Slightly Mad Studios is Working on Its Own Console

I've found these by complete accident, wasn't even searching for the madbox

Much better looking, I think the shape should be a little more discret, also the coloring on the logo reminds of the logo of the PS2

Much better looking, I think the shape should be a little more discret, also the coloring on the logo reminds of the logo of the PS2

Yup, it looking sleek.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the RGB plague infected consoles. I imagine decorative fans behind tempered glass panels aren't far off either. :P

In another tweet I can see this
PROJECT CARS REVOLUTION

DwmSEsVUwAEYx9l.jpeg

Ian also says a wheel from them will came soon. Lol

I still think this is all just trolling.

That controller with sharp edges where your hand grabs the controller seems pretty uncomfortable and controller with screen? Lol. 1hour of game play till you need to charge again?

I think Ian's nephew just got a version of 3ds Max or Blender and learned to do some 3d modeling and did this for fun.

Admittedly, it is a nice design - However - Ian seems to emphasize that the controller is smaller than it looks. If that's the case, the touchscreen keypad is going to be pretty difficult to use:
DxbcllaVsAAA2WP.jpg

Admittedly, it is a nice design - However - Ian seems to emphasize that the controller is smaller than it looks. If that's the case, the touchscreen keypad is going to be pretty difficult to use:
DxbcllaVsAAA2WP.jpg
Pull your phone out, open the messaging app, look at the keyboard. Pretty small really. Now pick up a controller and look at the space the keyboard could fit. I'd say it's a very similar size and could work well. I like the idea of a controller with a display that changes based on what you are doing/playing.

Pull your phone out, open the messaging app, look at the keyboard. Pretty small really. Now pick up a controller and look at the space the keyboard could fit. I'd say it's a very similar size and could work well. I like the idea of a controller with a display that changes based on what you are doing/playing.

Except when you consider this console was supposed to be focused on VR. Having a screen on a controller is then absolutely useless and not benefitial at all. Who looks at their controller when gaming? Also battery life would be reduced dramatically. I thought the Wii-U already proven that the concept is interesting, but ultimately not practical.

I thought the Wii-U already proven that the concept is interesting, but ultimately not practical.

Plus, how much is a controller going to cost when it invariably gives up the ghost? with a screen like that, it's probably going to be $150 minimum for the bog standard controller, lest SMS decide to go the MS route and do an upgrade-able and replaceable controller.

Why not to push it a bit more - let's redesign the mad box so it includes docking for the controller, like, it should look like the controller is camouflaged withn the body when docked. ;)

A keyboard on a mobile phone is fine, but I'm thinking more about how much space there will be if the controller is smaller than it appears in the render. I imagine the width would be very marginally over the 6-inch mark for that button layout to be comfortable.

A keyboard on a mobile phone is fine, but I'm thinking more about how much space there will be if the controller is smaller than it appears in the render. I imagine the width would be very marginally over the 6-inch mark for that button layout to be comfortable.
It could be but a controller has got to be a certain size to fit in the hands of the 'average' gamer. Look at the Xbone, PS4 and Switch controllers and they are all about the same size. So it's a decent bet that the 'Madbox' controller would be a similar size. And looking at my own three controllers I reckon you could fit a usable keypad on them all. I'll be interested to see where this concept ends up.

You can fit an entire keyboard on an XB1 controller so it shouldn't be an issue just having A-Z one built into the face of the controller.

617a%2BLRPp3L._SX425_.jpg

Having said that, I'd hate to see the battery life on that thing as well as the price to replace it. :scared:

I hope Bell can make the 'Box' happen. One more competitor on the console market is never a bad thing, I think.

This is still happening? And wasn't just a lark by a known bull****ter?

I know right! How can a small developer ever compete with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft? It would have been plausible if they partnered with Samsung or perhaps a chinese manufacturer with deep pockets and the possibility to manufacture competitively.

I know right! How can a small developer ever compete with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft? It would have been plausible if they partnered with Samsung or perhaps a chinese manufacturer with deep pockets and the possibility to manufacture competitively.

In the slightest bit of credit to SMS and Ian as a whole, they are owned if not wholly, then well supported by Bamco. I can well imagine they're chipping a few bucks to make this exploratory effort everything more then that, but yeah, Ian's going to need a lot more.

I don't see the name being an issue. All needs is to choose another name. It could be ABCDEFG for all you know, it doesn't matter.
The main thing for now is the hardware and electronics etc development.
As for the two investors who pulled out that is more of an issue but if they could get investors willing to fill in it's all good.

If SMS goes under because of these ridiculous business ideas, I'll be pissed.
They have too many former Evolution folks in their team now and I don't want them to be screwed over again.

The future of consoles is "questionable"?

What about the PS5, the Xbox? Is the future of these consoles also "questionable"?!?

Seems doomed to fail, probably will remain a pipe dream. If it comes to fruition I predict a short run like the old CD32 & Atari Jaguar lol Most new consoles (PS1&XBOX1) were done at a loss to establish their brands I dont think SMS have deep enough pockets...

Back