Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

Rumor has it that PS5 price has been reduced to 499, some say it will sneak in at 449.
So... there's now rumours that the rumoured price is now less than the previously rumoured price? :lol:

Here's a fun pattern for everyone:
Xbox One (Kinect bundle) launch price, 2013: $499
Xbox One X launch price, 2017: $499
Xbox Series X launch price, 2020: $499

PlayStation 4 launch price, 2013: $399
PlayStation 4 Pro launch price, 2016: $399
PlayStation 5 launch price, 2020: ?

So... there's now rumours that the rumoured price is now less than the previously rumoured price? :lol:

Ah, but which PS5...?

The digital version could be $399 and the pregnant one $449/$499 and you'd both be "right" with your numbers 💡

Incidentally, that's exactly what my guess would be.

Ah, but which PS5...?

The digital version could be $399 and the pregnant one $449/$499 and you'd both be "right" with your numbers 💡

Assuming everything else is the same, the disc drive delete is probably no more than £25.

While still waiting.
Can we still confirm that the diskless version has same specs as the disk version?
If so then that may still help PS go over with XSS.

Rumor has it that PS5 price has been reduced to 499, some say it will sneak in at 449.
But still waiting on the official announcement which hopefully comes next week so pre-orders can happen.

Yes same specs. Even down to the physical size of the console .

This is why I've been thinking Sony are waiting. Let MS have their moments, let people marvel at the cost of the XSS. Then blow everyone's minds by knocking $100 off it. $399/€399/£349 sounds perfectly reasonable and not impossible. $349/€349/£299 for the digital model. And Sony could then for the marketing of that one just say, its digital, but without the compromises.

Last edited:
It's going to cost more than the Series X, that's what most of the chatter has been saying for months now. The digital version might hit the $499 price point but the full fat version is going to be at least $50-$100 more I recon. Unless Sony had a heart attack at the Series S price and are willing to take a big hit.

Back in the day around the late nineties, before the playstation 2 came out, I remember reading somewhere that sony had copyrighted/registered the playstation name up to playstation 6 I think, I just remember thinking what!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Can you imagine how good a ps2,ps3,ps4 would be...:eek:.:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: At the time i had an original PlayStation and a saturn etc..

Full fat version will probably be $499 or $599.

Can't see them going under, and going over $599 would be interesting.

I recon it will be the same $499 as the xbox... And mmmaaayybe 449 for the disc-less version, But probably not quite that much lower.

If it costs more than the xbox, then I think the ball will be in Microsoft's court for the first time in a decade. This will be interesting... :D

While there are no surprises there, and it very likely is correct, I doubt that's official info.
It lists the SSD as content in the box, as if it's a separate component. That's a very weird way to put it.

Yeah, that info would only be on the outside of the box.

Pretty standard. Nice to see a base and HDMI being included though.

I remember when Sony inexplicably didn't include a HDMI cable with the PS3 and it was something that was slightly criticized at the time.

Maybe the base is included with the PS5 because it literally won't stand up or sit sideways on its own :lol:

The thing is so huge, they probably figured they should include a base so you can fit it into your set-up accordingly.

Ah, but which PS5...?

I don't see how the digital version will be much cheaper, if at all. I would assume it would come with a larger hard drive to compensate, which would drive the price back up.

I would assume it would come with a larger hard drive to compensate
I doubt they would add in a larger capacity solution. They have a very quirky and yet very specific 825GB with the ability to add in more storage in the form of NVME SSD.

I think the digital edition would be priced so that they break even, and the standard edition is priced at a loss.

I don't see how the digital version will be much cheaper, if at all. I would assume it would come with a larger hard drive to compensate, which would drive the price back up.

No thats not really how the digital vs physical thing works.. the digital one will be cheaper by at least $30, most likely $50. The console itself is exactly the same in every way down to its physical size. It just doesn't have a disc drive. No bigger hard drives, no reasoning for it not to be cheaper. The whole point is to have a cheaper entry point.

The actual cost difference is small - a disc drive is cheap. The discless version will sell for less because they'll make more money on games - they get a bigger cut when sold via the PSN store, which is the only place that you can buy games digitally. Owners of disc version will typically buy online or from a bricks & mortar shop, Sony get less of a cut from that and also owners can borow games from friends, buy secondhand etc.

I will not be surprised if the disc version is $100 more. To my mind its worth paying.

My personal plan, price dependant, would be to buy the digital PS5 to have alongside my current Xbox One X. So a lower price point would be very attractive to me.

I've not seen a 4K internal or external PC disk drive for less than £50, most are between £75 and £130. so i would hazard a guess that the digital version, given that it's otherwise identical spec-wise, will be $50/£50/€50 less.

Different skus have never been realistically priced. There was a £50 difference between 500GB and 1TB PS4 slim models despite the fact to Sony the cost difference would have been a few quid.

They have to make the cheaper one a worthwhile proposition, so the digital one will never be close in price to the drive one.

I can easily see $500 and $400, or maybe $350 and $450 if they can manage to go that low.

I get the feeling Sony's strategy is to get as many bums on seat as early as possible to corner the market they said 11million consoles ready to ship by year end in march. Im hoping for an aggressive pricing strategy. If they were to come in low at 399 it will put the cat among the pigeons. I wonder what the launch line up will be? Perhaps they have withheld a killer app announcement too... A low price-point is possible given that most of their revenue is software and subscriptions fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Latest Posts

Back