should the online saving be axed?

should the online save be axed?

• yes

Votes: 162 89.0%
  • no

Votes: 20 11.0%

• Total voters
Well after getting the game yesterday and working through missions and tests, and keep getting the trying to reconnect to server rubbish, should the online saving be axed?

I get the frustration, but the second the online save is axed, people are going to cheat. I guarantee it.

Sony is a multi-billion dollar corporation. If they can't find a way to prevent cheating without going the online only route they don't deserve to be a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Money is irrelevant. It's pretty much impossible to prevent cheating if you have the save client side rather than server side.

It's like with a computer, no matter how great your anti-virus/anti-tampering is. If someone has physical access to it, they will compromise it given enough time. If they only have remote access through the net, you can lock it down completely.

Money is irrelevant. It's pretty much impossible to prevent cheating if you have the save client side rather than server side.

It's like with a computer, no matter how great your anti-virus/anti-tampering is. If someone has physical access to it, they will compromise it given enough time. If they only have remote access through the net, you can lock it down completely.

Developers operating on much smaller budgets have been able to make their games un-moddable on PC or are able to detect mods and ban them from certain parts of the game.

If they can manage that, I'm sure Sony could find a way to make a save file tamper proof. Or at least devise a system to check for modified saves.

Developers operating on much smaller budgets have been able to make their games un-moddable on PC or are able to detect mods and ban them from certain parts of the game.

If they can manage that, I'm sure Sony could find a way to make a save file tamper proof. Or at least devise a system to check for modified saves.

How? I don't think you're understanding the problem.

You can't have any system that could know that an offline save file has been tampered with.

There is no way to tell if a save file having 1 car one day, and 100 cars the next is valid or invalid. There's no way to tell if any values in the save file are valid or invalid if it's offline.

The only way I can think of, would be encrypting the save file, and having an offline and online decryption key. That would protect direct modification of the save file, but it wouldn't prevent modification of the game offline, then saving through normal game process.

As soon as the save file is allowed to go from offline, to online, anything that is transferred from offline to online is up for modification and cheating. No system can prevent this.

That's the nice thing about being on the consumer end, the "how" isn't my problem to solve.

I don't know if there is a perfect solution. But Sony/PD better figure something out because this online-only thing doesn't make them look good and will cost them money as the word spreads.

That's the nice thing about being on the consumer end, the "how" isn't my problem to solve.

I don't know if there is a perfect solution. But Sony/PD better figure something out because this online-only thing doesn't make them look good and will cost them money as the word spreads.

Yeah I'm trying to tell you, there is literally no way to solve that. It is an unsolvable problem. Telling them to just "figure it out" is like telling them to just "make online work without internet". It's a nonsense question because it's an impossible thing to do.

Yeah I'm trying to tell you, there is literally no way to solIt is an unsolvable problem. Telling them to just "figure it out" is like telling them to just "make online work without internet". It's a nonsense question because it's an impossible thing to do.

I have a very hard time believing this is an impossible to solve issue. Especially considering GT seems to be the only console game that regularly has these issues with save files.

I have a very hard time believing this is an impossible to solve issue. Especially considering GT seems to be the only console game that regularly has these issues with save files.

Every other game has cheaters.

Yeah, you can ban them when you find them. But that still affects gameplay until you ban people.

Every other game has cheaters.

Yeah, you can ban them when you find them. But that still affects gameplay until you ban people.

There's probably an interesting discussion around which has a greater impact on the game for most people; cheaters or online only saves. Personally I don't find that I really see many cheaters at all in other racing games, but that's just me.

I do also notice that there's a non-trivial group of people who label anyone who goes faster than them in a racing game as a cheater, because clearly they're God's gift to the world with wheels on. In fact, I've never seen a game where cheating was so rampant that it spoiled the game. The closest I've seen is GT5 glitch rooms, and even that was kind of fun. And it's not like that had anything to do with saves.

:lol: @ this poll. Whats worse, requiring an online save (and ps+ you cheapskates :P). Or losing all of your progress because your PS4 went out, or the HDD died. But thats the IT guy in me talking.

Jerome

Every other game isn't sanctioned by the same guys that are bringing the "halo" (or whatever they're going to call it) to F1 next year. We are dealing with a different beast here.

I was just thinking, remember when GT5 came out we couldnt back up our saves, but later on they changed it because of the backlash? maybe the same will happen here..

The online bit is rubbish, locking us out from the game:banghead:, some of us have zero interest in online gaming...What happens in the future when they decide to switch the servers off, we wont even be able to do scapes or anything..rendering the game completely useless:odd::odd::odd:👎

Here is another point to take into thought. Have we really bought the game or only the use of the game when PD allows us to use it through their servers. Right now, as mentioned too many times to count in this thread, the game is rendered useless when the servers are down. IMO access to garage, livery, scales, and campaign is a must, and offline saves, or syncing of progress made after the servers come back online would make the game whole. I have limited time to race, and too many times that I have had time to play, I have been crippled by the server errors and have walked away to do something else or loaded another game. Here's to hoping they reconsider the approach.

How? I don't think you're understanding the problem.

You can't have any system that could know that an offline save file has been tampered with.

There is no way to tell if a save file having 1 car one day, and 100 cars the next is valid or invalid. There's no way to tell if any values in the save file are valid or invalid if it's offline.

The only way I can think of, would be encrypting the save file, and having an offline and online decryption key. That would protect direct modification of the save file, but it wouldn't prevent modification of the game offline, then saving through normal game process.

As soon as the save file is allowed to go from offline, to online, anything that is transferred from offline to online is up for modification and cheating. No system can prevent this.
Not if you copy protect the save. If you can't back it up, you can't mod it.

Then if it corrupts you download the synched online save.

Either that or you should only be able to choose from the cars available from the class and not from your own garage.

So far 14 turkeys have voted for Christmas. Well done.:lol:

Last edited:
I have no issue with online saves. It's an online game for the most part, this was PD's way to counteract the cheating that happened with previous saves I assume. There are so many games that don't work when the servers are down these days that I find it normal, doesn't bother me personally in the slightest.

Would it be nice to have offline saves or offline access to photomode, livery editor etc? Yes, but we don't have that, and I'm not one to get caught up in the things we don't have, and would rather just get on with what we do have.

A reasonable solution to the savefile editing issue would be to store the savefiles on your console and then supply you with a car from the server side for the official e-sports events.

The savefiles would be vulnerable for editing, but it wouldn't have an effect on the official events. Driver ratings could be stored on the server, since you have no use for it offline anyway.

If they done something like GTAV did, where online and offline are two completely different saves. I reckon that could actually work, and maybe would keep people happy - for now.

The irony being, the game is so lackluster offline, people probably wouldn't mind having to play it twice(effectively)

So, play as much and do whatever you want offline/locally... then start out under another completely independent "online save" for Sport and online stuff, all housed on the servers.

A very small patch would sort that easily.

Like Tired Tyres, not going to buy this game until this is fixed.
If this is FIA whatever related, I am not sure why this would be an issue as I would expect people to have to race using spec vehicles, nothing custom or even from their own garage. I think PD went overboard to play it safe on this one as they would rather have a handful of disgruntled customers than a scandal of someone "hacking" the system and cheating an FIA esports event.

If this online saving is because of a tiny amount of people who cheat, then that is unbelievably stupid to inconvenience the vast majority. I don't care if people cheat as I don't really do online racing. Atm, if the servers are down I can do very little with this game. And as has been mentioned, what happens if / when they turn their servers off permanently? What happens if they are hacked and someone else damages their servers? Everyone's stats reset to zero?

I like the idea of having an online save option as a backup, but the game has to be 'saveable', and more importantly, playable offline.

I have recently had a PS3 go down with years of saved info lost, so the online backup would be very useful, but even so, every game was playable without an internet connection.

I bought a PS4 (GT Sport Edition) to play GT Sport and so I am a bit underwhelmed by both the machine and the game atm. It is a 1Tb PS4 but I can't save anything on it. My own fault for not doing enough research on both, though I'm not sure I saw anything about GTS only being usable when connected anywhere before release. :(

Maybe if I promise never to race online they will let me play and save without an internet connection. ;) :lol:

Well, it looks like PD have partially fixed the problem with the upcoming 1.06 update! We still have to save the game online sadly, but the fact we will be able to play the campaign, scapes and use the livery editor while offline is certainly a step in the right direction....

Oh trust me it's been discussed. Maybe doesn't have its own thread though (not sure).

It's a yes from me. It takes away FAR too much of the game when you're not online

Online saving is essential to prevent save hacking and thus cheating, yes there are parts of the game that don't need to be saved online (Scapes etc) but it's much easier to just keep the all the save data online than partition into offline and online components.

Online saving is essential to prevent save hacking and thus cheating, yes there are parts of the game that don't need to be saved online (Scapes etc) but it's much easier to just keep the all the save data online than partition into offline and online components.
Also big brother Kaz will be watching you! Jokes aside I hope it provides more valuable information about player behavior. Perhaps they noticed a lot of single player activity and decided to “unlock” offline playability. I can imagine they get a ton of useful data about player behavior from the save game server.

Back