Round 01: 24 Hours of Daytona

• Thread starter AJ
  • 289 comments
I think that we should re-run QP4
It completely ruined my two blocks as I never had the chance to do runs on low fuel, in the Pescarolo I got a 37.6 almost full fuel I could've possibly done a high 36 in low fuel.
Also on the DW's got 36's and low ones which might be something to consider as they might be too fast for Q.

That was a disaster. I know the stewards didn't extend the time as thats not realistic but magically earning a full tank of gas because of internet problems not of your own isn't either. My team needed me to bust out a really fast lap on low gas if we wanted any chance to make it into the show and thanks to these disconnects it doesn't look like we will be racing next weekend. I honestly feel as if I've let my team down by failing to accomplish a seemingly simple task I've done before. So yes, I do agree that some sort of reconciliation should be in order.

Sorry to my WRS North America guys, luck just wasn't on our side this weekend. :(

I think that we should re-run QP4

I thought about that too, but finding a time that suits all drivers.

Everyone was in the same boat, and what would have happened if it was QP1 that got D/C? Would we make another QP replacement for that? It was more the fact it was crunch time and many teams were relying on this qualy to make it through. In saying that, many teams were relying on QP4 teams failing to keep them through. For every team that wants a re-run, I'm sure there are another team that doesn't want a re-run. It is unfortunate the situation, but it is what it is.

In my opinion if you don't like the fact you lost out to a room disconnect, imagine it as if you were racing in real life and before you set your time, the heavens opened up and it began raining. That's how i'd put it. Yes im disappointed, BUT it was out of my hands, i did nothing wrong, at the time and under the circumstances, i did the best i could. That's how i think it should be looked at by those affected. It was a shame we lost one of our drivers track times BUT, we are virtual racers, not reality racers, so from time to time, these things should be expected. For those upset with grid slot, its a long race, don't stress, 24hours is a long time and anything can happen! For those who got knocked out, you get the luxury of starting your next race preparations early, you get a whole week to focus on setups and track time. No matter what, theres a bright side to every story. Just find which way to look at it.

Lets be clear, in an effort to post a fast time, nothing is credible until you post stint photo. PURGATORY.
LETS EXPLORE LIVE SCORING for qualifying.
Easier said than done. You have NO IDEA what is going on behind the scenes to get your time as fast as it is. Try putting a race together from news paper ( remember them) clippings. Compared to last year this is Very Fast. And as programs get developed it will get better. Remember this is NOT PD software that allows you to do this...it is AJs baby and it slowly comming of age.

EZ...a driver and a team spotter in room same time. Spotter takes fast lap photo in live scoring watch mode.
Make sessions 45 mins. each, so stints have low fuel possibilities.
And as far "NO IDEA'...COME ON. WHERE IS YOUR IDEA

Only got to do 15 laps in 1 hour.
@AJ oh well, good job running this so far although it's sad that PD servers got in the way of my te qualifying as my fastest lap was on near full fuel.
GTWC also had some trouble this evening with the servers, can't do anything about it though, good luck to the drivers and teams racing!

WRS North America was feeling good last week, wish I could say the same now. First two qualifying sessions had our drivers have to abort their fast laps as the cars were being ushered into the pits and we all know what happened with today's session.

:( I'm really REALLY sad and disappointed over it all.

I'll just have to get over it and help my teammates do well at Bathurst in a month or so. This was the one race I was really looking forward to barring Le Mans.

Last edited:
Thank you for you comments, your feedback is always appreciated.

The Promoters & Officials have been discussing how we can improve the qualifying experience and procedures for future events. We strive for realism, but we are also realists. There will likely be an announcement and update to the Sporting Regulations next week if time permits, if not it will be after Daytona.

The series is still very new, and constantly evolving. Each time we run an event the competition gets closer and closer. At Spa it was 20 seconds separating 4 cars after 23.5 hours. Today it was 2 teams missing the cut by +0.019 and +0.060 respectively. Just as you are proving that you take the racing very seriously, we also take the organisation very seriously, and endeavour to treat everyone fairly and equally. There are some situations that are always going to be out of our control, however we can and will do more to mitigate them.

Thank you for you continued support and participation, and look forward to seeing you all next weekend for our biggest race yet, either on track or in the stands.

AJ

Outside of Le Mans most events now use shorter 15-20 minute sessions, TUSCC uses a single driver and 15 minutes, WEC 2 drivers and 20 minutes.

Maybe the answer isn't to hold only one session as logistically that's impossible but making them shorter and clearing the track in between so this fuel issue dissapears. Also would help limit the effect of a d/c.

I think it's fine the way it is.
So do I but an extra session could help, maybe.

I think the problem here was everyone most teams were waiting til the last minute. Thankfully for us Aussies, who make up the bulk of GHH, the best times are when the Northern Hemisphere folk are unconscious so the heavier sessions are ones we can avoid for most drivers :)

Last edited:
Exactly, people want something done because their only chance to qualify got cut short. They know how long qualifying is for. They should have prepared better and expected everything. I they want to re-do qualifying then it should be open to everyone, the same as the other 4 sessions, even if people have used their 6 allowed blocks.

Exactly, people want something done because their only chance to qualify got cut short. They know how long qualifying is for. They should have prepared better and expected everything.
We have a policy: if you have to do it you get up at stupid o'clock.

We pick our sessions carefully, place the correct drivers in and make any changes we need to make.

During the second CORE VLN race I was up at 3am then did a 3hr race and went straight to work after, it had to be done.

Not everyone is as insane as me though :crazy:

I don't think that is the right way to put because I for example was only able to do that session Sunday, as I had other commitments the previous day's when sessions were available.
But I still think there shouldn't be another QP session as you guys said.
Fair point Cod, I should say that 'most' were waiting. That's how it seemed at least as that session was as full as a peak hour train!

Back