Ride 4

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 738 comments
Nothing interesting to write really. Super difficult race at Sugo in the wet in the 600 sports bike class. They put in a small chicane at the end of the long right-hander before the start-finish straight and of course, the CPU can manage it flawlessly so kept dumping me off. Lowered the difficulty right down just to get past it.

Here's a pic completely unrelated to it :)
MrBungle06_RIDE4_20201015_02-19-05.jpg

edit: question: why do I only see a red cross when I link to an image? I then can't edit out that red cross when I upload an image instead? Cheers

Last edited:
Is that a game option or TV option. I play on the Xboxx if that is a PC option? I'm not at home so I can't check but is that the option where there are 2 options because I already have that maxed.

Last edited:
AI has some serious issues
- Very little awareness of player
- Magic brakes
- Very slow on straights
- Magic cornering grip

For god sake, they are getting on my nerve :banghead: Restarting 4 or 6 times a race just to be able to get through the first 500m, just inacceptable 👎

Yeah, I'm beginning to get fed up with this game because of all this. In Ride 3 it was relatively easy to gain an advantage on corner sections, and it was kinda satisfying. But there's no hope with all these super-Agostinis in R4, that is if you actually make it to the first corner.

Yep....near the end of the first batch of Asian Cup races, and one night race has me beaten at the moment. I put the A.I all the way down to the easiest setting, but try as I might on the corners, I can't hold a line as fast as the A.I can. If I try to apply just a touch more throttle, the back end steps out.

My only choice is to wait until I can afford possibly the racing Fireblade model, which should have much better top speed I think, then just fully upgrade it. It's nuts really.....much harder than Ride 3 at the moment. I have no idea how they play tested this and thought it was an improvement over R3.

There is a lot to be liked in this game. The AI problems were less noticable in the beginning but now it starts to become a problem. I don't have FB but I asume many expressed their concern already. This is an issue that must be solved, it simply can't be to such a thing ruins such a nice a varied game in general.

I think the game looks polished, packed with content and lots of variation. It's the first Milestone game I play that I think goes into the A or A+ games. Just fix the annoying AI and please simply invalidate a lap in the timetrials!

In R3 I could make money in time trials. In R4 I get little cr for putting in laps.

Pcars2 spoiled me. When I max gamma in R4 it looks like an overcast dim lighting like in Forza 7..

Italian developers didn't get enough attention when they were young... Remember TDU Ferarri Challenge...Grind

Last edited:
Like Doblocruiser says, there is a lot to like. I for one really appreciate the very obvious care and attention that has gone into the bike models. It must be one heck of a job modelling all that finicky detail. I know they laser scan them and what have you, but it's still one hell of a 3D modelling job. And they have made real strides in track detail and rider animations (the latter not as much as other elements I admit) but maybe they need more employees if they are going to stick with Moto G.P, Ride and also....I can't recall what the motocross game is called?

Bought the game on Thursday and initially understood everyone's frustrations with the A.I. Now have played the game for a few days, am loving it. Have gold in all Europe and Asia leagues and thoroughly enjoying the game. Have bumped the A.I. up to 70% as was getting a tad easy, just to get a challenge. Struggled with the braking points but have them sorted now. First thing to do with every bike is buy new tyres. The bike acts completely different once on racing tyres. Have gone for Bridgestone's myself. I fully completed Ride 3 as well as time trialling every bike at the 'ring. This will be the same.

Like Doblocruiser says, there is a lot to like. I for one really appreciate the very obvious care and attention that has gone into the bike models. It must be one heck of a job modelling all that finicky detail. I know they laser scan them and what have you, but it's still one hell of a 3D modelling job. And they have made real strides in track detail and rider animations (the latter not as much as other elements I admit) but maybe they need more employees if they are going to stick with Moto G.P, Ride and also....I can't recall what the motocross game is called?

The game does look fantastic. They do the MXGP and the Monster Energy Supercross series, both yearly releases.

Bought the game on Thursday and initially understood everyone's frustrations with the A.I. Now have played the game for a few days, am loving it. Have gold in all Europe and Asia leagues and thoroughly enjoying the game. Have bumped the A.I. up to 70% as was getting a tad easy, just to get a challenge. Struggled with the braking points but have them sorted now. First thing to do with every bike is buy new tyres. The bike acts completely different once on racing tyres. Have gone for Bridgestone's myself. I fully completed Ride 3 as well as time trialling every bike at the 'ring. This will be the same.

Man.....kudos for doing gold on the Asian races. How on earth did you do the 1000cc race at night? (I forget the name of the track) and what bike did you use? I have tried again this morning and am struggling to even come in the top 8. Compared with the last race at Suzuka where I leave them in my wake¬

Man.....kudos for doing gold on the Asian races. How on earth did you do the 1000cc race at night? (I forget the name of the track) and what bike did you use? I have tried again this morning and am struggling to even come in the top 8. Compared with the last race at Suzuka where I leave them in my wake¬
If it is the Okayama track, I used the 2008 Honda CBR 1000R Fireblade. May be old but still a quick good handling bike.

And thanks for your comment! A big fan of this and the previous Ride game so once used to it, it just seemed to click.

If it is the Okayama track, I used the 2008 Honda CBR 1000R Fireblade. May be old but still a quick good handling bike.

And thanks for your comment! A big fan of this and the previous Ride game so once used to it, it just seemed to click.

Okayama seems to be one of those tracks which the AI runs really well on, probably as no huge straights which is where they mystery slow even when on 120 setting.

I just ran a one make R6 RM race at Cadwell on 120 thinking I could just use it for content as I'm not very good at Cadwell but I was still blasting by them on long straight, I started 12th and got to the front clean by the end of lap 3 which was the final lap as when I ran 5 laps I was ahead by too much to be interesting (cleanish I should say, just about on the line of what I think it's acceptable especially last lap divebomb). They're still very good in sections but I was disappointed to find a couple glaring gaps so it became an overtake challenge rather than a super competitive battle.

I wanted a proper Supersport grid too but in 'same category' or 'auto' it put in historic racers and even an 05 CBR1000RR RM which is pretty dumb though they were still plenty beatable.

Last edited:
Okayama seems to be one of those tracks which the AI runs really well on, probably as no huge straights which is where they mystery slow even when on 120 setting.

Yeah it is Okayama where I'm still struggling. I do have problems with my left hand and very tiny movements on the thumb stick are hard for me to pull off. But over the years I have completed a LOT of racing games, yet Okayama is killing me even on very easy. I will catch the leaders, be holding the same line as them, and bikes from behind are either hitting me up the backside, or trying to pass on the outside on their miracle tyres! It just feels like the A.I is broken. It shouldn't be that difficult on very easy, in fact it should be laughably easy to win.

Edit: Thankfully they have literally just posted on Facebook that they are working on a patch for the A.I. I've seen a few comments now pointing to Okayama in particular. So much for this amazing A.I that they reckon has done a gazillion hours of learning, or however they worded it! I guess we don't need to worry about judgement day any time soon if Milestone are responsible for the A.I :)

Last edited:

I used to GSXR1000, I think the 2020 model.. But that track is hard, as the AI is so quick and has way better traction in the corners. I won by a just few tenths, compared to the last race at Suzuka where I won by 25 seconds..

So much for this amazing A.I that they reckon has done a gazillion hours of learning, or however they worded it! I guess we don't need to worry about judgement day any time soon if Milestone are responsible for the A.I :)

The 'neural AI' feels like a complete scam, probably my biggest complaint about the game. They're simultaneously too good and stupid.

Opportunity to plug my latest video, I raced the AI at 120 setting on Cadwell this time a track I thought they were good at from my earlier experience and it's exactly the same problem as when I did Brands. They're really good in places but slow on long straights and coming into the tight S before the mountain section (not the one immediately before the jump, before that) they brake way too hard and don't use all the track.

Still it turned into an overtake challenge rather than the flag to flag battle I was hoping to get and a photo finish!

Yeah, I'm beginning to get fed up with this game because of all this. In Ride 3 it was relatively easy to gain an advantage on corner sections, and it was kinda satisfying. But there's no hope with all these super-Agostinis in R4, that is if you actually make it to the first corner.
I guess it is better to wait for the straight and get rid of them there.

What do you mean by racing tires? Slicks seem to only add acceleration, at least according to the change you see when you apply slick tires as opposed to threaded tires. No gain in handling, when you check the points up on the screen.

What do you mean by racing tires? Slicks seem to only add acceleration, at least according to the change you see when you apply slick tires as opposed to threaded tires. No gain in handling, when you check the points up on the screen.

Yeah that could be a bit misleading. But is also correct, as slicks don't fundamentally change the geometry of the bike, ride height etc, so don't affect the handling per se. But you will find you can brake harder, accelerate better and grip better in the corners as well as accelerate out of them without the bike wanting to snap away from you (it doesn't cure it, but it helps a LOT)

A major bug, ladies and gentlemen. I wonder if you noticed? When on straight you lean the bike, for example because the straight is bent a bit, the RPM goes up immediately. Whenever you lean the bike, the RPM goes up, but it doesn't seem to affect the speed of the bike, strangely. Did you notice this? I checked it happens with at least two bikes, not just one particular model. What is your opinion?

A major bug, ladies and gentlemen. I wonder if you noticed? When on straight you lean the bike, for example because the straight is bent a bit, the RPM goes up immediately. Whenever you lean the bike, the RPM goes up, but it doesn't seem to affect the speed of the bike, strangely. Did you notice this? I checked it happens with at least two bikes, not just one particular model. What is your opinion?
That’s actually accurate in modelling the rear tyre diameter changing the gearing when leaned over, quite impressed that they’ve done that. Would also be correct in not adding to the top speed.

My main concern is the controller steering sensitivity: So is it closer to Ride 2 or 3?
I prefer Ride 2's handling model over Ride 3's ultra sensitive; since in Ride 2 you actually get a greater sense of bike weight.

I dislike how twitchy or weightless the handling model is in Ride 3, which was a step backwards.

My experience is only with Ride 2 and 4, but this feels relatively similar. Supermoto physics are a big step down but everywhere else feels good.

That’s actually accurate in modelling the rear tyre diameter changing the gearing when leaned over, quite impressed that they’ve done that. Would also be correct in not adding to the top speed.

Well, I tried that on my scooter tonight, RPM definitely does not go up when I lean the scooter, but maybe that is something about the CVT, continuous variable trasmission of the scooter?

Back