SNAIL Time Trial Events

• Thread starter SAMHAIN85
  • 341 comments
We've had race A with more than one car choice before... That being said I'll pass on this week if you are going to do race C.

We've had race A with more than one car choice before... That being said I'll pass on this week if you are going to do race C.

Yes we have, and there was not another option for a one-make so we stayed with race A for those weeks. If you look at the results for those multi-car weeks, you'll see a few quick drivers near the bottom simply because the chose to run a different car rather than the same as the quicker time drivers. The whole idea behind time trials is for everyone to use the same car, race C offers that this week.

If you are struggling with the Red Bull, just remember it was designed by an aerodynamicist, it has a lot of grip at speed.

Yes we have, and there was not another option for a one-make so we stayed with race A for those weeks. If you look at the results for those multi-car weeks, you'll see a few quick drivers near the bottom simply because the chose to run a different car rather than the same as the quicker time drivers. The whole idea behind time trials is for everyone to use the same car, race C offers that this week.

If you are struggling with the Red Bull, just remember it was designed by an aerodynamicist, it has a lot of grip at speed.
Those same drivers could have chosen faster cars. Makes no sense to have a faster car available and not use it if you are competing.
One thing I have noticed in Snail is the faster higher divisions excel at cars that are faster. The gap seems to widen. One thing I really enjoy about these time trials in race A is all divisions are pretty even and the times are fairly close.

I like the one make format. No reason to pass just because you don’t like the car or track.
Take me for example, 2 weeks ago at the Tokyo layout. I struggled all week to post a respectable time, but I still finished dead last.
Point being; I participated in the event because that’s what I signed up to do. I also like to see how I stack up against the rest of you drivers. You all are better and faster than me. Doesn’t deter me one bit. Makes me want to improve and get up there with you guys.

I hated the Red Bull Jr when I first tried this combo. Probably took a dozen laps before the car stopped trying to kill me at every corner, and even the straights if I moved the wheel.

What I learned:
Like @JamCar0ne said the downforce changes the cars behaviour at speed, especially increasing front end grip vs the rear.

Only use minimal and smooth steering inputs at speed when downforce is high. Can use more steering at slower speed.

Higher speed = higher DF=more grip. Making some corners safer taking faster than slower. Letting off at the S's and car is out of control? Higher speed and or less steering input may be needed. S's are easier at about 85% throttle but letting 50%+ will make it much more difficult because of lower DF.

Car is slower to turn at low speed ie hairpin due to reduced front end DF/Grip. Use more steering input at quicker rate. Think second apex of first corner and the hairpin.

Once I got used to steering at speed this car became a lot of fun and then you can explore how far you can push it, letting off less and less at each corner until you know the limit.

Hope that helps.

How to join:

Send a Friend Request to PSN User: SNAILRACING__ORG (2 underscores)
Go into Sport Mode > Select Race A > Qualifying Time Trial
Set your fastest lap

Laptimes will be updated every Wednesday and Sunday night

Good luck!
If we are to follow the post that the WHOLE thread is based upon we are to participate in Race A. Just my opinion, and I understand the circumstances that may cause a difference in opinion.

If we are to follow the post that the WHOLE thread is based upon we are to participate in Race A. Just my opinion, and I understand the circumstances that may cause a difference in opinion.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

View attachment 813066

THE SNAIL TIME TRIALS ARE BACK!

@JamCar0ne and I have decided to bring back something that was once very popular in SNAIL: the Time Trial events - with a bit of a twist. We will no longer be doing user generated combos. Instead we'll be using the Weekly Race A combo in Sport mode. Since the Race A combo primarily uses a one-make car with tuning prohibited, it falls in line perfectly for us to use for a SNAIL event.

The choice was based on format being used.

The whole idea of this was to bring back the Time Trials and mimic it as close to possible as it used to be years ago (a one-make TT)
So when we launched this, Race A up until that point primarily used a one-make tuning prohibited combo, which works perfectly for us. But once we got to Round 4, PD decides to throw a curve ball and introduces a non one-make combo. To be honest I cant remember if they've ever done that for Race A before. So we went with it, and since then its been fine. Now we get to Round 8 and apparently its no longer a one-make. (Maybe they're cycling this in every 4 weeks? I guess we'll find out Round 12) Race C is a one-make though, so it only makes sense that we call an audible and use that instead in the spirit of SNAIL. I will update the OP to help clear this up.

And just for the record @Fudman420 - you are currently leading the Race A board 👍

20190530_204003.jpg

Now hopefully everyone is happy :lol:

And one more thing - from this point forward we will be setting a cutoff for the final update @ 9PM EST on Sunday nights. So whatever laptime you have once the deadline rolls around, thats the one that will be used.

Last edited:
Since the update the Red Bull Jr is much easier to drive. Apparenly the front aero was increased. The twitchy steering is much improved. The car doesnt try to kill you every time you move the wheel. More steering input is required.

If you tried it and hated it, give it another shot. It's a lot more fun to drive now.

Someone at PD must have tried to run the Race C qualifier. The car has changed so much.

The steering is slower, the grip has increased front and rear. You can make large steering and throttle changes mid corner and the car does not kill you. You can also go full throttle out of corners much sooner.

Its has so much grip now that I'm having difficulty rotating the car as fast as I want.

You guys have to try this again.

Are FF cars more messed up after the update or has combo A always been this horrible?

They are about the same Imo. I haven't had a chance to play that much so I fired it up to test after reading your post and the VW felt close to the same. By the second lap I was 1:54.xxx. Different driving styles for different folks. I find the FF cars fun. To each their own because I can see many enjoy the rb jr and I feel like its a terrible car to drive. So much so that I did about 5 laps at the beginning of the week and just did 5 more and I still think it's a terrible drive.

Took me more the 5 laps to get used to Daily A. Its growing on me, at least the challenge is. I'm stubborn as heck

Are FF cars more messed up after the update or has combo A always been this horrible?
The TT was way worse than a previous combo with it. However the VW wasn’t bad. I didn’t have a ton of time to run laps.

The RB Jr is definitely MUCH easier to handle.

Yeah, that Scirocco isnt too bad. I'm gonna get it again tomorrow before work. I have to admit, I'm enjoying this FF challenge.

Last edited:
And heres the final times for Race A

View attachment 825201

@Fudman420
Thank you sir.
Hope I didn't cause to much drama but it was just a bit frustrating to find out Wednesday around 8pm my time it was going to be switched after I had already spent a decent amount of time on the holiday Monday setting a time for what I thought was the correct race (I wasn't with snail so I didn't know about the previous TT event). Going forward I know the deal. Thank you for taking the time to post the result of race A.

Finally starting to figure out the transition into T2. Had to completely change my approach. All the time can be gained or lost there. I think I have .150 left in me. Will find out Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Turns one and two are key. I finally figured out how to let the momentum carry me with minimal brake input. Still trying to shave some time as well. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

Back