Should PD focus more on quality and consistency next time?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 204 comments
I personally can't believe this is even up for debate. Considering the strides & improvement other 'racing-genre' games have made & are still making today, PD has a lot of work - and catching-up to do if they wish to remain relevant in the 'Simulator' category.

As I said in a prior news article, "The rebirth of GT starts with the developer, not the sounds"

Last edited:
I personally can't believe this is even up for debate. Considering the strides & improvement other 'racing-genre' games have made & are still making today, PD has a lot of work - and catching-up to do if they wish to remain relevant in the 'Simulator' category.

As I said in a prior news article, "The rebirth of GT starts with the developer, not the sounds"

True at this point GT is Apple everyone else is Android that's how I've been looking at them for awhile now.

Everyone at one point was completely hooked to GT, and then things changed.

But it's up for debate because people don't believe GT has actually fallen off, and me personally they're only fooling themselves if you think GT6 at this point was even a "Video Game".

True at this point GT is Apple everyone else is Android that's how I've been looking at them for awhile now.

Everyone at one point was completely hooked to GT, and then things changed.

But it's up for debate because people don't believe GT has actually fallen off, and me personally they're only fooling themselves if you think GT6 at this point was even a "Video Game".
Totally agree with you buddy. Granturismo fell behind and all we have to do is simply move foreward like we do with everything else in our lifes.
Project cars is just around the corner, Assetto Corsa is a fabulous sim and there's still iRacing and Rfactor2. We have choices now.
I was saying this to a friend the other day... The best thing that could happen to Granturismo fans would be if Kaz simply sell the Franchise out to some studio with enough passion and will to completely turn the game upside down and give it the flare of good old times back.

What was the general response to GT5 Prologue? They featured 6 tracks, started with a small number of premium cars, and in concept, was very emulative of a "quality over quantity (read: tech demo)" exercise. Not to imply that it was anything more than what it was, but I'm curious. Hopefully I don't derail the thread too far in asking this, but I do think it is a relevant point to bring up, and I promise that I bring this up in the best of faith. I know that in PS3 era PD really met suitable contenders with GT5, but around the time when GT5P was launched, how did we feel (I was not there; was out in the middle of nowhere playing GT3 probably)? Did that approach work, and was the quality there?

What was the general response to GT5 Prologue? They featured 6 tracks, started with a small number of premium cars, and in concept, was very emulative of a "quality over quantity (read: tech demo)" exercise. Not to imply that it was anything more than what it was, but I'm curious. Hopefully I don't derail the thread too far in asking this, but I do think it is a relevant point to bring up, and I promise that I bring this up in the best of faith. I know that in PS3 era PD really met suitable contenders with GT5, but around the time when GT5P was launched, how did we feel (I was not there; was out in the middle of nowhere playing GT3 probably)? Did that approach work, and was the quality there?

When GT5 prologue, or any prologue came out for that matter, I kinda felt like I was purchasing a rather expensive demo disc, however if GT7 prologue was done with all current circuits, all current premium models and a 2 new tracks and a handful of new cars, at the right price, around $55 AUD I don't think I would feel ripped off,

However, with what competition there is on the market at the moment and far ahead that competition is, PD seriously need to ramp up the efforts and stop stuffing us about with half done products with awful glitches,

Yes definitely. The game needs to be high quality and consistent in this way in my opinion.

Car modelling, to be consistent - all standard cars to look as good as premiums in game and replays across the whole game

Car physics to be consistent across all cars standard or premium to be of high quality across the whole game

Engine sounds to be consistent across all cars standard or premium and to be of high quality across the whole game.

Track count to match or better GT5 / GT6 to be consistent across all tracks and to be of high quality each and all with dynamic day / night cycle weather and lighting.

All standard and premium cars, special cars, racing cars to be modifiable with full upgrade parts and modifications not limited to any one car across the whole game.

Not sure how to measure quality and consistency when it comes to game modes, events and features.

But I would love to see at least in GT7 on disc from day one built-in quality Arcade, Trophy mode, Time Attack. Then an extensive and realistic Licence test before entering Career mode, Seasonal Races. Course Maker, Acceleration Test.

I'd like to see an accurate Career Mode most of all. By this I mean going to the level of quality and realism that P CARS aims to do. To have warm up lap or event, accurate qualifier laps or event and then the stages of the races with accurate race lap count, and then proceed to the next destination or phase of the event in the Gran Turismo world. These could be adjustable in options.

The Pit stop where the physics simulate accurately tyre wear - tyre damage, low fuel, low oil which if not enter pits to fix the car breaks down and you get disqualified from the race. Race rules and regulations obviously for cars setup and modifications for cars and for track rules and racing similar to real life. Like losing championship points or something if you hit other cars on purpose or cut corners.

I think I wandering now off topical subject but this is what I would like to see in GT7. Racing and career mode has to be interesting, entertaining, be well rewarding in terms of monetization, cars, gifts in the likes of car part upgrades or even wheels or wing of your choice or paints, helmets and clothes. Not sure about paint chips but would like ability to customize paints hue brightness and saturation or something similar.

I don't no about every else but I loved the idea of the old Auction or second hand dealer where you can purchase old and new standard or premium cars with different amounts of mileage. When you sell cars you get money for them aswell.

Last edited:
Yes, they should focus on quality and consistency.

They have a foundation with much potential if they just improve on the formula of GT6. If they have considered some of the same issues/subjects as us and work on those then we would have a great game.

A list of good features we have now and how they can be improved:

-Cars (They have a good head start with GT6's roster, premium car count won't be an issue. In addition to what we have and whatever they add to the lineup.)

-Customization (Gran Turismo has come a long way in the customization category. They are moving i the right direction, though slowly. Hopefully they continue adding to the customization options across the whole board.)

-Tracks (There are a good number of tracks so far, so hopefully they will add a reasonable number of new ones and maybe update some existing ones)

-Weather/Time Change (It's a great feature, yet it can be greatly improved. time transition looks beautiful, but the rain effects are kind of generic. But that's a basic thing.)

-Photo Mode (Most enjoy Photo Mode. It is simple and effective. The addition of new locations and updating existing ones would be good. Also making it a bit more flexible, like being able to have more than two cars per photo mode location, and having more areas the cars can be placed in.)

-Special Events/Challenges/Missions/Coffee Breaks (I'm not sure how most feel about special events. I believe they are a great idea, and should be implemented in the next game. Imagine Pikes peak, something many are interested in.)

-A.I. (While the A.I. is more aware and considerate, they aren't very challenging or competitive. If they really want to they will improve this.)

-Physics (Disclaimer: I'm not a professional, and I haven't driven anything sportier than a 1st gen CR-X with auto x setup suspension, yokohama s drives. I can say that the game has taught me much about car control. Yet there's much to improve on. Tire physics, momentum change's effects on the car like lift-off oversteer, gear change etc. Supsension.)

If they made these points their focus then they would succeed.

In all honesty, that's probably about right.

That's about 200 cars a year, of which 100 can be sold straight up as DLC and the other 100 can be put aside for the next major release of Gran Turismo. They can choose to sacrifice 4 cars for one track at any time, so 75 cars/6 tracks for DLC would be fine too.
The more modelers, the better, granted.

But they cannot realistically choose to sacrifice x amount of cars for y number of tracks at any one time, because the car modelers are different people from the "landscape designers". If that sacrifice is to exist, it will exist well in advance of release, i.e. however long it takes to sack off the required number of modelers on one team and hire into the other, plus the lead time on the content itself.

Out of practicality, it may be that the car modelers can make props for tracks, but I wonder just what use the track modelers would be in the case of the "one modeler for one car" ethic (which would technically constitute sacrificing quality for quantity).

It'd make sense to have a floating contingent of junior modelers, but that still needs planning in advance, and they will only be able to fill in on areas lagging behind planned productivity (mainly tracks), but they won't allow a change of direction at the drop of a hat.

Note that 200 cars per year from 100 (car) modelers implies the 6-month per-modeler per-car figure, but in reality it's consistenly been closer to 8 or 9 months across all the PS3 releases. So either 6 months is a gross underestimate, or there is hidden quality and / or quantity in a cupboard at PD Towers somewhere.

image.jpg

Explosion (supposed to be)

(Sorry tried editing but didn't know how)

Last edited:
ss3
Didn't know how to edit a photo into it, I tried the camera button after hitting edit but it didn't work
P.S. Your avatar goes great w/ your post
If you're on a pc you can drag and drop into a post, copy and paste or use the upload a file (if you have it saved to your harddrive) button from the bottom right. You can also right click on a picture, hit "copy image URL" and then use the photo hot button above and paste the link in there.

If you're on a pc you can drag and drop into a post, copy and paste or use the upload a file (if you have it saved to your harddrive) button from the bottom right. You can also right click on a picture, hit "copy image URL" and then use the photo hot button above and paste the link in there.
Wow I don't know how I forgot about that
Thanks

TBH, PD just needs a basic livery editor, better usage of there car licenses (more recent model cars and cars that SHOULD be premium, RUF :rolleyes:), and tweaks to physics and AI. Other than that, recreate GT4 with all the new tracks of course.

GT7 needs to have a balanced quality with consistency.

In an ideal world this means.

All game content of premium quality including, modelling, sounds, tracks all need to be of high quality polygons, look good and sound good across the board.

T10 didn't do it with certain tracks in Forza 5. There was an inconsistency with varying track quality but only to a small degree. But their car modelling quality was consistent. Car sounds of high quality and consistent across all cars.

GT5 and GT6 was also inconsistent with track quality, but inconsistent with their standard and premium model system. Sounds poor quality and hugely inconsistent sounds.

PD even have a standard and premium damage system. Some models having better damage than others. Having these system in place only serves to make them lazier.

T10 remodel from the ground up. They don't have a standard or premium model, neither do they have a standard or premium damage system. That's why more quality and more consistency.

PD take a cue from T10. Also outsource and employ more people to get the massive mess that is GT5 and GT6 removed from GT7 on aka next gen PS4, I really don't want to see old tools, models, assets and methods being used on a next gen game.

Last edited:
If Project CARS, Forza 6, Asetto Corsa, DriveClub, Need for Speed or anything else was being released on PS3, many of you would have awesome and very valid points... But you guys are comparing PD's work on an inferior machine to the works of deveopers ho have released their works on systems that gave them a lot more space and power to work with, and that is downright ludicrous to me. My opinion? Wait until PD releases ANYTHING up to current gen standards and THEN cast judgement. Otherwise, we can also debate why the details in Top Gear aren't on par with the graphics in DriveClub and all of the various reasons behind that?

If Project CARS, Forza 6, Asetto Corsa, DriveClub, Need for Speed or anything else was being released on PS3, many of you would have awesome and very valid points... But you guys are comparing PD's work on an inferior machine to the works of deveopers ho have released their works on systems that gave them a lot more space and power to work with, and that is downright ludicrous to me. My opinion? Wait until PD releases ANYTHING up to current gen standards and THEN cast judgement. Otherwise, we can also debate why the details in Top Gear aren't on par with the graphics in DriveClub and all of the various reasons behind that?
Other than this favourable comparison, who is comparing these games in this thread in the last 6 months that are on this page?

TBH all games have inconsistency. I have seen horrible gfx of Forza6 with aliasing. But in photomode, auto vista etc it looks better. I definitely agree that there should not be any cars without interior in GT7. Exterior modelling for many standard are pretty good though. Just remove the bad ones. They must have semi premiums with cockpit including VGT :banghead:

I definitely agree that there should not be any cars without interior in GT7. Exterior modelling for many standard are pretty good though. Just remove the bad ones. They must have semi premiums with cockpit including VGT :banghead:

Using "semi-premium" cars and then going ahead and spending a staggering amount of hours per car on brand new "premium" interior modelling is pointless. Either full premium or nothing. There's too much car and track stuff that could be modelled/upgraded instead with this time. There was a poll somewhere asking which view people prefer, and cockpit was 20% I believe.. on a Gran Turismo enthusiast forum! I'd guess it's more like 10% overall.. staistics PD surely has collected when logging in.

I welcome anything premium thet can throw at us, but really there's only so much content you can expect for $60, and it's already A LOT. This time, they can carry everything high-polygon over to PS4, we should have a ton of beautiful content to look at. EVEN IF it means a large lot with cockpit-less "semi-premium", I'll take em, and yes the worst standards should maybe be removed, but just give online lobby hosts the option to allow/disallow semi's and the whole world will be happy. My feeling is the fewest people will set their lobby to 'only premium allowed'...

Back