sound of cars

• Thread starter IH8GWB
  • 49 comments
Yeah, that flu kicked my ass. There's more to the story. I went to the local Safeway and made a salad just before I got sick. I don't remember if I had spinach or not, and I started freaking out a little!

Hey I finally drove a Vector W8 the other day for the first time! What a delicious sounding car! Did the GT All Stars in it, actually.

Last edited:
The new Honda S2000 in GT4 sounds EXACTLY as it does in real life. I heard one zoom by yesterday. :) But from somewhere I heard that polyphony put microphones and recorded the sounds of each car. So far the new S2000 is the only car that i believe that they did this.

Likewise, I just heard a STi Subaru drive by the other day. The owner obviously modified it cuz when he switched gears, you could hear the wastegate on the turbo dumping air *wissssh*. I never heard that in a real car before, believe it or not; it gives some credence to all the hiss cars make in GT2...altho I still think the turbo hiss is way too loud in some cars.

Which car does everyone think sounds the worst? Definitely I think the GT40 sounds bad. I mean, it's probably a real sample, but perhaps the sound engineer recorded the GT40 from an old race on TV or something!

Last edited:
For me, I don't like the sound of most Subaru and Ford. Although it do seem sounds like real life one, they do not excite me (to race with them).

GT2 sounds are definately much better than GT4 sounds, which is a shame in many respects for GT4.

I liked the turbo "dumping of air" sounds in GT2, which to me make it feel far more realistic than GT4, since the sounds are only apparent after you get the turbo upgrades (and only for the highest compression upgrades as well)

It is also only applied to cars which seem to exhibit it in real life. E.g. The WRX with stage 3 makes the blow off sound, but a 1990 RX-7 with stage 3 does not (which it shouldn't/doesn't, at least I've never heard one do this)

GT4 cars sound the same regardless of upgrades, which greatly disappointed me

Which car does everyone think sounds the worst? Definately i think the GT40 sounds bad. I mean, it's probably a real sample, but perhaps the sound engineer recorded the GT40 from an old race on TV or something!

The GT40 Road Car (special) is the most disappointing; it sounds like a strip of paper caught in a portable electric fan.

But the worst sound is the Mazdaspeed Demio (prize car); it has that annoying "UFO" sound you get with hybrids that use NA and Turbo upgrades at the same time.

The Shelby S1 with a sports or semi-racing exhaust (I forget which) sounds like a bandsaw. It's really annoying because this same sound sample is repeated on several other cars as well.

Last edited:
GT2 seem to have the most variety of engine sounds, IMO! I like the Vectors and the CTR-2 Turbo and lastly the Trueno Corolla Modded out, These are some of my favorites sounding cars in GT2...

I love raw sound of BTR :).

Creating some mp3 in this thread make me do this:

Using winamp filter for any application.

The purpose for this is to use winamp filter for any application that do not support filter, this is including game or anything.

Why? because I have favorite winamp plugin, enhancer. This plugin is like freeware version of dfx or dspfx that do harmonic restoration of sounds, no muffled sound anymore :).

To do it you need:
- Winamp
- Linein plugin (http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/)
- another sound card or virtual sound card app, for windows 9x I only know VAC.
- enhancer

How:
- install VAC, skip if you have second sound card
- make this device as your default player
- open winamp
- install linein plugin
- using linein wizard, capture VAC or your second sound card output
- use your sound card as winamp output
- press play in winamp

After that you can play anything that will goes through winamp. Of course you can do whatever you like in winamp too, using visual, max bass, record mp3 etc.

The downside of this method is, the sound arrive a bit late. But I don't mind this as what I want is better sound when playing GT2 :).

So, I get better treeble and very deep bass using this :D. Playing GT2 become more addictive :). Brrrummmmmm, pssshhhhh, vrooooom.............. :D.

why do GT2 cars sound much better that GT4.

you will think over ten times the stoage space they should sound better.
GT2 does give you a variety of nice Engine sounds, GT4 has a nice amount also but the Turbo Blow by etc sounds better IMO in GT2.

My favorite turbo sounds were without a doubt from GT1..just a pleasant whirring. GT2's boost & dumpvalve sounds are realistic, but way too loud. GT3...I don't know...the whoosh is still there, but there's hardly any spool noise...I haven't driven anything too powerful yet, though.

Last edited:
Likewise, i just heard a STi Subaru drive by the other day. The owner obviously modified it cuz when he switched gears, you could hear the wastegate on the turbo dumping air *wissssh*. I never heard that in a real car before, believe it or not; it gives some credence to all the hiss cars make in GT2...altho i still think the turbo hiss is way too loud in some cars.

Which car does everyone think sounds the worst? Definately i think the GT40 sounds bad. I mean, it's probably a real sample, but perhaps the sound engineer recorded the GT40 from an old race on TV or something!

I'm pretty sure what you heard in the STi was the Blow-Off Valve during gear shifts. That is the one that makes that awesome 'pssshhhh' noise. I love it.

Anyway, just the other day, I found my GT2 GT mode disc :D :D
I lost it ages ago, and I finally found it, with the black side covered in dust, but thankfully, unharmed :D .

Since then, I've started from scratch, as I lost my old 80 or 90% complete save game.
I reckon the turbocharger sounds are the best on GT2 (you can barely hear them on GT3 & 4 :grumpy:)

My favourite sounding cars are the Supra's, both the old and new models. They kick butt!! My new RZ used to be my drift car that I would take to Super Speedway :) It was great fun, even if the continuous crap tyre screeching sound did get annoying.

GT always concentrated on more of a blow-off valve type noise which is more the gentle "p-shhhoo", alot of the turbo vehicles i have been in (mostly silvias) have a more distinct "sneezing" sound. Either way it was a welcome featur IMO, and i miss the sounds in GT4. I agree that the dynamics of the turbo was un-realatic in relation to the dynamics of engine noise, if these sound attenuation issues were fixed i would love to hear more pronounced blow-off / wastgate noises in GT:HD.

I'm pretty sure what you heard in the STi was the Blow-Off Valve during gear shifts. That is the one that makes that awesome 'pssshhhh' noise. I love it.

Anyway, just the other day, I found my GT2 GT mode disc :D :D
I lost it ages ago, and I finally found it, with the black side covered in dust, but thankfully, unharmed :D .

Yeah that is what I heard: blow-off valve. The STi that I saw was all shiny and lowered and stuff. When the dude shifted gears it was like wisssssssssh just like the game. Anyways, glad you found your GT2 disc! :) Makes me happy to find stuff, too.

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed anything, I really didn't feel like reading the entire thread. Read the first page and most of the last to get the gist of what's been happening with this thread. I just wanted to know what people think of the sound of the Shelby Coupe in GT2. NOT the Cobra roadster that everyone and their mother owns or has a replica of, but the one that (IMO) looks like an actual race car, with a roof and a large lip spoiler on the back. I remember finally buying it and rushing to try it out, only to find that the thing sounds...broken. It sounds like stuff is knocking around inside the engine and, if anything, sounds more like a truck than a high performance car.

I haven't cracked open GT2 for some time, but I wonder if there's anyone who may know if this is the actual sound of the car or if there's some sort of issue with the sample used for this car.

Sorry if I missed anything, I really didn't feel like reading the entire thread. Read the first page and most of the last to get the gist of what's been happening with this thread. I just wanted to know what people think of the sound of the Shelby Coupe in GT2. NOT the Cobra roadster that everyone and their mother owns or has a replica of, but the one that (IMO) looks like an actual race car, with a roof and a large lip spoiler on the back. I remember finally buying it and rushing to try it out, only to find that the thing sounds...broken. It sounds like stuff is knocking around inside the engine and, if anything, sounds more like a truck than a high performance car.

I haven't cracked open GT2 for some time, but I wonder if there's anyone who may know if this is the actual sound of the car or if there's some sort of issue with the sample used for this car.

It's been several months since I drove the Cobra race car, but yeah, I seem to remember what you describe. :ill: I'm not sure if it's the actual Cobra that you hear, and I've never come across any sort of valid confirmation other than the back of the GT2 case, which claims all the cars in the game are represented by their true-to-life sound. (yeah...)

But I do know that the audio samples (tire squeals as well as engine) are actually a loop of sound lasting perhaps a half second, and if any sort of anomaly gets recorded in that loop, you'll hear it again and again as a *pop* or a *hitch*, know what I mean?
whhhiiiiir pop whiiiiiiir pop whiiiiiir pop...

Last edited:
Back