Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Logo at CES 2020

• Thread starter Nowax
  • 57 comments
@Griffith500 It really is. I've yet to take the VR plunge, largely because it doesn't have a solid enough foundation for me but I was taken aback when the 5 million figure was cited.

A more powerful headset, something on par with, if not better than the HTC Vive is definitely going to happen.

This console is the only one possible to buy since I bought my PS3 but ONLY IF it has backwards compatibility with PS2,3,4.

PS2 - Possible - emulators already exist for this.

PS3 - Highly unlikely - while emulators do exist they don't function well, and the architecture of the PS3 is so unique that I doubt it could be done adequately at this point in time, even on a high end gaming rig.

PS4 - Definitely - It's already been all but confirmed. Hell it might even have been confirmed.

PS2 - Possible - emulators already exist for this.

PS3 - Highly unlikely - while emulators do exist they don't function well, and the architecture of the PS3 is so unique that I doubt it could be done adequately at this point in time, even on a high end gaming rig.

PS4 - Definitely - It's already been all but confirmed. Hell it might even have been confirmed.
Sony has the code and the hw to make it work for PS3 though. Anyone remembers the chip that emulated ps2 on ps3? The same way is needed for ps3 emulation. Not very easy, not too dificult either. Let's see.

Sony has the code and the hw to make it work for PS3 though. Anyone remembers the chip that emulated ps2 on ps3? The same way is needed for ps3 emulation. Not very easy, not too dificult either. Let's see.
When the PS3 had backwards compatibility to play PS2 games, it didn't work well either. So they had to scrap it with the PS3 slim and super slim.

Let's just hope the new PS5 will be able to play PS4 without any FPS issues or any problems similar to that.

Shame they didn't come up with a new logo for it, doesn't have to be crazy but at least it could have been different. Personally I don't like the curvy font used on the 4&5 logos.

When the PS3 had backwards compatibility to play PS2 games, it didn't work well either. So they had to scrap it with the PS3 slim and super slim.

On the hardware emulated PS3 models it worked great, hardware which would probably cost all of $10-20 to put in each console today. Hopefully Sony realise how much value it would add.

Last edited:
Great. There goes my early retirement.

Don't fret, this is obviously the work of @SlipZtrEm

tenor.gif

Jerome

VXR
PS10 will almost certainly be the PSX.

I was going to include that but the font I used didn't have any punctuation. I was going to write it as "PS-X" because, as pointed out, "PSX" is three times too many. :lol:

Still better than XBOX's interesting naming scheme.

I couldn't care less about the logo, how the product works is what matters.

Let's just hope the new PS5 will be able to play PS4 without any FPS issues or any problems similar to that.

PS4 games on a PS5 should not be an issue at all as they are the exact same architecture - X86-64. Emulation won't be needed as the PS4 games would be able to run natively. In theory it should be just like getting a new PC - everything still works as before, just faster.

The only issues that I can see is that if Sony artificially restricts PS4 games on the PS5, which they won't as there'll be hell to pay if they do. Or if the OS for the PS5 has changed at a fundamental level from the PS4's OS, therefore requiring virtulisation for PS4 games to run. This would probably incur a performance penalty, but the PS5 is likely to be powerful enough to overcome that.

PS4 games on a PS5 should not be an issue at all as they are the exact same architecture - X86-64. Emulation won't be needed as the PS4 games would be able to run natively. In theory it should be just like getting a new PC - everything still works as before, just faster.

The only issues that I can see is that if Sony artificially restricts PS4 games on the PS5, which they won't as there'll be hell to pay if they do. Or if the OS for the PS5 has changed at a fundamental level from the PS4's OS, therefore requiring virtulisation for PS4 games to run. This would probably incur a performance penalty, but the PS5 is likely to be powerful enough to overcome that.
Alright, that's good to know. This is one good reason for me to buy it once it comes out in the stores. 👍

This console is the only one possible to buy since I bought my PS3 but ONLY IF it has backwards compatibility with PS2,3,4.

Sony has 100% hardware compatible PS1 & PS2 on a single chip. No idea about any efforts to reduce the PS3 to similar status but I personally wouldn't expect anything but PS4 compatibility.

So maybe that would indicate that the console is slated to be released this year.. I mean it won't be delayed for 1 more year, hopefully.

Here's some exclusive behind the scenes footage of the design process. Amazing stuff... :bowdown:

:sly:

Sony has 100% hardware compatible PS1 & PS2 on a single chip. No idea about any efforts to reduce the PS3 to similar status but I personally wouldn't expect anything but PS4 compatibility.
I wonder who still plays PS1 games nowadays. Regardless, it is a good addition.

So maybe that would indicate that the console is slated to be released this year.. I mean it won't be delayed for 1 more year, hopefully.
It is 100% confirmed for a release just before holiday season. Same for Xbox.

It is 100% confirmed for a release just before holiday season. Same for Xbox.
Yes but which holiday season? There is one in the SUMMER you know.

Just because they said "Holiday Season" doesn't necessarily mean Christmas....

It does. Many multi-national companies use these terms because they are vague and things can change. Holiday 2020 means the months around November.
A summer release would not be a good idea, this is when E3 is (thus a lot of press for video games generally) and is generally a poor time of year for video games sales due to... it being summer...

It does. Many multi-national companies use these terms because they are vague and things can change. Holiday 2020 means the months around November.
A summer release would not be a good idea, this is when E3 is (thus a lot of press for video games generally) and is generally a poor time of year for video games sales due to... it being summer...
People not playing games in summer is a myth.

Tokyo Olympics is in the summer. It will be the most watched sport in the world until the next Olympics in four years time. If Sony streams it via the PS5 using your broadband connection and its own 5G chip in 8K... You'd need to buy, a Sony badged, 8K TV to view it. Or aspire to own one. Sony gains a priceless lead over a Microsoft gearing up for a November release....

Won't happen of course, we'd already be seeing available for pre-order in shops for it.

With the capital H, it's a US marketing term that means the period from Thanksgiving through to New Year. The other holiday periods - or rather vacations, because two countries separated by one language - are Spring Break and Summer Vacation.

It's still a myth. Sales tank in summer because no games are released. Instead they are, mostly, clumped together around Christmas. That way only the most famous franchises make any headway. Other games get lost among the masses and would do considerably better if sold at a different time of the year.

Back