Site is painfully slow (especially when quoting)

• Thread starter nuu1212
  • 34 comments

nuu1212

(Banned)
Germany
Germany
Title says it all. Site reaction times about 3sec. (perfect 50M internet connection on my part)
Quoting takes forever. Like 15sec until the pop-up appears...

fl=71f42
h=www.gtplanet.net
ts=1543469479.974
visit_scheme=https
uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36
colo=FRA
spdy=h2
http=h2
loc=DE
tls=TLSv1.3
sni=plaintext

I'm having a lot of problems too.

I can't insert links (URL). GTP freezes when I try. I can hardly upload photos. And other slow working problems.

Firefox

I'm trying to upload a screenshot which is not possible. I can hardly edit this post.

I'm having a lot of problems too.

I can't insert links (URL). GTP freezes when I try. I can hardly upload photos. And other slow working problems.

Firefox

I'm trying to upload a screenshot and it is not possible.

This is what happens when you put the Christmas decorations up before it's actually Christmas.

I'm having serious problems with GTP. It has never been this bad before.

• Posting doesn't work as it should
  • I can barely edit my posts
  • I can't upload screenshots or photos
  • Loading times are ridiculously long
  • Alerts don't work
  • etc ....

Again, I have problems editing this post.

I don't see any indication of problems with the site infrastructure, and everything has been running fine for me.

Can you visit https://www.gtplanet.net/cdn-cgi/trace and share what the "colo" value is? It should read something like "colo=IAD", etc.

I have this planet on Windows 7, and in my other room on Windows 10, I do not have any issues what so ever with anything on both systems with gtplanet :).

No, I'm afraid not. There are no issues with the site infrastructure. The Amsterdam access point that you're connecting to is operating normally according to the network provider, and I was able to confirm this by connecting to Amsterdam directly. Even with the data making the round-trip to Europe from the US, everything was fast for me.

Some of the problems, too, sound like they are things that are happening locally on your computer, like not being able to paste links. Such an action has nothing to do with the site code (and there have been no changes to the site code for several months now), which would indicate a problem with your browser or PC. Have you installed any browser plugins recently that might have permissions to interfere with or modify the web pages you visit? Have you tried using the site with another browser on your computer, or have you tried accessing the site on another device? What is that experience like?

@kikie I know it's a bit of a cliché, but have you tried switching your modem/router off for awhile? Creating a new connection to your provider often helps in fixing problems.

@kikie I know it's a bit of a cliché, but have you tried switching your modem/router off for awhile? Creating a new connection to your provider often helps in fixing problems.
I'll try that.

Tried it and didn't change a thing. Still the same problems. Most annoying problem is that I'm not able to upload anything anymore.

Last edited:
Have this happening off and on (mostly on) for me as well for the past month. Good 3-5 seconds before the site does anything, across multiple internet connections and multiple devices (all running Firefox/Waterfox, though).

It is only on GTP, since the Christmas decoration, that all the problems started. Every other single website that I visit, works perfectly.

Edit: I have to refresh constantly.

Last edited:
Have this happening off and on (mostly on) for me as well for the past month. Good 3-5 seconds before the site does anything, across multiple internet connections and multiple devices (all running Firefox/Waterfox, though).
Please check the link that I posted in my first reply to this thread and share your "colo" value.

It is only on GTP, since the Christmas decoration, that all the problems started. Every other single website that I visit, works perfectly.

Edit: I have to refresh constantly.
The Christmas decorations are just three image files and one line of JavaScript; they could not affect your experience on the site like this.

Please look at the questions and troubleshooting suggestions from my post above:

Have you installed any browser plugins recently that might have permissions to interfere with or modify the web pages you visit? Have you tried using the site with another browser on your computer, or have you tried accessing the site on another device? What is that experience like?

Please look at the questions and troubleshooting suggestions from my post above:
No, I'm afraid not. There are no issues with the site infrastructure. The Amsterdam access point that you're connecting to is operating normally according to the network provider, and I was able to confirm this by connecting to Amsterdam directly. Even with the data making the round-trip to Europe from the US, everything was fast for me.

Some of the problems, too, sound like they are things that are happening locally on your computer, like not being able to paste links. Such an action has nothing to do with the site code (and there have been no changes to the site code for several months now), which would indicate a problem with your browser or PC. Have you installed any browser plugins recently that might have permissions to interfere with or modify the web pages you visit? Have you tried using the site with another browser on your computer, or have you tried accessing the site on another device? What is that experience like?
Oops, I didn't read that post of yours. I went straight to @IfAndOr's post because of the "alert".

I haven't tried these options but thought about it doing so. I believe I tried another browser but I'm not sure I did. Using another computer is something I have been considering but this means that I have to go to the library and try on a public computer. Lack of time is an important reason I haven't tried that.

Firefox add-ons are still the same so that is probably not the problem.

BUT all problems started when I reinstalled my computer, I believe it was last week, (clean install from DVD). I have been thinking if this could be the problem. Maybe a Windows 10 update or lack thereof could be the problem? Or did I forget the install the LAN driver?

I'll disable and remove all add-ons, see if I can access another computer and try another browser and install the LAN driver again and let you know.

EDIT: I have been using Edge for about 8 - 9 minutes without the issues I have on Firefox. I was able to upload a photo, "Alerts" are working as it should be. Site is not slow anymore except when I want to edit a post It takes a few seconds to load the "edit window post thing".

I want to resolve the issues in Firefox because I don't want to use Edge for some strange reason.

Thanks @Jordan. :D

I'm almost 100% certain it is an add-on problem.

Last edited:
Great to hear you are getting closer to the source of the problem, @kikie.

Firefox add-ons update themselves automatically in the background, so you never really know when one of them may start causing problems even if you didn't make any changes yourself.

I would recommend disabling each add-on, one-by-one, until the problem stops and you have identified the bad actor.

Great to hear you are getting closer to the source of the problem, @kikie.

Firefox add-ons update themselves automatically in the background, so you never really know when one of them may start causing problems even if you didn't make any changes yourself.

I would recommend disabling each add-on, one-by-one, until the problem stops and you have identified the bad actor.
Yesterday, I found the add-on causing the problem. It was a youtube download add-on. Disabling this add-on made GTP as fast and properly working as before. Enabling this add-on and all problems started again.

Funny that I thought it was the Christmas lights/spirit that caused all the problems. :lol:

Trying not to be a flatterer and laying things on too thick, :P but I have to say that this kind of help and service is one of the things that make GTP so great. Too bad that the staff is doing its job so well. It would be so great to be able to break the rules without getting caught. :D :bowdown: :cheers: :dopey: :mischievous: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Site has been dog-slow for me for about a week. Serious delay, at least 3 seconds. This is on multiple devices on multiple networks, it's just achingly slow.

It was also a bit slower than usual for me today too, especially when clicking the like button or using the quick pop-up to see profiles. Right now, it seems fine though.

Still slow.
The extreme 15 sec quoting delay seems to be 'fixed', now at a whopping 3-5 sec, but maybe this is thread/quote dependent...

Last edited:
It would almost have to be something network related. All of the server infrastructure is fine and the site loads very fast for me.

I am on three networks though, Work, home and my sister in law two streets down. Technically 4 as i also use LTE cell coverage. Both the desktop and mobile sites are brutally slow, almost unusable.

Ran it in Firefox instead of Chrome, super fast. Why would Chrome make it such a dog to use?

Last edited:
Same here. Did some testing (just reloading the "Daily Race" Thread)

Chrome: 4 sec
Edge: 0.5 sec
Internet Explore: 1.0 sec
Chrome Inkognito mode: 0.5 sec
Chrome (ALL EXTENSIONS DISABLED): STILL 4 sec. (so no extension to blame!)

TURNS OUT, THIS TESTING IS ********.
AS SOON AS I AM LOGGED IN (NO MATTER THE BROWSER) THE LOADING TIME GOES TO 4 SEC!!!

Maybe this research will remove some of my warning points (which are due to cursing the site) !??

So, only thing to figure out: What is the actual difference if logged in?

Last edited:
Because guest's pages appear the same to all guests and are not "personalized" for each user, more data is cached and they can be generated faster, but it should not be a significant difference.

Probably a timeout (due to some error), as it looks like a consistent 3 sec delay.
Could be worse though, like 3 months and no one cares...

Latest Posts

Back