Rumors on the NEXT Gran Turismo

• Thread starter xxy98cn
  • 404 comments

When do you think the next game in the Gran Turismo series will launch?

• Q1 2020

• Q2 2020

• Q3 2020

• Q4 2020

• Q1 2021

• Q2 2021

• Q3 2021

• Q4 2021

• Q1 2022

• Q2 2022

• Q3 2022

• Q4 2022

• 2023 or later

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Q4 2022 is wishful thinking I think it will be somewhere between April to December 2023 and if it comes out before Q3 2022 it will have less cars and tracks than GTSport.

I hope they focus on getting more road cars in the game and leave behind Vision GT or just remove them from lobby's with real cars.

I'm not going to buy the PlayStation 5 unless Gran Turismo 7 comes out with more cars and tracks than GTSport.

I still don't know why some people want GT7 to come out in Q4 2021 for.
We don't "want to" we guess based on PD's previous development times over the last 20 years.

Remember GT Sport is not a numbered game, so you can not compare with other previous GT numbered tittles release dates,
You sure can 👍 develpment time takes the same no matter if the next game is called GT7 or GT7 space GP or whatever that depends entirely on Kaz.

Previous Gran Turismo numbered games had offline and online,
So does GT Sport.

and GT Sport in not a numbered game.
May i ask why do you insist on a number so much as if the number is the only thing which defines the games and having GT on the title means nothing?.
pUmr5Rc.png

I found this image on https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-telemetry.391522/ As you can see the game's name during development and/or a possible name for the final game was GT7 Sport (Thank god they didn't name it that because who knows what kind of rant threads number lovers like you would've made) But anyway here... i gave it a 🤬 number...
leave behind Vision GT
I don't understand the hate for VGT nor do i want to know but why would they remove them? You can simply not use them.

or just remove them from lobby's with real cars.
Can't you do that already :confused:.

Last edited:
I've just realized that PS4 will be the first Playstation console ever without a fully fledged numbered Gran Turismo title.

Kinda sad if you think about it.
Shameful imho, all they have to do is release at least one GT game for each console, and sorry, but GT Sport is not a 'proper' GT game. :banghead:Yvmv.

No doubt Sony will still have been happy, a cut down game at a regular retail price, and loads of people paying for PSN every month, which is where the real money is. Hopefully such a strategy will not effect the size and depth of the next 'proper' GT game.

Whatever the next GT game is, I don't want so much of the game to be reliant on an internet connection to Sony's servers. :mad: :banghead:

Polyphony said that they've already during gtsport development created higher quality cars models for next titles so hope so development of gt7 will be shorter than gt sport

We don't want to we guess based on PD's previous development times over the last 20 years.

Their average is 3-4 years, and they’re already slowing down on GTS. It’s not that crazy that people see it coming out this year.

Plus, I kinda feel as though Sony will want a racing game to compete with the next Forza Motorsport this Autumn, and I’m pretty sure PD will use GTS as a base for their new release instead of completely redeveloping everything (the last time a game was used as a base was GT6, and that came out just 3 years after GT5)

If not this year, it’s almost 100% Q4 2021. Anyone thinking of anything after that is forgetting GT5 only took forever to come out because the PS3 was horrible to work on

Their average is 3-4 years, and they’re already slowing down on GTS. It’s not that crazy that people see it coming out this year.
I think it is because corona aside GT Sport released late 2017 so for the next game to release this year they would've had to start development immediately after (which i doubt they did considering the amount of post launch support we got).

Plus, I kinda feel as though Sony will want a racing game to compete with the next Forza Motorsport this Autumn,
That was the plan with GT5 too but we all know the story. And i don't want Sony to get involved because when they rushed PD (GT2 & GT3 ) the results weren't great.

I’m pretty sure PD will use GTS as a base for their new release instead of completely redeveloping everything
Well they did that with GT4 (and even less with GT6 ) but those still took 3 and a bit years to come out.
snc
Polyphony said that they've already during gtsport development created higher quality cars models for next titles so hope so development of gt7 will be shorter than gt sport

(the last time a game was used as a base was GT6, and that came out just 3 years after GT5)
And what a disapointment it was ... (besides multiplayer).

I think it is because corona aside GT Sport released late 2017 so for the next game to release this year they would've had to start development immediately after (which i doubt they did considering the amount of post launch support we got).
The thing is, all the support we have had for GTS goes almost straight into the next game, or should do, so that was also pre-production, along with whatever else non GTS stuff they have been working on at the same time.

If they weren't building assets at PS5 level for the next game, and easily scaled down for GTS, or the other way, at the GTS/PS4level, but easily scaled up to PS5 levels, then it would be extremely poor planning imho. These consoles all being based on PC processors should enable making games a lot quicker compared to the previous consoles. Unless someone can tell why that would not be the case.

People keep saying GT should take 4, 5, 6 years or more, but Forza seem to get a game out every two years or so, with similar depth, and almost as good modelling for cars, but a huge amount more. And a load of tracks with multiple configurations.

snc

I doubt higher quality models would be noticeable at all. They could probably improve rendering quality, but there is no need to make new models for that.

The thing is, all the support we have had for GTS goes almost straight into the next game, or should do, so that was also pre-production, along with whatever else non GTS stuff they have been working on at the same time.
You may be right 👍.

If they weren't building assets at PS5 level for the next game, and easily scaled down for GTS, or the other way, at the GTS/PS4level, but easily scaled up to PS5 levels, then it would be extremely poor planning imho.
Well we are talking about PD so anything is possible :lol:.

People keep saying GT should take 4, 5, 6 years or more, but Forza seem to get a game out every two years or so,
No one is saying that just speculating. That said lets not forget that Forza Motosport 5 the first Forza title released for the Xbox one (on may 2013) launched with just above 200 cars (205 if im not wrong) to similar backlash as when GTS released . Turn 10 is also quite a bit bigger than PD and they outsource guite a lot which should explain why the difference in speed.

with similar depth, and almost as good modelling for cars,
I respectfully disagree on that one.

I doubt higher quality models would be noticeable at all. They could probably improve rendering quality, but there is no need to make new models for that.
True. PS4 models are already future proof and are ready for next generation. They aren’t going to remake all of the GT Sport cars for GT7, like how they did with GT6 cars to GT Sport.

I think Q4 2022 is wishful thinking I think it will be somewhere between April to December 2023 and if it comes out before Q3 2022 it will have less cars and tracks than GTSport.

I hope they focus on getting more road cars in the game and leave behind Vision GT or just remove them from lobby's with real cars.

I'm not going to buy the PlayStation 5 unless Gran Turismo 7 comes out with more cars and tracks than GTSport.

6 years of development and less content than GTSport? That doesn't make sense unless they started developing a new engine once again and redo all the models, tracks, cars in the game.

No one is saying that just speculating. That said lets not forget that Forza Motosport 5 the first Forza title released for the Xbox one (on may 2013) launched with just above 200 cars (205 if im not wrong) to similar backlash as when GTS released . Turn 10 is also quite a bit bigger than PD and they outsource guite a lot which should explain why the difference in speed.

PD have been heavily outsourcing, and recently opened a new studio up.

That was the plan with GT5 too but we all know the story.

Remember; the PS3 was a horrible console to develop on, and no doubt attributed to GT5’s incredibly long dev time (ignoring GT6’s overall quality issues, there’s a probably a reason why it only took about 3 years for it to come out after GT5 - they used the previous game as a base, and they knew the console they were working with)

Well they did that with GT4 (and even less with GT6 ) but those still took 3 and a bit years to come out.

Yeah, and it’ll be 3 years this year. PD won’t need to worry about re-scanning cars (I hope?) as they’ve already heavily stressed that the cars modelled already are next-gen ready. They’ve got a game that’s already developed that can be used as a base relatively easily (both the PS4 and PS5 run on x86 architecture), and they’re working on a console that’s easier to develop on as a whole with a larger team, thanks to outsourcing and their new studio

That doesn’t even mention all of the raytracing demos that came out involving GTS, as well as there being a known demo of GTS that utilises the new features of the PS5’s DualSense controller.

I dunno, all I’m saying is that with all of this, the game can’t be further than 6-18 months away

Last edited:
PD have been heavily outsourcing, and recently opened a new studio up.
Do we know how much content has been outsourced? Because if i remember correctly Kaz said that he dosen't want to do that too much.

Remember; the PS3 was a horrible console to develop on, and no doubt attributed to GT5’s incredibly long dev time
I am aware 👍 all im saying is that you never know when it comes to game development i hope you are right tho 👍 .

Work on the next game would've started immediately after GT Sport's release, or potentially even earlier. You don't need an entire studio's resources to pump out post-launch content (especially since we only got cars and tracks for the most part, which will likely be recycled for GT7 anyways),

The expectations for the next GT are so high. I miss so many tracks and features. When I think about it : a whole generation without Deep Forest, GT mode and car modifications! A French journalist said this week that the next GT will be announce late May, early June. I want to be optimistic and hope GT7 is planned for Q4 2020. However, I don't want a GTSport 2, I want a complete game at launch. Forza 8 will probably be huge and Poly won't top its car list, so Polyphony has to understand that sometimes less is more : Gran Turismo 3. Many good signs at the studio and who knows, GT7 could be the return of the golden age.

The expectations for the next GT are so high. I miss so many tracks and features. When I think about it : a whole generation without Deep Forest, GT mode and car modifications! A French journalist said this week that the next GT will be announce late May, early June. I want to be optimistic and hope GT7 is planned for Q4 2020. However, I don't want a GTSport 2, I want a complete game at launch. Forza 8 will probably be huge and Poly won't top its car list, so Polyphony has to understand that sometimes less is more : Gran Turismo 3. Many good signs at the studio and who knows, GT7 could be the return of the golden age.
So do a lot of players want a complete game and GT Sport is not a great game when it comes to offline features, like GT League is nothing to smile about because its a complete mess.

In your post you said about a French journalist saying this week, that the next GT will be announce late May or early June for a Q4 2020 release, and I hope he/she is right :).

I can easly notice difference between models in menu, scene when you bought a car or photo mode vs gameplay

That’s because the render settings are different in the different game modes. You don’t need to make new models to improve the render settings, just better hardware.
Are you polyphony dev that you sure that these models don't have more polygons than during gameplay ? ;) Couse they look like they have (not say that more advanced render technics like raytracing is not welcome in gt7)

Last edited:
snc
Are you polyphony dev that you sure that these models don't have more polygons than during gameplay ? ;) Couse they look like they have (not say that more advanced render technics like raytracing is not welcome in gt7)

They use adaptive tessellation, so there is no fixed number of polygons. They merely cranked up the tessellation settings for photo mode. With better hardware (i.e. PS5) they can crank up the settings for gameplay rendering as well. No need to create new models.

If you download Blender (free 3D modelling software) you can experiment with not only adaptive tessellation but also HDRI rendering (think “scapes”) and raytracing. It’s pretty cool ;)

snc

@eran0004 is pretty advanced in 3D modelling and CG rendering, he knows what he's talking about.... You should see some of his work.

He actually taught me a few things about it and how to use it too.

They use adaptive tessellation, so there is no fixed number of polygons. They merely cranked up the tessellation settings for photo mode. With better hardware (i.e. PS5) they can crank up the settings for gameplay rendering as well. No need to create new models.l
Cool if true couse quite a difference, as I wrote they have higher polys models already so for sure no need to create new ;)

Last edited:
I suspect Q4 2020 was the original plan. With what's going on now I can't imagine that sticking. My vote is Q2-Q3 2021. Not everything needs to come out during the holiday season, it can still be a system-seller then, maybe as a package or something.

inb4 this guy has no idea what LOD modeling is...
You telling me that in lod modeling for games always all models have same number of triangles but differ tessleation settings? If so, than yes, that would be something new for me ;)

snc
You telling me that in lod modeling for games always all models have same number of triangles but differ tessleation settings? If so, than yes, that would be something new for me ;)
There's a few different ways to do it: tessellation, low-poly models, etc. The general idea is still the same.

Back