Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
I got this RSS feed to leftlanenews.com in my Opera RSS feed lineup:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyotasubaru-coupe-could-surface-in-us-as-next-scion-tc.html

The tC is my favorite Scion. People may have a reason to get this potential next-gen Scion if the real RWD Boxer-engine version. It proved a theory I had- that this could be a RWD Scion. And think about it like this- you can be your own Ken Gushi, only not sliding around the lovely RS*R Scion in Formula Drift.

What do you think about this new deal if it materializes as planned?

Oh man. :cough: hachi roku :cough:

No, better.

People sack ride the AE86 way way way too much.

Would be great if this all pins out right. If they keep the price just around what a tC costs right now, I know several people that would take interest. The only issue in my mind is the curb weight - I'd like to see them keep it around 2700 pounds, and I'm hoping for less but doubt that.

To be frank, if they can make it smaller than the current tC, I'd be happy. I mean, my Celica is big, but the tC feels like a full-size car compared to it. Keep it cheap, simple, and lightweight and I'm positive that there would be a pretty big market for the car. Better yet, give us two different engine options, and I think it'd keep cheapies like me (who like the put-put models) happy.

Only worry is what Nissan would bring out, and how well it'd stack up against the Genesis Coupe. That, and if they can make it a better value than the Camaro or the Mustang...

I still think a Hacki roku or 510 revival is what this country needs. Adapt those to a highly fuel efficient engine for cheap would go really quick.

The tC will have to be much lighter to be any sort of successor to the classic AE86.. The xB and xD are about the lightest in the bunch while the tC is the heaviest. Anything south of 2600 lbs. would be fine. About 2300 lbs. would be crazy light for a mid-size(?) car like the tC. A horizonally-opposed boxer engine with more ponies will probably make this car sweeter.

Pardon my childish imagination... an RWD tC with a boxer engine would be wicked to me.

So what you're saying is, the picture came from the GTPlanet forums, circled the tubes and made it's way back here?....

:cheers:

No, but the source image has been shooped by us and by other websters as well.

I just hope that they will follow the K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) mentality.. no power windows, no sunroof, no cup holders or multimedia gadgetry or air con.. just the car.

I just hope that they will follow the K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) mentality.. no power windows, no sunroof, no cup holders or multimedia gadgetry or air con.. just the car.

And it would completely fail to sell then. Even the Miata has cup holders. Cup holders are nice in cars you drive daily. Which I think most people would with a car like this.

Hell, I'm a simple lightweight guy, and I would like to have Aircon and power windows. And cup holders. I love all those in my Spyder over my older AW11...

No A/C?! Are you crazy!? I'm sorry, I like simple and I have a simple car (manual doorlocks, manual windows, and etc.), but especially these days if a car doesn't have A/C it should be an automatic FAIL. Stupid global warming...

Hahaha... y'know, stripper base models make real fun thrashers... I sometimes wish you could buy all cars that way. I want mine without a sunroof, body-kit CD-changer, power-windows or full-sized spare. AC? Let me think about it... leave the blower in... Eff the AC. Should remove about 200 pounds of junk from the car. Would make it 200 pounds more fun to drive.

AC? Let me think about it... leave the blower in... Eff the AC.

This is what popped into my head after reading above. lol

jeremy-clarkson.jpg

hm.. maybe they will offer run of the mill version for purists and more luxurious version for oh-my-ricans. But, knowing US, it will have atleast 4 cup holders, 8 airbags, 3571 warning labels and electronic nannies that cannot be switched off and as a result, it will weight as much as BMW 135i

hm.. maybe they will offer run of the mill version for purists and more luxurious version for oh-my-ricans. But, knowing US, it will have atleast 4 cup holders, 8 airbags, 3571 warning labels and electronic nannies that cannot be switched off and as a result, it will weight as much as BMW 135i

So about the same as every other compact on the market? 3200 pounds. Same weight as a WRX, Mazdaspeed3, GTi, and the list goes on.

Almost no one offers a hard core stripper model on a car in this price range. Why? Because its going to be daily driven, almost for certain.

AC only adds about 40 pounds of weight. You could wear some different clothes, not eat that foot long sub, and pull the spare tire out to get the same weight savings. You people seem to think cup holders add weight too.

Well gosh darn Azureman, you know that a Big Gulp adds 20 pounds! And multiply that by the 4 cupholders in every car, that's like 80 extra pounds!

Well gosh darn Azureman, you know that a Big Gulp adds 20 pounds! And multiply that by the 4 cupholders in every car, that's like 80 extra pounds!

Well, I do admit to having 2 of those at almost all times. Even autocrossing.

But seriously, "purists" buy cars like mine. Not something you can actually put stuff in
💡

Actually...an autocross car would be good for getting groceries, plenty of empty space!

Hung from the roll-cage? :lol: by the time you get home, the meat and eggs will have cooked (well-done and hard-boiled, at that), the milk will have turned to whipped cream, and you'd have bits of broken glassware and beer bottle all over the floor. :D

But seriously, "purists" buy cars like mine. Not something you can actually put stuff in

By 'purist' you mean chicks? ;)

There's bound to be something you could tie the bags to. Just dont get paper.

What you'd need is a big foam box like the ones rally drivers and their co-pilots use to store their helmets whilst driving between stages. Or a hammock like this:

Last edited:
While I hope this new RWD comes out as a scion in the US, I wouldn't want it to replace the tC. Just sell it alongside it

And TRD, should lotus models still be able to smoke a tC with every performance option installed on a dyno? :indiff: build a eaton charger and get it over with.

While I hope this new RWD comes out as a scion in the US, I wouldn't want it to replace the tC. Just sell it alongside it

And TRD, should lotus models still be able to smoke a tC with every performance option installed on a dyno? :indiff: build a eaton charger and get it over with.

lol funny comparison. The answer is pretty much yes. FWD, 2900 pound built with economy in mind versus a MR, sub 2000 pound car. There isn't much to compare at all...

lol funny comparison. The answer is pretty much yes. FWD, 2900 pound built with economy in mind versus a MR, sub 2000 pound car. There isn't much to compare at all...

QFT. Then you consider that a Scion tC with all the options on it will cost... errh... how much less than a Lotus?

"And TRD, should lotus models still be able to smoke a tC with every performance option installed on a DYNO?"

I'm talking about outright BHP, what these cars are putting to the wheels. Hence the dyno comment. These supercharged lotus are still using much smaller toyota engines so its not like they're going out of their way.

TRD really should make a eaton for their 4 cylinder cars and the Lexus IS.

Last edited:
Smaller engines, higher state of tune, more peaky power.

Unlike the Lotus, the tC is a relatively heavy car. In this case, tuning for outright maximum horsepower at an ungodly 7000-8000 rpm won't do much for acceleration (not enough torque, too much pork)... or reliability. What Toyota is looking for is "fun" power while keeping the tC idiot-proof.

Besides, the Camry lump in the tC is not a performance motor. It's a 2.4 liter undersquare motor designed for economy and torque. The Elise/Exige use a nearly "square" 1.8 liter engine designed for high revs. While putting a bigger motor in for more power works, it helps if that motor is a good one (example, SR20DE into the B 13 SE-R) and not a low-revving torquer (QR25DE in B15 SE-R). Torquey engines can be good... the Neon SRT4 has a very undersquare engine... but that engine is built to boost... with a very low compression ratio. To maintain stock reliability with the tC with factory forced induction, Toyota would likely have to do the same thing to the tC's motor, or at least include TRD camshafts, which would add to the cost of the performance kit in terms of parts and installation.

But if you don't want to pay Toyota's price, you can always just turbocharge the tC yourself, for about 300 or more horses.

Back