout the emails back and forth. Just very disappointed in the way they are doing business, they never offered me a replacement wheel, just a refund and I'd have to pay for it to be sent back due to them believing that the hardware was not at fault. As for not giving upon Fanatec, if this is the quality and service they provide customers with, and repeat buy customers at that, well then I can't part with anymore money, especially nearly $800 for the new wheel and hub is this is their new business plan. Don't get me wrong, up to this point Fanatec was my answer to Sim equipment, and i was recommending them to a lot of people, well that ends now. So after all that, i have 2 options, Keep the wheel I have and just deal with the looseness or send it back for a refund, at a crazy shipping cost...
A Rock and a hard place...

Yeah man that sucks. Don't know what to tell ya. I've never had any problems getting a wheel warrantied with fanatec. They replaced both my gt2's after I sent them the videos. Maybe ask them if they would consider replacing the wheel since you just got it such a short time ago. Did you ever send them the invoice as well? Maybe they didn't know you just got it. They weren't trying to replace the first gt2 I had either until I sent them the invoice and they saw I received the wheel the day before I emailed them.

Worst case you could send it back and go with a different wheel like the CSR. Shipping shouldn't be to much if your in NY and it has to go to CA it should only be around $20-$25. That's how much it usually us when I get wheels from fanatec. It would be worth that to me to have a good working wheel instead of a half way working wheel.

On a side note I got my CSW base with BMW rim in today. Played with it on iracing for about 4 hours and I'm liking it so far. The car elite I had is a great wheel but I like the csw even better. I just got to play around with the settings some more. I haven't tried it on RBR yet so might have to give it a go this weekend.

Cool, I'd love to know how the new wheel runs on RSRBR, keep us posted ;-)

I decided to do a few stages today with the new csw. It feels pretty similar to the csr elite on RBR. With the much nicer and full size wheel rim it makes it more enjoyable to play. I have pretty much the same settings other than the drift mode just turned on 1. With the csw the drift mode is much more sensitive. Before with the elite I had it on 4 and at first I still had it off on the csw. I ended up turning it on to 1, but that's far as I'll go. Just from being off to on 1 it's a night a day difference how much faster the wheel can turn. With the more settings the csw has I could do some more tuning if I take more time. For now though it felt pretty good.

Fanatec has a rally wheel rim that's going to be coming out for the csw sometime. They said the nascar rim will probably be next to come out with the rally rim right behind it. That will be awesome when it does because then you could play RBR with a rally wheel rim.

Hei there all,
I'm a newbie round here so be gentle with me. I am thinking of getting a copy of Richard Burns Rally for my PC. Thing is, I heard that these games don't run very well on laptops. Well, I have a Sony Vaio E-Series with an AMD Radeon Graphics Card, AMD E-350 Dual Core Processor (1.6GHz each core) with Windows 7 64-bit as my OS. Would love to run this on my system as there hasn't been a decent rally game in years and it seems there's a quite a large, friendly community of RBRers out there. Any help appreciated.

Richie :)

Well you've got a graphics processor so you're probably safe, the game is pretty old so the requirements are super low. Also it's very, very cheap (I got my copy for £5 which included shipping) so even if it doesn't work you could give it to a friend or hold on to it until you decide to buy a new laptop or something.

I have just got this game, it's brilliant, the handling is great and feels so realistic, however my computer is barely running it at default settings. Are the newer mods harder on the pc and graphics card?? and is there a way to make the game graphics less but not with resolution??

Thanks

Okay Richie. I'm going to take the plunge and do this thing. Fingers crossed it runs okay. I've been watching all the videos on YouTube that people have posted and I'm stunned how accurately detailed the cars are and the physics of the cars. How they slide about and so forth like real cars. I'm impressed.
Is it easy to draw and add our own car skins and do they show up online or do the other online users not see it unless it's installed? :drool:

Okay Richie. I'm going to take the plunge and do this thing. Fingers crossed it runs okay. I've been watching all the videos on YouTube that people have posted and I'm stunned how accurately detailed the cars are and the physics of the cars. How they slide about and so forth like real cars. I'm impressed.
Is it easy to draw and add our own car skins and do they show up online or do the other online users not see it unless it's installed? :drool:

Thanks Rich. Ya man, when you get a good flow on RSRBR, nothing out there comes close. Did you check out my YouTube channel, I have lots of RSRBR videos there too. What kinda of wheel are you using?
Let me know if you need any help with installations etc. As for the skins, I'm not too knowledgeable on that part of the Mod, but hopefully someone on the thread can help if you need it.

Not got a wheel yet but it's my birthday in 2 months so might get one then but trying to find a decent one that I can use with PC and PS3. I saw your video of the 2012 MINI John Cooper Works. Awesome stuff.

Not got a wheel yet but it's my birthday in 2 months so might get one then but trying to find a decent one that I can use with PC and PS3. I saw your video of the 2012 MINI John Cooper Works. Awesome stuff.

Nice 1, what are you thinking of getting? I have a GT2 from Fanatec, but I got my brother back in Ireland one of those Logitech GT wheel & GT5 for christmas a few years back, a few of my friends have that wheel and seem to be a good option if your on a budget and wanna try a wheel before making it a full time hobby, especially with the pedals included. The Fanatec GT2 with pedals cost around $400. I do hear though that RBR can be a pain without a wheel only using a pad, but that issue should be sorted in a few months ;-)

Logitech-DFGT.jpg

Originally, I wanted to build a home simulator. I was going to output the computer to a projector via HDMI, get an X-Rocker chair and a steering wheel mounted on a stand or something. Is the Logitech any good? I fancy something that has a clutch and a handbrake.

Originally, I wanted to build a home simulator. I was going to output the computer to a projector via HDMI, get an X-Rocker chair and a steering wheel mounted on a stand or something. Is the Logitech any good? I fancy something that has a clutch and a handbrake.

That would be a cool setup. The lads back home say its a great wheel for the money. I don't have a handbrake but I use the Fanatec sequential gear lever for the handbrake in RSRBR, this only works on PC unless the PS3 game your using lets you remap the settings. At the end of the day, it all depends on your budget, for my own setup after the wheel, pedals, shifters and Playseat I was in around $900.

My Setup:

picture.php

That's looking pretty sweet if I do say so myself. Does the Playseat fold up at all?

It can, not sure how easy it is to do after every use. I store mine on the left side of the TV, not ideal, but I don't have too many options in an NYC 1 bedroom apartment.. lol

I played this again tonight/thismorning with the old 2011 mod, I have to say I didn't find it to be so great even if I did like it before. Most of the non standard car models were terrible physics wise and overall I felt the FFB was quite bad, gave me no feel for the grip and very loosey goosey with a G27. I also found a lot of things annoying.

1. You need a handbrake, unless you can make your own makeshift handbrake you're screwed here because there aren't any wheels that come with handbrakes, I tried using the clutch pedal as the handbrake and it screwed me for the clutch and was weird. But you really do need one.

2. You cant change down gear when you want, you have to be in the right speed range before it will change and it isnt very lenient so often enough downshifts won't happen because the revs are tiny bit off, I find this annoying as hell as I use the gear changes to affect the way the car handles but this doesn't allow you to do it, so half the time I drive expecting something to happen as if I was in (for example) 2nd gear, but I'm in 3rd and I get understeer city. I've seen people using H-shifters, but there is no option in the game for this, nor can I find one in the 2011 mod so I was using flappy paddles.

3. Driving views are all terrible, the outside (bumper cam) view is a little off and I found myself hitting things because the edges are not what they might seem compared to other games. I found the incar views to be almost unusable, no bonnet view with the 2011 mod cars.

4. Co-driver, he is useless. I tried listening to what he was saying at a Czech stage and it got me in a lot of trouble, in the end I had to just ignore him and learn the track myself.

While the game looks good in videos, I just don't feel the driving/play experience quite matches up to how it looks in motion. All of these things just added up to an experience that wasnt very enjoyable for me tonight and the game felt very very dated.

Last edited:
I'd have to say that I don't really feel none of those thing you mentioned really. Do you have all the updates for the 2011 mod? If not I would just go ahead and download the updates for it or just get the 2012 mod and get all the updates. In those updates they have physics updates as well. I've never had any problems feeling for traction and the ffb has always been great. I've used 3 different wheels since I've had RBR too, fanatec csr, csr elite and now csw.

Of course your going to need some kind of handbrake even if it's button on your wheel. You just need a handbrake period to drive a rally car around some of the tight hairpins. I had a fanatec shifter for my handbrake like richeim, but I don't have it anymore so I just use a button on my wheel. It's nice to have something to pull back on, but I can do just as good with a button on my wheel so I can leave both hands on the wheel.

I've never had a problem downshifting before. If it's not letting you go down a gear there's a good chance your rpm's are to high and it would just be in the limiter if it was a gear lower.

I just use the in car cockpit view and it's works great. I mainly play iracing and the only view up there is the in car cockpit view so that's what I'm used to. Makes it more realistic as well even though you might not be able to run quite as fast of times.

If your using the regular co driver then I agree it sucks. You can go to the rally sim forum where the mods are and get a co driver pack. I'm using Nicky Grist now who was Colin McRae's co driver. They have others as well. With the new co drivers they tell you the corners like "1 left, 3 right, etc" rather then the default one that's like "hard left, easy right" which is annoying I agree. I started to do much better once I got a different co driver. It made a big difference for me. You know you can also adjust when they tell you the notes right?

Try those things out and see if that helps any.

3. Driving views are all terrible, the outside (bumper cam) view is a little off and I found myself hitting things because the edges are not what they might seem compared to other games. I found the incar views to be almost unusable, no bonnet view with the 2011 mod cars.

Camhack
This is where you can play around with some different camera angles within the game. Once the stage has started after you selected your options, make sure you're in an interior view in the game. At this point hit the * button on the numpad only. You notice that the FOV is better, and if your running a 16x10 setup, it won't look fat anymore.

With the camhack enabled, you can now use the numpad buttons to move left, right, up and down. In any view. By default you can use the number keys (above letters) to select default ones. If you find a view you like, you can hold down the ALT key and hit a number. Your view is now saved by hitting the corresponding number.

I will try the 2012 mod to see if that will help things. As for the views, I usually use the cockpit view but found it terrible in the game with little visibility and horrible seating positions, it's not so bad with all cars but with most cars I found it almost unusable, which is why I would rather a bonnet view.

The gear thing is because of revs as I said, but the game is so strict and limits you based on this, that means if I'm around 10rpm too high for the change it still won't go into gear when I tell it, but I don't realise this until its too late half the time, usually when the car understeers off the road. I've got a habbit of using engine braking to slow the car down a lot, and this system doesn't really allow it.

The F1 car in iRacing does this too, but it isnt half as annoying as the RBR version and atleast in the case of iRacing the real life car has the system where in the case of the rally cars they don't have such a system.

I do remember a good while back playing this game and enjoying it, but the last 2 times i've tried I really haven't, didn't even like the physics/handling at all and annoyed like crazy by the gear system.

Bigbazz
The gear thing is because of revs as I said, but the game is so strict and limits you based on this, that means if I'm around 10rpm too high for the change it still won't go into gear when I tell it, but I don't realise this until its too late half the time, usually when the car understeers off the road. I've got a habbit of using engine braking to slow the car down a lot, and this system doesn't really allow it.

I'll have to play it to refresh my memory but I'm almost certain I don't have this problem. You've got a G27, right? Do you use a manual clutch and the shifter mod?

I'll have to play it to refresh my memory but I'm almost certain I don't have this problem. You've got a G27, right? Do you use a manual clutch and the shifter mod?

No i'm stuck with the game's default sequential only gearing, using the flappy paddles, and was using the clutch as a handbrake. I would like to be able to use my H-shifter and a clutch though, but then I would have to work out what to do with the handbrake.

Also the FFB I just cant stand it, its like its loose almost all the time completely loose apart from picking up bumps or going strong when I'm in a ditch. It really feels like I just cannot feel the road.

And the steering, I've tried 400, 360, 270 and 900. I just can't find something that feels right, it doesn't feel linear, and with the cockpit view its very offputting when the wheel only moves an absolutely tiny ammount, I'd rather not have it there if its just going to be a distraction by not moving properly.

but then I would have to work out what to do with the handbrake.

I have been using a wheel button, which is far from ideal of course but when tapped in conjunction with lift-off oversteer and light braking to shift the weight forward just that little bit more, it's quite workable. Then again I'm nowhere near competitively quick, I just like to have fun chucking cars around, mainly because I don't have a proper handbrake... Hmm.

If/when you work out a solution, here's the link I got the H-shifter plugin from. Not that it was difficult to find on Google or anything.

Playing around with the mod a bit more I found a car I like, the Porsche 911 Turbo (Lol), it has good FFB where I can feel the tyre grip and it also has a bonnet view, though it feels or drives nothing like a rally car and understeers a lot, because I can see what I'm doing and can feel the car through the FFB I was actually able to jump right in and complete a stage without killing myself. I settled at 540 degrees steering for now.

Anyway I will update to 2012 mod and try the H-shifter plugin, cheers.. I didnt even know it existed.

Back