So what are the best joypad controls

One more question, is there no slipstream in this game? I'll be right nose to tail with the same car in my class on a straight and I dont seem to make up any ground.

Last edited:
One more question, is there no slipstream in this game? I'll be right nose to tail with the same car in my class on a straight and I dont seem to make up any ground.

The slipstream effect definitely exists, but it is wildly different from class to class. For example with the Clios the effect is huge. What cars were you using? And at what AI difficulty?

The slipstream effect definitely exists, but it is wildly different from class to class. For example with the Clios the effect is huge. What cars were you using? And at what AI difficulty?
I was in the career GT4 class race, using the RTR Mustang (with the big rear wing) with no changes to tuning. I've been right behind a car but didn't seem to gain any ground. Difficulty was default at 60 but am thinking of turning it up a little due to getting used to the controller settings and also if I qualify mid pack being able to pass alot of the field on the opening lap, specifically the first few turns getting good position. On some turns the AI slows down quite a bit, whereas others they take turns at a normal pace. I've pulled a pretty good lead but then they can make up ground on me on other parts of the track. Some tracks I qualify 1-2 seconds faster than the field for pole, other tracks sometimes mid pack. Is default difficulty considered easy in this game for controller users? I'm still pretty new.

Last edited:
I was in the career GT4 class race, using the RTR Mustang (with the big rear wing). I've been right behind a car but didn't seem to gain any ground. Difficulty was default at 60 but am thinking of turning it up a little due to getting used to the controller settings and also if I qualify mid pack being able to pass alot of the field on the opening lap, specifically the first few turns getting good position. On some turns the AI slows down quite a bit, whereas others they take turns at a normal pace. I've pulled a pretty good lead but then they can make up ground on me on other parts of the track. Some tracks I qualify 1-2 seconds faster than the field for pole, other tracks sometimes mid pack. Is default difficulty considered easy in this game for controller users? I'm still pretty new.
This will drive you mad even more than getting your controller settings sorted.

The AI difficulty fluctuates so bad from one track to another & one class to another it's annoying, add a bit of weather into the mix it gets worse, normal rain they're just slow even at 100 difficulty or above, but once the track starts to dry up they get their super speed & sticky tyres back. PUDDLES grrr :(

I probably spend more time finding a good AI battle balance than I do setting up everything else.

Regarding controller use AI difficulty settings I actually use anywhere between 90-120 & 100 aggression, but I'm not always looking for the win, just a good battle.

Do a few custom races & try different options, the AI are terrible on the first lap so see if there's a difference between standing or rolling starts.

Or do the survival challenge, put difficulty at 120, aggression at 100, start at the front & see if you can defend till the finish or see how many places you lose.

This will drive you mad even more than getting your controller settings sorted.

The AI difficulty fluctuates so bad from one track to another & one class to another it's annoying, add a bit of weather into the mix it gets worse, normal rain they're just slow even at 100 difficulty or above, but once the track starts to dry up they get their super speed & sticky tyres back. PUDDLES grrr :(

I probably spend more time finding a good AI battle balance than I do setting up everything else.

Regarding controller use AI difficulty settings I actually use anywhere between 90-120 & 100 aggression, but I'm not always looking for the win, just a good battle.

Do a few custom races & try different options, the AI are terrible on the first lap so see if there's a difference between standing or rolling starts.

Or do the survival challenge, put difficulty at 120, aggression at 100, start at the front & see if you can defend till the finish or see how many places you lose.
Thanks for the insight. Would you consider yourself very good and a fast driver with a controller with AI set at 90-120? Now I feel like a noob set at 60, but like I said I'm new to the game as well as just getting used to the controller handling. I've only done the Ginetta junior series and just finished GT4, winning both championships. But I also usually finish 1st or no worse than top 5 in a 22 car field. But this could also be due to passing most traffic in the first lap or 2 due to traffic bunching up I suppose. I definitely have alot of room for improvement.

Thanks for the insight. Would you consider yourself very good and a fast driver with a controller with AI set at 90-120? Now I feel like a noob set at 60, but like I said I'm new to the game as well as just getting used to the controller handling. I've only done the Ginetta junior series and just finished GT4, winning both championships. But I also usually finish 1st or no worse than top 5 in a 22 car field. But this could also be due to passing most traffic in the first lap or 2 due to traffic bunching up I suppose. I definitely have alot of room for improvement.

I'm quite new to the game myself and I'm playing on controller. Like @Mr Grumpy said the AI is still over the place, I won both Ginetta championships at 120% but then when playing the touring cars, (original M3), had to lower it to 100 to be competitive, then as soon as I get to the international championship first round at Mount Panarama I can't win at 90 !! But you being at 60 shouldn't bother you in the slightest, if your having good a race then...that's great :)

I'm quite new to the game myself and I'm playing on controller. Like @Mr Grumpy said the AI is still over the place, I won both Ginetta championships at 120% but then when playing the touring cars, (original M3), had to lower it to 100 to be competitive, then as soon as I get to the international championship first round at Mount Panarama I can't win at 90 !! But you being at 60 shouldn't bother you in the slightest, if your having good a race then...that's great :)
Yeah I suppose I could turn up the AI difficulty just to see what happens as I haven't messed with it at all. The Ginetta series was pretty easy. Or try out the survival challenge with difficulty set high and start out front and see if I can keep pace as @Mr Grumpy suggested. But as long as I'm having a challenge while still having fun thats the most important to me rather than setting it too high for my comfort level just to say I have the AI set to very hard.

Not really, faster than average I'd say. Depends on the mood I'm in really, some days I'm feeling it like in the zone & other days I'm just meh.

Consistency is my main issue.

Like I said above I'm not looking for the easy win, just a good hard/close race, 3rd, 5th in the top 10.

Also don't give up straight away on a setting, the AI have some strange behaviour, slow at first then they speed up, then back off slightly & the top 10 or 5 (grid size pending) will pull away from the rest of the field.

Yeah I agree, the AI is extremely inconsistent, in some corners it is extremely slow, in others very fast, in quali they can be several seconds faster than normal pace, at the start with some cars you can actually pass more than 20 AIs off the line... When I race offline I just take it very easy in lap1, never full throttle, so it can be a better race at the start of lap 2. Then unfortunately it's always about passing the AIs in the same corner where they are slow lap after lap. I think you should just be adjusting the skill setting in per race basis and try to make it as much challenging and fun as possible for each race.

Yeah I agree, the AI is extremely inconsistent, in some corners it is extremely slow, in others very fast, in quali they can be several seconds faster than normal pace, at the start with some cars you can actually pass more than 20 AIs off the line... When I race offline I just take it very easy in lap1, never full throttle, so it can be a better race at the start of lap 2. Then unfortunately it's always about passing the AIs in the same corner where they are slow lap after lap. I think you should just be adjusting the skill setting in per race basis and try to make it as much challenging and fun as possible for each race.
Yeah AI can be weird, but tolerable for me, I'm still loving this game. In my career GT4 class race I turned up the skill level and agression for the next race on Nurburgring Sprint track and for some reason the field was so slow on that track, I blew them away, then the next race (I forget what track) they were competitive with me.

One thing that kills me is on opening pace laps before the race while warming up tires I sometimes have a car speed up real fast out of nowhere and try to pass or ride me on my ass and when the turn comes they dont give my position back or give any room and end up hitting me giving me a +5 sec penalty. It's always usually the BMW lol.

Last night I had to restart the warmup lap 5 times in a row because he passed, blocked me out and wouldn't give my position back at all and kept making contact with me around a hard turn (I had to try to regain my position or the rest of the field follows in a line passing me.) Another annoying incident in a race I was on pole so I had a 75mph speed limit before green and he would speed up so fast before the starting lights countdown I couldn't even keep my position because he was pushing me faster than 75mph to get my spot back and if you exceed that at start you get a penalty. I wish there was a pace car.

I recently got GTSport as well as I mention earlier but only played around for a little before trying this and haven't been back since. It took quite a while tweaking and getting used to the controller settings and handling on PC2 that I think if I play GTSport and come back to this I'll have that learning curve again as GTSport handles so easy with a controller. The GT4 race car handles fine when doing career for a while but then going back to custom races again like how I first started playing this game with the Z06, McLaren 720s, etc. feels a tiny bit twitchy again and need to get used to again, but using Road E cars for example are pretty easy and don't have that twitch tendency. But I'm loving PC2 and it has everything I wish GT had and more so I dont even know if I'll play GTSport much over this game sadly.

Last edited:
Last night I had to restart the warmup lap 5 times in a row because he passed, blocked me out and wouldn't give my position back at all and kept making contact with me around a hard turn
What have you got the AI aggression set to? With it too high this sort of behaviour can occur, especially at the start of a race - often causing crashes. I personally have it set to around 55 to 65, it seems a decent compromise to me.

It's always usually the BMW lol.
However that's probably hard coded into the game. :mischievous:

What have you got the AI aggression set to? With it too high this sort of behaviour can occur, especially at the start of a race - often causing crashes. I personally have it set to around 55 to 65, it seems a decent compromise to me.
It was default setting. It have turned it up since though because opponents back off too easily during races so I put it to 75 for now. I just started the Lamborghini Super Trofeo series.

And I just played a little GTSport and wow that plays so easy compared to this. Some due to the controller handling being much easier, but also the physics seem much more simple as well.

Two more questions, I changed the pit strategy tire settings to "automatic by weather". Will the default "none" set tires due to weather as well (due to temperature, rain, etc.) or do you need to manually change them?

And I have all penalties on, but get no consequences or penalty for hitting other cars, even spinning them out. Once in a while I will get "return to x position" but I think that's for cutting the track, for the most part theres none for contact. I can come down the opening lap into a turn with heavy traffic and almost bulldoze my way through. Or be door to door with another car and bash into him, sometimes sending him off track. Seems odd.

Last edited:
It was default setting. It have turned it up since though because opponents back off too easily during races so I put it to 75 for now. I just started the Lamborghini Super Trofeo series.

And I just played a little GTSport and wow that plays so easy compared to this. Some due to the controller handling being much easier, but also the physics seem much more simple as well.

Two more questions, I changed the pit strategy tire settings to "automatic by weather". Will the default "none" set tires due to weather as well (due to temperature, rain, etc.) or do you need to manually change them?

And I have all penalties on, but get no consequences or penalty for hitting other cars, even spinning them out. Once in a while I will get "return to x position" but I think that's for cutting the track, for the most part theres none for contact. I can come down the opening lap into a turn with heavy traffic and almost bulldoze my way through. Or be door to door with another car and bash into him, sometimes sending him off track. Seems odd.

Don't use automatic by weather when setting up a pit strategy, I've had it throw me back out on slicks before just because I pitted early when the rain started as I was trying to do the undercut.

Also had it the opposite way as well, on a drying track I was ready for slicks so I pitted & it kept me on wets.

My advice is set up 2 - 4 pit strategies, (car tyre selection pending)

1 - wet
2 - soft slicks
3 - hard slicks
4 - none (if your running a mandatory pit stop but don't need new tyres) gets you in & out quicker.

Regarding plowing through the field you have 2 options, you can either treat the AI like real players & back off a little so to avoid contact or turn on performance effecting damage (you can use full damage if you want, but don't moan when your leading & your car fails on the last lap).

The AI sometimes have no respect for your car either. I was door to door with a 917 K down the Mulsanne straight on Le Mans vintage and a 917 longtail squeezed between us which was fair because he was faster. Then just before he was clear he veered into my car putting me on the grass. Karma though as he lost it, span and was collected by the last car ending up on his roof.
The Mercedes SLS GT3 is a culprit for bullying as well. Drove me off the road in the 2nd chicane at Hockenheim classic.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of playing defensive instead of offensive.

I've put the AI @ 120/100 but I start at the front, then see if I can win while defending for my life or just limit the amount of places I lose (with the aim of finishing in the top 3,5 or 10)

It's great fun, hectic & heart pounding, especially with full damage on (you know what the AI is like in this game)

I don't bother, like some in races, some racers are good, in some are bad. Use static 79/60. 79 to have equal standard settings, because don't touch them too much. Anyway if somewhere AI is faster than me, they destroy me on those corners, so more than usual trying to push hard as I can to leave them far behind. Safety first!

Back