SNAIL Holiday Event Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "battle" i had with thor for 9th was about the most ludicrous thing ever. As soon as one of us got by the other we would spin off the track. Back and forth for 8 laps like that. You would have thought finishing 9th meant certain death the way we were seemingly avoiding it. I really hope pcars2 is more reasonable on a ds4.

In gran turismo, you dont have to worry about driving a good line or having the correct entry into a corner. You can always adjust mid corner with more brake or a lift so there is no penalty for overdriving. You have to overdrive just to be competitive. Also the grass and curbs have almost no affect so you can use up the track and be aggressive.

In project cars, if you try to readjust mid corner you spin. If you lift or double brake you spin, if you have the incorrect angle or speed through a corner you spin and if you arent careful about rolling in and out of the throttle and brakes you spin. There is no room for error you have to be precise and deliberate with your inputs. This is why i can be competitive even with d1 drivers in gt but in pcars i am barely able to make just one clean lap let alone a lap that is remotely competitive.

Dont get me wrong though pcars has a lot of issues that i hope they sort out in 2 but already i am starting to enjoy pcars more. I havent even played gtsport in weeks because it is just so sterile compared to the visceral amd rewarding realism of pcars. Now if only i could get to a point where i have a reasonable level of car control so i can be comfortable racing online. I can barely even drive straight safely at this point lol.

What are those bad GT habits?

Whitey pretty much covered it. Reacting to situations in Project Cars the way one might in GT will often lead to slower times, lack of consistency & a longer learning curve. Every input requires a bit more of a methodical approach. Winging it and adjusting after the fact will rarely reap the same rewards that GT offers.

December 23, 2017 Holiday Event

See Live Results Here
Goals:
  • have fun.
  • pick your rival and try to beat him. We're not "equalizing" performance.
  • If you want to team up with someone, we can make some team points and you can coordinate liveries....
  • there will be a pitstop or two - sometimes your rival screws up his strategy and then you have bragging rights...:lol:
  • first come first serve. (teams get priority)
  • if room fills up quickly, then someone can open a second room. Hopefully there will be enough info here to set up the rooms correctly.
  • @SAMHAIN85 will keep score
Format:
Three races of 25 minutes each
Standard SNAIL settings, except where stated otherwise below

Race 1: (These cars are not eligible for Sunday night SNAIL Racing)

Gr B / Gr 3 Road Cars (Class N500) : Lap times varied from mid 2:15 to 2:20 ish

Mitsubishi LANCER EVOLUTION FINAL EDITION GR.B ROAD CAR
Subaru WRX GR.B ROAD CAR
Alfa Romeo 4C Gr.3 Road Car
Chevrolet CORVETTE C7 Gr.3 ROAD CAR
Ford MUSTANG Gr.3 ROAD CAR
Mazda ATENZA Gr.3 ROAD CAR
Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 Road Car (N500)​

Track: Auto Drome Lago Maggiore - GP 04:50 Clear

Qualify as per SNAIL procedure
BOP is on
Max tire is SS, Min tire SH (you can choose what you want)
Tire wear and fuel consumption set at 3 times
Fuel starting level is at 60 Liters​

Race 2: (Reverse Grid) (lap times around 1:34 should be ok)

Gr.B Rally Cars (Set all to default - Gentleman's agreement)

AUDI SPORT QUATTRO SI PIKES PEAK 1987
FORD FOCUS GR.B RALLY CAR
FORD MUSTANG GR.B RALLY CAR
HONDA NSX GR.B RALLY CAR
HYUNDAI GENESIS GR.B RALLY CAR
MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION FINAL EDITION GR.B RALLY CAR
NISSAN GT-R GR.B RALLY CAR
PEUGEOT RCZ GR.B RALLY CAR
SUBARU WRX GR.B RALLY CAR
TOYOTA 86 GR.B RALLY CAR​

Track: Colorado Springs - Lake 13:10 Clear

By default there is no tire wear or fuel consumed, so there won't be a pit stop
There is no BOP option, so Gentleman's agreement default settings​

Race 3 (Reverse Grid) Laptimes will dip below 1:20 (Fastn yer bra straps and remove yer false teeth.... this is going to be faaaast!!!)

Gr.1 Race Cars (BOP on) (No VGT cars)
AUDI R18 TDI AUDI SPORT TEAM JOEST 2011
NISSAN GT-R LM NISMO 2015
PEUGEOT 908 HDI FAP TEAM PEUGEOT TOTAL 2010
PORSCHE 919 HYBRID PORSCHE TEAM 2016
TOYOTA TS030 HYBRID 2012
TOYOTA TS050 HYBRID TOYOTA GAZOO RACING 2016​

Track: Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagiwa 19:30 Clear

Max tire is Racing Super Soft, Min tire RH (you can choose what you want)
Tire wear and fuel consumption set at 3 times
Fuel starting level is at Default (Full tank)​

I don't think all of your group 3 road cars have been released yet. They have been released one at a time in the mileage exchange and I'm not sure all of them have been through there yet.

Not sure how the "Team Up" part works - but aim to enjoy the challenge of longer races & pit stop strategies.

Not sure how the "Team Up" part works - but aim to enjoy the challenge of longer races & pit stop strategies.
Just find a teammate ahead of time and maybe coordinate similar liveries. If we get a full room we could have 8 teams, and keep track of individual points and "team" points. Its all just for fun but it might add some excitement to it

Can't lobbies go to 24 now so we should be able to do that for an unofficial event right?

Can't lobbies go to 24 now so we should be able to do that for an unofficial event right?

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done. Maybe having a room stable with 16 should be a prerequisite for increasing room size to 24. It may be an unofficial event but every effort should still be made to make sure it runs smoothly.

Fair enough. In between this and the next event maybe there can be some testing with full rooms to see how they differ in stability.

What do you think every Sunday night is? We have some stability issues with 10 or less in the room and we know from experience on a P2P network that the more users you introduce, the higher the probability for issues becomes.

This topic has been beaten to death many times. I don't know why it keeps getting brought up and I really don't know why I keep responding to it. With that realization, I'm done with this conversation and will make every attempt to ignore the topic in the future as beating a dead horse is not going to get anywhere.

reposthorse.gif

It's a tradition.

I don't think all of your group 3 road cars have been released yet. They have been released one at a time in the mileage exchange and I'm not sure all of them have been through there yet.

I just listed the whole group. Some may have bought them as they become available. If not, they can buy the one that is current. So, everybody can participate. I tested with the Mustang and Mazda and they perform the same. The BOP works well in this case. I think the Alfa has not been made available yet, but it doesn’t matter. Come to the races with what you have.

Before the Mustang was the Subaru WRX so those who bought the game soon after initial release may have a third option as well.

Sounds fun, damage set to light?
Yes, damage set to light. There will be lots of unintendet contact in the rally race. Just be patient and forgiving. We are not a rally league. If it goes well, we may start a petition to bring dirt tracks to Sundays.

Need a driving partner to form a team? I'm down if you are. I don't need to pick someone to race against. I'm beating everyone, even my partner, so beware. LoL

We can keep track of teams while doing the individual scoring, and just combine the 2 drivers of the same "team" to give them a team total. We keep track after all 3 races to see who has the most "individual" points like we always do, but also see who has the most "team points".

Since theres no rule against 2 D1's teaming up, I think we should set a BOP on the teams. Something like:

D1: -4pts
D2: -3pts
D3: -2pts
D4: -1pts
D5: 0pts

So if a team of D1 drivers finish 1st (16pts) and 2nd (15 pts), instead of their "team total" being 31 pts, with the BOP it now becomes 23 pts.

Another team example: D3 finishes 6th (11pts) and a D5 finishes 7th (10pts) their "team total" is 19 pts.

Just an idea to even things up a bit. Red probably has some good ideas for it

Last edited:
If you dont want your points tracked you can opt out. Others might enjoy it to see how themselves and their team stack up against everyone at the end of the night

If you feel you can keep up I'm taking applications for a possible partner for the Holiday Event. Either way, partner or no partner I'll be racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back